• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm not saying their amplifying it wasn't a dumb thing to do, but blasting the entire media for some opinion pieces made by non journalists is disingenuous.
Sadly, the examples cited are just a few out of many. Take a tour:

If you want to believe the media, be my guest. It is reasonable for me to claim that the media deserves suspicion in light of their behavior since.... well, decades, but especially after the past 4 years.

I'll also throw the prevailing logic back in your face: do you want people to die from disinformation?!? How could the media be so irresponsible? How could they not have acted sooner by warning people when these stories broke in November?!?

Last edited:

oatmeal

Banned
TMLjnk4.png
Italy higher than I hoped, but slowly going down. USA early returns aren't too bad, but they update multiple times a day right?

Airola

So my gf is a cleaner at school.
She was moved to clean health center because schools are closed in Finland.
Now there was some possible corona patient who sneezed around and she was ordered to clean that room. It's not sure if the person has corona but they said there's 20% chance.
So let's say things are getting exciting, so to speak :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
While I generally agree with the spirit behind the comic, I think a lot of people miss the point that this is effectively a cost/benefit analysis on a grand scale and that we all accepted this way of thinking two months ago. In our daily lives, we all do what we do even though we know (or maybe we don't really know) that our activities contain a certain amount of risk.

We drive cars daily even though that is a risky activity that kills 35,000 people a year. We overeat and are content to get fat even though obesity kills 300,000 people a year. We buy electronic goods and textiles manufactured in sweat shops that exploit 250 million children (not sure if that stat is accurate but we can all agree that it's a lot) around the world but we are fine with that too because all of these activities are essential to our way of life and to the economy.

Right now, that cost/benefit analysis is staring us right in our materialistic faces and we can't make the same choices we've been unconsciously making every day for our entire lives.

Honestly, I don't care how long it takes. Plants can be restarted quickly if we get proper aid to businesses and workers. Make the money printers go brrrrr.

b1e.png

It's funny how some giant corporations and their apologists cry using free market principles as their justifications, when a lot of these companies have been using anti-free market and anti-capitalist tactics for decades to stack the deck in their favor. These capitalist in name only, or capitalist only when it's convenient for them companies are real pieces of work.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I have to imagine that murder and car accidents, among other deaths are way down in the USA right now.
Why would we have car accidents when people aren't suppose to be going out? Hell the streets are empty right now if anything.

Sakura

So what you're saying is everyone who got MERS was a camel-rapist, right?
Yes. Either that, or the other way around.
Aren't most people in Japan really old?
Yeah. Median age of 48 or so I think.

Why is nobody talking about Japan? Crazy.
The article is 4 days old, and I think Japan is going to start to pick up.
I think it is misleading to make statements like, "In Italy, the first case was recorded two weeks later than in Japan, on Jan. 23. Shortly after, 50,000 people were quarantined in a handful of towns in the Lombardy region. Then, it was the entire north. Now, the entire country is in quarantine, with over 40,000 confirmed cases and 3,600 dead."
Just because the first case wasn't recorded until two weeks later, doesn't mean the disease wasn't spreading around the country long before then. A big factor I think is undetected community spread. By the time Italy realised there were cases, it was already well established and spreading throughout the country.

Breakage

London prepares for coronavirus 'tsunami': Footage reveals ExCel Centre transformed into 4,000-bed field hospital with two emergency morgues as nearby London City Airport closes to allow military to support 'national effort'

Jtibh

Banned
How does california only have 2600 cases?
Rest of states also report low numbers and new york has most of the cases.

What am i missing here?

No testings done or numbers not reported?

Godspeed, Stargate Command!

I am pretty sure there was at least one episode when a deadly virus came from the SG program.. maybe Chiner is onto something!! RIP Hammond

Also:

Shit's getting real.

Mayor Garcetti announces water and power will be shut off for nonessential L.A. businesses that don’t close

Close that hair salon!

Grinchy

Banned

oatmeal

Banned
Why would we have car accidents when people aren't suppose to be going out? Hell the streets are empty right now if anything.
Right. I just mean, I wonder if we'll ever see these numbers. The dip has to be huge.
I drove to my sisters to deliver a birthday cake yesterday, first time on the highway in a week and a half.

The roads were PACKED. It was wild. No difference.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He says he was rinsing with mouthwash and spitting it back into the bottle, licking ice cream and putting it back on the shelf...

I'm just gonna say it - I hope this kid dies.

WTF is this limp wrist Sally "influencing"?

Nymphae

Banned
He says he was rinsing with mouthwash and spitting it back into the bottle, licking ice cream and putting it back on the shelf...

I'm just gonna say it - I hope this kid dies.

That's a bit much dude. But I would smile to see people in his hospital room laughing at him and taking pictures of his misfortune and sharing those.

