• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Marvel's Runaways" finds its cast and officially ordered to series on Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.
So iirc in the original comics they were all the children of super villains right? Wonder how they're going to explain why we haven't heard about them thus far. Cause this is in the MCU right?

The way they explain it in the comics is that no one cares about the west coast and the Avengers are a New York thing. That can carry over. Not sure if Agents of Shield is a west coast or an east coast thing.

Teggy

They can make Gert more awkward looking, not a huge deal. Molly is the only one they botched. Her whole point is that she is a little kid that wears silly hats but is super strong. And she has to take naps.

Kevinroc

At the time of this post, OP lists both Rhenzy Feliz and Lyrica Okano as Alex Wilder. Lyrica Okano is Nico Minoru.

Kalentan

The way they explain it in the comics is that no one cares about the west coast and the Avengers are a New York thing. That can carry over. Not sure if Agents of Shield is a west coast or an east coast thing.

I'm a few episodes behind on AoS but that's more of a world wide thing.

Fades

Banned
The cast looks great, but I agree that Molly looks too old--it's not the age of the actress, but she literally does look too old. Molly may have been ~12, but she was always portrayed as being much smaller and younger-looking. That's a relatively small thing, though, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

Briarios

one-day-at-a-time-carmen.jpg

This is how the actress playing Gert was made up on One Day at a Time - so, she can prob do it

Fades

Banned
Molly probably falls under the same grey area like the Maximoff twins, where she is technically a mutant, but is most well-known for non-X-related series, so Marvel maintains some control. Or, yeah, maybe they made another deal with Fox similar to Ego.

Teggy

They're also very much underground, running things behind the scenes. The only reason the kids find out is because they are about to finish a secret plan they've been working on for like 20 years.

Gert is too pretty in that picture, but I'm sure they can rough her up. Molly is the weird choice. She's too old. Her being significantly younger than the rest of the group is a pretty important dynamic.

As for her being a mutant, they could just as easily make her an Inhuman. Swap the Wolverine idolatry for Quake or even an unintroduced character like Ms. Marvel and you're good to go.

I guess they're most likely just going to cover the first arc, up until
Alex is revealed as the villain
. My favorite arc is when they go to New York though and meet Kingpin and the Punisher. Doubt they'll adapt that far into it.

Malyse

Considering that Molly is ~12 and the actress is 14 playing against 18-24 year olds, I think the age gap thing is going to work out okay. And Gert looks fine.

My big concern is that they don't spoil all the plan twists early.

Specifically, Karolina being gay. That's the one I want them to be subtle with.

Also, on an unrelated note, you should put your spoilers in quotes, so people don't see them when they quote *you*.

PSqueak

Banned
Gert is not pudgy enough and Molly looks like the actress is about 5 to 7 years older than the character should be, otherwise good casting.

Edit: Huh, just hit me they made Molly Latina, that's pretty cool, it's one chage you can afford with the character, but im guessing the retcon that will matter is, they're going to make her not a mutant, most likely a inhuman.

I wonder what this means for Victor tho.

Teggy

Isn't the revelation that Molly was a mutant something that came out much later? They could just ignore it.

PSqueak

Banned
Isn't the revelation that Molly was a mutant something that came out much later? They could just ignore it.

No, the revelation was that she indeed had powers, i think it's given pretty early on that she's a mutant, in fact she's defined as a big fan of the X-men from this fact, it's just that her powers manifest for the first time sometime in the middle of the first arc.

Teggy

No, the revelation was that she indeed had powers, i think it's given pretty early on that she's a mutant, in fact she's defined as a big fan of the X-men from this fact, it's just that her powers manifest for the first time sometime in the middle of the first arc.

Ok, been a while since I read it so I could be remembering it wrong. I thought it came out when
she fought wolverine
but I'm probably mixing stuff up in my head.

Oh man, can we please get Young Avengers out of this? There were some crossovers and I need me some Katie Bishop.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Actually both her powers and mutant nature are revealed at the same time, at the end of issue #5 / start of issue #6 of the first series, when she first manifests her super strength.

Her mother just comments that "she can't be a mutant" because they didn't find the X-gene on her when she was born, but it turned out she was one. The other kids proceed to tell her she's a mutant when they explain the situation to her.

PSqueak

Banned
Two Latinos an a team is apparently too many?

:(

It's more like it could be:

a) "we're not clear if we're gonna get that far, so let's put a latino in there already"

or

b) "We're not gonna have victor, so let's make someone else latino so the show remains as diverse"

So it's directed towards teens, got it

Because it's about teens? I don't understand that leap in logic but I see it all too often. Anyway, if the show does right by the source material, this could be very compelling for adults and far superior to your average tween/teen fiction. But who knows at this stage...

Veedot

Casting seems fine, I really hope this is good. I assume Victor for season 2 is gonna have an altered origin and are they going to even attempt Xavin?

PSqueak

Banned
Hang on who the fuck is Gert? I swear I don't remember her. Wasn't Chase the one with the dinosaur?

Gert was the original owner of Old Lace, she and Chase grew close to each other, so when Gert died she was able to transfer her telepathic link with Old Lace to Chase (which also meant she was saving Old Lace's life).

Before Cancellation of Volume 3, they were teasing the idea of bringing her back (which they'd go a bajillion ways to do since her parent's gimmick was time travel).

Permanently A

Gert was the original owner of Old Lace, she and Chase grew close to each other, so when Gert died she was able to transfer her telepathic link with Old Lace to Chase (which also meant she was saving Old Lace's life).

Before Cancellation of Volume 3, they were teasing the idea of bringing her back (which they'd go a bajillion ways to do since her parent's gimmick was time travel).

Oh I see. I totally just forgot about her then.

Is this part of the MCU? Also why did they go with Hulu, I thought they were partnered with Netflix?

Part of MCU. Disney is a part owner in Hulu so it makes sense. Their Netflix shows are focused on the more adult (as in even more than the movies) stuff.

Boem

Part of MCU. Disney is a part owner in Hulu so it makes sense. Their Netflix shows are focused on the more adult (as in even more than the movies) stuff.

I've looked online and as far as I could find there has never been an official confirmation that this is going to be MCU, and it's unlikely that will be confirmed until after this gets beyond the pilot phase (there's still a chance this will go the way of Most Wanted).

So far nobody official has said it's going to be MCU. As far as I know at least, maybe someone has different sources.

The Kree

Banned
I've looked online and as far as I could find there has never been an official confirmation that this is going to be MCU, and it's unlikely that will be confirmed until after this gets beyond the pilot phase (there's still a chance this will go the way of Most Wanted).

So far nobody official has said it's going to be MCU. As far as I know at least, maybe someone has different sources.

They don't have to say it because it goes without saying.

Nico's staff and possibly her mother were in Doctor Strange. There's your confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom