• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 on Wii U to Feature Full 1080p Resolution [Up: Port Dev: No, it's 720p]

Replicant

Quick question,

I'm picking this up for Wii U and I've already finished Mass Effects 1 and 2. Does the save file from 2 have a major impact on gameplay/story in 3? I've been hearing that it has very little impact, but I was curious. Thanks.

You've been hearing wrong. At least 1 major character will be impacted heavily from the choices the game assumes you didn't make if you don't have the save file from 2. A major plotline may be harder to steer to the conclusion you want to without save file from 2. Several peripheral characters from 1 and 2 may not have the ending you wish to see without save file from 1 and 2.

I don't know about this supposed comic for ME2 but if it turns out to be the same limited option at the start of ME3 if you play without importing, well then you're screwed.

TheChaos

Thank you guys for the answers, I'm still considering it, I'll see if they add all the extra stuff (From Ashes, Leviathan, etc.) because this stuff would make the game worth the full price
Don't bother expecting those to come with the main game, I guarantee they will not be included. Like another poster said, it's EA.

I thought we were well past the point of people not knowing the difference between 1080P mode and actually running Full HD native resolution, guess not. All console versions of this game "Support" 1080P.

If you think a quicky EA port is going to be the game to be the big technical showcase for the system launch be prepared for disappointment.

The only thing keeping me from completely discrediting this is this part:

HEY HEY HEY dont bring logic and what was stated into this. Dont rob these people of the great joy they get out of pretending they know something is of lesser quality than is being stated. They wait all day in these threads for someone to say something good about something so that they can, with limited understanding of the technical aspects of computer gaming, declare such brilliant posts as "lol" and "i highly doubt it" and "theres no way it possibly could".

Dont take from these people what little they have.

hodgy100

Why should that be the case? There's simply no difference.
The only things which make low resolution textures more prominent are screen size and viewing distance.

no one knew dark souls had such good textures until Durante's high Resolution patch.

surely this shows that you can see more detail in the textures at a higher resolution, and it would be correct to assume that bad textures would also be more glaringly bad at a higher resolution too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
a gig of dedicated memory. i can see 1080p being doable :)

Eh. Mass Effect 3 with SGSSAA at 1080p on my PC chews up ~800MB of VRAM, and that's not counting system RAM. The issue is that rendering at 1080p over 720p is quite expensive and resource intensive, especially for a 3D game. Most people probably aren't inclined to believe a ported Unreal Engine 3 game originally built for other systems will also be the first 1080p native 3D game, right at launch, alongside Nintendo's own hardware specific 720p games.

Toki Tori and Super Scribblenauts are 1080p native. If Mass Effect 3 is, it will be the first 3D 1080p game on the system, at launch, and contradict official direct feed media released so far.

I'm chalking this up as an error, probably a misunderstanding of "supports 1080p", in other words upscaling.

TheD

The Detective
I would not trust this at all.
It is coming from an Nintendo fanboy site and is 100% unconfirmed.

Stewox

Banned
People still belive WiiU is just on par ? Bogles the mind

there's also the ram issue. 1080p assets are gonna have a real hard time squeezing into a gig of shared memory.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Resolution is an easy to scale thing, all the GFX effects as well. It doesn't take that much memory.

Mass effect 3 was designed with 450MB of RAM so the dev kit 1 GB available should be more than enough.

Remember Mass Effect 3 is a cheap port, it's not going to get re-done textures or anything like that.

Eh. Mass Effect 3 with SGSSAA at 1080p on my PC chews up ~800MB of VRAM, and that's not counting system RAM. The issue is that rendering at 1080p over 720p is quite expensive and resource intensive, especially for a 3D game. Most people probably aren't inclined to believe a ported Unreal Engine 3 game originally built for other systems will also be the first 1080p native 3D game, right at launch, alongside Nintendo's own hardware specific 720p games.

Toki Tori and Super Scribblenauts are 1080p native. If Mass Effect 3 is, it will be the first 3D 1080p game on the system, at launch, and contradict official direct feed media released so far.

I'm chalking this up as an error, probably a misunderstanding of "supports 1080p", in other words upscaling.

Don't be silly ... we know there is very low chance of hardware upscaling specifically there to be a standard for use, atleast promoted by nintendo, there is no reason for it, if for some reason there is it's probably a dev who made it work with GPU by him self if GPU even supports it.

Probably a 720p framebuffer with 1080p UI.

What on earth is that ?

Doubtful, probably misinterpretting 1080p support being 1080p native.

Where do you people got these ridicolous ideas ?

