• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 SPOILER THREAD: LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezbit

Okay I'm going to post some serious thoughts for the first time in the thread. I actually really liked most of ME3. Combat was way tighter than in ME1 and 2. Levels seemed to come and go really quickly though, didn't feel like there were long, sprawling epic ones a la ME1. Combat did feel a bit "wavey" at times (as in waves of enemies coming at you). Loved the dialogue between characters. Could have used some more interaction with The Shep, and I felt there weren't enough special Paragon/Renegade moments. Seemed diminished from 2 anyway. Would love more side missions, more exploration, and some more interaction with randoms rather than overhearing their conversation and then scanning to find something and going "Hey here you go." Graphics scaled from very nice to ugly. Also why were so many planets just rocks? Liked the idea of collecting war assets, but like so many people, would like to see this reflected in the final mission. I wanted to say "Right Geth, you guys assault this thing here, Krogan you guys bum rush into battle," etc etc. We all know about the ending. Harbinger needed to be a major epic boss battle. No offense, Marauder Shields.

So in short, I will play it again full renegade at some point, once the sour taste of the final mission leaves.

What I meant is that you wouldn't see your 2 companions' dead body in London if your EMS is high. My EMS was 6890 and the result was I didn't see Javik and Vega's body in London post beam attack whereas other people here have reported that they see their colleagues' dead body there. So I only assume that they must have low EMS.

Because of that, I wasn't surprised when Javik showed up out of Normandy in the ending. Because I assume he got evacuated post beam attack when everyone assume that Shepard is dead. My Shepard lived too at the end though.

What I don't understand is if they assume that Shepard is dead, and they are still alive, why don't they try to get inside the beam to open Citadel's door? Oh right, Bioware!

whole thing was a lie

Arjen

Squadmates surviving makes the least sense to me..
No one made it! they say
But, Anderson made it, Shepard made it, Garrus is still alive, Liara is still alive..
Shepard is in the citadel for what, 15-30 minutes?
Joker manages to leave the fleet orbiting earth, fly to the battlefield in London, land, load up presumably dead Garrus and Liara, fly away from the battlefield to garden world?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Squadmates surviving makes the least sense to me..
No one made it! they say
But, Anderson made it, Shepard made it, Garrus is still alive, Liara is still alive..
Shepard is in the citadel for what, 15-30 minutes?
Joker manages to leave the fleet orbiting earth, fly to the battlefield in London, land, load up presumably dead Garrus and Liara, fly away from the battlefield to garden world?

And that fits Joker's character how?

EDarkness

They messed up and wanted to show you your love interest and a random character, but did not take the dead squadmates under consideration. Either that, or the ending scenes are buggy somehow.

Or the whole thing is a dream and they wanted to throw some crap in there to stress that point. Because in my ending Tali and Javik walk out with Joker. Javik was with me during the fight and Tali was my LI. Seems to be the case for everyone I spoke to about their ending. One of the people who walk out is generally one of the squad members who was with you trying to get to the beam.

Just makes me think all is not as it seems.

Replicant

Or the whole thing is a dream and they wanted to throw some crap in there to stress that point. Because in my ending Tali and Javik walk out with Joker. Javik was with me during the fight and Tali was my LI. Seems to be the case for everyone I spoke to about their ending. One of the people who walk out is generally one of the squad members who was with you trying to get to the beam.

Just makes me think all is not as it seems.

I did notice that when Javik came out of the Normandy, he was wearing his default costume instead of the one that I specified when we went to London. So not only he managed to survive the beam attack and cleaned up his wounds, he also managed to change his clothes so he'll look fresh in the Jurassic Land.

Arjen

I did notice that when Javik came out of the Normandy, he was wearing his default costume instead of the one that I specified when we went to London. So not only he managed to survive the beam attack and cleaned up his wounds, he also managed to change his clothes so he'll look fresh in the Jurassic Land.

Must be a special beam, my shep lost his Dragon armor in the beam to.

Petrichor

There's too many good points to keep denying.

The only point that makes me think that the indoctrination ending was perhaps intentional is the weird trees that appear before you enter the citadel.

Everything other than that can just as easily be explained by lazy storytelling and reuse of assets.

...DOESN'T SOUND LIKE BIOWARE.

Margalis

Banned
Unfortunately all the indoctrination "theories" are little more than "wow this ending sucked - must be indoctrination!" with no actual delving into how an indoctrination ending would make any more sense than what we have.

It's a little sad that so many people look at the nonsense ending and rather than chalk it up to just being bad latch onto it being a clever ploy to create a different but just as nonsensical ending.

