• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Sober

Duude. Zaeed is one of my most favourite characters in ME2, so sad the is underdeveloped. Well, we can't agree on everything :)
I think the most hilarious thing about Zaeed is someone made him solo hold the line (iirc) or had him pull Shepard up at the end of the suicide run, and then proceeded to kill him in his loyalty mission.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I found the premise for Jack's character extremely interesting, but they never really fleshed it out at all. She ended up being angry and bitter all the time and you never really got the whole "badass biotic god" feeling from her that she supposedly was.

Vire

Neat to see how everyone's favorite characters are all different.

I think we can all agree Mordin is the best thing to ever happen to the ME series though. :p

Here's my list in no particular order.

Excellent:
Mordin
Legion
Garrus
Wrex
Miranda

Good:
Thane
Grunt
Tali
Liara
Kasumi

Average:
Samara
Zaeed
Ashley/Kaiden

Bad:

Jack
Jacob

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Everything is fine so long as you hate Jack.

Is BioWare
forgetting ME2 ever existed? lol.

Not really.
Its just an impossibly difficult situation to develop for. Theres already an enormous amount of content in the game that many players will never even see since Tali, Garrus, Ashley and Kaiden can all be dead. Now imagine if they tried to keep more of the ME2 squadmates. Thats an impossibly large amount of content that many players would never see. I wish it were different but its an incredibly difficult situation to plan for. Plus every single member from ME2 is confirmed to make an appearance in the game in some form, I wouldnt be surprised if a few were temp squadmates for specific missions or sidequests. So its not like theyve been completely erased from existence altogether.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Ah! Cannot unsee!

"Come on out to the Mass Effect 3 thread. We'll get a drink, have a few laughs..."

sp3000

Not really.
Its just an impossibly difficult situation to develop for. Theres already an enormous amount of content in the game that many players will never even see since Tali, Garrus, Ashley and Kaiden can all be dead. Now imagine if they tried to keep more of the ME2 squadmates. Thats an impossibly large amount of content that many players would never see. I wish it were different but its an incredibly difficult situation to plan for. Plus every single member from ME2 is confirmed to make an appearance in the game in some form, I wouldnt be surprised if a few were temp squadmates for specific missions or sidequests. So its not like theyve been completely erased from existence altogether.

So pretty much when they were making ME2, they had no idea what they were doing with the whole suicide mission, like they never stopped to consider that it might make developing the next game really hard

Why is everyone who hasn't played the game yet declaring total downplaying of ME2?

If you were shit at the game and killed everyone, no they're not going to spend a lot of time developing an entire alternate game for you.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So pretty much when they were making ME2, they had no idea what they were doing with the whole suicide mission, like they never stopped to consider that it might make developing the next game really hard

Probably not, wont know for sure till we actually play ME3 and see if it fails or not at continuing those stories and building upon and resolving the threads started in both games. Its easy to say they fucked up and are making shit up as they go along, but we're missing a third of the series. Theres still so much that can happen.

Do alternate outfits count as spoilers? I don't think I quite draw the line with showing the alternative outfits one gets with DLC - that should be shown, if nothing else, to give the content another selling point.

Probably not, wont know for sure till we actually play ME3 and see if it fails or not at continuing those stories and building upon and resolving the threads started in both games. Its easy to say they fucked up and are making shit up as they go along, but we're missing a third of the series. Theres still so much that can happen.

Yea I will hold all my bitching for the inevitable story thread which I assume will be full of similar bitching.

GSR

Do alternate outfits count as spoilers? I don't think I quite draw the line with showing the alternative outfits one gets with DLC - that should be shown, if nothing else, to give the content another selling point.

True, but it does show off most of the permanent party, which some people still don't know. Though it doesn't show off the two really spoilery squadmates.

Also laughing at Ashley/Vega getting Leng's squintvisor.

Is it true that ME3 has a combat-free way to play the game?

If so, what can you guys tell me about it?

It's not combat free.

The game has three modes; Story, RPG, and Action.

Story is the full RPG experience, with combat scaled down in difficulty, so if you just want to view the narrative parts, you won't have such a hard time with the fighting.

