• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (2) PC gets real controller support; Fundraiser for ME/3 up [£575]

Bought the trilogy to finish it and found out about the lack of controller support, WTF?
There are some mods for mass effects 1 but they are all shitty. Need a support for ME1.

daninthemix

Bought the trilogy to finish it and found out about the lack of controller support, WTF?
There are some mods for mass effects 1 but they are all shitty. Need a support for ME1.

I just played through ME1 entirely using this mod.

I made a few tweaks to the sensitivity and after that it worked fantastic, although I am at my desk so the mouse is handy for inventory management and levelling up. For everything else, controller works perfectly.

Taker34

Banned
The moment Mass Effect 1 gets support is the moment that I rebuy this trilogy for PC. Lets gooooooo!

Doubt it'll ever happen. Moonshine probably gave up on the project (it's been like a month since his last post on me3explorer). Unless EA or BioWare are deciding to remaster the trilogy, there's little hope. Actually after reading the recent EA comments about a eventual trilogy remaster, it surely won't happen.
Until 2035.

pahamrick

Could swear I played Mass Effect 1 on my computaar with a Xbox 360 stick a few years ago :S

You can enable 90% native 360 controller support with just some ini hacks, the only thing it's really missing is the native 360 gui. I just finished ME1 on the controller a little while ago.

I had to use the mouse for the menus and inventory, but thats about it.

Working on installing texture mods for my ME2 run, now.

Doubt it'll ever happen. Moonshine probably gave up on the project (it's been like a month since his last post on me3explorer). Unless EA or BioWare are deciding to remaster the trilogy, there's little hope. Actually after reading the recent EA comments about a eventual trilogy remaster, it surely won't happen.
Until 2035.

You know, it's bullshit that Moonshine received nearly $1,000 from supporters, only to give up on the project a month later (if that is indeed the case, which it seems to be).

pahamrick

You know, it's bullshit that Moonshine received nearly $1,000 from supporters, only to give up on the project a month later (if that is indeed the case, which it seems to be).

Yeah, I'm hoping that's not really the case but it looks like it. I know he posted that his 360 died and that he'd have to use someone else's in order to get the 360 specific files and it would cause a holdup but still nearly a month with no word whatosever.

If he's going to quit, at least upload what he's got so others can continue the work.

I just played through ME1 entirely using this mod.

I made a few tweaks to the sensitivity and after that it worked fantastic, although I am at my desk so the mouse is handy for inventory management and levelling up. For everything else, controller works perfectly.

Yea I tried this one but the problem is when I'm aiming it doesn't move. Any solution ?

pahamrick

Yea I tried this one but the problem is when I'm aiming it doesn't move. Any solution ?

If it's the issue I'm thinking of, that happens everytime you first equip your weapon, use a medigel or throw a grenade. The ability to move while aiming comes back after a couple seconds.

It's very offputting at first, but you get used to it and learn to adjust while in combat. The trick I did was to always remain in cover until I could move the reticule while aiming after doing something that messed it up.

komorebi

I'm hoping the Steam Controller is a viable solution because I'd love to sit back and play through this Trilogy again. I can't believe EA didn't include native controller support, especially for ME2 and ME3 considering when they were released. It still baffles me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why nobody saw it coming is beyond me.

Maybe I should start an online donation program for something similar.

pahamrick

I'm hoping the Steam Controller is a viable solution because I'd love to sit back and play through this Trilogy again. I can't believe EA didn't include native controller support, especially for ME2 and ME3 considering when they were released. It still baffles me.

It's especially baffling because according to Moonshine, it was more work to strip out the 360 controller support than simply including it. It would have taken them minutes to get support ready before cooking the files for final release.

komorebi

It's especially baffling because according to Moonshine, it was more work to strip out the 360 controller support than simply including it. It would have taken them minutes to get support ready before cooking the files for final release.

Wow, yeah that makes no sense. I think the Steam Pad basically functions like a generic KB/M peripheral if I remember right. So it should work even with the Trilogy versions on Origin as long as we launch them through Steam BPM. In theory anyway.

Why nobody saw it coming is beyond me.

Maybe I should start an online donation program for something similar.

