• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Graphical Downgrade

Ushay

Screencaps of the female presets if anyone is interested:

vrKISeR.jpg
Fuckin Yikes.

These other custom faces look really promising though. Can't wait to dig in.

10 hours trial should be about enough for me to get it right haha!

Flipyap

I wonder if I can customize her to look more like her actual face model.

I might try it, actually.
Try turning up the brightness and contrast to the point where you can't make out any details and you should be able to match that photo. It might make the game kinda hard to play, but maybe there will be a mod that adds a spotlight floating in front of her face to save you from having to see her facial features.

Zakalwe

Banned
At this point Bioware needs to give up including human characters at all. Those female protag presets are awful. I sort of figured random NPCs would be as fugly as ever.

Why are you ignoring the gif of the preset in-game showing the preset looking pretty great?

Trickster

This really looks good.

We'll need a tutorial tread on how to make decent looking fem shep... That won't fix animation but maybe we can fix goofus faces

Yeah, based on that image and the gif of the white haired femryder. I'm definitely leaning towards making an asian femryder.

OtisInf

The first image was fixed with photoshop (no aliasing, specially around eyes) it was created for marketing.
i see non downgrade.
indeed, plus they used SSS shaders on the eyes in first one and not on the latter.

Gamers in general have this view of reality that their 300$ piece of kit can render the most tremendously advanced graphics at the highest framerate with the largest stack of post-processing shaders one can imagine.

But that 'reality' doesn't exist. 'Poorly optimized' and the like are popular remarks, but often there's little to no evidence that the game is indeed poorly optimized. There are examples aplenty available where games which are often labeled as 'poorly optimized' are actually optimized deeply and have little room to spare.

It's sadly not a given that there are an infinite amount of resources to pick from when optimizing graphics pipelines, on the contrary: it's a balance: you optimize here, and because of that you have to accept a trade-off elsewhere.

Wait till the PC screenshots pour in, made with hotsampled resolutions of 8K or higher and additional (reshade) post-processing, and as one can kick frostbite on PC into scaling to 2x when rendering through assembly hacks. They'll likely look awesome. But run at 5fps or lower. That's the thing people forget: there aren't infinite resources. You can get what you want, but it's not going to be playable on console or the mainstream PC hardware. Compromises eh?

Jibbed

This thread is so fucking dumb, like Witcher 3 graphical 'downgrade' levels of dumb.

Any actual Mass Effect fans in here? Or is everyone just jumping on the shit-flinging bandwagon?

Ahasverus

indeed, plus they used SSS shaders on the eyes in first one and not on the latter.

Gamers in general have this view of reality that their 300$ piece of kit can render the most tremendously advanced graphics at the highest framerate with the largest stack of post-processing shaders one can imagine.

But that 'reality' doesn't exist. 'Poorly optimized' and the like are popular remarks, but often there's little to no evidence that the game is indeed poorly optimized. There are examples aplenty available where games which are often labeled as 'poorly optimized' are actually optimized deeply and have little room to spare.

It's sadly not a given that there are an infinite amount of resources to pick from when optimizing graphics pipelines, on the contrary: it's a balance: you optimize here, and because of that you have to accept a trade-off elsewhere.
Horizon though

Hell, The Witcher 3

Hell, Dragon Age

ironcreed

Banned
This thread is so fucking dumb, like Witcher 3 graphical 'downgrade' levels of dumb.

Any actual Mass Effect fans in here? Or is everyone just jumping on the shit-flinging bandwagon?

Yeah, I'm good. We have seen gameplay and it looks more than fine to me, despite whatever BioWare jank may be present. I sure as hell am not going to get all worked up over what boils down to game development and optimization causing some visual alterations here and there.

red36

Neo Member

Actual fan here. Think Bioware should be ashamed about the animation quality and lack of humanity in their characters, considering competition.

However I think that asian custom ryder from the gamestop video looks pretty decent, and still have hope.

But again, Bioware is trailing competition now when it used to lead.

RDreamer

Horizon though

Hell, The Witcher 3

Hell, Dragon Age

Why are you using Witcher 3 and Dragon Age as evidence when this same shit was pulled with them, too? Wither 3 had MASSIVE downgrade threads here. That plus DA: I had an infamously bad look to its character creator lighting and characters came out the other end looking fine.

Wulfram

Yeah, the problem I have seen reported is that if you mess with the customization a lot, then the lip syncing gets even worse. More air smooching than normal. This one looks darn good though!

I don't think that one is tweaked very much though, its basically just Head 1 with white hair.

There are probably going to be quite a lot of asian FemRyders, which I guess is a win for diversity

Solidino

yep, they must sell you the game, this must be nice to your eyes.
always was and always will be so.
Marketing.

cripterion

Ok like The Witcher 3 wasn't? It came straight from the devs mouths after release that what they initially showed couldn't run on a pc so what the fuck are you on about? Actual Mass Effect fans got only positives to say about the game am I right?

Jibbed

I can't wait 'til this game has been out for a week and everyone has found something else to moan about.

Jimmies rustled up to 11 in here.

Ok like The Witcher 3 wasn't? It came straight from the devs mouths after release that what they initially showed couldn't run on a pc so what the fuck are you on about? Actual Mass Effect fans got only positives to say about the game am I right?

