• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Hero

I can understand that some people might not like that it does feel they drag things out a bit to an extent to fulfill the 13 episodes but I binge watch these things so fast it doesn't really matter to me.

The pacing of the Netflix shows hasn't bothered me too much to date.

The characters and plots are generally strong enough to have me overlook the sluggish pacing at times. Sure, stuff gets drawn out, but rich characters keep me engaged. The Elektra stuff in Season 2 felt overly long, but Elodie Young's performance kept me engaged.

Anyways, I'm really excited for this one. I'm loving how the Netflix stuff actually tackles like... legitimate mature themes. Anger, vengeance, trauma, fucking up, etc... all so personal, but this time around, they're expanding out, going into culture. I dig it.

Since this show is definitely delving into culture...

I'm gonna have to be more controversial this time. I'd rather read reviews from black and brown critics or people in the know. There's a lot of meat and potatoes that I'm hearing is a part of this series unlike the others, and I feel like I'm going to have to be more choosy about who I listen to.

TheOddOne

Forgot to highlight this part before:
Jessica Jones debuted last year to critical hosannas praising its embrace of diverse points of view, with storylines centered around people we don’t always see represented on TV. Colter’s buzzed-about characterization of Cage provided an unexpected anchor of that triumph—suddenly, a solo Cage series was on the fast track. According to Coker, Marvel and Netflix had originally slated martial arts superhero Iron Fist as the next character from the Defenders—a loose federation bringing together Marvel’s more street-level heroes like Daredevil, Jones, and Cage—to get his own series. Coker had worked up a treatment capturing his vision for the show that was turning heads; meanwhile, Colter had proven a popular breakout on Jessica Jones. For once, the internet pretty much agreed: No one could play Cage better than him. “Marvel went from, ‘We’re gonna take our time’ to ‘Let’s flip it and do Luke Cage first,’” Coker says. “‘We’ve got this great concept and this guy is leaping off the screen, let’s follow the momentum.’”
Really want to see what they cook up with Iron Fist.

Davidion

Haven't read the reviews in details, but it seems like Cage is the Marvel show most hinged on social commentary and related character development yet, so slow burn seems like it would be ok? Feeling of filler is probably not so great, though.

I think it'd be great entertainment his powers were used as a tool to frame him as an One-Punch-Man grade foil to the rest of the world he's in, as long as a rich narratives come out of it.

If you watched The Wire, he was Cheese:
13BLlyh.jpg

He was also in OZ as Tug.

Fuck! Thats where I know him from. He looked so familiar.

It'll be refreshing to see a non-superhuman villain for a guy who has a legit super power.

Daredevil has super hearing, but other than that, he's just a regular dude.
I really hope they don't have give him powers or anything by the end of the series. Does Cottonmouth have powers in the comics?

I really hope they don't have give him powers or anything by the end of the series. Does Cottonmouth have powers in the comics?

Yeah, but I'm hoping they go a different route.

Cottonmouth #1 had super strength to be able to pose a threat to Cage.

Cottonmouth #2 had super surgery.

The thing is, though, that television is a medium where you can have a character like Cottonmouth exert power without having powers. Comics kind of restrict that.

EDIT: Cottonmouth being a threat and not even being on Cage's level would actually create a really amazing dynamic. Luke Cage can fuck people up, yes, but what does that matter when your enemy has respect, confidence, resources, and money?

Yeah, but I'm hoping they go a different route.

Cottonmouth #1 had super strength to be able to pose a threat to Cage.

Cottonmouth #2 had super surgery.

The thing is, though, that television is a medium where you can have a character like Cottonmouth exert power without having powers. Comics kind of restrict that.
Definitely. Kind of why I like more grounded takes like this

Curious if there will be any cameos. Kingpin in Daredevil S2 was unexpected, so it'll be interesting to see if any other heroes or villains pop up, or if they do any set-up for Iron Fist

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Please have no powers. Please have no powers.

It'll be refreshing to see a non-superhuman villain for a guy who has a legit super power.

Daredevil has super hearing, but other than that, he's just a regular dude.

The comic book fanboy in me kind of want Cottonmouth to have his fangs/jaw. I mean...it's Cottonmouth! He's got to be a literal snake. Plus since Luke is nigh indestructible...you need an actual threat to him. Jessica Jones had Purple Man. Luke Cage needs Cottonmouth's fangs. One of the few things that can pierce his skin.

If not...meh...I'll take it. I'm sure Cornell Stokes will probably be in the Top 5 MCU villains anyway.

Well, we already know Claire is a regular in this (which I am super hyped for as she was so mishandled in Jessica Jones as well as Daredevil S2).

I'm expecting Jessica to at least cameo.

I also expect some Iron Fist set up.

I fully expect to see a singular lore episode such as in Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

TheOddOne

- NPR: Hip Hop And Superheroes Inspire 'Luke Cage' Showrunner Cheo Coker.
- Speakeasy: A Brief Guide to ‘Luke Cage’.
It takes place after “Jessica Jones,” but it’s all about Luke’s perspective.

The super-strong, nearly indestructible Luke Cage showed up as a butt-kicker and love interest during the first season of “Jessica Jones,” alongside series star Krysten Ritter. Yet, while “Luke Cage” will build on that foundation, it will be told through his perspective. “It doesn’t take away from the Luke you meet in Jessica Jones, but we’re telling a different story,” Coker says. “At the same time, I’m hoping people who see the show that like Luke from ‘Jessica Jones’ like what we’ve done in expanding the character.”
It draws on all sorts of Marvel Comics traditions.

Coker says Brian Michael Bendis‘s “Alias” comics have inspired the look of this Luke Cage, while much of the character’s origin story on the show comes directly from the 1972 comic “Luke Cage, Hero for Hire” No. 1. The showrunner, though, says a variety of Marvel Comics — from Chris Claremont and Frank Miller‘s Wolverine to X-Men comics in general — helped him develop his skills as a writer and dramatist in the televsion world. He says the issue-by-issue run in a comic book story line works well for TV. “That’s kind of the way you structure the season,” Coker says.

I'm really excited for this show. I just hope that Cage's powers are more consistent than JJ's were in Jessica Jones. In JJ she would be lifting up a car in one episode and then struggling to fight bodyguards in the next. It was a really strange disconnect for me.

I'm really excited for this show. I just hope that Cage's powers are more consistent than JJ's were in Jessica Jones. In JJ she would be lifting up a car in one episode and then struggling to fight bodyguards in the next. It was a really strange disconnect for me.

They really didn't do a good job communicating this but I assumed she struggles when she has to hold back. She is definitely strong enough to kill a man if she hits hard enough. Sure she can do some property damage without breaking a sweat but fighting normies probably handicaps her. You can see how she fights and compare to Luke who is used to it and doesn't have to struggle as much having his gifts.

Still amazed at how good he was. Good writing, good acting, dude had presence. He doesn't need to pop up in Cage, but damn I'll be fistpumping if he does.

I watched episode 12 again the other day. What happens and how Karen reacts was so perfect. Just solidifies Frank as the Punisher forever.

Top Bottom