• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 on Wii U to Feature Full 1080p Resolution [Up: Port Dev: No, it's 720p]

1-D_FTW

People still belive WiiU is just on par ? Bogles the mind

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Resolution is an easy to scale thing, all the GFX effects as well. It doesn't take that much memory.

Mass effect 3 was designed with 450MB of RAM so the dev kit 1 GB available should be more than enough.

Remember Mass Effect 3 is a cheap port, it's not going to get re-done textures or anything like that.

Don't be silly ... we know there is very low chance of hardware upscaling specifically there to be a standard for use, atleast promoted by nintendo, there is no reason for it, if for some reason there is it's probably a dev who made it work with GPU by him self if GPU even supports it.

What on earth is that ?

Where do you people got these ridicolous ideas ?

Since when does "1080p support" mean "upscaled from 720p"

My god

You just better stay away from tech talk.

What told you that ?

I've followed all the speculation threads and I did my own research to make sure, it was a lot of effort though.

The only reason to go with that is with a FPS focused title such as a racer to get 60FPS at given visuals. Pretty much developer's choice, if they want more rich visuals they go 720p to get acceptable FPS. That's all.

This dude's rambling, fanatical posts are pretty funny to read after the fact. A bit frightening as well.

I came in here after the title edit. Reading his post, I kept hearing Shaq's rapping, "Kobe, tell me how my ass tastes" in my head.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Keep your expectations in check people... man Wii U threads escalate quickly...

wishful thinking makes people believe things from clearly dubious sources. i wonder if Stewox will show his face around here any time again soon.

I already have this game on 360. I was considering the WiiU version since I haven't touched the 360 one yet, but there is no point now.

Lazy port dev being lazy.

Keep your expectations in check people... man Wii U threads escalate quickly...

D8A8P.jpg

Dragon

Banned
So it's an epic failure on Nintendo's part too for making 720p games? (Mario, Pikmin, Wii Sports etc)

If the console supports 1080p, and why shouldn't it, then yes I think so.

So what 1080p PS3 launch games did Straight Right, Bioware or EA deliver?

My post was referring to Ridge Racer 7 which was a launch PS3 game at 1080p. However you change the argument to suit your point is not my concern. We're talking about a gap of 6 years of hardware and you're just letting this slide? Come on we're gaming enthusiasts, this is ridiculous!

Rapstah

I don't think the port developer knows what he's talking about. We know that all the screenshots and trailers released have been of the PS3 or 360 version (whichever runs worse), and Nintendo representatives said it would support 1080p. Unless the port developer has done personal pixel counting - and we don't even know if the Wii U supports upscaling - he's probably just assuming the worst because he's so used to 2005 hardware. We'll see what his job is in six months, if you get my point.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't think the port developer knows what he's talking about. We know that all the screenshots and trailers released have been of the PS3 or 360 version (whichever runs worse), and Nintendo representatives said it would support 1080p. Unless the port developer has done personal pixel counting - and we don't even know if the Wii U supports upscaling - he's probably just assuming the worst because he's so used to 2005 hardware. We'll see what his job is in six months, if you get my point.

Really now? Really? The developper himself doesn't know what he is talking about?

Boring Member

What does this have to do with this? If you absolutely feel the need to tag quote someone, at least make sense.

EVIL

wut.. really?

I guess idiots come in all kind of forms and shapes.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

Astrolad wannabe's are really poor at this game, 0/10.

StuBurns

Banned
What does this have to do with this? If you absolutely feel the need to tag quote someone, at least make sense.
A person made a joke post, and you took it seriously, because you are boring.

Clear enough? Maybe slow member would be more fitting.

Bisnic

A person made a joke post, and you took it seriously, because you are boring.

Clear enough? Maybe slow member would be more fitting.

With the number of blind or dumb fanboys on GAF, how am i suppose to know that someone is sarcastic?

Mxrz

This is some funny stuff. Some people are so invested in the WiiU being "superior" they'll jump on anything, and then it all backfires and bam. Crazy world.

I still can't see the point of ME3 on WiiU tho. After all the stuff people said about the PS3-ME2 reveal, I'm surprised more aren't jumping on this. Maybe ME3 drove off the vocal types.

ShdwDrake

Banned
Wii U will def be more powerful than the PS3/360 but it won't be that noticeable... what will be noticeable is the PS4/720 playing Star Wars 1313 and Nintendo fans whining about no port just like with every ps3/360 game this gen.

Pineconn

Wii U will def be more powerful than the PS3/360 but it won't be that noticeable... what will be noticeable is the PS4/720 playing Star Wars 1313 and Nintendo fans whining about no port just like with every ps3/360 game this gen.

Oh you.

If the difference between PS480 and Wii U is the difference between 1313 and ZombiU, I'm completely okay with it.

This is some funny stuff. Some people are so invested in the WiiU being "superior" they'll jump on anything, and then it all backfires and bam. Crazy world.

