• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 Story Discussion (SPOILERS - No Tags Required, You Have Been Warned!)

p01ar

GameTrailers
For the endgame I had all ship upgrade and everyone was loyal, except Legion because I sided with Tali.

I made a save right before using the relay so I could make changes to the team if needed.

Playthrough 1:

Pipe = Legion (not loyal)
Second Team Leader = Garrus

Shield = Jack
Take Hostages back = Zaeed
Second Team leader = Garrus

Personal Team = Miranda and Mordin

Legion died. I assumed this was because I lost loyalty.

Playthrough 2:
Same team for everything except the pipe. This time I used Tali and the full team survived.

I thought we knew that Harbinger was a Reaper from pretty early in the game? I swear that earlier in the game we see the Uber Collector with glowy eyes interacting with a computer and a holograph of a Reaper is floating in the display. I just assume the Reaper was controlling him, which made the whole story about the Collectors being Protheans more awesome.

Swag

Finally I got a fucken save where no one died, had to take Tali and Mordin with me because my engineers were horrible. Even got a new addition to the ending cut-scene. Ready for ME3 I am :D

It looks like the galaxy is boned from the ending. It looks like the Reapers are right about to launch their attack. Maybe in ME3 worlds will be under attack as you try to save them. Maybe instead of deciding to save party members it'll be whole worlds/civilizations.

Swag

I love how I go to get Zaeed after I finish the game and the conversation is still about stopping the Collectors :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
robut said:
It looks like the galaxy is boned from the ending. It looks like the Reapers are right about to launch their attack. Maybe in ME3 worlds will be under attack as you try to save them. Maybe instead of deciding to save party members it'll be whole worlds/civilizations.
I'm curious to know how this would work. Sovereign basically destroyed like half of the Alliance Systems fleet in ME1...having hundreds of Reapers against the Normandy SR-2 and the Alliance Fleet would be kinda strange unless they want us to forget stuff.

But it did take the Reapers centuries, I believe, to eradicate organic life (Vigil says this). So maybe they're not very fast moving.

edit: I forgot Sovereign did have the geth fleet with him.

p01ar

GameTrailers
Y2Kev said:
How did you know to assume that the Chief Bug's name wasn't Harbinger?

Not sure if this was a question for me, but I assumed he was being controlled because he was glowing like the other guys and he was communicating with the Reaper (or at least I thought he was).

For some reason that computer with the Harbinger holo reminded me of the computer that was in the room on Virmire when Shephard talked to Sovereign

p01ar

GameTrailers
Basileus777 said:
Anyone else read the first part of the Redemption comic that comes with the collector's edition?
It seems the Shadow Broker was the first person to retrieve Shep's body and was going to sell it to the Collectors. But Liara works with a Drell (and Cerberus) to retrieve the body. Maybe the rest will explain Liara's strange character development in ME2.

If you talk to Liara in the game she tells you this.

Y2Kev

Hmm, the glowing is a good idea. I thought he was glowing because he was controlling other bugs.

For some reason that computer with the Harbinger holo reminded me of the computer that was in the room on Virmire when Shephard talked to Sovereign

That's also pretty interesting. I don't know if I thought that, but that's some cool things to observe.

Yes, I think you have to do her hacking mission first though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Y2Kev said:
edit: I forgot Sovereign did have the geth fleet with him.

That does bring up a point, actually, if all those Geth were the "minority" that Legion mentions breaking off from the main Geth collective (I think he says minority in one of his conversations), and there were all those ships, the main Geth Collective has to be HUGE.

The quarians are gonna be fucked if that virus of theirs doesn't work. I'll probably have to go through my first playthrough again, and make sure I tell them not to go to war.

but I assumed he was being controlled because he was glowing like the other guys and he was communicating with the Reaper (or at least I thought he was).

At the end, though, doesn't Harbringer say "releasing control" again, and the "chief drone's" eyes do fade a little?

p01ar

GameTrailers
Was the uber-collector (don't know what else to call him) a "Prothean" like the mini bosses that you fought during the game? They looked similar, but I wasn't paying enough attention to compare them.

Y2Kev

Do you mean one of those flying things that can charge up and smash to the ground? I didn't think about that. I want to say no. If you have subtitles on, the first line of dialog from the giant bug calls him Collector General. So I guess he is a super bug.

