• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Runaways ordered to series, leaked trailer at Hulu Upfront

Pau

Runaways had a big issue with kind of needing a definitive ending that shouldn't be a problem w/ a TV adaptation like it was in the comics.
I've always loved the last page of BKV's run but I guess it is technically a cliffhanger.

NandoGip

This is a crazy smart move. Hulu is the streaming platform of choice for teenage girls. With that said, I don't think this show is for me, given that I'm a mid-20 year old man. I'll check it out eventually prob.

Pachimari

This is a crazy smart move. Hulu is the streaming platform of choice for teenage girls. With that said, I don't think this show is for me, given that I'm a mid-20 year old man. I'll check it out eventually prob.
I'm a 28 year old man. And I'm freaking hyped.

Pau

Where you a child or teenager once? Then it's for you. :p At least the comic is.

NandoGip

I'm a 28 year old man. And I'm freaking hyped.

Where you a child or teenager once? Then it's for you. :p At least the comic is.

I read the comics so I know how great it is. I'm hyped too. My point was more along the lines from a business stand point. Their target market is young women, and Hulu has a huuuuge base of young women.

It also gives you hints towards the type of storytelling.. Not saying there's anything wrong with that.

Pau

I read the comics so I know how great it is. I'm hyped too. My point was more along the lines from a business stand point. Their target market is young women, and Hulu has a huuuuge base of young women.

It also gives you hints towards the type of storytelling.. Not saying there's anything wrong with that.
I always felt like the comic was targeted towards young women so I don't think the target audience for the show is too different. But I'm biased because I was a young women when I first picked up Runaways. Maybe I just wanted to think it was targeted towards me. :p

NandoGip

I always felt like the comic was targeted towards young women so I don't think the target audience for the show is too different. But I'm biased because I was a young women when I first picked up Runaways. Maybe I just wanted to think it was targeted towards me. :p

Haha I read it when I was about 14-15 so maybe it just went over my head? It's an example of the quality of the writing. Either way I'm excited and I hope that the show lives up to its reputation

Is there a mirror anywhere? The link in the OP is dead ):

Also, I think I've read at least some of Runaways but it was a LONG time ago... I take it by the very fact this exists at all under Marvel's branding, they aren't mutants? Are they Inhumans then? I can't remember. I mean... they do have powers don't they? Aren't they the kids of a bunch of villains or something?

My dad has the first 3 hardcover collections but damn I barely remember anything at all.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Is there a mirror anywhere? The link in the OP is dead ):

Also, I think I've read at least some of Runaways but it was a LONG time ago... I take it by the very fact this exists at all under Marvel's branding, they aren't mutants? Are they Inhumans then? I can't remember. I mean... they do have powers don't they? Aren't they the kids of a bunch of villains or something?

My dad has the first 3 hardcover collections but damn I barely remember anything at all.
Updated link in OP. Only one of the Runaways was a mutant. The rest of their parents were crazy inventors, aliens, magicians and
other stuff.

Updated link in OP. Only one of the Runaways was a mutant. The rest of their parents were crazy inventors, aliens, magicians and
other stuff.

Thank you! Looks cool? And it looks like there are powers so how.. does that work? Did they rewrite the mutant kid to be a non-mutant, (can Marvel even do that with the way the rights work?) or just cut them out altogether? Inhumans? Whatever it was they used to explain Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? Or now that we have Doctor Strange is it just magic?

As far as the MCU is concerned I've mainly only kept up with the movies and then the first season of Daredevil so if this has all been explained in one of the shows I'm sorry for being out of the loop ):

kirblar

It was (though not exclusively), the Tsunami imprint it was part of was aimed at trying to attract Manga readers.

Pau

Thank you! Looks cool? And it looks like there are powers so how.. does that work? Did they rewrite the mutant kid to be a non-mutant, (can Marvel even do that with the way the rights work?) or just cut them out altogether? Inhumans? Whatever it was they used to explain Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? Or now that we have Doctor Strange is it just magic?

As far as the MCU is concerned I've mainly only kept up with the movies and then the first season of Daredevil so if this has all been explained in one of the shows I'm sorry for being out of the loop ):
They renamed her (changed her ethnicity so it works) but otherwise I'm not sure how they'll explain her powers. Could be Inhuman.

It was (though not exclusively), the Tsunami imprint it was part of was aimed at trying to attract Manga readers.
Yeah, that makes sense. I remember the first cover had a manga feel. And later on they did collect the issues in manga-sized trades. (Of course, I opted for my nice oversize hardbacks.)

Penguin

Show has been bumped up

Now premieres nov 21st
DFMUOrJXUAAl5kk.jpg

Marvel Television's Runaways series will be debuting earlier than expected. Originally announced with a 2018 debut date, the live-action series is now scheduled to debut Tuesday, November 21 with a ten-episode first season.

https://www.newsarama.com/35481-hulu-s-runaways-to-debut-earlier-than-expected.html

PSqueak

Banned
I hope they change one thing

Keep alex alive

I dunno, that would undermine the whole thing, unless
they bring him back from when he is in limbo with the Giborim and seemedly learned not to be an evil fuck.

But at that point
they'd have to bring back Gert too

Alex recently attempted to become the "Grandmaster of Street Magic" in the Power Man Iron Fist run recently, so it's not all bad for him.

Top Bottom