• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3: Voice Cast Trailer & GAF Plymouth Rock Town Meeting

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's the scandal?

Not so much a scandal as it being arguably the worst writing to come out of anything associated with the franchise, to the point of absurdly conflicting with established canon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How terrible? I thought the other books were pretty bad too.

I like the other books in a "oh god this is cheesy but MOAR MASS EFFECT" kinda way. They're extremely basic reading, but easy to follow and at least are largely consistent with themes and characters. They're stories that flow like a story should, and since Drew Karpyshyn has worked heavily on the franchise they were true to the canon. They were nice for extra back story and expanding the game universe.

Deception, on the other hand, is ripe with plot points and lore that conflicts directly with the canon. It's hilarious how bad it is, and clear that Dietz had no grasp on the game universe.

Its a weird thing to get riled up about I guess, but seriously, there's so many big, obvious mistakes you wonder how they managed to go to print. For example, there's a Batarian embassy on the Citadel. The Batarians opposing the Citadel council and their laws, to the point of removing their embassy from the Citadel, has been a running theme throughout both games. Yet the book implies the opposite.

Carcetti

I like the other books in a "oh god this is cheesy but MOAR MASS EFFECT" kinda way. They're extremely basic reading, but easy to follow and at least are largely consistent with themes and characters. They're stories that flow like a story should, and since Drew Karpyshyn has worked heavily on the franchise they were true to the canon. They were nice for extra back story and expanding the game universe.

Deception, on the other hand, is ripe with plot points and lore that conflicts directly with the canon. It's hilarious how bad it is, and clear that Dietz had no grasp on the game universe.

Its a weird thing to get riled up about I guess, but seriously, there's so many big, obvious mistakes you wonder how they managed to go to print. For example, there's a Batarian embassy on the Citadel. The Batarians opposing the Citadel council and their laws, to the point of removing their embassy from the Citadel, has been a running theme throughout both games. Yet the book implies the opposite.

Sounds great... I agree that the other books are definitely on the readable scale where game books go, but then game books in general are pretty dire.

Nemesis_

Some of those gripes are ridiculous sci fi nerd kind of problems that remind me of that Xena episode of The Simpsons.

But some of them are really fucking terrible oversights that almost anyone who plays Mass Effect would know. Pretty terrible stuff.

Also

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Us..._Open_Letter_Regarding_Mass_Effect:_Deception

EatChildren

Some of those gripes are ridiculous sci fi nerd kind of problems that remind me of that Xena episode of The Simpsons.

Well yeah, I was thinking that. I might love Mass Effect but I don't care enough to be really phased by the little things. Like, I don't give a shit about the introduction of heat sinks and exclusion of omni-gel in Mass Effect 2. I'm happy for stuff to change in favour of better gaming.

But when it's a big, huge obvious thing you pretty much have to go out of your way to fuck up, then I'm just...confused. Really confused. Mass Effect: Evolution was similar, simply due to how horrendously it handled the First Contact War with stuff that also didn't make any sense.

Nemesis_

Some of the gripes are pretty major now that I am reading this document a bit more.

Volus being described in a way where they would die?
A substance considered to be poisonous no longer being poisonous?
And all those timeline issues that pop up

Such weird things to overlook. Why did Karpyshyn step down?

EatChildren

Such weird things to overlook. Why did Karpyshyn step down?

Probably busy with other projects. He did write three books, and I'm pretty sure he worked to some extent on Mass Effect 3. No doubt EA/BioWare wanted to continue the novel series and farmed it out to someone else.

In complete honesty, I want no video game journalist on the game. Keep it professional and stop pandering to the lonely perverts lusting after some bimbo reading a teleprompter, Bioware.

Wow.... BW hatred going new lows.

I want to know which reporter out there ad libs the news these days.

I wonder if other games are held to such VA high standards.

Nemesis_

Wow.... BW hatred going new lows.

I want to know which reporter out there ad libs the news these days.

I wonder if other games are held to such VA high standards.

I think he was more referring to Chobot reading her lines?

Either way people are overreacting about this way too much. I hate the idea too but I am not worrying too much. It's not like DIANA ALLERS WILL BE THE ONE TO SAVE THE GALAXY

Solo

Why did they model Chobot's character after her? It looks awful and uncanny.

So odd.

Yvonne's character model from ME2 looks like garbage too. They try to make dead ringer models, and not only does it not work, but it becomes fucking weird looking. They even tried to get Yvonne's teeth right, which Makes Miranda look so fucking strange.

Moaradin

I don't really care about the lore outside of the games. They always seem to fuck something up in those comics/books.

woV4K.gif

LiK

Not so much a scandal as it being arguably the worst writing to come out of anything associated with the franchise, to the point of absurdly conflicting with established canon.
really? how did they mess that up? heard the first book was actually decent.

EatChildren

really? how did they mess that up? heard the first book was actually decent.

Some people hate the books because their pretty cheesy, very basic in writing, and fall back on some annoying literary tropes (Kahlee Sanders is a Mary Sue, through and through), but yeah, in the context of being an easy read for lovers of the universe they're decent.

Deception is not because, as Lothars said, they changed to a new writer, someone who obviously didn't follow the series canon, and wasn't kept in check by BioWare.

Walters is guilty of it too. Evolution in particular makes little to no sense.

Hudson will do the PR stuff as he's always done. I wouldn't be surprised if he never even read the book.

Lothars

Some people hate the books because their pretty cheesy, very basic in writing, and fall back on some annoying literary tropes (Kahlee Sanders is a Mary Sue, through and through), but yeah, in the context of being an easy read for lovers of the universe they're decent.

Deception is not because, as Lothars said, they changed to a new writer, someone who obviously didn't follow the series canon, and wasn't kept in check by BioWare.