RPG is classic ME and Action is the reverse of story; desicions are made for you.

Vire

Is it true that ME3 has a combat-free way to play the game?

If so, what can you guys tell me about it?

Not combat free, but very very forgiving difficulty where you can breeze through the combat to get to the story sections.

It's called Story mode.

bengraven

Did people really hate Jack that much?

I loved her character. Then again I remember being about the only one here who supported her in her first reveals. She's fucking great...

Grisby

Only Jack was dead from my ME2 save. Someone had to die, it was a risky mission, it's war, sacrifices must be made...!

Also, Dr. Chakras is alive as every single crew member. Aw yeah. Dr. Chakwas!

JCcVOl.jpg
All my background crew is dead cept her.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Did people really hate Jack that much?

I loved her character. Then again I remember being about the only one here who supported her in her first reveals. She's fucking great...

Agreed. She was without a doubt the hardest character to fully interact with. It was easy to get her to shut you out, but she was interesting and a great character with a lot of potential. I am interested to see how she has progressed and matured in the few months since ME2.

exYle

It shows Liara, Garrus, Tali, Ashley, Kaidan, and Vega. The ME1 crew is back!
Basically, no one we haven't seen before.

bengraven

It really sucks that ME2 had a superior team and yet the ME1 team is back and taking center stage. Fuck Ashley and Liara. No, really, fuck them, they were both really bland characters...I thought Bioware was starting to lose their flair for making great characters, but then ME2 and DA:O came out.

Agreed. She was without a doubt the hardest character to fully interact with. It was easy to get her to shut you out, but she was interesting and a great character with a lot of potential. I am interested to see how she has progressed and matured in the few months since ME2.

For me, I like bad girls. Not like Suicide Girls that play being bad, but a seriously hardcore chick who's SEEN THINGS, MAN. My Shep cheated on Liara with her pretty fast. But as you said, keeping her happy meant having to really analyze what you were going to say, but we made it out in the end.

I almost regretted choosing her in the end because of all the datass.jpgs of Miranda, but I persevered. haha

moop1167

Wait so how is .ini tweaking going to work in this one? Is it like ME2 with that coalesced or whatever file that you needed a special editor for? It wasn't a problem once they released that program for it.

Won't this pose a problem if the same file is used for multiplayer?

It shows Liara, Garrus, Tali, Ashley, Kaidan, and Vega. The ME1 crew is back!
Basically, no one we haven't seen before.

Fuck. Vega is such a wasted spot. There is going to be 0 time to develop a well rounded character when the galaxy is caving in. I'm spacing the tosser as soon as I get the opportunity.

GSR

It really sucks that ME2 had a superior team and yet the ME1 team is back and taking center stage. Fuck Ashley and Liara. No, really, fuck them, they were both really bland characters...I thought Bioware was starting to lose their flair for making great characters, but then ME2 and DA:O came out.

I don't mind Ashley/Kaidan that much, but I've never really been a fan of Liara - I would have rather had Jack as the team biotic.

With that in mind, it's immensely satisfying to me that (DLC character spoilers)
apparently the Prothean can't stand her

bengraven

So those are the only PERMANENT team members? The rest are going to just get cameo appearances or temp status ala Liara in ME2? That is...not helping me get excited about this.

I don't mind Ashley/Kaidan that much, but I've never really been a fan of Liara - I would have rather had Jack as the team biotic.

With that in mind, it's immensely satisfying to me that (DLC character spoilers)
apparently the Prothean can't stand her

Well other than Wrex, Tali, and Garrus, the rest of the characters, squad mates or not, were really bland and uninteresting and I found their backstories really uninteresting. Which is why I dote on ME2 so much: i felt like every character in your squad had a really great back story with the exception of Samara or Jacob, who I thought brought back that blandness.

Your spoiler makes me happy, especially when I'm trying to explain to her why I left her and then siding with SPOILER will be like the part of the "dear John" letter where I say "you were horrible in bed".

GSR

So those are the only PERMANENT team members? The rest are going to just get cameo appearances or temp status ala Liara in ME2? That is...not helping me get excited about this.

There are two others not shown there, the DLC character and
EDI in a robot body.

Top Bottom