As a side comment, I think it's really muddling to call them Protheans-- they're Protheans in the same way you or I are Australopithecus or something.

p01ar

GameTrailers
Y2Kev said:
Do you mean one of those flying things that can charge up and smash to the ground? I didn't think about that. I want to say no. If you have subtitles on, the first line of dialog from the giant bug calls him Collector General. So I guess he is a super bug.

As a side comment, I think it's really muddling to call them Protheans-- they're Protheans in the same way you or I are Australopithecus or something.

That's who I'm talking about.

The reason I put Protheans in quotes is because I thought they were called Protheans on their healthbars.

I just went back to check and they are called Praetorians.

It will be interesting to see how they handle the reaper invasion. You make some pretty big decisions over the two games which will seemingly directly impact the strength of the various races that will oppose the reapers.

The fate of the data from Mordins loyalty quest for the Krogans, adding to the strength of the Geth forces, encouraging or dissuading the Quarians from going to war with the Geth, releasing or killing the Rachni queen and keeping or destroying the collector base. That seems to cover the bulk of the races and I guess the council races are either dependant upon or trusting of you depending on your decision at the end of the first game.

Then there is the protheans/collectors. I'm not sure how we're meant to interpret the ending but it seemed like their controller was directly controlled by Harbinger. So were the obedient slaves regardless of Harbinger and they are entirely wiped out? There certainly seemed to be no shortage of them.

With so many decisions seemingly regarding the strength of the opposition to the reapers I wonder if you can potentially have doom the final outcome before even playing Mass Effect 3. I doubt it, but it would be amusing and likely simultaneously frustrating.

Metroidvania said:
That does bring up a point, actually, if all those Geth were the "minority" that Legion mentions breaking off from the main Geth collective (I think he says minority in one of his conversations), and there were all those ships, the main Geth Collective has to be HUGE.

The quarians are gonna be fucked if that virus of theirs doesn't work. I'll probably have to go through my first playthrough again, and make sure I tell them not to go to war.
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows if it was the entire heretic geth fleet that attacked the citadel or not. The alliance lost 9 cruisers defending the Destiny Ascension, we don't know if those are all the loses that were suffered during the battle.

The quarian flotilla is supposed to be the largest fleet but we don't know how many of them will be worth anything in battle. If they do try to retake their homeworld there will obviously be losses but its not completely hopeless.

Also, you can reprogram the heretics so they would rejoin the geth.

Just finished it, I think I enjoyed ME1 more.

The combat is a huge improvement over the broken shitty mess that was in ME1, but a lot of things around that left things to be desired. The 19h before the ending I felt like I was going on autopilot. Press the top right dialogue option for paragon points and press the blue "I win"-button (the good option usually without consequence) when it becomes available. Playing by that mantra got me through every situation with the best possible solution; I barely even read the options after a while since I already knew what would happen. The inventory was dull, interesting skills were scarce and I had more money/resources than I could/would spend throughout the whole game.

Felt like they stripped back the RPG aspect waaaay to much this time.

I’m also disappointed that they saved all the good stuff for the very last hour. There you have plenty of tough choices if you manage to care about the characters, it’s too bad that they don’t give you any time to think about the losses since the game ends shortly thereafter. Weak Bioware, weak. And then there was the repetition between the companion related stuff, I think I had grabbed someone’s gun to stop them from shooting someone else at least 3 or 4 times when all was said and done.

In ME1 you had plenty of choices that you felt as though they’d have an impact later on. Like the insect scenario, diplomatic relations with the council, the Wrex bit (though you could get out scot-free from that) and then in addition tons of stuff at the very end. It does share a lot of the same weaknesses though, and if I really cared about the combat instead of the stuff surrounding it then ME2 would be my go-to game. As it is now though, I’m mainly just disappointed with it.

Oh and on a completely different note, why did Miranda insist on doing the naughty in the engine room, of all places? “Only the best is good enough for me!”, sure, a cold metal floor is really the height of modern comfort. I love what you did with the place when you “prepared” it by the way, I was expecting maybe some candles or flower petals, but this stark nothingness really caught me off guard. A pillow would’ve been nice. How about next time I get to choose the spot? Maybe in one of the observation rooms, or even the captain’s cabin! I could clean out the dead fish if that’s what’s bothering you. Hell what about your—ah never mind, I’m sure you have a really good reason for all of this.

