• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Thread: Fixing Bioware's broke-ass console port, now with holstering

Nabs

Stupid question - how do I use this D3D program exactly? I downloaded the rar file, put the folder in Program Files... the Application doesn't open though?

Close your browser and try again. It should appear in your Taskbar.

USIGSJ

Ehm, the Coalesced editing has existed since the demo and the OP even mentioned how FOV and flycam works.

My bad then, missed the part about being able to change them since the demo. Though besides console commands I was interested to access [systemsettings] group directly through Coalesced file because with GamerSettings.ini I'm not sure which one work and which one not. Tried making some obvious changes like setting light shafts and flares to false in it and they were still on in game. Just wanted to make sure the that the new values are accepted.

Hylian7

I'm using RadeonPro like in the OP, and on the title screen now it shows this:

ibdardE5tugFxt.png

1. Does this game only really support DX9? I thought surely it would support DX10 at least.....
2. Why is this logo there? It's only there on the title screen.

I'm using RadeonPro like in the OP, and on the title screen now it shows this:

1. Does this game only really support DX9? I thought surely it would support DX10 at least.....
2. Why is this logo there? It's only there on the title screen.

Yes, it's DX9. And that logo only appears to show you which API (DX9, 10, 11) the game is using. You can turn it off in RadeonPro.

Sectus

Maybe try disabling the in game vsync and use d3d. I think bp mentioned it in this thread, but he was suggesting to do it in the ini files iirc.

I don't even see a way to turn off vsync for the game.

Anyway, I did some more tests and it seems my primary issue is actually related to the mouse. If I move around using WASD only, I only get a tiny bit of stuttering now and then (which is probably data being streamed), but if I move the mouse too I get a lot of stuttering.

Turns out it was related to the origin game thing. Once I turned that off, the mouse stuttering disappeared.

I don't even see a way to turn off vsync for the game.

Anyway, I did some more tests and it seems my primary issue is actually related to the mouse. If I move around using WASD only, I only get a tiny bit of stuttering now and then (which is probably data being streamed), but if I move the mouse too I get a lot of stuttering.

Turns out it was related to the origin game thing. Once I turned that off, the mouse stuttering disappeared.

When you say the Origin game thing, what do you mean? I get stuttering just like this too and I've booted up ME2 again where the problem does not exist. Do you mean disabling Origin in-game?

It's really frustrating.

Hylian7

I'm trying out multiplayer for the first time. Why the fuck is there no keyboard chat? I have a mic and everything, just still, I would think keyboard would be included.....

Also, I can't imagine playing multiplayer without a keyboard.

Sectus

When you say the Origin game thing, what do you mean? I get stuttering just like this too and I've booted up ME2 again where the problem does not exist. Do you mean disabling Origin in-game?

It's really frustrating.

Yeah, the ingame overlay. Turning that off solved the problem immediately. I wish I knew about it earlier, I endured several hours with the annoying stuttering.

So what does this do exactly? Does it swap the FOV back to default in cutscenes?

Final version of the FIX IS NOW OUT
Features included:
- Proper scaling of menus
- Centered HUD
- Workbench fully functional
- Main Menu correctly scaled and working
- Adjustable FOV for Single Player - if you change the fov while ingame, reload the savegame.
- Disabled FOV for MultiPlayer to avoid BAN
- FOV is adaptive. No need to toggle. Cinematics are working properly.
- Recommended value for fov 85-90 - You can increase up to 120.
- SUPPORTS ONLY ORIGIN VERSION!!! IF YOU HAVE ANOTHER EXE it will NOT work. Don't bother reporting here, nor asking me to support hcrachked EXES
Not Fixed:
- Character Scaling in Menus.
- Probably it will not work with Eyefinity. Needs to be seen.
ACTIVATE THE FIX DURING INTRO CINEMATIC, NOT SOONER, DO NOT RUSH WITH THE ACTIVATION!!!
I really enjoyed fixing this game. Now is time to enjoy the game in GLORIOUS Surround. I hope you will like it
See pics bellow:
Best Regards,
Helifax

That's the explanation. Looks like the best FOV fix because it doesn't mess with cinematics!

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
If you have a >60Hz monitor don't forget to add the following line in your GamerSettings.ini under [SystemSettings]

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=122

I run a 120Hz monitor and could very quickly tell that the ~60 FPS cap had been raised. Also you can do a borderless window (fake fullscreen) through the config tool, which I feel works better a lot of the time.

Hylian7

Despite the update, the FOV fix STILL doesn't completely work for me. I am hitting the shortcut key during the BioWare logo, but I still get screwed up menus like this. Any idea what (if) I'm doing anything wrong?

milesdm

FYI if you use the new FOV utility you can't launch the game with the Steam overlay.

Huh. It's working for me.

Despite the update, the FOV fix STILL doesn't completely work for me. I am hitting the shortcut key during the BioWare logo, but I still get screwed up menus like this. Any idea what (if) I'm doing anything wrong?

Had this from it auto-detecting my resolution with multiple monitors. Just untick the box and set it yourself.