Even if you assume that you are under the spell of indoctrination there are a million things that make no sense, such as why bother at all, what is the motivation of anyone involved, that if the Reapers can trick you into using space magic to help them that still requires the existence of space magic and a nonsensical device created for no logical reason that apparently serves multiple contradictory functions that the Reapers can't activate without your help, that regardless of whether they trick you or not you still get basically the same ending meaning their ruse is pointless, etc.

Sadly "this ending is bad there must be some sekret plan!" is not evidence of a secret plan. Nobody has laid out a case for an indoctrination ending that works and I suspect nobody ever will, because for every flaw in the original ending there is a flaw in the imagined indoctrination one as well.

Zomba13

One thing about the whole "it's art, so you they shouldn't change it" stuff. It's not like it's a precedent really. Books sometimes come out with new editions. The Stephen King book The Gunslinger had a massively revised version to clear up inconsistencies and things that were unclear to the reader. Plus movies are released with alternate endings. And the special edition of Star Wars with Greedo shooting first.

Also, they are going to fucking change things anyway with DLC. They even say as much at the end of the fucking game. Either the game is art and perfect as it is or it's not art and they get to add DLC. You can't have it both ways.

z0m3le

Banned
I was questioning whether or not EMS has anything to do with seeing your crew there. z0m3le saw his, and we know for a fact that the Shepard waking up happens at plus 5000.
So seeing your crew must have nothing to do with EMS.

it might have something to do with me editing my file, a bug because I changed some graphical settings to make the game look better on my PC (it looks like ASS if you actually have a capable system without editing that file for stuff like AA and lighting effects (and removing len flares))

Zen

Banned
Unfortunately all the indoctrination "theories" are little more than "wow this ending sucked - must be indoctrination!" with no actual delving into how an indoctrination ending would make any more sense than what we have.

It's a little sad that so many people look at the nonsense ending and rather than chalk it up to just being bad latch onto it being a clever ploy to create a different but just as nonsensical ending.

How do you figure that the Indoctrination theory hasn't dwelved into how it makes more sense? It has consistence with how indoctrination has been depicted in the series, and stated in the codex. It isn't just 'well this ending had inconsistencies'.

z0m3le

Banned
How do you figure that the Indoctrination theory hasn't dwelved into how it makes more sense? It has consistence with how indoctrination has been depicted in the series, and stated in the codex. It isn't just 'well this ending had inconsistencies'.

It also suggests that the battle isn't over yet, that Shepard still has to reach the Citadel, the point to the Indoctrination theory is that we haven't actually gotten an ending, unless your ending is that Shepard was Indoctrinated, that would mean the end of the cycle, thus Shepard only survives if he rejects Indoctrination.

That seems to be the whole point of the 100% red ending, It's either that, or he fell miles to earth and is still alive.

JoeBoy101

I find it glaring that the major defense I hear of the ending, which is weak at best, is that the entire game of ME3 is the ending. First saw it on Penny Arcade, and now RPS.

Yet, I haven't seen one solid substantive defense of the actual ending of the game. Only a stretching of the term 'ending' to include the an entire third of the trilogy.

Jhoan

Before I go to sleep, I just wanted to post my thoughts on the ending having beat it a few minutes ago. Shepard's death was telegraphed from the get go. People kept alluding to the fact that Shepard might not survive; Liara did that memory thing to record Shepard's legacy, talking to all the squad mates in London was a dead give away that Shep was gonna die. Hell, Liara (she was my romance from the get go; it was pretty meaningful in this game) kept on saying she didn't want Shep to die.

Honestly, I'm disappointed. I'm not pissed off nor raging, but I'm just shaking my head in disbelief. Admittedly, now I don't even want to run through it again. All 3 endings were bad; I chose to sacrifice Shep's energy to the Crucible at the cost of destroying the Mass Relays since that was the best ending of the 3. The deus ex machina with the kid made me say WTF out loud.

There's so many plot holes such as how did Liara survive (she appeared in the cutscene with Joker and EDI) if she got blasted by the Reaper with Garrus and Shepard? How did Joker outrun the blast and crash land on that mysterious jungle planet?

I know there's been a lot of speculation so I'll read the entire thread after I wake up. I was hoping for a more satisfying ending, not just "The legend of Shepard." I wanted to see Shepard's "blue children" with Liara, I wanted to see a big victory party that squad members kept on promising. I wanted to see Tali unmasked and hanging out with Garrus and not some crappy ass Getty image.

