• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Right as I was about to buy one they stopped it. Ugh. I still have a lot, but I need more.

I need an Asari Adept too, one of the few classes I still need, and the one I want most. I got it out of a Starter Pack in the beta, lol

And I got the Carnifex 1 today (N7 rating 160 something), honestly, I was disappointed. I prefer the Phalanx.

I've been stuck with Phalanx I since the premium veteran packs disappeared, i love it. Maybe i should buy some veteran packs to upgrade it... but then again i really want the asari adept at the least.

You're talking about the room on the lower level back by the end corner of the map, or the one in the room with a stairway going up on the left and one going down on the right?

The room in the lower deck. If you try the stairway, you'e so fucked : they will overrun you quickly, leaving you no room to back up or manover against pyro or even primes

rozay

Banned
The room in the lower deck. If you try the stairway, you'e so fucked : they will overrun you quickly, leaving you no room to back up or manover against pyro or even primes
I wonder if it's doable with 2 salarian engineers covering both stairways with decoys. I imagine as enemies would literally be clumped together in the stairways, energy draining and biotic explosions would literally destroy everything at a much faster rate than the lower room..

exYle

So, did the Falcon used to be a weapon worthy of the gods, or something? Because I just got one tonight and, well... I'm disappointed.

GorillaJu

Has this game had a patch yet? I'm sick of it crashing my PS3 so I decided not to play until it gets fixed up a bit. AFAIK the crash issue is pretty wide spread.

The worst part is that after the first crash, my PS3's disc drive is suddenly inexplicably loud. Used to be so quiet I couldn't even hear it

Edgeward

Has this game had a patch yet? I'm sick of it crashing my PS3 so I decided not to play until it gets fixed up a bit. AFAIK the crash issue is pretty wide spread.

The worst part is that after the first crash, my PS3's disc drive is suddenly inexplicably loud. Used to be so quiet I couldn't even hear it

Nope and no real ETA either. Haven't touched SP since the shadows for me on PC are way too much. They are taking too fucking long with it.

Nert

Drell Adept is such a powerful class (horrible sound bug aside). The Reave w/ radius upgrade and Cluster Grenade combo obliterates just about everything, and with the movement speed bonuses from Fitness, it's pretty easy to restock the grenades. Pull isn't that great, but having a few points in it makes Guardians simpler to deal with.

And as a video posted here earlier demonstrates, Drell Adept/Human Vanguard is an unstoppable combination. Reave, Charge, Explosion, Reave, Charge, Explosion....

Gold match, random guy disconnect, got remplaced by a ... Human vanguard. He managed to get to us and then he started to shockwave around.

It felt like a dubstep light & sound show for 30 minutes. With geth flying around.

Oh and First ultra rare : Scorpion pistol.

Kenaras

It used to have twice the capacity in each mag too. It was basically good for staggering groups of enemies and AoE of ammo powers

Actually it was the spare ammo that got nerfed; magazine size is the same as ever. You can still chain stun groups of enemies with it and get AoE ammo powers, but you deal 1/3rd as much damage while doing so.

The old Falcon dealt slightly lower single-target DPS relative to other weapons, but the AoE, stagger, and ability to bounce shots made up for it. To make full use of the weapon you had to host, so you could fire at full speed without getting screwed by bug which causes it to fire blanks. The new Falcon still retains the same characteristics, but instead of dealing slightly lower DPS it deals far and away the worst DPS of any weapon. It would still be a solid weapon if the game had a properly implemented two-weapon design, but the horrible implementation of the weight system forces most classes into using a single weapon.

koji

Opened my first spectre pack sunday and unlocked the Asari Adept, awesome cause that's the character I really wanted to play. Never thought I'd get it so soon, I'm usually pretty unlucky with stuff like that... :) (also the first character and only character I've unlocked so far, I'm N7 rank 40 or something)

I'm hooked, shit... need some better weapons/mods though, what should I buy for that, spectre packs as well? Or veteran? Using a Phalanx atm, still low rank... It's not bad but I'd like some more ammo and I don't really like carrying an SMG around...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Opened my first spectre pack sunday and unlocked the Asari Adept, awesome cause that's the character I really wanted to play. Never thought I'd get it so soon, I'm usually pretty unlucky with stuff like that... :) (also the first character and only character I've unlocked so far, I'm N7 rank 40 or something)

I'm hooked, shit... need some better weapons/mods though, what should I buy for that, spectre packs as well? Or veteran? Using a Phalanx atm, still low rank as well. It's not bad but I'd like some more ammo and I don't really like carrying an SMG around...