I mean, they could’ve at least picked a more practical room for safety reasons, like maybe the bathroom, where someone’s ass could be planted far away from vital ship systems. I’m sure EDI was bouncing against the walls of her digital prison when Miranda’s chiselled buttocks were rubbing against the controls for the magnetic-stabilization field holding the ship’s core in-place.

And about the bathrooms, Cerberus sure is lucky that Shepard has such a strong affection for bi-pedal alien companions, all fit for the human way of life. I’m unsure if Grunt would fit in there though, if not there’s always the airlock I guess.

Anyway I hope all this counts as story related.

As for my endning, 4 coffins, one containning a character I thought had potential (Legion). The bugs caught him, which I thought was a bit weird. Why didn't the "bug stealth" work by the end again? And didn't Mordin have enough time to improve it before we got there? Bleh.

*Oh and could you do anything with that "information on Cerberus" you found in the side-quest installation with the rogue AI? I kept it for myself and never got to do anything with it.

Y2Kev

Danne-Danger said:
And then there was the repetition between the companion related stuff, I think I had grabbed someone’s gun to stop them from shooting someone else at least 3 or 4 times when all was said and done.
Oooh I remember this :lol

Quick question, I'm doing my second playthrough and can I have a romance with Kelly and Miranda. I thought I read somewhere that Kelly doesn't count, she is more a fling like the consort.

duk

Banned
CrazedArabMan said:
Quick question, I'm doing my second playthrough and can I have a romance with Kelly and Miranda. I thought I read somewhere that Kelly doesn't count, she is more a fling like the consort.

ur a space marine player

JambiBum

CrazedArabMan said:
Well I mostly just want Kelly to feed my fish. :lol
I didn't actually know that you could do anything with her until my friends told me. I was like wtf she will feed your fish? I'm doing some endgame stuff like looking for anomalies to try and get my Shep to a level 30. I can still flirt with her, Tali, and Samara. Tali wants me to end things with Miranda. Can't do that. I enjoy calling Miranda up to my quarters and having her sit on my lap too much lol. Jack just flat out hates me. Only says "Fuck Off!" every time I try to talk to her. Even though I did the paragon action with her after the fight with her and Miranda to try and save face.

Trickster

JambiBum said:
I didn't actually know that you could do anything with her until my friends told me. I was like wtf she will feed your fish? I'm doing some endgame stuff like looking for anomalies to try and get my Shep to a level 30. I can still flirt with her, Tali, and Samara. Tali wants me to end things with Miranda. Can't do that. I enjoy calling Miranda up to my quarters and having her sit on my lap too much lol. Jack just flat out hates me. Only says "Fuck Off!" every time I try to talk to her. Even though I did the paragon action with her after the fight with her and Miranda to try and save face.

Wait, is this the limit of what your romance with kelly will get ya?

JambiBum

Trickster said:
Wait, is this the limit of what your romance with kelly will get ya?
I'm not sure as I haven't gotten that far with her. But from what my friends have said and other GAF, you can never actually do anything with Kelly besides have dinner.

LiK

i like certain times when characters you pick for your squad might enhance the mission.

for Legion's loyalty mission, i took Tali with me and she added a lot to the conversation with her fears of the Geth.

same thing happened when i took Miranda with me to the last boss. when Illusive Man told her to stop me, she responded against him since she was on my side. kinda wondering what happens with a different party member not affiliated with Cerberus

JambiBum said:
I'm not sure as I haven't gotten that far with her. But from what my friends have said and other GAF, you can never actually do anything with Kelly besides have dinner.

same here. but after i beat the game, they said you can keep romancing your teammates. i guess you can keep trying? i'm a female Shep and i'm trying to get Tali too, lol. got close since Tali actually said she wanted to share her suit with me.

btw, i tested to see how Garrus would respond about me going after him and it's hellas funny.

LiK said:
i like certain times when characters you pick for your squad might enhance the mission.

for Legion's loyalty mission, i took Tali with me and she added a lot to the conversation with her fears of the Geth.

same thing happened when i took Miranda with me to the last boss. when Illusive Man told her to stop me, she responded against him since she was on my side. kinda wondering what happens with a different party member not affiliated with Cerberus

Agreed, though I sort of wished that sort of party interaction happened more often. Sometimes the third character feels entirely invisible. I suppose it feels a little lackluster in that regard having just come after Dragon Age.

