• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Graphical Downgrade

Screencaps of the female presets if anyone is interested:

vrKISeR.jpg
Oh god, the nefarious return of the Oblivion character creator.

To be fair, the bottom right one is pretty much my reaction right now.

cripterion

Looks good to me but maybe I'm just a shill.

df1b012845db7e45c7a347f842ef8a7c.png

Yeah this is alright but I've seen the same face already with white hair in the gamespot preview.
Alec Ryder face looks ok, I mean look at the disparity. You can see he looks like a stern man, and the stare doesn't look as derpy as the others. Really confusing why the other faces couldn't be at that same standard.

I made a quick change to CarbonFire's version just to see what it would look like with less red in the eyes.

Reveal
vlcsnap-2017-03-14-20npsvz.png

Latest
peebee3wsr8.png

CarbonFire's superimposition
me-aoldeyesxxaw7.jpg

Drugs-B-Gone
58WiOsW.jpg

Skin texture is much nicer in the final version, but those dead eyes man....

Garlador

How can they still make the worst hair ever after god knows how many tries. Holy shit that looks bad.

I keep hoping for Bioware to get good... hell, even decent... at hair.

A whole decade later and it seems they still can't do what some companies were doing on PS2 13 years ago.
c090a4f33e9f8315600cf88cb3af9502.gif

Wulfram

Yikes...

Hopefully these all look better under different lighting conditions.

I don't think its the lighting so much as the make up and hair. But I do think they're probably "fixable" with a bit of work

Yikes. You could import other players faces somehow right? Because these are terrible, almost as terrible as when i try and customize a face myself.

There's an import feature available, yeah.

Zen Aku

The presets looks like fucking they belong in a claydoh animation movie. What the living plastic hell.

Also that black woman (2nd bottom right) looks like a botch job version of Viola Davis.

Some of MGSV's variety for comparison, since someone brought up current gen models. Even without being as photorealistic as some games they're still excellent.

profileimagesapj4x.jpg

Will be interesting to see how flexible the ME:A character creator is.

Jesus any of these look 100% better than the ME:A pre sets

Damn they really messed it up. It's not exactly like they were amazing with it in the first place but you just see they really messed up with the eyes for some reason. Who at Bioware sees that and says ''Yeah, let's go with this. This looks pretty damn good''? Jeez. I'm of course referring to the gifs from recent footage now.

Solidino

It seems that the game has received a noticeable graphical downgrade ever since the first reveal, most notably the eye shaders were drastically reduced among with other post process effects. Considering even the pc 4k version from their videos don't come close to the reveal trailer quality I'm not holding my breath the ps4 pro 1080p mode would introduce these effects back, although i wish they could patch it in the future.

Reveal
vlcsnap-2017-03-14-20npsvz.png

Latest
peebee3wsr8.png

The first image was fixed with photoshop (no aliasing, specially around eyes) it was created for marketing.
i see non downgrade.

Trickster

The first image was fixed with photoshop (no aliasing, specially around eyes) it was created for marketing.
i see non downgrade.

The eyes from the reveal, superimposed on the latest face does a gigantic difference in making the face look more realistic.

edit - the "drugs-b-gone" version at least does

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
After seeing the atrocities of the character creation, that people would still want to play with anything other than default male or female Ryders... Ugh.

I get that you'd want to customize your avatar, but damn as bad as the default are, they still look way better than any customized character I've seen so far. In 2017, on an engine like the Frostbite 3 and on such a big, high profile AAA game, it's pretty sad. They really dropped the ball on those characters.

Anwyay, won't change the fact I'll be there day one cause game looks awesome anyway.

Valonquar

At this point Bioware needs to give up including human characters at all. Those female protag presets are awful. I sort of figured random NPCs would be as fugly as ever.

KORNdoggy

i see non downgrade.

i do wish the colourisation of the skin was more in line with the first image though. it's just more interesting to look at, as opposed to the retail version where it's all very monotone blue man group looking.

texture quality is actually improved though. but lighting looks so much flatter.

Durante

Why would you think that? there are multiple engines out there (including Frostbite!) which can in principle render eyes at that fidelity in realtime.
Hell, Epic has eye shading at that fidelity (or better) in their 60 FPS MOBA.

Top Bottom