• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Andromeda Graphical Downgrade

I'm watching the Giant Bomb stream and this game looks fucking TERRIBLE in the (facial) animation department. All the eyes are fucking dead and no one moves believably and most of the VO is terrible too.

I'm watching the Giant Bomb stream and this game looks fucking TERRIBLE in the (facial) animation department. All the eyes are fucking dead and no one moves believably and most of the VO is terrible too.

Wasn't one of the devs on Twitter saying that the face problems on FemRyder that we saw months ago were just because it wasn't finished yet? I feel like that's the kind of tweet they made while thinking, "oh fuck, oh fuck, it's much worse than just her face but I gotta put this fire out somehow."

I really don't get why they're releasing it like this. Should have been delayed. Considering the ME3 backlash this game needed to be great. Stuff like this will only further damage the brand.

And I don't care about downgrades. Just that animation and the general look of the characters is abysmal.

EA's Fiscal Year 2017 ends at the end of March. Gotta boost those numbers so you look good to investors and get your big bonus! Who cares about quality, those Mass Effect fans will buy whatever we make, regardless of how rushed it is.

Ah, yeah I think that's the case actually, I vaguely remember Grunt's intro cutscene showing him being huge, but then cutting to him in game being way less impressive.

Could be female too, though I can't remember how big they were in-game.

Looks like they vary his size.
In squad selection he was huge:
UStRO2sl.png

But in game he was shorter:
nmwMaL1l.jpg

Lime

I really don't get why they're releasing it like this. Should have been delayed. Considering the ME3 backlash this game needed to be great. Stuff like this will only further damage the brand.

And I don't care about downgrades. Just that animation and the general look of the characters is abysmal.

I could imagine EA were tired of giving more and more time for Andromeda after 5 years of development and simply told Bioware Montreal that they had to finish their project.

This also explains why it took so long for them to settle on a release date. Bioware might have asked for more time and EA wouldn't have it any longer, so it went back and forth until EA got its wish in some way or another.

But again, tales from my ass / pure speculation

Maledict

Can you mark that as a spoiler please? I just watched it and got spoiled on quite a big early element of the game.

And holy fuck how can the facial animations be that bad?

jelly

You know when they first teased a new Mass Effect, it seemed that they literally had nothing to show so don't think they've had this on the cooker too long with a full team, half baked idea ramped up to AAA with no Bioware of old behind it. It feels like they never had the right pitch but mass appeal was so strong they had to do something and ran with it. Mass Effect 3 didn't just leave a mark on the players, think Bioware have been spinning ever since.

Lime

GB Stream is saying that they're not feeling the characters at all because they just randomly fall in your lap. None of the characters are memorable so far with paper-thin characterization and cliché stereotypes. But that they're open that this might change the further they get into the game.

GB Stream is saying that they're not feeling the characters at all because they just randomly fall in your lap. None of the characters are memorable so far with paper-thin characterization and cliché stereotypes. But that they're open that this might change the further they get into the game.

Sounds like my thoughts after watching the first episode of Designated Survivor tonight.

Alienfan

The facial animation looks fine given how much dialogue is there, I can't think of any other open world game that does it better. Witcher 3 looked pretty bad too and Yakuza/Zelda pretty much avoid it altogether.

The voice acting seems like the bigger issue tbh

Slaythe

The facial animation looks fine given how much dialogue is there, I can't think of any other open world game that does it better. Witcher 3 looked pretty bad too or Yakuza.

Er Horizon shits on it and it wasn't even that good. Some npcs were bad but it also had great looking npcs.

jayu26

So just like Dragon Age Inquisition. Fuck.

Alienfan

Er Horizon shits on it and it wasn't even that good. Some npcs were bad but it also had great looking npcs.

Horizon wasn't very good either, same dead eye effect. It got worse the further you got away from the main missions. Good looking NPCs up until they opened their mouths

Top Bottom