Hylian7

Huh. It's working for me.

Had this from it auto-detecting my resolution with multiple monitors. Just untick the box and set it yourself.

That's gotta be it then, I'm using 2 monitors and had auto-detect on. I will try that.

Edit: So if I have 2 1440x900 monitors, then it would be something like this, right?

Display Count: 2
Uncorrected Resolution: 2880 x 900
Bezel-Corrected Resolution: 1440 x 900

milesdm

That's gotta be it then, I'm using 2 monitors and had auto-detect on. I will try that.

Edit: So if I have 2 1440x900 monitors, then it would be something like this, right?

Display Count: 2
Uncorrected Resolution: 2880 x 900
Bezel-Corrected Resolution: 1440 x 900

I had no idea what I was doing, but I set both as the native resolution for the monitor displaying the game. Seemed to work.

Anyone know why my ME2 save won't show up into the import menu in game? I know I've cleared it and dont some of the DLC. The files are in the right folder but the import tool always shows up blank.

- J - D -

Does this new FOV fix do anything other than automatically change fov for cutscenes? The older fov fix in the op was working pretty well for me, can I just stick with it?

Thanks for the effort, regardless.

- J - D -

This new FOV fix doesn't do anything to the combat fov. The fov in non-combat sections is fixed, but it reverts to fov 70 when I've got weapons out.

Going to switch back to the older one for now. I did like that the new fix automatically adjusted to cutscenes though.

mileS

This new FOV fix doesn't do anything to the combat fov. The fov in non-combat sections is fixed, but it reverts to fov 70 when I've got weapons out.

Going to switch back to the older one for now. I did like that the new fix automatically adjusted to cutscenes though.

wow really? ugh... considering you can't holster your weapons. BLAH

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
In the previous game you could press H (or whatever key you assign), and your weapons would be put away. It's a typical thing in most games, I would imagine, yet not for ME3.

I don't understand. You are not able to put your weapons away after the combat is over?

subversus

wat

but... how do I explore the area after the combat is over? Can I holster the weapon when I approach to characters?

this sounds... ridiculous and unreal.

Everyone with a ATI card should have RadeonPro installed.

Simply select the game executable, and you can enable a myriad of features with a few clicks. It also gives you a fully customizable FPS counter and a dedicated screenshot button.

I have the game running maxed with 4x MSAA supersampled, at solid 60FPS, and it looks gorgeous.

RadeonPro

just downloaded and it can't find ME3. weird.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
wat

but... how do I explore the area after the combat is over? Can I holster the weapon when I approach to characters?

this sounds... ridiculous and unreal.
You can explore, but you can't put your gun away. Maybe they'll make a patch. Fat chance?

Hopefully someone will make a mod* similar to that for ME2, though I hear that the game's files are encrypted, right?

*Mod: http://social.bioware.com/project/2825/#gallery

subversus

You can explore, but you can't put your gun away. Maybe they'll make a patch. Fat chance?

Hopefully someone will make a mod* similar to that for ME2, though I hear that the game's files are encrypted, right?

*Mod: http://social.bioware.com/project/2825/#gallery

Game's files will be decripted (if they are not already) very soon. If they mod holster animations in it would be great.

I think I'll wait for patches and mods.

suikodan

I booted up ME2 and it seems to give me a missing DLC error. I changed HDD since last year so maybe that has somethingto do with it?

What I would suggest is to create a ME3 save and then check in which folder it was saved. It should be like <my documents>\Bioware\Mass Effect 3. If your ME2 files are there as well, it should look like this.

<my documents>\
Bioware\
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3

If that's the case, then ME3 should find your ME2 save.

Good luck

Madrical

Banned
As a PC gamer playing ME3 on 360 because of my saves, this thread is STILL making me jealous with these screenshots. Soooo clean!

Sectus

As a PC gamer playing ME3 on 360 because of my saves, this thread is STILL making me jealous with these screenshots. Soooo clean!

Maybe a bit late to say this since you've already started playing the game, but it is possible to convert 360 ME2 saves to the PC. That's how I'm playing the game right now.

There's some info here:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/2277020/1
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/5573902

Note that some savegames will make the utility crash (both utilities are based on the same codebase, even though they are used very differently, so it shouldn't matter which one you use), so you'll probably have to make a few extra saves to find which one the utility is willing to load. I found autosaves when loading new areas to be the most reliable.

And yes, PC version does look super nice. And now as I've fixed my stuttering issue, I'm able to play the game at a flawless 60fps too.

elfinke

Thanks for the FOV fix to all responsible - it is a thing of beauty!

Conversely, however, is the AA. In game AA (ie, Mass Effect's own AA) works 'fine', however I can't get RadeonPro to work. I have disabled the in game AA, and set a profile in RadeonPro that reflects the screenshot from the first page to no avail - it's a jaggy mess. Doesn't matter if I launch Mass Effect independently or via RadeonPro.

Which crucial piece of info am I missing?

The jaggies would probably be bearable if the textures weren't such an eyesore. Ah well, first things first!

Top Bottom