• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 PC Thread: Fixing Bioware's broke-ass console port, now with holstering

scitek

Thanks for the FOV fix to all responsible - it is a thing of beauty!

Conversely, however, is the AA. In game AA (ie, Mass Effect's own AA) works 'fine', however I can't get RadeonPro to work. I have disabled the in game AA, and set a profile in RadeonPro that reflects the screenshot from the first page to no avail - it's a jaggy mess. Doesn't matter if I launch Mass Effect independently or via RadeonPro.

Which crucial piece of info am I missing?

The jaggies would probably be bearable if the textures weren't such an eyesore. Ah well, first things first!

I only have ME2, but I can't imagine it's any different. Make sure it looks like this, and you have the drop-down option changed to Override Application Settings and not Use Application Settings.

aanyy4y.jpg

Also, anyone using SSAA, aka super-sampling, if it's blurry at all, try adjusting the Texture LOD bias under the Advanced tab.

lodqyawv.jpg

I think it's generally -0.5 for each 2x you have selected.
2x = -0.5
4x = -1.0
8x = -1.5

AMD drivers are supposed to adjust it automatically, but I don't trust them.

Yeah, the ingame overlay. Turning that off solved the problem immediately. I wish I knew about it earlier, I endured several hours with the annoying stuttering.

Thanks, this helped for me too.

I saw it on the BioWare forums just before coming here...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The more recent versions of the FOV fix are god-tier.

PC version doesn't support gamepad right?

So there's no perfect way to play this game.

I beat the game the other day and I realized that the combat pacing feels like it's on crack so I guess this is one third person shooter that benefits from the mouse and keyboard. And it really does feel amazing on it.

Also having 8 hotkeys still wasn't enough for all the powers I had plus my squadmates so I can't even imagine only having two buttons for powers on a controller.

Dennis

Banned
The major issues that Bioware mishandled:

1) FOV - too low and not adjustable. Status: fixed by mod

2) AA - only FXAA available in options. Status: fixed by enabling MSAA and SGSSAA as override

3) No gun holstering. Status: unresolved

4) No Xbox 360 controller support. Status: unresolved

Not too bad, Bioware except the lack of 360 controller support which is beyond ridiculous. And come on, you can't put in gun holstering?

The IQ is out of this world as soon as you get the MSAA + SGSSAA supercombo working.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Not too bad, Bioware except the lack of 360 controller support which is beyond ridiculous. And come on, you can't put in gun holstering?

yes, they can't, because it doesn't fit into console's RAM according to the post of the developer.

but they certainly can (and should) patch it on PC if it is not QA-heavy.

ASilva

Neo Member

2) AA - only FXAA available in options. Status: fixed by enabling MSAA and SGSSAA as override

5) Horrible textures.

Seriously, I'm not one to complain much about low rez textures but the "cinematic" custcenes and conversations look horrible. They could at least made high resolution textures for the character clothing.

haikira

Question about Nvidia Inspector. For Antialiasing Compatibility, it's recommended that it's set to 0x000000C1. But that's not to be found in my list. Since that's not in the list, do I just add that manually by typing it in?

Gav47

Question about Nvidia Inspector. For Antialiasing Compatibility, it's recommended that it's set to 0x000000C1. But that's not to be found in my list. Since that's not in the list, do I just add that manually by typing it in?

That's what I did and seems to work.

dr_rus

I can't find Mass Effect III in my nvidia inspector profile list :/
Update your drivers.

Yes. Also that bit will give you SSAA which is a perfomance hog. You may try ME2's bit for MSAA instead.

thuway

The game keeps crashing whenever I apply the widescreen fix. Any help GAF? GTX 460m Core i7 Laptop Qosmio here...

moop1167

That bit is only for forcing SGSSAA. But yes you have to manully add it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The IQ is out of this world as soon as you get the MSAA + SGSSAA supercombo working.

Don't forget the ME1->ME2->ME3 face import issue. :/

Max

I am not Max
Never used Inspector before, so I downloaded it, added the .exe to the profile I created, and set it up just like the thread screenshot. And no dice.

Did I miss a step?

Never used Inspector before, so I downloaded it, added the .exe to the profile I created, and set it up just like the thread screenshot. And no dice.

Did I miss a step?

Did you add the right exe? Did you put the compatibility bit in the right field? did you turn on 'override application settings'?

Max

I am not Max
Did you add the right exe? Did you put the compatibility bit in the right field? did you turn on 'override application settings'?

Added MassEffect3.exe from Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32

Pasted 0x000000C1 into the AA compatibility field

and yes override is on

edit: and the widescreen fixer crashes my game right after the intro.
I wasn't meant to be happy with this game

hlhbk

1. ME is not the only major release to not have a FOV FIX in recent years. Some would argue that the 70 FOV is how they want their game to be experienced, hence no way to change it.

2. Totally agree on the AA.

3. Hun holstering is barely noticeable and is not needed.

4. Obviously this is just my opinion but again this could be how they want the PC version to be played. Controller supprt wasn't in the first 2 on PC, so why would you expect it to be in the 3rd?

I saw somebody add 5. bad textures. The textures at 1920x1200 with the AA listed in this thread are great.

Overall ME 3 on pc is the best way to play the game both from a visual and performance standpoint. Overall ME3 is a great game, and one of the best in storytelling in years. Thanks Bioware for making up for Dragon Age II!

Jtrizzy

Arg. So how do you add a game to inspector if isn't there? I don't see an add game button or anything. There is no profile for NBA 2k12 for some reason. thanks.

Gambit61

The game keeps crashing whenever I apply the widescreen fix. Any help GAF? GTX 460m Core i7 Laptop Qosmio here...

I have the same problem and I'm on a desktop. The Coalesced mod works but I'd rather have the FOV automatically change for me.

elfinke

Thanks for this, man. I was bashing my head against the wall trying to get all sorts of AA to work. I'm on a 570gtx, playing on 1680x1050 and created a custom 1680x1048 resolution from the nvidia drivers. Now x4 SGSSAA works perfectly :D

Oh shi... That'll fix my issue for sure! Superior 16x10 gaming redeemed!

I kid, I kid. Still, looking forward to finishing at work and trying this out.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It works best because his textures are actually nice, while the custom characters have the lower-resolution, common-folk (NPC) textures. However, I still like customization.

High res texture mods fix all that anyway, so it doesn't really matter in the end!

5) Horrible textures.

Seriously, I'm not one to complain much about low rez textures but the "cinematic" custcenes and conversations look horrible. They could at least made high resolution textures for the character clothing.

Hi res textures will be included at release at no extra cost and no extra download required!

3) I do not have much hope regarding gun holstering. Bioware said it was removed to save some RAM that was used by the animations. That sounds like a change of the game that cannot be resolved by editing a settings file.

4) I would like to point all able persons to this thread in the official forums. It probably has most resources needed to enabling gamepad support (if it is possible):

- a list of changes that enabled gamepad mode in ME2
- a tool to edit coalesced.bin
- a download link to the xbox coalesced.bin

I would like to add the following:

- A tool that splits coalesced.bin into json files and puts them back together
- A json editor

=> These two tools allow a clearer way to edit and compare coalesced.bin files

I tried to replicate the changes made to ME2's coalesced.ini in ME3's coalesced.bin but did not fully succeed, but was able to walk and shoot using the gamepad. Meanwhile there seems to be a better version that sadly still has gamebreaking issues.

I encourage anyone that has the time and ability to look into what can be done.

Top Bottom