In other words, I wanted to see a real Epilogue with Shepard alive. The ending could have ended with a bang, instead it just left more questions and confusion. I definitely understand people's complaints. That said, again, I'm not pissed off and for what it is, it's a decent ending with a decent epilogue; it just wasn't a satisfying ending like ME1's ending was. Any way, that's my two cents on that; I loved the journey, just not the end of the journey. I'll post some more thoughts later. The sun's coming up so I better get my ass to sleep.

Petrichor

I find it glaring that the major defense I hear of the ending, which is weak at best, is that the entire game of ME3 is the ending. First saw it on Penny Arcade, and now RPS.

Yet, I haven't seen one solid substantive defense of the actual ending of the game. Only a stretching of the term 'ending' to include the an entire third of the trilogy.

I really like the reaper plot twist. I think the ending could have been brilliant if:

1) The idea of synthetics inevitably slaughtering humans was seeded better throughout the series, maybe a flashback to the time in which the reapers were created, to demonstrate why they were created, would have helped. Maybe the war with the synthetics in javik's time could have had more screen-time.

2) Logical inconsistencies surrounding joker's / squadmates whereabouts were cleared up.

3) The silly synthesis ending was removed and it was a straight choice between "let the reaper cycle continue, or destroy the reapers, and live with the potential consequences of a synthetic singularity (cannon ending)

4) The mass relays were simply inactivated rather than blowing up (because of what we know about what happens when mass relays blow up from the arrival DLC)

Raxus

That in itself is a strawman argument. By lumping the entire third act into the conclusion a ton of things seem better. Take the Harry Potter finale (spoiler warning just in case)
The final act is the entire Hogwarts assault and duel which is very good. However, there is still a conclusion in there that is a big fat turd just waiting for you. While both ME's and HP's finales were good but their conclusions were awful, HP's was not due to a lack of what happened to all the characters. More so it was TOO much information leading to a conclusion of gooey they lived happily ever after and never did anything interesting ever again (which is all unnecessary) and ME has NO answers in just says SPECULATE with conflicting messages all over the place.

z0m3le

Banned
Before I go to sleep, I just wanted to post my thoughts on the ending having beat it a few minutes ago. Shepard's death was telegraphed from the get go. People kept alluding to the fact that Shepard might not survive; Liara did that memory thing to record Shepard's legacy, talking to all the squad mates in London was a dead give away that Shep was gonna die. Hell, Liara (she was my romance from the get go; it was pretty meaningful in this game) kept on saying she didn't want Shep to die.

Honestly, I'm disappointed. I'm not pissed off nor raging, but I'm just shaking my head in disbelief. Admittedly, now I don't even want to run through it again. All 3 endings were bad; I chose to sacrifice Shep's energy to the Crucible at the cost of destroying the Mass Relays since that was the best ending of the 3. The deus ex machina with the kid made me say WTF out loud.

There's so many plot holes such as how did Liara survive (she appeared in the cutscene with Joker and EDI) if she got blasted by the Reaper with Garrus and Shepard? How did Joker outrun the blast and crash land on that mysterious jungle planet?

I know there's been a lot of speculation so I'll read the entire thread after I wake up. I was hoping for a more satisfying ending, not just "The legend of Shepard." I wanted to see Shepard's "blue children" with Liara, I wanted to see a big victory party that squad members kept on promising. I wanted to see Tali unmasked and hanging out with Garrus and some crappy ass Getty image.

In other words, I wanted to see a real Epilogue with Shepard alive. The ending could have ended with a bang, instead it just left more questions and confusion. I definitely understand people's complaints. That said, again, I'm not pissed off and for what it is, it's a decent ending with a decent epilogue; it just wasn't a satisfying ending like ME1's ending was. Any way, that's my two cents on that; I loved the journey, just not the end of the journey. I'll post some more thoughts later. The sun's coming up so I better get my ass to sleep.

The biggest WTF if you don't believe in the Indoctrination theory, is if you choose to destroy the reapers (and only if you choose it, the red ending) and have a battle readiness of 5000+, at the end of everything, Shepard lives, he wakes up on earth, in rubble... which shouldn't be possible... I was at the exact same place as you, after I beat the game the first time. (rushed through it so I didn't get a very high EMS)

When Shepard woke up on earth in the best ending though, having heard of the Indoctrination theory, it was the only thing I could logically assume happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The biggest WTF if you don't believe in the Indoctrination theory, is if you choose to destroy the reapers (and only if you choose it, the red ending) and have a battle readiness of 5000+, at the end of everything, Shepard lives, he wakes up on earth, in rubble... which shouldn't be possible... I was at the exact same place as you, after I beat the game the first time. (rushed through it so I didn't get a very high EMS)

When Shepard woke up on earth in the best ending though, having heard of the Indoctrination theory, it was the only thing I could logically assume happened.
Or it's just a bad twist that they threw in there for more speculation.