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend sticking to the recruit packs to get all the basic stuff and get it upgraded fast. Getting things like the Mantis and Avenger to X really helps out in the long run.

koji

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend sticking to the recruit packs to get all the basic stuff and get it upgraded fast. Getting things like the Mantis and Avenger to X really helps out in the long run.

Recruit packs? Really? K, will do, thanks!

Westraid

Drell Adept is such a powerful class (horrible sound bug aside). The Reave w/ radius upgrade and Cluster Grenade combo obliterates just about everything, and with the movement speed bonuses from Fitness, it's pretty easy to restock the grenades. Pull isn't that great, but having a few points in it makes Guardians simpler to deal with.

And as a video posted here earlier demonstrates, Drell Adept/Human Vanguard is an unstoppable combination. Reave, Charge, Explosion, Reave, Charge, Explosion....
I refrained from playing Adept until I got the Drell Adept two days ago, and I'm really liking it so far. My friend plays it all the time and we'd team up with my Human Vanguard, now we can switch characters.

I love how the classes go so well together, but it's not common knowledge, apparently.

X-Frame

I love the irony.

On a related note, I always play power heavy build and I end up using the same weapons all the time because they have low weight. I got fancy weapons, but they are all sooooo heavy.

This is why I find myself building my chars as Glass Cannons to take advantage of some of the Rank 6 weapon/power trees.

I have no points in Fitness on my Asari Adept and survive fine on Gold, just can't be stupid.

Arjen

Started playing this myself, i just do pull, reave, pull, reave. Cooldown is so freakin fast, it's non stop biotic explosions.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I have this build too. Even if you put points in fitness you have to play very carefully and take cover A LOT because it won't matter shit if you have 850 or just 500 shields.

ah, I see. yes, it doesn't matter in this case.

you should watch your surroundings then because these nasty creatures tend to sneak on you or attack from flanks.

Kyoufu

I only crashed once in multiplayer and that was on Vanguard. I only play Infiltrator now and honestly haven't seen a crash since.

This is why I find myself building my chars as Glass Cannons to take advantage of some of the Rank 6 weapon/power trees.

I have no points in Fitness on my Asari Adept and survive fine on Gold, just can't be stupid.

I end up using my basic Predator X... With the right ammo and a pistol amp III it can shatter anything. I wish I had a gun with a bit more... punch though.

X-Frame

I end up using my basic Predator X... With the right ammo and a pistol amp III it can shatter anything. I wish I had a gun with a bit more... punch though.

Great gun. I've never used anything beyond a level I amp as I haven't felt like I really needed them.

I hate using them except with a team I trust because if they're all terrible and die in the first round or the games lags or people quit I just wasted a great amp. I hate the limited, use-it-and-lose-it systems like this. I just hoard them.

Just like I hoarded Heavy Weapon ammo in ME2 a lot even on Insanity.

DY_nasty

ah, I see. yes, it doesn't matter in this case.

you should watch your surroundings then because these nasty creatures tend to sneak on you or attack from flanks.

I don't touch Fitness either most of the time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Started playing this myself, i just do pull, reave, pull, reave. Cooldown is so freakin fast, it's non stop biotic explosions.

I started doing this with my Drell Adept, but the Biotic Explosions feel weak when compared to my Human Sentinel. Am I doing something wrong? How exactly is Biotic Explosion damage calculated?

I started doing this with my Drell Adept, but the Biotic Explosions feel weak when compared to my Human Sentinel. Am I doing something wrong? How exactly is Biotic Explosion damage calculated?