Well, he already had finished ME2 and had proof that he was almost done with ME3. Since then he completed ME3 in a buggy state and never released ME1. That's a far cry from what you're getting at.

pahamrick

What's wrong with ME3? Apart from no multiplayer.

I think the only major outstanding issue with ME3 is you can't do the Armax Arsenal Arena with the controller mod. Something about causing an infinite loading loop, or crash.

Moonshine said that was fixed, but never uploaded the fixed file yet since he was still working on force feedback & multiplayer.

daninthemix

I think the only major outstanding issue with ME3 is you can't do the Armax Arsenal Arena with the controller mod. Something about causing an infinite loading loop, or crash.

Moonshine said that was fixed, but never uploaded the fixed file yet since he was still working on force feedback & multiplayer.

Okay, so ME3 is very usable for single-players. Playing through ME2 right now and his mod for that is glorious. And as I said, played through ME1 with the controller mod for that, and apart from that odd quirk where using a power prevents me from shooting for a few seconds, and the need for a mouse in the inventory, it's pretty great.

pahamrick

Okay, so ME3 is very usable for single-players. Playing through ME2 right now and his mod for that is glorious. And as I said, played through ME1 with the controller mod for that, and apart from that odd quirk where using a power prevents me from shooting for a few seconds, and the need for a mouse in the inventory, it's pretty great.

The ME2 mod is glorious, also using that at the moment. If the only outstanding issue in ME3 is the optional arena in the Citadel DLC, I think I can manage not doing that.

ME2 + ME3 downsampled from 1620p + AO and high res textures is amazing.

Taker34

Banned

Well it's easy to say in hindsight but that's why I didn't donate to begin with. Asking strangers to help you out for a relatively small purchase like a laptop is shady as hell, imo. Even in my darkest moments, I'll have access to a usable PC. People completed way more difficult projects on much less capable hardware. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate what moonshine already did, but something always felt off. I'm also not the only one who felt that way.
By the way even if I really wouldn't want to do this, for whatever reason - I'd get my stuff together and complete this project out of decency or at least give away the donated stuff for free. I really hope I'm wrong, but reading the last posts should make clear that this is it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So won't he really complete the project? Thus leaving out the very first game meaning the other two are useless to me.
He's a shady piece of shit if he doesn't do it out of decency. I mean, whatever, but I find it pretty sad that people can act this way without feeling useless garbage when looking at themselves in the mirror.

Especially since he always made it sound like by that point (where he needed money for the laptop) it was trivial work and just a matter of a few weeks. I don't mind waiting more, life can get in the way, but IF he's really done with the project then he's a sad lowlife. Unless he has had major issues happening in his personal life or that of closed ones who'll need his full attention... of course.

Eyothrie

So won't he really complete the project? Thus leaving out the very first game meaning the other two are useless to me.
He's a shady piece of shit if he doesn't do it out of decency. I mean, whatever, but I find it pretty sad that people can act this way without feeling useless garbage when looking at themselves in the mirror.

Especially since he always made it sound like by that point (where he needed money for the laptop) it was trivial work and just a matter of a few weeks. I don't mind waiting more, life can get in the way, but IF he's really done with the project then he's a sad lowlife. Unless he has had major issues happening in his personal life or that of closed ones who'll need his full attention... of course.

There is a 15 minute comic by dark horse games that you can choose to play at the very beginning of ME2. It lets you pick the major story options of ME1.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
We don't know that this is abandoned, sometimes life gets in the way of fun side modding projects and he could still very well complete and release it.

He also could not, but everyone interpreting this is absolutely 100% not getting done is coming to that based off very little information.

Cool off and we'll see if there are any updates.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
There is a 15 minute comic by dark horse games that you can choose to play at the very beginning of ME2. It lets you pick the major story options of ME1.

I know, thanks for the info anyway, but I'm interested in actually playing the game by myself. The first ME has always been the one to interest me the most so I don't want to skip that one.

daninthemix

I know, thanks for the info anyway, but I'm interested in actually playing the game by myself. The first ME has always been the one to interest me the most so I don't want to skip that one.

If you really wanted to play it you'd just use this mod right now.

With a few tweaks it's almost perfect, outside the inventory. Even if you game on a couch, have a wireless mouse handy for the inventory and you're set.

If you absolutely must wait for the weapon wheel GUI transformation then sure - you might be SOL. But trust me - the existing mod is decent. I just did a complete playthrough (and I mean complete - did every assignment even the frigging precious minerals one) and finished level 50. It's entirely usable.

Mivey

Nice, based dybuk is doing what BioWare can't and doesn't even scam anyone like Moonshine.
Seeing how Moonshine explained a lot to dybuk, before he was just gone, I'd would rather see it as the disciple taking on the mantle of his master and continues his work in his stead. Open Source software operates on the same dynamics as Jedi tutelage.

daninthemix

Anyone going for a replay as a result of these mods, thought I'd mention a few things about antialiasing:

The first two games have none, and the third has only FXAA. 2 and 3 in particular have horrible, horrible aliasing, crawling, shimmering etc.

You can play 1 and 2 in 4K to mitigate this, but not 3 as that will shrink the HUD and subtitle text to unreadable size. So what I suggest, at least for impeccable 1080p image quality, is SGSSAA.

Use this compatibility bit for all three games: 0x000000C1 (assuming a 16:9 ratio) in Nvidia Inspector, choose:

Overide AA
4x Multisampling
Transparency: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

There is a caveat: recent Nvidia drivers have broken SGSSAA, so I'm running off 347.88, which was the last version in which it worked without issue.

Hope that helps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll add using a negative mipmap bias when using SGSSAA to counter the slight blur. Mass Effect 3 with SGSSAA is one of the cleanest looking games I've ever played.

Really disappointing that nVidia broke it. I was thinking of doing a fresh ME3 playthrough and if that's the case I'll have to roll back drivers.

daninthemix

I'll add using a negative mipmap bias when using SGSSAA to counter the slight blur. Mass Effect 3 with SGSSAA is one of the cleanest looking games I've ever played.

Really disappointing that nVidia broke it. I was thinking of doing a fresh ME3 playthrough and if that's the case I'll have to roll back drivers.

Sorry yeah I forgot about that:

Set LOD bias to -1.0000 and 'Driver controlled LOD bias' to OFF (I believe this is necessary for manual LOD changes to take effect).

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I know this is probably not part of the mod, but is there any aim assist included?

Awesome work daninthemix too, I'm actually going to re-buy all the DLC so I can kick off a proper playthrough from the get-go.

I wish X360 character info could transfer to PC also.. so many NG+ runs.. so many bonuses lol :)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Yeah I'm pretty sure 2 and 3 have aim assist enabled on the controller mods. 1 of course isn't finished yet.

Holy shit.... this may have just made my day/month/year!

I used Pinnacle on a mates PC version and it didn't have assist and just felt very wrong... so if Assist is included in this mod, I'm off to buy up the DLC from EA really soon!

PFD

Anyone going for a replay as a result of these mods, thought I'd mention a few things about antialiasing:

The first two games have none, and the third has only FXAA. 2 and 3 in particular have horrible, horrible aliasing, crawling, shimmering etc.

You can play 1 and 2 in 4K to mitigate this, but not 3 as that will shrink the HUD and subtitle text to unreadable size. So what I suggest, at least for impeccable 1080p image quality, is SGSSAA.

Use this compatibility bit for all three games: 0x000000C1 (assuming a 16:9 ratio) in Nvidia Inspector, choose:

Overide AA
4x Multisampling
Transparency: 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling

There is a caveat: recent Nvidia drivers have broken SGSSAA, so I'm running off 347.88, which was the last version in which it worked without issue.

Hope that helps.

Does the series support nvidia's DSR? I'm thinking of replaying it at a ridiculous resolution once my 980 Ti arrives

Does the series support nvidia's DSR? I'm thinking of replaying it at a ridiculous resolution once my 980 Ti arrives

Can confirm it does, without any noticeable problems. I didn't spend much time with 2 or 3 but I did test them both last week when my Ti arrived. 5120x2880 and 60fps was pretty doable. :D

daninthemix

As I said, 1 and 2 work fine in 4k (either native or DSR), but 3 does not scale the HUD, so reading the text and picking conversation choices becomes difficult - unless of course you have an enormous screen.

Top Bottom