How many plot holes are people willing to forgive in order to make this indoctrination thing seem "real"? It's just wacky.

Zomba13

I know that the Indoctrination ending is 100% not possible and not planned at all (even if they may have had an indoctrination segment planned at some point) but I think I still prefer that compared to what we got even if it leaves us without an ending.

The ending we do have is full of nonsense and space magic and creates a hell of a lot more questions than answers. The indoctrination ending has you either give in to it in which case the reapers win, everyone loses eventually and the cycle continues and the next cycle find Liara's time boxes with Shepard and the Crucible plans.
If you break indoctrination then you wake up, get to the citadel open the arms and stop the reapers. Yeah, we also have a bunch of questions here but less than in the proper ending. We can SPECULATE on what happens to everyone else (much like we have to with this ending) and how the crucible beats the reapers.

I know it's crazy and insane but I still prefer having a non-ending than the ending we have right now. Both endings have around an equal amount of speculation involved.

tino

Banned
I think they are just reusing assets and scripting they had from one of their earlier indoctrination testings. Bioware is just fucking lazy. But if people can see Indoctrination in this
then maybe Ea/Bioware are going to exploit this with paid dlc.

I also still want to believe not satisfied with this endings. And if they are asking money for the ending render some fucking more movies about special War assets you collected in some of the Earth take back invasion cutscenes.

Using Indoctrination theory ("It's all a dream") will cause pretty of backslash. The best "fix" I have seen is that fan made ending on devientart. The ending actually expend on the starchild bullshit and make his revealation logical.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know that the Indoctrination ending is 100% not possible and not planned at all (even if they may have had an indoctrination segment planned at some point) but I think I still prefer that compared to what we got even if it leaves us without an ending.

Personally, I'd just be happy if the game ended with Shepard dying beside Anderson on the Citadel. There's no need to retcon the entire last act of the game by inventing another layer of BS that makes as much sense as the Star Child/Contact/Matrix ending.

z0m3le

Banned
Or it's just a bad twist that they threw in there for more speculation.

How many plot holes are people willing to forgive in order to make this indoctrination thing seem "real"? It's just wacky.

Well it doesn't actually have to be indoctrination, we know that Bioware thought of it as an ending at one point (they have said as much) they decided against it as an ending, but the real purpose of all of this speculating and hating of the ending is that we are basically Demanding a new ending via DLC, Bioware will end up giving us what we want more than likely, they are even considering the idea right now, (also said as much) So if they did just happen to make all of these glaring mistakes, they can cover them all up and give the fans the good ending if Shepard chooses to destroy the reapers with the star child on the Citadel.

Afterwards he wakes up on Earth like the ending is now, but the game continues, he realizes he still needs to reach the beam to get to the Citadel so he can actually defeat the reapers. That with maybe an hour of game play + 10-20 minute ending, actually showing us what happened would be great.

I'd also prefer it if they don't destroy the mass relays so that the universe is intact for canon books and other forms of media, and maybe even future games.

Jinjo

You know, all those indoctrination vids have a pretty cool premise. I even expected to have to fight of the indoctrination in Mass Effect 3, but Bioware has all but confirmed there never was an indoctrination theory planned, so all these video's in proving it are useless, there is none.

I still don't like the ending, but having rewatched it a few times now and looking back on the first time when I was watching it: the whole ending was perfect up to and including the final conversation with Anderson. I was clinged to every word that was uttered between the two (and the extended conversation is even better, but that's marginal). The minute Shepard walks up to the panel to see what's happening and the whole spacekid sequence that follows feels so tacked on and wholly out of place for the Mass Effect universe. The satisfying feeling that I had on completing the trilogy and watching the awesome interchange by Anderson and Shepard got grabbed hard and thrown in the garbage.

It's not about having a happy ending, I wasn't expecting one. But all the inconsistensies that those last 5 minutes created in the Mass Effect universe blow my mind, there are even straight contradictions, stuff happening that not even the slightest should be physically possible. Certain implications that arise that are just too weird to fathom (even aside from the whole spacemagic bullshit), I can't imagine that these questions didn't arise during development. Not to mention that everything you did literally had no effect on the outcome of the ending.

