• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

DrSlek

I just finished it.

I read about the
supersuit Diamondback wears
and saw some photos online and thought it looked like the lamest shit. However it was actually okay when I got to that episode.

Overall I liked the series. But I think the weakest part was the villains. The duo of Cottonmouth and Shades was working well for me, and Mahershala Ali gave a fantastic performance. The introduction of
Diamondback
felt forced and unnecessary, and his performance was not that great. However a lot of that could probably be attributed to the crappy dialogue he had.

Kurdel

Banned

Racist article said:
Instead Netflix delivered a champion of deviancy, who will encourage black kids to believe they can pick fights, confront police and have a hoodie protect them. How cool is that? Way to add to the black body count Netflix. Way to go!

giphy.gif

KingKong

they really need better writers. Get someone like the Justified people to do it (I know it's mostly the book, but they adapated it for tv)

Christine

As soon as
the tie pin came off I knew Chico was dead meat.
Also there was no reason that he would announce where he was going, heh.

Show is pretty fun so far.

Luke stomping people isn't cool? This isn't DD.. Lol.

Cats out here want 7 min fight scenes with tons of flips.

Luke ends fights quick because he has the power too. If DD could he would too.

I get where you are coming from, and I agree, from a character point of view.

I don't want martial arts or long fight scenes.

My problems with the action in this show have far less to do with "In universe" reasons. It's more about how it's filmed. Angles used.

None of the hits look like they have any impact. This has nothing to do with the characters, or what he is capable of. It's all in how the scenes are filmed. Yes, Cage has to hold back, but if you hit someone hard enough to go through a wall, there is still going to be an amazing impact, even if cage is strong enough to make it look easy. Every hit in Daredevil looks brutal as fuck. The camera work during the fight scenes have to do with this as well, the angles used during the hits, etc.

Luke should look like he is HURTING these people. They just look like they are tapped and fall asleep.

I imagine they don't have any really good "action scene" type of guy on set, or a director who's not good with action. I'm only on episode 7, maybe some of the stuff gets better. This show is certainly an improvement over Jessica Jones action wise. The action scenes in Jessica Jones are down right awful, day time TV type of shit.

Again I haven't finished yet. I will come back with updates when I do. So far I'm enjoying this show quite a bit. I just want more realistic violence I guess. Daredevil set the bar very high.

TheFlow

Banned
I get where you are coming from, and I agree, from a character point of view.

I don't want martial arts or long fight scenes.

My problems with the action in this show have far less to do with "In universe" reasons. It's more about how it's filmed. Angles used.

None of the hits look like they have any impact. This has nothing to do with the characters, or what he is capable of. It's all in how the scenes are filmed. Yes, Cage has to hold back, but if you hit someone hard enough to go through a wall, there is still going to be an amazing impact, even if cage is strong enough to make it look easy. Every hit in Daredevil looks brutal as fuck. The camera work during the fight scenes have to do with this as well, the angles used during the hits, etc.

Luke should look like he is HURTING these people. They just look like they are tapped and fall asleep.

I imagine they don't have any really good "action scene" type of guy on set, or a director who's not good with action. I'm only on episode 7, maybe some of the stuff gets better. This show is certainly an improvement over Jessica Jones action wise. The action scenes in Jessica Jones are down right awful, day time TV type of shit.

Again I haven't finished yet. I will come back with updates when I do. So far I'm enjoying this show quite a bit. I just want more realistic violence I guess. Daredevil set the bar very high.
now this is a valid complaint. fair enough

ultra7k

Part way through episode 8. Really enjoying this way more than JJ, which I found to be quite entertaining. Killer soundtrack too.

I know this takes place after JJ, but is it before DD season 2, or concurrent?

TheFlow

Banned
Part way through episode 8. Really enjoying this way more than JJ, which I found to be quite entertaining. Killer soundtrack too.

It takes plsxe after.

The punisher is referenced a lot. I also remember hearing this takes place 6 months after JJ

The timeline I saw has the first part take place concurrently with DD S2, the second part after. There's a bit of overlap.

Basically,
there's no time gap between Claire's departure from Daredevil and her arrival in Luke Cage.

Popping my head in here, only at ep 6 but holy fucking shit, I am in love with this show.

The audio director needs to win an award for this show's soundtrack and use of music. Goddamm

DBT85

In the middle of Ep 8.

I have to say as a middle class white boy from London, I'm not often taken back by someone's language and I fully grasp there are words that I am not supposed to say. However this has now gone too far.

It's "Lego" Rosario, not "Legos".

- J - D -

Ep 7.

I'm pretty disappointed with the direction they took with
Cottonmouth
, though I suppose I can't be surprised given the path this character took all the way up to this point. It's a shame because
Mahershala Ali
is so good in the role. The second they started with the flashbacks, I knew
he
was done for.

