• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda multiplayer DLC will be free

Did that ever happen in ME3 though?

It didn't for me, but I think a lot of that was because you couldn't really see what someone was using beyond their class until you were in the game. I don't know, I've just learned to never underestimate the typical internet user's ability to be an asshole.

Edit: Also, a lot of games with this kind of co-op gameplay have come out in the last five years. The community has probably evolved and expanded since then.

I like how they say it'll be like Mass Effect 3 MP - which was basically met with overwhelming acclaim...and some of the first few comments are comparing it to Dragon Age and not the last Mass Effect game. Always fun to read these Mass Effect threads.

Nielm

Sounds good, hopefully there will be weekly events like Mass Effect 3 had.

Operation 'Resurgence', etc.

Harlock

ME3 multiplayer had legs. I hope even more people play this time.

And the lobby loading times be better...

Except there's no PVP. It's all PVE.

Yeah, I don't mind getting dragged along through platinum matches and told to sit in this one spot and not die and get showered with XP and boxes. :D

Yup, DEMOLISHED.

While they're shooting the same AI enemy I am since there is no PvP.

Awful post.

Maybe I'm just really good at the game then because I've never been beaten in multiplayer once not even by a little bit.
Today I learned: type /s after what seems like a joke post :D

Real talk. I loved ME3 MP, played it constantly. If people want to buy packs and subsidize my free updates and maps then power to em! I'll keep riding the coat tails to victory

Schlorgan

Today I learned: type /s after what seems like a joke post :D

Real talk. I loved ME3 MP, played it constantly. If people want to buy packs and subsidize my free updates and maps then power to em! I'll keep riding the coat tails to victory
Gotcha.

I really only every played Bronze.

This reminds me...I never did end up getting Gold on all maps though :(

Might try mopping that up as a little warm up this weekend

Nice. I really want to do one last playthrough of ME3, but my 360 is at my parents house and they never released a version of ME3PC with all DLC, so I can't really justify it, I'll have to just wait on ME:A.

The multiplayer in me3 was one of those things I complained about the entire time, thinking it was a waste of development and then when I did finally play it I ate all the crow. This is wonderful news, even if the single player lets me down the multiplayer won't.

The reward loop and content release schedule/pricing (free) for ME3 MP kept me playing for months. Glad to hear they are trying to hold to that formula.

Best pricing model. I know some people will cry foul at any hint of microtransactions but I played 200 hours of ME3 multiplayer and didn't spend a dime. Every update that added more maps and characters was exciting.

Eh, if it's like ME3's I don't think there will really be any problems. I remember pretty much unlocking everything in that without spending a penny.

That was during loot crate infancy where publishers were stupid. You actually got rewarded fairly depending on the difficulty. Completed a gold? Here's enough credits for a spectre pack. Completed platinum? Here's enough for 2 spectre packs or 1 premium spectre pack.

5+ years laters there's no reason to reward people fairly. ME: A is going to be Completed Platinum? Here's barely enough credits for a basic pack but feel free to drop $20 on 10 crates

ironcreed

Banned
Sounds nice, but I am more interested in single player expansions. I will still mess around with the multiplayer a bit, though.

Mechazawa

In all fairness, I expect that there may be some gearcheck based bullying in public lobbies, depending on how much you can see before and during a match, especially on higher difficulties. You see it in most co-op games these days. I mean, tell me you haven't been kicked or seen someone kicked because of gearscore in wow, the division, or any other game with loot.
Why in the world do you think lobbies in a console coop, wave based shooter with matchmaking is going to have a kick function.

At worst, someone is going to whine about you and you won't be able to hear it because one of you is in a party chat.

Why in the world do you think lobbies in a console coop, wave based shooter with matchmaking is going to have a kick function.

At worst, someone is going to whine about you and you won't be able to hear it because one of you is in a party chat.

Yeah, that much is true. Good times. I love muting everyone. :)

hbkdx12

That was during loot crate infancy where publishers were stupid. You actually got rewarded fairly depending on the difficulty. Completed a gold? Here's enough credits for a spectre pack. Completed platinum? Here's enough for 2 spectre packs or 1 premium spectre pack.

5+ years laters there's no reason to reward people fairly. ME: A is going to be Completed Platinum? Here's barely enough credits for a basic pack but feel free to drop $20 on 10 crates
This is basically my concern. Loot boxes werent normalized back then. I can't imagine the drop rates being as fair as they were before.

Nekrono

I've seen a lot of people praising ME3 MP lately. Having not played the game I have to ask, what makes it so good?

I though it was just a horde mode or something like that.

That's really nice, now the single player DLC is going to be another thing......
Single-player has no microtransactions, so its DLC will not be free. They can afford to make MP DLC free because it's offset by the presence of microtransactions. Expect SP DLC to cost $15-$20 per pack.

Sai

I've seen a lot of people praising ME3 MP lately. Having not played the game I have to ask, what makes it so good?

It was a very well done horde mode.

There were a large variety of characters across each class with something different and unique to offer, along with a bunch of different ways to spec them out. Experimenting with all of that, seeing how certain kits synergize with others... It was a ton of fun.

Only problem was how random it was unlocking weapons and equipment. There were times where I was grinding in Gold matches for hours, spending millions of credits without a single weapon drop. I hope that they'll offer packs with guaranteed unlocks, similar to how Halo 5 handles its REQ packs.

Need that M-99 Saber ASAP!

Jamaro85

Kinda, but horde mode with ME game mechanics and enemies is so good. Additionally it was really addictive because of the weapon acquisition system. You opened item packs to get weapons, but new weapons started at level one and were leveled by finding more of them in packs. Currency could be purchased with real money but it never felt like pay to win because you could earn adequately just by playing (I never spent a dime but got everything I wanted eventually aside from maxing elite weapons). Even after maxing out weapons the MP still never got old because of the DLC. New maps were introduced, variants of the existing maps in the form of environmental hazards that added difficulty, and an altogether higher level of difficulty once BioWare realized people were tearing through the highest difficulty with ease. They even added new characters that had different skills than the existing ones. MP in ME3 was an unexpected gem that added so much value to the game.

I never thought about this but you could be right here. Hope not though!

_woLf

Can't wait to spend money so I can play as an asari just to get every single race/class combination besides a god damn asari

AGAIN

BioWare actually mentioned they are improving the RNG for the loot crates as ME3 could get a tad too grindy for some stuff.
Sure you could say that's PR talk, but your guess is as good as anyone's, so all we can do is wait and see.

LNBL

Kinda, but horde mode with ME game mechanics and enemies is so good. Additionally it was really addictive because of the weapon acquisition system. You opened item packs to get weapons, but new weapons started at level one and were leveled by finding more of them in packs. Currency could be purchased with real money but it never felt like pay to win because you could earn adequately just by playing (I never spent a dime but got everything I wanted eventually aside from maxing elite weapons). Even after maxing out weapons the MP still never got old because of the DLC. New maps were introduced, variants of the existing maps in the form of environmental hazards that added difficulty, and an altogether higher level of difficulty once BioWare realized people were tearing through the highest difficulty with ease. They even added new characters that had different skills than the existing ones. MP in ME3 was an unexpected gem that added so much value to the game.

I never thought about this but you could be right here. Hope not though!

It was a very well done horde mode.

There were a large variety of characters across each class with something different and unique to offer, along with a bunch of different ways to spec them out. Experimenting with all of that, seeing how certain kits synergize with others... It was a ton of fun.

Only problem was how random it was unlocking weapons and equipment. There were times where I was grinding in Gold matches for hours, spending millions of credits without a single weapon drop. I hope that they'll offer packs with guaranteed unlocks, similar to how Halo 5 handles its REQ packs.

Need that M-99 Saber ASAP!

Could not have said it better myself, loved ME3 mp

Laiza

This is 90% of the reason I'm even looking at buying Andromeda at launch. Loved ME3's multiplayer and I'm certain I'll love Andromeda's even more.

Gonna be pouring hours into this one!

Top Bottom