And if we're giving "solutions" to fix the ending: keep everything up to and including the Anderson conversation, drop the entire spacekid sequence and everything after. Go from there. Try again Bioware.

derFeef

Personally, I'd just be happy if the game ended with Shepard dying beside Anderson on the Citadel. There's no need to retcon the entire last act of the game by inventing another layer of BS that makes as much sense as the Star Child/Contact/Matrix ending.

I thought that would be a good idea at one point, but it's really the same problem in the end. No closure, no clue what happened, and it highly suggests a sequel.

Replicant

Afterwards he wakes up on Earth like the ending is now, but the game continues, he realizes he still needs to reach the beam to get to the Citadel so he can actually defeat the reapers. That with maybe an hour of game play + 10-20 minute ending, actually showing us what happened would be great.

I think that's more realistic than indoctrination theory. He simply got buried inside the rubble, lost his consciousness, and start imagining the whole RGB ending while he pass out. When he regained his consciousness, nothing has changed. That'd effectively get rid of those stupid Land of the Lost footage where dead crew members somehow appear again and it'd also means that Mass Relays are still intact. At least that's how I'd re-write it.

z0m3le

Banned
I think that's more realistic than indoctrination ending. He simply got buried inside the rubble, lost his consciousness, and start imagining the whole RGB ending while he pass out. When he regained his consciousness, nothing has been done yet. That'd also effectively get rid of those stupid Land of the Lost footage where dead crew members somehow appear again and it'd also means that Mass Relays are still intact. At least that's how I'd re-write it.

Yeah, I mean if you think of the night mares, those stupid little bushes are in them, and they are at the beam site too, I'm not really comparing Mass Effect to the sixth sense, but "red" was used in a similar way.

I think Indoctrination being something that happens to Shepard while he is unconscious would be fine.

Arjen

I agree, i would prefer that, Anderson and Shepard overwatching seeing the crucible firing.
Clips what happens to your squadmates on earth.

Jinjo

I agree, i would prefer that, Anderson and Shepard overwatching seeing the crucible firing.

I actually was expecting this to happen. Would have been totally fine with that. Then you get beamed up and the bad stuff started happening. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well it doesn't actually have to be indoctrination, we know that Bioware thought of it as an ending at one point (they have said as much) they decided against it as an ending, but the real purpose of all of this speculating and hating of the ending is that we are basically Demanding a new ending via DLC, Bioware will end up giving us what we want more than likely, they are even considering the idea right now, (also said as much) So if they did just happen to make all of these glaring mistakes, they can cover them all up and give the fans the good ending if Shepard chooses to destroy the reapers with the star child on the Citadel.

I'd also prefer it if they don't destroy the mass relays so that the universe is intact for canon books and other forms of media, and maybe even future games.
The problem with this "new ending" stuff is that it's basically asking for an expansion pack on the scale of like, Dragon Age Awakenings or something. You'd need to make new assets, bring back the entire cast of voice actors, and all the other production stuff that has to take place for that to happen. Looking at all the previous ME DLC, they've never done anything on that scale with the franchise - it's all stand alone adventures with Jennifer Hale/Mark Meer and some anonymous voice actors that no one cares about in a relatively small and tightly designed level.

Of course, assuming they actually go all out and make a new ending, how much do they charge for it? 15? 20? Because they're sure as hell not going to give it away for free.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy about how they fucked this all up... but I just think constantly speculation is just working yourself up to further disappointment.

I thought that would be a good idea at one point, but it's really the same problem in the end. No closure, no clue what happened, and it highly suggests a sequel.
I don't think you really need closure beyond Shepard seeing Earth saved and then dying. I mean, it's basically the end of
Saving Private Ryan without all the old man crap at the end or The Thin Red Line

Yeah, maybe the squad member stuff would be a nice extra, but not something I'd really want to need to see.

I like this. It makes some sense, I got indoctrinated trying to save the Geth. It'd also make what we learn about the Reapers and Catalyst manipulative nonsense, instead of just nonsense.

They planted a lot of hints at indoctrination but bottled it in the end.

Indoc theory is stupid.

derFeef

I don't think you really need closure beyond Shepard seeing Earth saved and then dying. I mean, it's basically the end of
Saving Private Ryan without all the old man crap at the end or The Thin Red Line

Oh missed that saving earth would be included. Yeah sure, I would like that. It would still lead to tons of speculation though.

Also to me it's not that the ending is bad itself, what is not there is bad. At least that's how I feel after thinking more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom