• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Extended CG Launch Trailer - Take Back Earth [Up: Trailer Released]

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Much better, and I loved the first one.

Can't wait for the launch trailer. I still watch the ME2 launch trailer randomly from time to time.

Loved it. Trailers seemed to set the tone well.

ME2 you were a kick ass marine back from the dead, the trailer did a good job of conveying that.

ME3 the tone is much darker, you have Earth decimated. It works.

Also, what 2 songs are used in the ME3 trailer? Two steps from hell I'm assuming, but what are the names?

isual

Nothing wrong with these trailers, but I just don't understand why there should be such trailers. Is it to build up hype? I'm assuming we won't be able to do any of these things (a la' jump up high to slay that big giant). As David Jaffe puts it 'it's like a movie to a trailer that doesn't exist' during his DICE 2012 panel.

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, I have a slight hunch they very intentionally took this angle, including the heavy, heavy marketing focus on combat.
Yeah, it seems very deliberate of them to make their trailers look very uncharacteristic of the series. I keep getting the feeling that I don't know what I'm gonna get when I buy ME3 because the trailers and the demo feel completely different from what I would've expected after ME2. What's more, they look kinda cheap, specially considering the leap there was between ME1 and ME2 in trailer quality.

I think I'm gonna wait this one out just because of the marketing. I'm pretty stoked about a new Mass Effect, even if I thought ME2 was a stepback in ambition, but I can't afford to buy ME3 in hopes that the actual game is completely unlike how it's promoted.

BigTnaples

Nothing wrong with these trailers, but I just don't understand why there should be such trailers. Is it to build up hype? I'm assuming we won't be able to do any of these things (a la' jump up high to slay that big giant).

Answered your own question. (It is rather obvious anyway) yes the trailer is to build hype. Which is why it was hyped up and marketed during walking dead. To get hype and sales.

Don't think to much into it.

U2NUMB

Removed that crap they had on the official wallpaper.

Adjusted Logo Version Link
masseffectdesktoppreview.jpg

Adjusted Non Logo Version Link
masseffectdesktopnologopreview.jpg

clip

So the reapers are attacking Earth because they need organic matter or something, right?

Why are they attacking cities and shooting lasers all over? Most of Earth's biomass and organic matter is in the oceans.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So the reapers are attacking Earth because they need organic matter or something, right?

Why are they attacking cities and shooting lasers all over? Most of Earth's biomass and organic matter is in the oceans.

They want human organic matter, not run-of-the-mill whale organic matter.

clip

They want human organic matter, not run-of-the-mill whale organic matter.

Why exactly? They're ancient super space beings that can fly between galaxies. Can't they just reorder whatever elements/compounds they want from other types of living things?

Patryn

They don't care about just any organic matter, they want humans.

Which is why they keep killing them or turning them into husks, even though they need them alive in order to process them.

See! It all makes sense!

Why exactly? They're ancient super space beings that can fly between galaxies. Can't they just reorder whatever elements/compounds they want from other types of living things?

Humanity has a super special genetic thingy that allows them to make a Reaper out of it that no other current species (or the Protheans) had.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Because it's pulping science fiction nonsense that plays the human master race card.

EatChildren

Why can't I get a good simple science fiction story from a video game. :(

Iono. In recent times, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably one of the more accomplished games in how it handles it's science fiction themes (until the conspiracy stuff takes over). Mass Effect was never really that though. It was always pulpy science fiction in line with stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars.

clip

Iono. In recent times, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably one of the more accomplished games in how it handles it's science fiction themes (until the conspiracy stuff takes over). Mass Effect was never really that though. It was always pulpy science fiction in line with stuff like Star Trek and Star Wars.

Yeah, I liked Mass Effect a lot. I just thought it was about some rogue bad dude who wanted more power and I was out to stop him because no one believed he could do it. No one trusted me because I was a lowly human, the bad guy was defeated and all was well.

I'd like to see something more in line with Star Trek, but without a bunch of aliens and space politics.

I loved DE:HR until the end. What was the deal with the robot girls in the basement of the global warming stopping thing?

Yeah, I liked Mass Effect a lot. I just thought it was about some rogue bad dude who wanted more power and I was out to stop him because no one believed he could do it. No one trusted me because I was a lowly human, the bad guy was defeated and all was well.

No offense really, but you must not have liked it enough to pay attention then, since that's not even close to what it is...

x-Lundz-x

Trailer was ok. CG trailers are always pretty meh for me.

Now where is my launch trailer that contains the epicness of the ME2 launch trailer? Seriously Bioware, you made arguably one of the best trailers ever made. You need to give us something like that again.

i-Lo

Yea, that is very true. At the same time, I think it is because it has to work with the game mechanics (i.e. control limitations and response requirements by the players) and has to be relate-able to a person (that's why h00mins are always at the forefront). Personally, I don't consider ME to be a beautiful looking game with some really interesting architecture. That said the lack of imagination in the world of ME is really noticeable and has plagued the space sci-fi genre for a very long time.

To list a few examples:

1. Gravity- Every planet feels like it has the same gravitational properties. I can't believe that all alien life would require 9.8m/s2 to evolve and exist.

2. Alien design- Almost every alien race in ME is humanoid. Two hands, two eyes, two legs, two breasts etc. The more interesting designs were that of Volus and Hanar. Of course, since we do not know what an ET looks like it can be anything but humanoid design for almost all other races is weak. It's commercially sensible yet creatively lazy. After all, it is highly arrogant of humans to think that other alien races would have evolved the same way we did with similar genetic blueprint.

3. English, do you speak it? Everybody speaks english in future... or whatever you like to listen to. If there was an universal translator perhaps it it would be a brilliant excuse to bad lip syncing.

4. Sound in space- It's vacuum out there. No one can hear you. Thank ye Firefly & Serenity for getting it right.

5. Manoeuvring in space- There is no air in space. As such flying through space as if the aerodynamic properties of it were similar to flying in atmosphere is bad science. It's widespread problem. It is not impossible to manoeuvre like that in space but it is inefficient during the way it would have to burn fuel. Add to that it'd need a lot more thrusters to be fitted all around the bodywork.

monome

I hate the trailer.

So far away from what made me love Mass Effect at first sight.

It takes itself too seriously, where is my cheesyness? where is my 70's filter grain?
Too close to Gears.

Personally, i'll continue with Obama Shepard

http://www.abload.de/img/iucve3wxix.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/ert9pbfcvl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

This is hilarious to me, the only male Shepard I've made ended up looking like Obama before I had even heard of Obama. It was a pretty damned funny thing to notice years later when loading up the game.

Shepard
killed one of them. Imagine you were part of a race that considered themselves gods, until a single creature the size of an ant killed one of you.

Mass Effect 2 has them interested in
Human genetics, and reaper reproduction.

I'm perfectly happy with them playing the eldritch abomination card. Unknowable.

Shepard

I hate the trailer.

So far away from what made me love Mass Effect at first sight.

It takes itself too seriously, where is my cheesyness? where is my 70's filter grain?
Too close to Gears.

apart from some side-missions/secondary characters, mass effect always took itself seriously. About the filter, it's strange: I always played with it turned off for both ME1 and 2, but I really missed it in the first demo section. Go figure.

3. English, do you speak it? Everybody speaks english in future... or whatever you like to listen to. If there was an universal translator perhaps it it would be a brilliant excuse to bad lip syncing.

They actually do have universal translators!

From the codex:

Human cultures remain linguistically divided. Some converse in Spanish, others in Mandarin, Arabic, Swahili, etc. Every alien race has their own equally broad panoply of languages and dialects.

Most individuals know only their mother tongue, and rely on machine translation. Modern portable computers allow anyone with a few hundred credits of equipment to enjoy seamless real-time translation of alien languages, courtesy of handheld PDAs, computers in clothing or jewelry, or sub-dermal implants. Without fast and accurate translation, galactic trade and culture would not exist.

