• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 on Wii U to Feature Full 1080p Resolution [Up: Port Dev: No, it's 720p]

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
People are trusting PR folks more than the actual dev team. Unreal. When I first heard this game would be 1080p and 60fps I knew it wasn't true. And no, upscaling is not the same as native res.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
its 2012.... the xbox runs it in 720p, and thats 2005 hardware, if wiiu port wasnt 1080p, there would be something horribly wrong with the wiiu

So. There must be something terribly wrong with the hardware then...

sp3000

ITT no one understands how much more GPU power is necessary to drive 1080P

Don't be silly ... we know there is very low chance of hardware upscaling specifically there to be a standard for use, atleast promoted by nintendo, there is no reason for it, if for some reason there is it's probably a dev who made it work with GPU by him self if GPU even supports it.

Hahaha. Wow

Mzo

Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U will feature an old game everyone already beat, complained about, then beat again for the new ending.

theman5141

Neo Member
Doesn't the WiiU use an ATI series 7 GPU? It should be more than enough to handle UE3 at 1080p. The CPU seems to be the weak link with the system and most UE3 games don't seem to put too much of a hurting on that aspect of the system.

The GPU reliance of the engine is likely why the PS3 struggles with UE3 games, I'd imagine.

Don't take my word for this - I'm no developer - but it seems the consensus surrounding UE3 is that it taxes the CPU side of things more than the GPU. If the Wii U CPU core clocks are indeed a bit on the slow side, and UE3 isn't really optimized for out-of-order CPUs (??), then there's no reason to believe that direct ports of PS3/360 games running on UE3 have even a fighting chance at attaining the 1080p threshold.

At best, I would expect true 720p, 60 fps, and slightly higher IQ. I actually believe the 60fps tidbit was on a "leaked" document of sorts. Probably has little to no veracity, and I'm too lazy to find it, but I certainly don't think it's completely out of the question.

Don't take my word for this - I'm no developer - but it seems the consensus surrounding UE3 is that it taxes the CPU side of things more than the GPU. If the Wii U CPU core clocks are indeed a bit on the slow side, and UE3 isn't really optimized for out-of-order CPUs (??), then there's no reason to believe that direct ports of PS3/360 games running on UE3 have even a fighting chance at attaining the 1080p threshold.

I'm no game developer either, but I think I know enough to clear up some things:
First, the code usually doesn't need to be optimized for OoOE. The performance gain comes for free. Second, rendering resolution is independent of the CPU. If a game is limited by CPU performance, an increase in resolution will not effect the framerate.

Of course it might still be true that Xenos and Cell are just as fast or even faster than the Wii U CPU. In this case, some games on Wii U might run with lower fps or reduced details. It won't effect resolution, texture quality or the like though.

Luigiv

At best, I would expect true 720p, 60 fps, and slightly higher IQ. I actually believe the 60fps tidbit was on a "leaked" document of sorts. Probably has little to no veracity, and I'm too lazy to find it, but I certainly don't think it's completely out of the question.

Unless they're doing a lot of software rendering on the CPU (I seriously doubt that) then the CPU shouldn't affect the output resolution at all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I guess I just realized something - with ME3 on the WiiU, that means that the WiiU is now capable of infinite "consumable" DLC.

Man, Fifa cards on every platform now. lol

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Unless they're doing a lot of software rendering on the CPU (I seriously doubt that) then the CPU shouldn't affect the output resolution at all.

Yep.

I think we will see 1080p games on WiiU but only simpler Mii type games.

theman5141

Neo Member
I'm no game developer either, but I think I know enough to clear up some things:
First, the code usually doesn't need to be optimized for OoOE. The performance gain comes for free. Second, rendering resolution is independent of the CPU. If a game is limited by CPU performance, an increase in resolution will not effect the framerate.

Of course it might still be true that Xenos and Cell are just as fast or even faster than the Wii U CPU. In this case, some games on Wii U might run with lower fps or reduced details. It won't effect resolution, texture quality or the like though.

I see. In that case, there must still be something of consequence we do not know about the GPU. The "leaked" spec sheet everyone seems to be accepting more or less (1GB RAM for games/apps, 0.5-1GB for OS, HD 4000 series GPU) lists the following:

"32MB high-bandwidth eDRAM, supports 720p 4x MSAA or 1080p rendering in a single pass."

If I'm reading this correctly (tell me otherwise), an eDRAM pool of that size should be able to give developers nearly "free" 1080p assuming there is no multi-sampling, the game isn't heavy on post-processing, etc. Compared to X360's 10MB, 32MB should really help with framebuffer, correct?

Seeing how games like NSMB U (very little post-processing, that much is clear - maybe some AA?) only muster 720p, is it possible that Nintendo completely skimped on the 32 eDRAM altogether or settled for a much smaller amount?

Ha ha. This thread has been really funny...
Not only that, it's also a fantastic source for evidence in to the fanatical mind. It could be really useful in a future scientific study. SO it should be marked for reference.
Shit man it makes me smile.

I know that 1080p is sooo important to people here, but it isn't the wii u's biggest problem.
Aren't most of the TV's sold now in 1080P resolution? So having a console nativly support that is an important matter in terms of IQ. SO i can see the concern here.

Perkel

Banned
It's a cheap cash-in by EA. I don't think we can take that as any indication whatsoever. We're talking about a game with no improvements that they'll sell for 60€ that you can already get for half the price. They're not even porting it themselves. What did you expect, it's EA ?

ths wasn't only about ME3.

Top Bottom