Percentage it seems like, and it scales with difficulty.

I've tried different builds with the Drell Adept now on Kenaras' suggestion (with varying levels of Pull, Fitness and Assassin... maxing Reave/Cluster Grenade is a must IMO). If you max Fitness, not getting level 6 on Pull is very tangible (with 50% bonus to biotic explosions).

At level 4 Pull, a Pull/Reave biotic explosion will often leave a full health cannibal with half its bars left, which is too much life for Reave to drain quickly. It still requires shots from your weapon or another explosion, which can be difficult since the initial explosion will usually make them fly off somewhere. The level 6 Fitness benefits are very tangible though... specced with 40% damage reduction on Reave, you definitely have increased survivability (but is still worthless against the insta-shield-draining attacks like from a Nemesis, Ravager, etc.)

At level 6 Pull, a Pull/Reave biotic explosion will sometimes kill a full health cannibal outright, but if not, then Reave will kill it immediately thereafter (before it can even stand up). This is a suggested build if you really want to embody the "glass cannon" playstyle, as you can eliminate large groups of varied enemies very, very quicky.

My suggestions:

- If you are very comfortable with ammo box cycling (for grenades) and the Drell's movement speed and the ability to stay out of close quarters combat... spec for level 6 Pull, level 4 Assassin and level 4 Fitness. You will be able to put down enemies extremely fast but DO. NOT. ENGAGE. UP. CLOSE.

- If you are just learning the Drell Adept playstyle, then spec level 6 Fitness, level 4 Pull (radius), level 4 Assassin. You have a larger room for error but note that this build is also heavily dependent on your weapon (as you won't be cleaning up the basic troops as fast).

Edit: Also, for all the Drell Adepts out there... learn how to move around the map. Yes, this means sometimes moving away from your teammates if it means they're standing their ground. You are far more effective when facing the enemy's side/back than you are when facing them head-on. Learning to consistently roam around the map while clearing yourself a path (and giving yourself access to the various ammo boxes) will make you a very efficient Adept.

(If you're playing with a friend(s) that is also a biotic, by all means stick near them and combine your powers though).

DY_nasty

I thought it was by percentage. Never was sure though... I know that warp has certain buffs towards explosions though.

Also, is it just me or do tech explosions do way more?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Percentage it seems like, and it scales with difficulty.

I've tried different builds with the Drell Adept now on Kenaras' suggestion (with varying levels of Pull, Fitness and Assassin... maxing Reave/Cluster Grenade is a must IMO). If you max Fitness, not getting level 6 on Pull is very tangible (with 50% bonus to biotic explosions).

At level 4 Pull, a Pull/Reave biotic explosion will often leave a full health cannibal with half its bars left, which is too much life for Reave to drain quickly. It still requires shots from your weapon or another explosion, which can be difficult since the initial explosion will usually make them fly off somewhere. The level 6 Fitness benefits are very tangible though... specced with 40% damage reduction on Reave, you definitely have increased survivability (but is still worthless against the insta-shield-draining attacks like from a Nemesis, Ravager, etc.)

At level 6 Pull, a Pull/Reave biotic explosion will sometimes kill a full health cannibal outright, but if not, then Reave will kill it immediately thereafter (before it can even stand up). This is a suggested build if you really want to embody the "glass cannon" playstyle, as you can eliminate large groups of varied enemies very, very quicky.

My suggestions:

- If you are very comfortable with ammo box cycling (for grenades) and the Drell's movement speed and the ability to stay out of close quarters combat... spec for level 6 Pull, level 4 Assassin and level 4 Fitness. You will be able to put down enemies extremely fast but DO. NOT. ENGAGE. UP. CLOSE.

- If you are just learning the Drell Adept playstyle, then spec level 6 Fitness, level 4 Pull (radius), level 4 Assassin. You have a larger room for error but note that this build is also heavily dependent on your weapon (as you won't be cleaning up the basic troops as fast).

Thanks for the advice. I've never been big on grenades, butI did put a few points into Cluster for the Drell anyway. I don't like to be that dependent on a weapon, so I imagine I'd rather go with a glass cannon type. I generally rock the Carnifex.