Walters is guilty of it too. Evolution in particular makes little to no sense.

Hudson will do the PR stuff as he's always done. I wouldn't be surprised if he never even read the book.
Yeah I thought the same thing, He's just trying to sell the books but I am dissapointed in how bad Deception sounds. I probably won't read it now.

LiK

Man, that sucks. I know so many guys who bought Deception too. Guess they'll find out the hard way.

The way I see this situation:

Diana Allers is a reporter, her role is not bigger than Kelly Chambers, so instead of doing another generic looking character they chosen a "famous", in this case Jessica Chobot. Why? dunno, she's semi-popular in the gaming world, has a pretty face, surely isn't as expensive compared with others dedicated voice-actors, etc.

That's the trade, i'm kinda indifferent about this, just hope that the obvious romance is tasteful, not just flirting starting the first conversation. And that the character has some personality, some clash of opinions with other characters, some reason for her to stay in the ship.

The way I see this situation:

Diana Allers is a reporter, her role is not bigger than Kelly Chambers, so instead of doing another generic looking character they chosen a "famous", in this case Jessica Chobot. Why? dunno, she's semi-popular in the gaming world, has a pretty face, surely isn't as expensive compared with others dedicated voice-actors, etc.

That's the trade, i'm kinda indifferent about this, just hope that the obvious romance is tasteful, not just flirting starting the first conversation. And that the character has some personality, some clash of opinions with other characters, some reason to her to stay in the ship.

I don't know about you, but started hitting on kelly from the get go.

What does it say? Twitter is blocked here.

Some reviewed the book.

Q: is the book awesome?

A: Yes.

Q: How awesome?

A: So Awesome.

Real Tweet:

@CaseyDHudson Casey Hudson
Finished my final review of the #MassEffect Deception novel. A really fun lead-in to #ME3! Kai Leng is a badass. January 31 release.

Derrick01

Banned
I kinda liked the first few books but they were relatively boring, at least until the last one Drew did because it finally involved the Reapers. I'm kind of pissed I skipped this new book because I didn't care much for the lore anymore, but now I want to see how deliciously awful it is.

Arjen

I don't know about you, but started hitting on kelly from the get go.

Some reviewed the book.

Q: is the book awesome?

A: Yes.

Q: How awesome?

A: So Awesome.

Real Tweet:

@CaseyDHudson Casey Hudson
Finished my final review of the #MassEffect Deception novel. A really fun lead-in to #ME3! Kai Leng is a badass. January 31 release.

Thanks.
Looks like the book is Evolution bad, already ordered it, so i'm bracing myself.

But some of them are really fucking terrible oversights that almost anyone who plays Mass Effect would know. Pretty terrible stuff.

Also

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Us..._Open_Letter_Regarding_Mass_Effect:_Deception

Haha, I read the Wiki letter and was impressed with them standing up for integrity of the franchise and refusing to associate the book w/ the series. But then I thought, what if this is the same with Mass Effect 3? Are they going to leave the game out as well? But I'm sure ME3 will be consistent with the lore... haha... ha... oh shit.

What has happened with Bioware? Seriously. All they had to do was make a goddam trilogy and then after that whore it out as much as they like. If they just stuck to their guns and made the game how it should be made, the trilogy could possibly live on forever. But now it is looking like it will be forgotten in time...

Its why everyone LOVED ME2 when it released and probably will love ME3 when it releases, but it's a cheap thrill that fades quickly.

EatChildren

Haha, I read the Wiki letter and was impressed with them standing up for integrity of the franchise and refusing to associate the book w/ the series. But then I thought, what if this is the same with Mass Effect 3? Are they going to leave the game out as well? But I'm sure ME3 will be consistent with the lore... haha... ha... oh shit.

I doubt there will be much of a stink over ME3. The negative few are always the loudest, and in the case of something like ME2, you'll find the audible backlash on GAF not anywhere close to being an accurate representation of the core fanbase. Even with it's problems, ME2 fits quite comfortably in the series canon. It's stuff like Evolution and Deception that are true "WTF" moments.

I've read almost all the second leak of ME3, without spoiling, you will be surprised on how well written it is and how well it binds with previous stablished plot points, both the main plot and specially the side arcs, I'm totally serious.

In the worst case scenario will still be much better than ME2, i'm sure of that, and there is more than one scene that will defy the epicness of the battle of the citadel if executed right.

BTW, OXM is doing a Mass Effect 3 week with some new info:
http://www.oxm.co.uk/38275/mass-effect-3s-insanity-mode-harsher-deeper-but-fairer/

EatChildren

What's weird is I was just looking at those and thinking they hadn't been posted.

Get out of my head Nirolak.

I've read almost all the second leak of ME3, without spoiling, you will be surprised on how well written it is and how well it binds with previous stablished plot points, both the main plot and specially the side arcs, I'm totally serious.

In the worst case scenario will still be much better than ME2, i'm sure of that, and there is more than one scene that will defy the epicness of the battle of the citadel if executed right.

BTW, OXM is doing a Mass Effect 3 week with some new info:
http://www.oxm.co.uk/38275/mass-effect-3s-insanity-mode-harsher-deeper-but-fairer/

Ah thanks for the insight (w/out spoiling)! That settles my mind a bit. With all the negative views I have against where the series is headed, I'm still fucking Jersey pumped up for ME3.

EatChildren

That's Anderson.

On another note, in the voice cast trailer, is that Captain Armando Bailey?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is that Anderson in the last screen? I can't make out his face on my phone. He's looking even more badass than usual if it is.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've always played as femshep since me1. She just sounds better then maleshep.

I did MaleShep when I first played ME1, got four hours into the game and put it down because I wasn't feeling it. Picked it up again a month later, started over with FemShep and never looked back.

Top Bottom