LiK

SenorDingDong said:
Agreed, though I sort of wished that sort of party interaction happened more often. Sometimes the third character feels entirely invisible. I suppose it feels a little lackluster in that regard having just come after Dragon Age.

yea, you need to click on specific locations for them to respond while exploring a city. they dont even talk to each other randomly. even the first ME had that during the elevator sections. i wonder why they took it out. i was UBER disappiinted that your party members from ME1 don't respond to your squad if you have Tali or Garrus there. Wrex and Liari didn't notice them at all. such missed opportunity

but you guys gotta check the Engineer section often with the two engineers there. they make a lot of funny conversations after every ship upgrade and mission. well worth it.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
so did anyone else romance tali? and get extremely pissed off when you dont see her face when shep takes her facemask off? i feel like she's going to have a typical DERP face or something

LiK

Weeman0313 said:
so did anyone else romance tali? and get extremely pissed off when you dont see her face when shep takes her facemask off? i feel like she's going to have a typical DERP face or something

how long did it take to romance her? i only got to the point where she wanted to share suits before the end of the game.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
LiK said:
how long did it take to romance her? i only got to the point where she wanted to share suits before the end of the game.

shes rather picky, you basically have to say "go fuck yourself" to any other girl on the crew, then she'll say shes scarred about getting sick and will do research, you then have the option to say "no its too dangerous" "i can wait" or "nevermind not interested". choose "i can wait" and she'll eventually show up in your bedroom doped up on medicine lol

LiK

Weeman0313 said:
shes rather picky, you basically have to say "go fuck yourself" to any other girl on the crew, then she'll say shes scarred about getting sick and will do research, you then have the option to say "no its too dangerous" "i can wait" or "nevermind not interested". choose "i can wait" and she'll eventually show up in your bedroom doped up on medicine lol

ah, thanks. i finally get to romance Tali, huhu. i love her voice.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
LiK said:
ah, thanks. i finally get to romance Tali, huhu. i love her voice.

she's actually nice, i don't like what liara turns into. feels like she'd fuck me over in the 3rd one so i fucked her over first with tali :-D

LiK

Weeman0313 said:
she's actually nice, i don't like what liara turns into. feels like she'd fuck me over in the 3rd one so i fucked her over first with tali :-D

yea, Liara was my partner in the first game. Bioware really changed her.

Matty McDee

Neo Member
CrazedArabMan said:
I did it with both Tali and Miranda so I would assume it works the same way you just need to blow it off with one of them.

dralla

the story was surprisingly straight forward, don't really understand the purpose of the human reaper, does it do anything different that the others? they never really gave you enough time to understand it. just kill it

Weeman0313

Neo Member
Matty McDee said:
I did it with both Tali and Miranda so I would assume it works the same way you just need to blow it off with one of them.

different playthroughs right? tali bitches about getting sick as is, she'd probably get SUPER AIDS if there was another person involved

I had no clue who you were supposed to pick for the second alt team. Garrus lead the survivors back to my ship, Samara was protecting my squad, and Zaheed lead the alt squad and got shot like a bitch. He was the only one to die.

Game was incredible, btw. Now that I'm reflecting a bit more, I think the one thing ME1 had over it was a better creation of space society. ME2 is really dense, which is a good thing for gameplay, at least. I saw someone mentioning that the choices you make at times don't seem to have big picture consequences, and I'll agree with that also.

LiK

OMG, just got on a 2nd date with Kelly and she's strip dancing in my Cabin....no i'm not joking, this is hilarious and awesome. thanks Bioware :lol

LiK said:
OMG, just got on a 2nd date with Kelly and she's strip dancing in my Cabin....no i'm not joking, this is hilarious and awesome. thanks Bioware :lol

wait, wait...how do you get Kelly? all she ever did with me was go up to my room and offer to feed my fish... I want that to be a euphemism :(

LiK

Linkzg said:
wait, wait...how do you get Kelly? all she ever did with me was go up to my room and offer to feed my fish... I want that to be a euphemism :(

not sure what the requirements are. but she emailed me that she wanted another date. so i had to go back to my cabin and call her up. not only does she dance, but she sits on your lap to chat and lies in bed with you. no sex tho.

it doesn't seem to count for the Paramour achievement so it's kinda lame. i guess it's just an easter egg/reward for people who treated Kelly nice.

btw, i'm a female Shep so Kelly swings both ways, i guess ;)

TofuEater

This is what I had at the end:

Loyal people:
Thane, Jacob, Samara, Garrus, Legion, Miranda, Grunt, Mordin,

Non Loyal:
Jack, Tali

People who died and how:

Tali, ship explosion lulz
Thane after the pipe scene, rocket to the face :lol
Garrus taken by the swarm... [insert expletive] :(:(
Samara and Jack died near the end when escaping

The game merchant in the citidel is full of win

asari-hanar porn games from shin akiba ftw :lol :lol

LiK

how do you guys not get the 100% loyalty? i assume you get them by simply completing their missions.