I still can't see the point of ME3 on WiiU tho. After all the stuff people said about the PS3-ME2 reveal, I'm surprised more aren't jumping on this. Maybe ME3 drove off the vocal types.

I played ME 2 on 360 and I'm looking forward to ME 3 on Wii U. Thanks to the comic, I'll be able to remake all the major decisions from the first two games and I like what they're doing with the Gamepad and the possibility for off-TV play. Without the comic though, I wouldn't be nearly as interested.

Bisnic

I played ME 2 on 360 and I'm looking forward to ME 3 on Wii U. Thanks to the comic, I'll be able to remake all the major decisions from the first two games and I like what they're doing with the Gamepad and the possibility for off-TV play. Without the comic though, I wouldn't be nearly as interested.

I doubt the comic will have a lot of decisions. It will be something like "Most of your squadmates died against the Collectors" or "They all survived". Nothing like "Oh Jack, Samara, Zaaed and Thane survived, but everyone else is dead."

Playing on a platform who have access to ME1 and/or ME2 will always be the better choice. How hard would it have been to include ME2 on another disc in the same package? The full 60$ price wouldn't have bother anyone if it was like this instead. Oh well...not like i care when i got the whole trilogy on PC. Paying for the same game again with worse aiming controls(nothing beats the mouse) and an additional touchscreen map isn't worth it. Then there is the whole thing about losing all my multiplayer unlocks that took me months to get.

jaz013

Banned
Well, this was to be expected. It's too early in the life of the system, the port is being handled outside the original developer, and is likely the code being ported comes from the platform with the lowest specs, for which the code was surely heavily optimized.

And not let's forget the inclusion of the additional code for the new controller. That alone must have take a looooot of developing time.... :/

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
2012 hardware can't run 1080p when a launch PS3 game can. Let's put that in perspective. This is an epic failure on the porting devs part. There's no other way around it, strawman it all you want.

Let me just say that I don't care if a game runs in 720p or 1080p and I think it's silly to get angry about it.

However, I'll respect those who blame developers a little more, I guess.... maybe.

Chaplain

The CEO of Straight Right, Tom Crago, has told NWR that, "The game will run at 720p."

But if the Wii U is set to output to only 1080p, will the Wii U upscale the image to 1080p or will the game run in 480p (like Battlefield 3 on PS3)?

Sid

877fd27f_the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

StuBurns

Banned
But if the Wii U is set to output to only 1080p, will the Wii U upscale the image to 1080p or will the game run in 480p (like Battlefield 3 on PS3)?
The PS3 doesn't do that, well, it would but you would never choose to do that. If a game doesn't support 1080i, and your TV is only 480p/1080i, then you get 480p, but I'm pretty sure TVs that accept 1080p, accept 720p too.

Chaplain

The PS3 doesn't do that, well, it would but you would never choose to do that. If a game doesn't support 1080i, and your TV is only 480p/1080i, then you get 480p, but I'm pretty sure TVs that accept 1080p, accept 720p too.

360 doesn't have this issue. It will run any game in the resolution I set the system to. PS3 is a different story. One of the tvs in my house only displays in 480i/480p, or 1080i. So, when I play Battlefield 3 it automatically runs the game in 480i/480p, because the game does not support 1080i.

I am hoping that the Wii U followed in 360's footstep by upscaling all games to whatever resolution you set in the system options screen.

StuBurns

Banned
360 doesn't have this issue. It will run any game in the resolution I set the system to. PS3 is a different story. One of the tvs in my house only displays in 480i/480p, or 1080i. So, when I play Battlefield 3 it automatically runs the game in 480i/480p, because the game does not support 1080i.

I am hoping that the Wii U followed in 360's footstep by upscaling all games to whatever resolution you set in the system options screen.
Indeed, it's a shitty situation, I was just saying it's not 1080p, it's 1080i you were most likely referring to. I'm surprised Sony never bothered to correct this actually, presumably they didn't think the customer base affected was that large, but they should have done it regardless.

Mastperf

Let me just say that I don't care if a game runs in 720p or 1080p and I think it's silly to get angry about it.

However, I'll respect those who blame developers a little more, I guess.... maybe.

True, but Nintendo needs to have a reason to get the non Nintendo crowd to buy the WiiU. Current-gen multi-plats running at 1080p would raise a few eyebrows.

thomasos

I have no doubt the developer is right on this one, but just to exonerate NP a little bit: the EA representative present during our demo told us that it would be running in 1080p. They specifically brought that up as a selling point for the Wii U version.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
True, but Nintendo needs to have a reason to get the non Nintendo crowd to buy the WiiU. Current-gen multi-plats running at 1080p would raise a few eyebrows.

The non Nintendo crowd is going to buy a new system to play the same games they can currently play on their 360/PS3? And they'll do this knowing the successors to the systems they currently own, that will carry over all of their DD purchases, and be a true generational leap are just a year away?

ss_lemonade

So its 720p, and I guess 30fps? What's going to be the difference then with the other console ports visual wise?

Please tell me you're just kidding around

Top Bottom