Governments provide subsidized software, updated through the public extranet "on the fly", often as users approach spaceport customs facilities. Even the batarians, who isolated themselves from galactic society nearly two decades ago, take pains to provide up-to-date glossaries and linguistic rules, though most suspect that this is only so they can continue exporting propaganda.

It is still considered broad-minded and practical to be able to speak without machine aid. Children often take courses in alien language, and most races can speak the simplified artificial "trade tongue" with little difficulty.

Some species must rely on machine translation to interact with the rest of the galaxy. Hanar, for example, cannot reproduce the spoken language of any humanoid species, and other races cannot reproduce hanar bioluminescence without mechanical aid. Newly discovered or obscure races don't have machine translation available until the linguists have had time to study them.

Of course that doesn't really explain why all the signage is in English at places like Omega, the Citadel and Ilium.

Some of the ME lore has always been kinda wonky, like the ridiculously short time humanity has taken in settling all over the galaxy since the discovery of FTL and mass relays. Or how culturally human the alien species are. For example, there's absolutely nothing to distinguish Liara's apartment from a human one Apparently all aliens like their living spaces with kitchens, beds, and balconies with nice views!.

FStop7

Banned
Jessica Chobot is the secret to defeating the Reapers. They will absorb her and then die. Like the computer virus in Independence Day.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Another one coming this week too.

Chris Priestly said:
Who's watching The Walking Dead tonight? Another new ME3 commercial with loads of Easter Eggs debuts in tonight's episode. #ME3

https://twitter.com/?utm_campaign=BioEvilChris&utm_content=173856632730693635&utm_medium=fb&utm_source=fb#!/BioEvilChris

Kinyou

The "Take Back Earth" line is starting to annoy me more and more. I mean take back earth? I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WE LOST IT!

It's the same stupid thing they did in the ME2 reveal trailer, "Shepard? But you were dead!" ; no Shepard wasn't dead at the end of ME1 so why are you saying this?

rozay

Banned
Launch trailer will probably be out at the end of this week or next sunday, but I don't really know if it'll be as good as ME2's considering how poor some of the marketing videos for this game have been.

Complistic

The "Take Back Earth" line is starting to annoy me more and more. I mean take back earth? I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WE LOST IT!

It's the same stupid thing they did in the ME2 reveal trailer, "Shepard? But you were dead!" ; no Shepard wasn't dead at the end of ME1 so why are you saying this?

You can't really market a story driven game without giving away some details about the game.

Kinyou

You can't really market a story driven game without giving away some details about the game.
It's not really that they are giving away some of the story, it's rather how they seem to assume that I already know all this stuff and now should be eager to "take back earth." Something like "Fight for earth" or "Defend Mankind" would make more sense to me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's not really that they are giving away some of the story, it's rather how they seem to assume that I already know all this stuff and now should be eager to "take earth back"

The marketing for this hasn't really been targeted at fans of the series. It's trying to get more people on board and the idea of saving Earth from a threat seems to resonate well with that demographic.

It's not really that they are giving away some of the story, it's rather how they seem to assume that I already know all this stuff and now should be eager to "take earth back"

It's the same as taglines on movie posters.

And in every piece of marketing, Earth is being assaulted.

BigTnaples

The trailer itself shows you everything you need to know...

It shows Earth when all is fine, then shows the appearance of the Reapers and shows them destroying everything. Then it shows Shepard returning after some time to the same location and attempting to "Take Earth Back".

Anyone, even if they had never heard of Mass Effect would understand why they are saying "Take Earth Back".

If there were to be a reason to take issue with the "Take Earth Back" tagline it would be that it seems to narrow the scope. You are setting out to save all sentient life in the entire galaxy of comprised of hundreds of thousands of stars and planets....

It is similar to an umbrella species, when an ecosystem is in danger we pick the fluffy cutsey creature to be the mascot to gain support because no one is intelligent enough to care about the loss of less cute lifeforms.

This is essentially what Bioware is doing with ME3. Making it about Earth because that is easier for people to get invested in.

Top Bottom