'I don't talk to my family,' Larz told Dr Phil 'They're irrelevant. None of them have followers, if they got followers or got rich I'd probably talk to them again.'

Oh wait, fuck this kid.

Barnabot

Airbus Jr

Banned
Public figure and NBA athletes like Tom Hanks, Idris Elba can heal real quick like it was nothing

So why are the others died so easily?

Not getting proper treatment or what?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
So my gf is a cleaner at school.
She was moved to clean health center because schools are closed in Finland.
Now there was some possible corona patient who sneezed around and she was ordered to clean that room. It's not sure if the person has corona but they said there's 20% chance.
So let's say things are getting exciting, so to speak :messenger_neutral:

She needs an n95 and visor at the minimum to protect herself. Then change her clothes, wipe down her shoes, and wash her hands and arms thoroughly when she is done.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Public figure and NBA athletes like Tom Hanks, Idris Elba can heal real quick like it was nothing

Because this virus was created by the RAND corporation in conjuction with the saucer people and reverse vampires. So all the rich people have the cure, but us pleebs have to suffer.

Notice how Prince Charles has it but not Camilla. Are you going to tell me a 70 year old British man isn't hitting that poon on the regular? We may be stupid, but not that stupid.

Alx

Most people exposed to the disease will have minor symptoms or won't even realize they got it. The issue is that for the minority who develops heavy symptoms, things can go bad very quickly.

On another note, I finally started watching the Rise of Skywalker last night, I got about 30 minutes into it. I got the point with the awful CG looking Mon Calimari dude and turned it off.
How does california only have 2600 cases?
Rest of states also report low numbers and new york has most of the cases.

What am i missing here?

No testings done or numbers not reported?

We don't have the testing kits, that's all there is to it. In my county where we have over a million people. The mayor in the city I live in was saying the reason the numbers were so low because they only got 153 test kits period.

In a county with a population of 1 million in major metropolitan area.

Jonsoncao

Banned

A good read.
If emergency rooms and ICUs are overloaded from COVID-19, we will see more deaths from everything else: from traffic accidents, heart attacks, infections, seasonal influenza, falls and traumas—basically anything that requires an emergency-room response to survive.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Right. I just mean, I wonder if we'll ever see these numbers. The dip has to be huge.
I drove to my sisters to deliver a birthday cake yesterday, first time on the highway in a week and a half.

The roads were PACKED. It was wild. No difference.
Where do you live?

gamerMan

I am thankful our government is actually a functioning entity that gets shit done. This past couple weeks has really opened my eyes to how lucky we are when you compare and contrast to other governments right now. Say what you want about Trudeau, but I'm pleased overall with our leadership through this.
You're not alone. This sentiment will only grow on people...this situation cannot last much longer, they will have to find another way to deal with this. You still have your job, imagine the millions that won't...

You really find out who are the great leaders in bad times, not the good times. Countries really didn't need to shutdown had they taken the problem seriously in the start. To do that you have to start testing immediately. The only reason you have to shut your country down is if you mismanaged this in the beginning and need the curve to fall.

From a biological point of view, this virus is perfect. It doesn't kill most people but hospitalizes 10-15% which means it can spread easily from person. If everybody dies, it wouldn't spread. There are people right now in our population that are asymptomatic, have no symptoms. These people are super spreaders and some experts are saying that they can infect over 20 people.

These are the people you need to quarantine from society. In theory, you can shut down the virus almost completely if you test everybody in your population and everybody coming into your country. Even if you can't test everybody you can test a sample size. It's already been done in a small town in Italy.

Last edited:
You really find out who are the great leaders in bad times, not the good times. Countries really didn't need to shutdown had they taken the problem seriously in the start. To do that you have to start testing immediately. The only reason you have to shut your country down is if you mismanaged this is the beginning and need the curve to fall.

From a biological point of view, this virus is perfect. It doesn't kill most people but hospitalizes 10-15% which means it can spread easily from person. If everybody dies, it wouldn't spread. There are people right now in our population that are asymptomatic, have no symptoms. These people are super spreaders and some experts are saying that they can infect over 20 people.

These are the people you need to quarantine from society. In theory, you can shut down the virus almost completely if you test everybody in your population and everybody coming into your country. Even if you can't test everybody you can test a sample size. It's already been done in a small town in Italy.

Wasn't there another Euro country who said that the China tests were bullshit and went out and made their own which worked way better?

A good read.

Counterpoint is if everyone is in full lock down, there will be no car accidents, far less falls and traumas, and hopefully less of everything else if people are 'relaxing' in their home prisons.

I have no clue what the actual numbers would be/are.. but it'd be fun to see after this is all said and done.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

I wonder what it takes for people to start being receptive to what's actually going on

I feel like people have been building up their anxieties for some time and have been desperately wanting to release their panic and have finally been given an outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom