• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (2) PC gets real controller support; Fundraiser for ME/3 up [£575]

daninthemix

This has me nearly as excited as my impending PipBoy Edition... which is odd :)

Me too. I actually already played through the trilogy about a month ago (used the existing ME1 controller mod, which doesn't work well in menus and you have no power wheel) and it was great fun. Going to do NG+ all the way through once dybuk sorts this.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Higher resolutions than DSR, SMAA injection, no HUD hotkey without coalesced editing, possibly more.

All reasonable reasons, but it could all be done without GeDo as well. I thought there might be something more specifically singular

Patrick S.

Banned
This thread hasn't been updated so I just wanna let you know that Mass Effect 1 is now playable with the controller. I've played for a couple of hours and it works nice, although it's still WIP.

AlanOC91

This thread hasn't been updated so I just wanna let you know that Mass Effect 1 is now playable with the controller. I've played for a couple of hours and it works nice, although it's still WIP.

Can you post a link please?
Can't seem to find it at ME3 Explorer.

What the hell? Am I reading this right? The Mass Effect games for PC never had proper controller support? I've been planning on getting this for years. Now that I have a PC and just got an XBox 360 controller for it, i'll be on the verge of buying ME1 as soon as i'm done with the games i'm currently playing. You're telling me this whole time it didn't have controller support?

pahamrick

What the hell? Am I reading this right? The Mass Effect games for PC never had proper controller support? I've been planning on getting this for years. Now that I have a PC and just got an XBox 360 controller for it, i'm on the verge of buying ME1 as soon as i'm done with the games i'm currently playing. You're telling me this whole time it didn't have controller support?

Yep. If the modders modding controller support back in are to be believed, they even went out of their way to remove controller support.

wow this is amazing news

ME1 ran like garbage on xbox 360 so even partial support for pc controller is worth it

so apart from ME3 MP (which I dont care about) this means that the PC version (on a good PC) is all positive with no negatives right?

the only reason I played the ME series on xbox consoles was for the controller

wow this is amazing news

ME1 ran like garbage on xbox 360 so even partial support for pc controller is worth it

so apart from ME3 MP (which I dont care about) this means that the PC version (on a good PC) is all positive with no negatives right?

the only reason I played the ME series on xbox consoles was for the controller

The graphics settings are limited but they run very well on even years old mid-low end PCs. Just beware that the DLCs are still at launch price so even if you get the trilogy edition you still need to throw in like 80$ for the whole experience.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So from what I've gathered it's not SGSSAA that's busted so much as it combined with a negative mipmap bias. You can enable SGSSAA just fine, but enabling the mipmap bias in recent drivers requires you set transparency antialiasing as some specific entry, which prevents you from adding SGSSAA. Damn.

So from what I've gathered it's not SGSSAA that's busted so much as it combined with a negative mipmap bias. You can enable SGSSAA just fine, but enabling the mipmap bias in recent drivers requires you set transparency antialiasing as some specific entry, which prevents you from adding SGSSAA. Damn.

wut

Mivey

Any speculations on why that would be the case?
Maybe the lead on the PC porting team was a hardcore PC master race zealot who hated all things console related with a vengeance.
Either that or programming the UI such that it automatically switches between two UIs was inconceivable to them, so they ripped the controller one out, maybe believing it could speed things up somehow.

The graphics settings are limited but they run very well on even years old mid-low end PCs. Just beware that the DLCs are still at launch price so even if you get the trilogy edition you still need to throw in like 80$ for the whole experience.

Wow thats a bargain to me, plus I picked up the base games near free in things like steam/origin sales since I knew eventually I'd like to play on PC.

Fave series of all time

ME2 & 3 run fine on xbox 360, but will benefit nicely from 60 fps and 1080p (I believe textures are greatly improved too)

ME1 plays like absolute garbage on xbox 360 and that basically torpedoed my plan to replay the entire trilogy from the beginning.

Another nice thing is I am VERY concerned what happens with ME3 stupid "have to play MP to get best war status" (forget exact name). I mean it makes money for them but what happens if I want to play ME3 in 10 or 20 years time? Are the servers down and I just cant ever get the high war status rating I want (100% of course, I believe default is 50% without raising)

I would imagine the PC community could patch if required to ensure complete ME3 SP can be experienced even if MP servers go dark.

Another nice thing is I am VERY concerned what happens with ME3 stupid "have to play MP to get best war status" (forget exact name). I mean it makes money for them but what happens if I want to play ME3 in 10 or 20 years time? Are the servers down and I just cant ever get the high war status rating I want (100% of course, I believe default is 50% without raising)
Just get Gibbd's ME3 save game editor and mod the SP war asset values.

Wow thats a bargain to me, plus I picked up the base games near free in things like steam/origin sales since I knew eventually I'd like to play on PC.

Fave series of all time

ME2 & 3 run fine on xbox 360, but will benefit nicely from 60 fps and 1080p (I believe textures are greatly improved too)

ME1 plays like absolute garbage on xbox 360 and that basically torpedoed my plan to replay the entire trilogy from the beginning.

I would imagine the PC community could patch if required to ensure complete ME3 SP can be experienced even if MP servers go dark.

The MP effort is no longer required to get the optimal ending with the free Extended Cut DLC. As long as you make the right choices and complete enough side missions you'll be fine. And yeah you can also just go for the save editor route to eliminate that worry completely.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the lead on the PC porting team was a hardcore PC master race zealot who hated all things console related with a vengeance.
Either that or programming the UI such that it automatically switches between two UIs was inconceivable to them, so they ripped the controller one out, maybe believing it could speed things up somehow.

Wasn't the UI specifically changed in the PC version of Mass Effect for mouse/keyboard though when ported ? I remember playing it with m/kb and it worked brilliantly and I also remember it being different too. I'd need to check though it's been a looooooooooong time since I saw Mass Effect on 360.

Taker34

Banned
I'm currently playing through ME1 and a controller with no issues so far. So yeah a dream just came true. We have near perfect, native controller support... you gotta wonder why BioWare refused to do this - but then I see the DLC prices and realize, they don't care at all.

GavinUK86

I'm currently playing through ME1 and a controller with no issues so far. So yeah a dream just came true. We have near perfect, native controller support... you gotta wonder why BioWare refused to do this - but then I see the DLC prices and realize, they don't care at all.

Well, some of the more vocal PC community are very anti-controller so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a big factor into their decision to not include it natively.

Wasn't the UI specifically changed in the PC version of Mass Effect for mouse/keyboard though when ported ? I remember playing it with m/kb and it worked brilliantly and I also remember it being different too. I'd need to check though it's been a looooooooooong time since I saw Mass Effect on 360.

Dragon Age Inquisition is the first and only BioWare game that has both controller and KB/M UI on PC, all their previous multiplat games have only KB/M and PC UI support.

The statement at the time was that they didnt have the budget for it.

Part of the concern may have been ongoing support issues, various controller options etc (third party, PS4 etc beyond the 360 and now X1)

Keits

Developer
I've been really wanting to replay these games on PC, but the lack of native controller support was stopping me. Here's to this project getting completed for all three games!

Edit : Donation drive is closed? I'd definitely love to contribute.

pahamrick

I've been really wanting to replay these games on PC, but the lack of native controller support was stopping me. Here's to this project getting completed for all three games!

Edit : Donation drive is closed? I'd definitely love to contribute.

The guy who the original donation drive was for up and disappeared like two months ago. Other people have finished what he started.

Keits

Developer
The guy who the original donation drive was for up and disappeared like two months ago. Other people have finished what he started.

Oh wow. So is support for ME1 also coming next?

Edit - caught up with the thread a bit but its a lot. Sounds like ME1 is available in some form or is WIP?

daninthemix

Just a bump to say the ME1 mod really is basically done now. Tutorial messages, inventory, everything. Anyone waiting on these mods to play the trilogy should go ahead and start now.

Really? My findings were that on newer drivers my compatibility bits either no longer worked at all (so no AA), or I got a horrible juddering in certain places (during cutscenes in ME3, for instance). You're saying it's all down to the LOD bias?

GHG

So what should I do to ME1 to make it look great?

Am I good to go if I just downsample or are there any other tweaks I should be looking at?

daninthemix

Am I good to go if I just downsample or are there any other tweaks I should be looking at?

SGSSAA arguably looks cleaner than downsampling to me, and with much less performance hit. I wrote the settings earlier in this thread.

Is SGSSAA still busted on the latest drivers? 355.60, came out on August 13th.

This texture pack is essential:
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect/mods/1/?

You can also force HBAO+ in Nvidia inspector with these bits:
0x0000002F

On an unrelated note, can console commands still be used on the keyboard while using the controller mod?

Top Bottom