Since when does "1080p support" mean "upscaled from 720p"

Textures still 480p.

My god

You just better stay away from tech talk.

Great news. I wholly expected 720p to be a WiiU standard.

What told you that ?

I've followed all the speculation threads and I did my own research to make sure, it was a lot of effort though.

The only reason to go with that is with a FPS focused title such as a racer to get 60FPS at given visuals. Pretty much developer's choice, if they want more rich visuals they go 720p to get acceptable FPS. That's all.

If you believe a rumor from a fansite with nothing to back it up......
I've got a bridge to sell you.

Listen, even if you have a bridge i doubt its a real bridge. That would be impossible. And even if it was possible the bridge would still suck because i havent gone over the first two bridges in the series and i dont know where they are leading by starting with the third one.

And even if i have gone over the first two bridges i heard the ending of your bridge sucks and had to be patched in due to complaints at the last minute. So no matter how good the news of your bridge is, there is probably SOMETHING wrong with it i can find to complain about.

Rapstah

Can some kind of reverse pixel counting be done on the current 720 screenshots to find out if they're downsampled from 1080 frames?

Where do you people got these ridicolous ideas ?

Since when does "1080p support" mean "upscaled from 720p"
Since the entire lifespan of the PS3 and 360? All my 360 game boxes say "1080p" on the back. I don't have any PS3 boxes to check but I'm pretty sure they all do too.

Stewox

Banned
Can some kind of reverse pixel counting be done on the current 720 screenshots to find out if they're downsampled from 1080 frames?

You do realize that all the footage is totally not from WiiU it self since the console is not out yet and all the NDAs.

Since the entire lifespan of the PS3 and 360? All my 360 game boxes say "1080p" on the back. I don't have any PS3 boxes to check but I'm pretty sure they all do too.

Well, I couldn't know where you people get these wilds assumptions, because I don't have X360 or PS3.

Nintendo is not Microsoft. They don't do such shit like that to deceive consumers on such a level.

Jacobi

Banned
If it really is a good port, this would be a reason to buy the console. Haven't played it yet.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Resolution is an easy to scale thing, all the GFX effects as well. It doesn't take that much memory.

Mass effect 3 was designed with 450MB of RAM so the dev kit 1 GB available should be more than enough.

Remember Mass Effect 3 is a cheap port, it's not going to get re-done textures or anything like that.
eh... But there are higher-res textures on PC

Stewox

Banned
There was already reported that Assasins Creed 3 and Batman will have 1080p; So I have no idea what's with the problem with everyone about Mass Effect 3.

It's like this all doubt-ill information makes me confused for no reason and I definitely want to avoid that.

Can't you people get it already, it's not on par, it's a lot better console, these ports aren't even topping out the half of available RAM. Stop doubting this what was established in 2011, we've all seen the Zelda demo, and that was just an early prototype.

StuBurns

Banned
There was already reported that Assasins Creed 3 and Batman will have 1080p; So I have no idea what's with the problem with everyone about Mass Effect 3.

It's like this all doubt-ill information makes me confused for no reason and I definitely want to avoid that.

Can't you people get it already, it's not on par, it's a lot better console, these ports aren't even topping out the half of available RAM. Stop doubting this what was established in 2011, we've all seen the Zelda demo, and that was just an early prototype.
You're starting to sound like a crazed fanatic.

Long crazy post

So basically you don't know that Mass effect 3 uses low res textures for the most part, or what a frame buffer is, but you tell someone else to "stay away from the tech talk" like a smug jerk? Smooth.

Also, the screenshots released from this version of the game have been in the resolution consistant with 720p. Hardware/Software upscaling to higher resolutions has existed on PS3 and 360 for the last 7 years and many many games have used it to disguise the true resolution that the game runs at. In other words, just because the little box at the top of the screen next to your input says "1080p" or "720p", does not mean either of these are running natively.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Don't be silly ... we know there is very low chance of hardware upscaling specifically there to be a standard for use, atleast promoted by nintendo, there is no reason for it, if for some reason there is it's probably a dev who made it work with GPU by him self if GPU even supports it.

I don't see how arguing that they've mistaken upscaling and/or marketed hardware 'support' for 1080p scaling for 1080p native is in any way 'silly'.

All direct feed media shown of the game so far has been specifically 720p. There has been no official confirmation of native 1080p from EA, BioWare or the team porting it. It's a goddamn UE3 game, and a port. It's perfectly reasonable to be sceptical that second hand information from Nintendo Power is accurate.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't see how arguing that they've mistaken upscaling and/or marketed hardware 'support' for 1080p scaling for 1080p native is in any way 'silly'.