No. But they sure as hell don't have only negative things to say.

Don't really care about any "downgrade" as most gameplay I've seen looks fine. The facial animations however are pretty concerning. They are distractingly bad.

Jibbed

You guys are amazing. Some of us actually do want them to fix some of these issues. I'm not sitting here clamoring the game is shit for it.

Hey, I want improvements as much as the next guy, but what we're not doing is flipping our shit over something that's really not worth it.

Ahasverus

Why are you using Witcher 3 and Dragon Age as evidence when this same shit was pulled with them, too? Wither 3 had MASSIVE downgrade threads here. That plus DA: I had an infamously bad look to its character creator lighting and characters came out the other end looking fine.
Because hey look better and were released years ago?

Zen Aku

Hey, I want improvements as much as the next guy, but what we're not doing is flipping our shit over something that's really not worth it.
Considering how this is a game where you spend a lot of time seeing characters talk and interact. It's kind of a big deal that facial animation and look are so bad.

If this was Madden, I wouldn't give a damn since they'll be in helmet 90% of the time and I'll mostly be looking at their butt.

The presets have looked bad in every Mass Effect game- they're just templates to build off of anyway. The concern is kind of silly. I've seen some pretty great looking Ryders from the videos being released by preview players.

Jibbed

Considering how this is a game where you spend a lot of time seeing characters talk and interact. It's kind of a big deal that facial animation and look are so bad.

Note: your opinion. Not saying they're great, but I don't have a problem with them. Neither do a number of other posters on here.

There's 'that could look better' and then there's 'HOLY FUCK GAME-BREAKER', which is what this thread seems to be implying.

cripterion

Well I can't speak for everyone here but I'm not "flipping my shit" over it, merely posting stuff I find relevant in the context of the thread. I still preordered the game, still bought origin access to play it early. Yeah they seem to be behind the times when it comes to character models, animations and other aspects of the game.
The game will still be successful, I'll still play it and hopefully enjoy it if the story and main gameplay mechanics don't fall short.

EvB

But what are you comparing it to?
Horizon? Quantum Break? Uncharted?

Zen Aku

Note: your opinion. Not saying they're great, but I don't have a problem with them. Neither do a number of other posters on here.

There's 'that could look better' and then there's 'HOLY FUCK GAME-BREAKER', which is what this thread seems to be implying.
Is it wrong that it's a deal breaker to some people?
I'll take any of those titles over anything ive seen in this thread.

You guys are amazing. Some of us actually do want them to fix some of these issues. I'm not sitting here clamoring the game is shit for it.

Don't you think there are far more productive ways to achieve that goal than memes? And again, that notion falls in the water when people bring up that slow-motion punch GIF. It's a development reality that corners get cut where corners are able to be cut, and one such cut corner is not obsessing over details that 100% of people won't notice in a normal state of play. Do we get upset that devs don't render the inside of a brick wall? Or that the inside of the player character is completely empty space when you do one of those camera glitch thingies?

I'm fully aware that some amount of negative discourse is ultimately a benefit to us as consumers, seeing as it gives incentive to developers to improve. I get that. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't take into account actual realities of game development when we here on GAF criticize a game for doing something. People are comparing the faces of this game - a game with apparently 1200 voiced NPC's - to games with not even a tenth of it, and expecting Andromeda to live up to the standards set by those games. And that's only one of many examples I could give. I personally was under the impression that discourse on this forum was to such a standard that people would take things like that into account.

If this was Madden, I wouldn't give a damn since they'll be in helmet 90% of the time and I'll mostly be looking at their butt.

Again, compared to what? If we're going by what Shinobi has said before, the game is likely 100 hours long. That's Horizon, twice over. Plus, it has a multiplayer component, and many more systems than Horizon. All that stuff eats into the budget of the game. Like, does Persona 5 or Zelda even have facial animation? They seem to be doing alright. And besides, we like games like the original Mass Effect well enough, and its animations are nowhere near as good.

you have a point. the facial animations were one of the lowpoints of Mass Effect 2 I remember when I was playing that, but, the rest of the game was SO good that even that was not a detriment to my overall experience.

that's true that it's his opinion and that a lot of people here are not bothered by the animations, but the fact is a lot of people also are. that would make a valid complaint I guess, but it goes both ways. however...this is just one piece/aspect of the product so for me at least I don't think it should affect player experience in the bigger picture of things, even though this game will be very dialogue and story heavy
i don't think anyone is immediately drawing comparisons to recent games, maybe they are, but it's all kinda mentally coming to them since all of these games are trying to look real.

cripterion

maxresdefault.jpg

I'll take the faces and hair of Battlefront mp characters over anything I've seen from the early portion of Andromeda bar a few notable faces. It's on the same engine too which is why it's so baffling here.

Jibbed

maxresdefault.jpg

I'll take the faces and hair of Battlefront mp characters over anything I've seen from the early portion of Andromeda bar a few notable faces. It's on the same engine too which is why it's so baffling here.

Using Battlefront as a point of comparison is arguably worse than the other games quoted.

DICE digitally scanned in ships, weapons and actors. And they also happen to be one of those developers well known for pushing visual boundaries.

ME:A looks better than any Bioware game before it.
inb4 cherry-picked DA:I / ME3 screenshot.

Top Bottom