DY_nasty

Thanks for the advice. I've never been big on grenades, butI did put a few points into Cluster for the Drell anyway. I don't like to be that dependent on a weapon, so I imagine I'd rather go with a glass cannon type. I generally rock the Carnifex.
Grenades do outrageous damage.

Use your grenades! TRUST ME.

Ammo boxes cycle independent of your character. On Silver/Gold grenades refresh approximately at a rate of 30-45 seconds, and sometimes on Silver if an ammo box hasn't been hit in a while it can resupply you with 2 grenades at once.

Ammo box cycling is also why I suggest moving around the map.... if you can make it all the way around a map in a wave you can throw 4-5 grenades and still have at least 2 for the next wave (this is an ideal situation, but even in less than ideal situations you can throw 1-3 and have at least 2 for the next wave).

Cluster grenades are also (IMHO) the best grenades in the game. If you pick shrapnel at level 6 that means you're throwing 3 "pieces" per grenade. These move independently of each other and, with practice, you can have them cover a wide area or have all of them hit one target. Try using Reave before hitting a big target like an Atlas or Brute and clusters do MASSIVE damage.

The Drell's mobility also means that you can probably hit ammo boxes faster than your teammates (if they're grenade classes also) so you'll always have a supply.

Bisnic

I would use drell adepts more often if it wasnt for the damn sound of Reave. Why is it taking so long to release that patch Bioware. :( Dont wait to fix the ending before releasing it dammit.

I would use drell adepts more often if it wasnt for the damn sound of Reave. Why is it taking so long to release that patch Bioware. :( Dont wait to fix the ending before releasing it dammit.

I... get the annoyance, but not the severe hate it gets. Not even sure it's a bug, to be honest. Reave lasts for about 10-15 seconds or so, so the sound lasts for about 10-15 seconds after you last use it. Since it's got a short cooldown, it makes sense that you'll hear it for entire waves.

As far as others using it, it may just be me, but it does seem like it fades in and out depending on how far away the drell is.

Not the most pleasant sound in the world, but going so far as to avoid playing with (or even kicking) people who pick the class seems like a bit much. At worst just turn down the volume for the match.

DY_nasty

Yeah.. that asari vanguard

I got it down to two builds now. One for melee - its nasty, requires a disciple or a pistol with that melee attachment, a grasp of the combo system and idea of how and when buffs kick in, and a fear of god when playing gold. The other almost completely ignores Charge and essentially Spam Bubbles for headshots while lobbing lift grenades into stasified crowds surrounding boss enemies to set off fireworks.

Love em both - and thats where all my respec cards went.

I really wonder what the special pack will be for this week. Maybe a Class pack? Or enhanced Specter Pack? I'd be happy if they would bring back the special Veteran Pack, that stuff was great.

Best of all would be a weapon only pack! Oh yes bring it!

Grenades do outrageous damage.

Inferno grenades don't do that much. Cliuster grenades are god like though. And the sweet sound they made exploding. Oh and that feeling of tossing three or for grenades inside a pack of enemies and seeing that getting trash to pieces... oh my little Drell Adept...

Any Ps3 Gaffers down for some gold runs? I'm getting sick of idiots that can't play this game.

Just wait 2 to 3 hours and I'll be online. add me : sven_minoda

Kenaras

Inferno grenades don't do that much. Cliuster grenades are god like though. And the sweet sound they made exploding. Oh and that feeling of tossing three or for grenades inside a pack of enemies and seeing that getting trash to pieces... oh my little Drell Adept...

Reave -> Cluster Grenades into a large group of enemies has got to be one of the most satisfying things in the entire game. The sound effect of the Cluster Grenades going off is the icing on the cake of destruction.

Bisnic

Reave -> Cluster Grenades into a large group of enemies has got to be one of the most satisfying things in the entire game. The sound effect of the Cluster Grenades going off is the icing on the cake of destruction.

I agree that the job they did with the sound effects is pretty good. I never get tired of hearing biotic explosions.

Top Bottom