Also, I love
Rosario Dawson's Claire Temple but I'm finding her repeat appearances in these Netflix Marvel shows
a bit curious, and a little contrived. And she's given very little to do in them. Let me boil it down: 1)
Attempt to use her medical skills to save someone's life
. 2) Tell the hero how awesome they are and to never give up. Yay. Granted, she gets a little bit of development, but it feels perfunctory.

Still, an enjoyable series so far and I'm just barreling through these episodes faster than I did with DD s2 and JJ.

ColdPizza

Banned
On episode 11. Still love Rosario.

Chase seen in the catering van was laughable. I still enjoy these shows though. The music selection in this show is fantastic.

Episode 8

omg Diamondback is INCREDIBLE

Doing all stupid vault kicks/dropkicks n shit, he's like me if I ever got in a fight

Half way though episode 9. I'm so bored.

this misty crap is a drag. Get to the end already!!!!!!!!! Everything about this series takes forever. Cage slowly walking around bleeding is completely dull too. Wtf show runners???? Did you just want to drag everything out this long just to get more episodes?

Shaanyboi

Banned

After. All the shows/movies are in chronological order, flashbacks aside.

kirblar

Halfway through the back end of the series (episode 10) and this is totally turning into
DD S2 or Death Note (whole series) again. The first half is great, but the second is going totally off the rails.

Just finished the series. I stand by my earlier rankings, I think its certainly better than JJ but doesn't surpase DD imo. Still really solid and they have to do a Season 2.

There were only 2 real plot points that I didn't like 1.
Mariah killing Cottonmouth
and 2.
I don't like Luke and Claire together at all. I thought they would work better as a best friends dynamic.

Oh and Season 2 better feature a LOT of
Shades
. I love his performance

At ep 9

THEY FUCKING KILLED MY MAN COTTONMOUTH FOR THIS SHIT?I was loving this show up until that happened. smh. I hope this doesn't start dropping like a rock like DDS2

Just finished the show, watched it over two days. Seems like I have the opposite reaction to most people in this thread, up until episode 7 I thought the series was ok, but nothing amazing. Episode 7 onward I was in love. I'll post my thoughts on the whole season below:

Everyone here seems real fond of Cottonmouth, but I honestly wasn't that impressed by him until episode 7, when he got some flashbacks that gave him depth. And then he died. I was really hoping he would be gone when he got arrested at the end of episode 6, so I didn't entirely mind, even though he grew on me with those flashbacks. Diamondback was a crazy character, but honestly it's a marvel comic book show and I like the crazy villains, so he did it for me just fine. I felt the whole show just became more entertaining from episode 7 forward. (Always. SORRY I HAD TO) I was a little disappointed that there was no Jessica Jones in this at all, considering how big a role Cage had in her show. As a fan of the comics it also kinda rubbed me wrong that Luke ended up with Claire. Hoping that changes when he meets up with Jessica again in Defenders. I just want Squirrel Girl to be their nanny, damn it! Big part of me is also hoping that there is no Luke Cage S2 or Iron Fist S2 and they just merge into a Heroes for Hire show. But yeah, I ended up really enjoying the show. The early episodes weren't bad or anything, they just didn't "wow" me. That ending is kind of a bummer though, huh? Shades and Mariah get away scott free, and Diamondback ends up with Luke's old doctor? I was expecting at least one of them to actually get some sort of comeuppance. Diamondback is clearly going to come out in better shape then he goes in, at least in his crazy mind.

Thetinman

Am I the only one who is getting lots of sexual tension from Mariah and Shades I keep thinking when is it going to go down with the two of them.

i haven't seen the show but i googled the lead (mike colter) and the recent news articles at the top showed that some people are mad at him because his wife is white

mad at interracial marriage in 2016 lol

wtf, you gotta be a racist to have a problem with interracial marriage

Sulik2

I really appreciate that this show went all in on police brutality and African Americans for a couple of episodes. This show needed to address it.

Finished this a couple nights ago. I definitely preferred the first half to the second, which seems to be a running thing across all the Netflix Marvel shows after Daredevil S1 (the only one I think was great all the way through).
Diamondback is just impossible to understand. His motivations are all over the place - he has some generic weapon supplier relationship with Cottonmouth at the beginning but when Luke just happens to enter his radar he suddenly goes into a one man war with him, coming up with all sorts of crazy weaponry out of nowhere that can actually hurt him without even knowing what Luke had become until mid-show (or knowing was even still alive even). How he has these crazy connections that allow him all this technology is never explained and it makes even less sense that a crime lord of his caliber would singlemindedly pursue Luke with no regard to consequences at all once he revealed himself (though it's hilarious that Shades kept calling him out on it). He singlehandedly drags down the entire show for me.

Top Bottom