• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Brakke

Banned
'Bout to jump in on this. Kinda harsh review from The Ringer this morning though: https://medium.com/amp/p/f5be622daf67

Justin Charity said:
Cage dates himself with stale concerns: if black people should say “nigga,” whether or not tailored clothing is the measure of a man’s self-respect, and so on. Which explains, perhaps, why Luke Cage feels less like Jessica Jones or Daredevil and more like Shaft — but with none of the humor or charm that Richard Roundtree brought to that role in the 1970s. On his own, Cage is a reclusive killjoy who is astoundingly slow to solve or discover anything. He’s a big, buff, invincible disappointment. Any other uptown native might’ve been quicker to discover that Harlem’s greater, untouchable menace is the NYPD. But what, Luke Cage wonders, about black-on-black crime?

Dai101

Banned
parQilc.jpg

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

Volimar

Dammit, I was really looking forward to Claire's coffee.

By a really great lawyer I hope she means Foggy, cuz it sure as hell isn't Matt.

Brakke

Banned
Two in so far. Good cast, good tunes, good style. I'm down with the production so far, but I dunno if I'm sold yet. Nothing that interesting going on yet.

RIP Black Uncle Ben. I always like seeing Burrell show up.

Dai101

Banned
"Gave a speech at a church, knocked down a few doors in the projects, and now you Harlem's Captain America. Nigga, please"

I LOVE this show.

Ok Last Episode is the cheesiest bullshit ive seen.. about 15 mins in. I can't believe this is what it boils up to...

This is some Meteor Man type showdown

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
What fuck was Cottonmouth thinking telling his sister that she wanted be molested. Like, holy shit.

That was a mindblowing scene. Dammit I loved Cornell so much...easily one of the MCU's best villains with Kingpin and Kilgrave...I sense a trend here. That was one baaaad move for him. Really had it coming for that.

Dai101

Banned
Ep 10: This scientist is killing me!!!

"Bulletpproof negroes that eat cops for breakfast"

This show is the realest.

jmood88

I won't read through this until I'm done but I was mad that Cottonmouth was killed so early. I thought when that Zip guy popped up out of nowhere that it was Cottonmouth coming back, then got mad all over again.

MrMephistoX

Holy shit are they striking the right vibe here: it's like a good Blaxploitation film if such a thing exists. Black Superman is better then Henry Cavil.

The classic Misty Knight look is great on Missick.

Having finished S1, I think I'd put it up next to DD S1. I don't feel it drags as much, but the loss of Cottonmouth was a huge blow to the season. Diamondback was terrifying a villain but for me that's all he was. Just some psycho bent on revenge, and we've been there and done that so much in other media. As a character he wasn't nearly as compelling or as complex as Cornell. I was actually rooting for Cottonmouth up until his death. There were also brief moments I felt sympathy for Fisk and to a (much) lesser extent Kilgrave. But Diamondback? Just a standard antagonist. It was hard to feel anything for him or see him as more than just an obstacle Cage would eventually surmount.

Credit where its due, though, the "presence of death" line was easily one of the most badass things said in any Marvel/Netflix series.

Renpatsu

I never really got the impression that Diamondback cared a lick about Harlem so that entire fight with the crowd chanting at the end felt a bit hollow. I know his deal was more personal than that, but for what they were going for with the dirty brawl between two people fighting "for the soul of Harlem" it would have helped if Diamondback had established some lasting impression on Harlem so that the people at least felt his grip in a manner similar to Cottonmouth.

The suit didn't help at all.

I want a bullet hoodie.
How they established bullet hoodies as a logical consequence of the events of the show is amazing.

LOL @ the end of episode 3 with the rocket launcher.

With the kind of bad action scenes, cheese, and some truly horrendous encounters this might just be the first MCU show I don't finish.

The Kree

Banned
I never really got the impression that Diamondback cared a lick about Harlem so that entire fight with the crowd chanting at the end felt a bit hollow. I know his deal was more personal than that, but for what they were going for with the dirty brawl between two people fighting "for the soul of Harlem" it would have helped if Diamondback had established some lasting impression on Harlem so that the people at least felt his grip in a manner similar to Cottonmouth.

The suit didn't help at all.

How they established bullet hoodies as a logical consequence of the events of the show is amazing.

His indifference for the people there is what made the fight. He put police/community relations further in the shitter by impersonating Luke Cage while murdering a cop. That affected everybody.

Fury451

Banned
Yep. These netflix marvel shows all would benefit from being 10 episodes.

I've maintained 8 would be perfect, but 10 I could live with I guess.

Coming up on halfway here- I like it a lot so far but I think it'll fizzle out like all the shows have (despite being good).

Renpatsu

His indifference for the people there is what made the fight. He put police/community relations further in the shitter by impersonating Luke Cage while murdering a cop. That affected everybody.
To me at least Diamondback's rise came so swiftly that I never got the feeling beyond the criminal underbelly the people of Harlem even knew who he was. Would they even recognise him with the suit on let alone with it off? The kind of popular influence that Cottonmouth and Mariah courted. That's what I meant by lasting impression.

The Kree

Banned
To me at least Diamondback's rise came so swiftly that I never got the feeling beyond the criminal underbelly the people of Harlem even knew who he was. Would they even recognise him with the suit on let alone with it off? The kind of popular influence that Cottonmouth and Mariah courted. That's what I meant by lasting impression.

I don't think that mattered. It seemed like nobody in the neighborhood believed Luke killed the cop. During the Trish Talk intro in one of the later episodes she remarked that the only people who were critical of him were people who had never met him. To Harlem, if Luke was kicking his ass, he must have had it coming.

Top Bottom