• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Hyun Sai

they really need better writers. Get someone like the Justified people to do it (I know it's mostly the book, but they adapated it for tv)

I'm pretty depressed we don't have that writing quality in more shows. I felt empty when Justified ended, that was so crafty...

Finished it last night...the most consistent Marvel show yet and my favorite of the bunch. I hope they up the production quality for the next set of seasons as the action, as with DD and JJ, still feels flimsier than it should. Marvel really needs to commit to linking the movies a bit more deeply to this show universe already.

Just finished the show, watched it over two days. Seems like I have the opposite reaction to most people in this thread, up until episode 7 I thought the series was ok, but nothing amazing. Episode 7 onward I was in love. I'll post my thoughts on the whole season below:

Everyone here seems real fond of Cottonmouth, but I honestly wasn't that impressed by him until episode 7, when he got some flashbacks that gave him depth. And then he died. I was really hoping he would be gone when he got arrested at the end of episode 6, so I didn't entirely mind, even though he grew on me with those flashbacks. Diamondback was a crazy character, but honestly it's a marvel comic book show and I like the crazy villains, so he did it for me just fine. I felt the whole show just became more entertaining from episode 7 forward. (Always. SORRY I HAD TO) I was a little disappointed that there was no Jessica Jones in this at all, considering how big a role Cage had in her show. As a fan of the comics it also kinda rubbed me wrong that Luke ended up with Claire. Hoping that changes when he meets up with Jessica again in Defenders. I just want Squirrel Girl to be their nanny, damn it! Big part of me is also hoping that there is no Luke Cage S2 or Iron Fist S2 and they just merge into a Heroes for Hire show. But yeah, I ended up really enjoying the show. The early episodes weren't bad or anything, they just didn't "wow" me. That ending is kind of a bummer though, huh? Shades and Mariah get away scott free, and Diamondback ends up with Luke's old doctor? I was expecting at least one of them to actually get some sort of comeuppance. Diamondback is clearly going to come out in better shape then he goes in, at least in his crazy mind.

Did you know that Claire was Luke's first love interest?

deleted

Watched the first three Episodes by now.

1st one was fresh and tonally different from what you expect from a Marvel show by now. Realy liked it for what it was. Slower paced with a focus on the people and not on the superpowers or the action.

By the third episode all of that seems to be gone by now. Lots of cheese and they seem to be caught up in some logical dilemmas too
Why did Cottonmouth need that specific bag of money back, if he could have easily stalled with his money from Fort Knox to keep his name and the name of his cousin 'clean'? Maybe that gets addressed, but that seemed like a very short sighted thing to overlook when writing these episodes... And back to back too

Since I was going in with no specific expectations at all since I don't know the character, I was delighted to see much of Episode 1 and 2 take a very different tone than the other two shows. Not as grounded as something like the Wire, but not as badly written as Jessica Jones or AoS Season 1 either.

I'll stay with it, but I hope they don't fall into the same trap, Jessica Jones did, where they could barely fill 8 Episodes and stretched that to 13. Hopefully there is enough substance here.

OK, so I'm on Episode 10, and during
Mariah's anti-supers speech, how the HELL didn't she mention Hulk wrecking half of Harlem in '08?!

Like, that seems like it'd be a big deal. And it hasn't been mentioned at all yet!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Episode 8 was so. Fucking. LIT.
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif
Forreal, so fucking good

duckroll

Finished Episode 4 today. I think it's pretty weird how the show doesn't mention anything about Jessica Jones at all. Is it before JJ? After JJ? It should be after given some of the circumstances, but it feels like he got a total character reset, which is weird. Netflix Marvel stuff sure is predictable though...

- Introduce character long after he/she got powers but struggles with what to do with it.
- Introduce characters from the character's past coming back to haunt him/her.
- All of the character's friends are dragged into the mess which escalates with each episode.
- Reserve an episode for flashbacks to the actual origin story.
- Character steps it up and decides to make a stand as a hero.

That's the first act of all the seasons so far. It even applies for Daredevil S2 when you account for Elektra. It's kinda silly at this point. Can't wait for the next other Netflix Marvel staple - the late game "mythos" episode that connects to the larger "universe" - Black Sky in DD S1, Nuke in JJ S1, Punisher's prison episode in DD S2. Is Luke Cage going to have one?! Can't wait to find out!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Finished Episode 4 today. I think it's pretty weird how the show doesn't mention anything about Jessica Jones at all. Is it before JJ? After JJ? It should be after given some of the circumstances, but it feels like he got a total character reset, which is weird. Netflix Marvel stuff sure is predictable though...