All direct feed media shown of the game so far has been specifically 720p. There has been no official confirmation of native 1080p from EA, BioWare or the team porting it. It's a goddamn UE3 game, and a port. It's perfectly reasonable to be sceptical that second hand information from Nintendo Power is accurate.
You don't get it man, those screenshots are from the other consoles, no one has even touched a WiiU yet. It's 4K actually, they just don't like to brag.

Stewox

Banned

If they can't make it native than that's a big lazy port.

I was more directing that on the results of should be when it's done right, not MS3 it self as a cheap port.

I was more specifically replying that to the people who mixed WiiU hardware it self in this argument.

The 3D part is 720p, the 2D part 1080p.

That's practically useless. If the 2D is 1080p then it doesn't fit to the size, it has to get shrinked down.

EatChildren

If they can't make it native than that's a big lazy port.

Nintendo's own in-house developed engines and titles are running at 720p. The only games running at 1080p are Toki Tori and Scribblenauts Unlimited, two simplistic 2D games. It's no more a lazy port than every other 3D title, port or otherwise, avoiding 1080p for whatever reasons.

*secondary source

*fansite

*paraphrased

*no confirmation

*unproven developer track record

*no other wiiu release to be rendered at 1080p for its launch

so, what's the over/under on this being another "will support resolutions up to 1080p" moment?

i'm not gonna shit on it just yet, since the only thing the touchpad is rendering is a 2D ui and that little bit of extra gpu bite has gotta go somewhere, but tread carefully.

Rayman, Scribblenauts, Toki Tori 2

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Even those who liked the game, would they buy it again for Wii U?

Not at a full price anyway. Losing all my multiplayer unlocks and not having access to ALL decisions of ME1 and ME2 is not going to make it worth it. You can bet those comics will not allow you to choose everything that could have an impact in ME3.

Sid

You don't get it man, those screenshots are from the other consoles, no one has even touched a WiiU yet. It's 4K actually, they just don't like to brag.
Hidden power of the wiiu,takes time to unlock da full powa of dat beast but seriously if the screenshots are native 720p and only simplistic 2d games are running @ native 1080p then i have my doubts regarding me3 being a native '1080p' title

Durante

"If the GPU even supports scaling"? Do you know what you are saying?

What on earth is that ?
So, no.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if it rendered at 1080p, no AA. It's really not a very demanding game at all, and the GPU is rumoured to be at least twice as powerful as the PS360 ones.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
thread got ugly fast...but we shall not be surprised...

good if true. Too bad ME3 was a sore disappointemnt for me. I would have bought a trilogy package in a heartbeat

no one knew dark souls had such good textures until Durante's high Resolution patch.

Of course. If the texture resolution is high enough for the current scene, you will get to see more details in a higher resolution.
Talking about low res textures though, they obviously won't lose detail when displayed in a higher resolution.

A comparison: First screenshot is showing ME3 rendered at 1920x1080, probably how it would look like on Wii U if the 1080p claims prove to be true. Second is rendered at 1280x720, then upcscaled to 1920x1080.

As you can see, there is no perceived difference in sharpness when it comes to the low res textures. The low texture resolution doesn't get more noticeable.

Durante

Yeah, what people always seem to miss when they say that low-res textures will look worse at higher resolutions is that even though the resolution is higher, the display will still be the same size. (That's also why screenshot-based IQ comparisons only make sense when scaled to the same size)

Of course. If the texture resolution is high enough for the current scene, you will get to see more details in a higher resolution.
Talking about low res textures though, they obviously won't lose detail when displayed in a higher resolution.

A comparison: First screenshot is showing ME3 rendered at 1920x1080, probably how it would look like on Wii U if the 1080p claims prove to be true. Second is rendered at 1280x720, then upcscaled to 1920x1080.

As you can see, there is no perceived difference in sharpness when it comes to the low res textures. The low texture resolution doesn't get more noticeable.

Only difference I can detect there is the texture on the alien's forehead, everything else look exactly the same.

Taiser

3uX70.jpg

Jacobi

Banned
Only difference I can detect there is the texture on the alien's forehead, everything else look exactly the same.

Scaling isn't magic. Native 1080p has double the resolution, that's just that. And if you compare the screens downscaled to 720p it of course looks the same.

1-UP

Banned
Just like Mulder, I want to believe... but they probably misinterpreted 1080p support for 1080p native. :/

Conor 419

Banned
I own Arkham City and ME3, but due to time I haven't actually played them yet. I'd wait and play them on Wii U, but I don't want to spend the cash or lose my previous saves.

Top Bottom