Swag

LiK said:
how do you guys not get the 100% loyalty? i assume you get them by simply completing their missions.

Some of the missions require a choice that may be what the character wants but not something that your willing to do depending on whether your paragon / renegade.

Example Tali doesn't want you to give the evidence, Zaeed doesn't want you to save the guys on the refinery. If you go against what they want, you'll have to convince them through Renegade / Paragon conversation options, if you don't have a high enough level for it then your SoL on loyalty I suppose.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lostconfused said:
Actually thinking about it. It was pretty dumb how every single person who could have actually put up a fight when the ship got boarded got crammed onto the shuttle.

I always thought when they go to a mission they all go in a shuttle and not all of them go out with Shepard, this explains why you can change squads at the shuttle :p

p01ar said:

really ? I don't recall her going into the Shadow-broker taking the body thing .. might hafta replay ..

LiK

Sebulon3k said:
Some of the missions require a choice that may be what the character wants but not something that your willing to do depending on whether your paragon / renegade.

Example Tali doesn't want you to give the evidence, Zaeed doesn't want you to save the guys on the refinery. If you go against what they want, you'll have to convince them through Renegade / Paragon conversation options, if you don't have a high enough level for it then your SoL on loyalty I suppose.

ohhh, i see. my Paragon alignment was uber high so i always had that dialogue choice. makes sense. i'm such a goody goody in these games :D

Matty McDee

Neo Member
Weeman0313 said:
different playthroughs right? tali bitches about getting sick as is, she'd probably get SUPER AIDS if there was another person involved
Nope. I did it in the same playthrough.

Once you do it with Miranda and talk to Tali, Tali will being to talk about how she doesn't want to share you with Miranda (or Jack). So what you need to do is talk to Miranda (or Jack) and tell them you aren't interested.

I did it out of pure curiosity and it was worth the lols.

LiK

Matty McDee said:
Nope. I did it in the same playthrough.

Once you do it with Miranda and talk to Tali, Tali will being to talk about how she doesn't want to share you with Miranda (or Jack). So what you need to do is talk to Miranda (or Jack) and tell them you aren't interested.

I did it out of pure curiosity and it was worth the lols.

i had none of these choices, not even with Jack even tho she hints that she goes both ways. playing as Female Shep, i never got past just being really friendly with them. guess i'll need to play as a dude

Swag

LiK said:
ohhh, i see. my Paragon alignment was uber high so i always had that dialogue choice. makes sense. i'm such a goody goody in these games :D

I remember there was one time where I didn't have a high enough score for it, and missed out on the conversation option. Was kind of annoying, also for example I think you have to have a high enough Renegade to kill Samara in favor of Morinth because I didn't see the option on my first playthrough when I was full paragon.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
LiK said:
i had none of these choices, not even with Jack even tho she hints that she goes both ways. playing as Female Shep, i never got past just being really friendly with them. guess i'll need to play as a dude

^ Yeah, Fem shep doesn't go for any of them .. As a dude though it's really easy to save, break up with Miranda, go bump Tali, reload, go break up with Miranda, go bump Jack, reload and call it a day :p

LiK

Sebulon3k said:
I remember there was one time where I didn't have a high enough score for it, and missed out on the conversation option. Was kind of annoying, also for example I think you have to have a high enough Renegade to kill Samara in favor of Morinth because I didn't see the option on my first playthrough when I was full paragon.

really? i had 100% paragon and maybe 5% Renegade from not agreeing with Illusive Man in a few decisions and i got the option to kill either one. that was pretty cool.

chandoog said:
^ Yeah, Fem shep doesn't go for any of them .. As a dude though it's really easy to save, break up with Miranda, go bump Tali, reload, go break up with Miranda, go bump Jack, reload and call it a day :p

you know what REALLY sucks? i had the option to mack on Samara and just when we're about to kiss, she rejected me! i thought i was gonna have another Asari sex scene, but alas....seems like lesbo sex is not in the sequel :lol

Top Bottom