- Introduce character long after he/she got powers but struggles with what to do with it.
- All of the character's friends are dragged into the mess which escalates with each episode.

That's the first act of all the seasons so far. It even applies for Daredevil S2 when you account for Elektra. It's kinda silly at this point. Can't wait for the next other Netflix Marvel staple - the late game "mythos" episode that connects to the larger "universe" - Black Sky in DD S1, Nuke in JJ S1, Punisher's prison episode in DD S2. Is Luke Cage going to have one?! Can't wait to find out!

I sometimes wonder if Netflix has any say in pushing the Marvel shows to do this, or if it something Marvel decided to do looking at how people binge watch shows. It can't be a coincidence that all of these shows decided to just throw the viewer into the character already having powers, and then cover the origin a couple episodes into things. So they're basically hiding the "boring" parts for midway through the season.

Even looking at the Iron Fist trailer, we'll probably get the same thing there. Danny comes back into town with this training, and then a few episodes later we get an origin story about how he became that way.

Uh - Ep 1 addresses JJ with Pops's conversation with Luke.
And the show will address JJ a few times after that as well.

Kinsei

Banned
OK, so I'm on Episode 10, and during
Mariah's anti-supers speech, how the HELL didn't she mention Hulk wrecking half of Harlem in '08?!

Like, that seems like it'd be a big deal. And it hasn't been mentioned at all yet!

That stood out to me too.

I thought the first episode made it clear that this takes place after JJ. Pop mentioned
Luke being shot by Jessica.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The show takes places after JJ but before the second season of Daredevil.
No it doesn't. Claire even talks about the ninjas attacking the hospital in DD season 2. Luke Cage takes place in late November early December of 2016. So actually, it runs a bit concurrent with DD season 2 as that ends around Xmas time of 2016.

The Hobo

Oh yeah, that's right. It's Civil War that it takes place before.

Edit: No wait, that's not right either is it? The lack of any mention of the Sekovia Accords was throwing me off.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, that's right. It's Civil War that it takes place before.

Edit: No wait, that's not right either is it?
You're correct, Civil War does take place before DD season 2 and Luke Cage. The movies for the most part, take place in our real time. The Netflix shows kinda jump around a bit.

DBT85

Finished Episode 4 today. I think it's pretty weird how the show doesn't mention anything about Jessica Jones at all. Is it before JJ? After JJ? It should be after given some of the circumstances, but it feels like he got a total character reset, which is weird!

Pop mentions really early on that Luke arrived there after his ex gf shot him in the head with a shotgun and Luke says he still get headaches.

Apathy

Just finished it.

Overall good, I liked it, just like the other Netflix/Marvel shows.

The music was amazing, from Jazz to Hip Hop, amazing. Just wish they had stuck with shimmy shimmy ya for
the attack on Crispus Attucks Complex

Cottonmouth was such a good bad guy with an amazing backstory
and he gets wasted

Diamondback was terrible.
That suit he got for the last 2 episodes was the corniest thing I've seen in a while

Shades obsession with Mariah was creepy.

Misty has to be the most incompetent police officer to grace television since Chief Wiggum

The big fight scene at
Crispus Attucks Complex
starts off cool and all with the
car door as a shield
, but wow does it ever get B movie tier when they rush Luke in the
one small room and he eventually picks up the couch
. Cringe worthy.

For me, DD S1 is still the king of the Netflix/Marvel stuff but you can't go wrong with Luke Cage.

Oh failed to mention that the bad guys gave better advice to people in a situation when dealing with police more than Luke Cage did. It doesn't matter if the cops think you're guilty cause you ask for a lawyer, never ever ever talk to the police without a lawyer or public defender. It's your right to have one and them saying "oh if you are innocent then you don't need one" is stupid. Shit, Shade gave the best advice in the whole show, just keep asking for your lawyer till you get one.

Four episodes in, finding the show to be pretty boring so far, but someone please tell me there's a gif of the bad guy whipping out a
rocket launcher out of nowhere and blowing up the thai joint
. I laughed for like 10 straight minutes.

Were all these women in Luke Cage? I recognize Black Mariah, the lawyer, the inspector, and Misty.

*___*

i love

-----

just finished luke cage. i really enjoyed it :> *squeeing* it's really fun. i love it. so, so, so much fun~

the fighting choreo leaves a lot to be desired but there's a whole lot to love in this series. a whole lot to love~ <3

Got done with ep 5 and I feel like there was some spoilery stuff in their from DD season 2, which I haven't seen yet. Should I stop here and watch DD season 2 first? I was gonna watch it anyway.

Got done with ep 5 and I feel like there was some spoilery stuff in their from DD season 2, which I haven't seen yet. Should I stop here and watch DD season 2 first? I was gonna watch it anyway.
Yes, there is some overlap with Daredevil S2, and Daredevil should be watched first. Events from late S2 are explicitly recapped in Luke Cage.

duckroll

I finished episode 5. And man. This is so entertaining but... I'm not entirely sure if it's in the right ways. I mean, this is the funniest Netflix Marvel series ever. It's practically a comedy but how much of it is intentional? The villains are not remotely imposing, but they're well cast. They come off as a bunch of goofballs trying to take on an invincible man, and they have like the WORST ideas ever. Cottonmouth is a terrible crime lord, he gets trolled by Shades all the time, Diamondback is like some mystery boogieman, Luke Cage is one vindictive motherfucker but he's INVINCIBLE so Cottonmouth can't do shit. It's hilarious. Also, Misty is one bad cop. Everyone in the show feels totally incompetent at their jobs, but Luke Cage comes out on top only because he literally can't lose in a fight. He does the stupidest things too, but they work because he has god mode on. Ultimate comedy. The music is fucking cheesy too. I love it.

Elandyll

Banned
I really really wanted to like it... But there are just too many problems imo :(

Dialogues were weak,
Diamondback
was imo terrible and when he appears it seemed that characterization overall took a ways south (particularly Dillard and Shades), and
Misty
also became super incompetent.

Dunno, I had such high hopes, and even the last fight just let me down big time.

On the positive side, casting was completely on the money, and the references towards the end make it look like a 2nd season would allow to get past what was essentially a 13 hours long origin story and could be really good.

It's just me, but Luke Cage definitely overstayed its welcome in my opinion.

Luigi87

Just finished watching the series.

Going into it, this was a series I was most on the fence about. I didn't know much about Luke Cage the character to be honest, and was wondering how his own Netflix series would hold up.

That being said, I absolutely loved it. It may very well be my favourite of the Marvel Netflix series.

Ever since I saw Mike Colter in the Jessica Jones trailer from back when, my immediate thought was "He is the most perfectly cast actor to character in the MCU." This series just solidifies it. He was absolutely fantastic, and his acting is wonderful.

As were the rest of the actors in their roles.
I loved the story, the action, the themes. It was an excellently pieced together series.

Also the soundtrack was phenomenal.

- J - D -

This show has some weird pacing, man. Also, I'm not particularly fond
of Diamondback. Crazy bible thumper with a gun. Why doesn't Shades just kill his ass.

Episode 9 felt long, but the
acid bath
at the end was gnarly enough to make it worthwhile.

Let's be real. The worst thing the entire show did was
Luke Cage and Claire having a romance. It just doesn't work and they seem waaay more like friends than lovers. Him and JJ seemed far more believable.

Anyone watching this show and thinking, "I like this show, but when is Claire going to get her own show?"

I want to follow her around. Superhero ambulance/nurse or maybe give her powers.

episode 13: jeez that so so corny. from start to finish.
why didnt misty, like, try and arrest stokes as soon as she left the barber shop? why did everyone forget about the files about carl lucas ? and why didnt cage just punch diamondback straight in the mouth?

Day Nurse! (ah-ah-ah)
Fighter of the Night Nurse (ah-ah-ah)

Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone

Day Nurse! (ah-ah-ah)

... and her beating of the purse snatcher showed her mastery of karate...

You should spoiler that shit!

episode 13: jeez that so so corny. from start to finish.
why didnt misty, like, try and arrest stokes as soon as she left the barber shop? why did everyone forget about the files about carl lucas ? and why didnt cage just punch diamondback straight in the mouth?

Not to mention the facial recognition software. The issue of punching in the mouth is just a common trope.
I mean, I agree with it and it annoys me too, but a LOT of comic characters have that exposed weakness, even Batman and Robocop to name two big ones. It's just a thing... but yeah, super annoying.

Top Bottom