• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PAX Livestream

Lime

Looking through the PAX Stream, I find it kind of disappointing that Bioware didn't account for mesh clipping with the exploration vehicle when using one its primary mechanics:

LoKyltO

I liked most of what I saw though, especially the exploration aspect and the environmental hazards shown.

There will be bugs. Animation bugs, quest bugs, graphics bugs, audio bugs, loot bugs; all kids of bugs. It'll be a bug buffet. Not because of BioWare exclusively, but because I cannot think of a single massive ARPG like this that didn't launch with an impressive assortment of bugs.

Regardless of how "ready" the game is at launch, anybody remotely cautious of bugs would lose nothing waiting a few months after launch for the most stable and bug free build. I have zero regrets picking up The Witcher 3 at launch, but there's no denying how many bugs were squashed and general QOL improvements were added all these months later.

If you're worried, just wait.

True, but I wasn't saying that it might not get fixed later, but that if the bugs are so bad that they'll repeatedly show up in marketing material, I guess I'm worried that the final product will be worse than the standard level of presentation that other RPGs have (even Dragon Inquisition)

Huh. Apparently ME:A's character customization is way more extensive than the first three games since Ryder isn't military. According to Game Informer, "In one instance, I successfully made a Ryder with a shoulder-length purple mullet and multiple face tattoos."

lol

i-Lo

Man, why are bioware incapable of making decent looking female human faces? The fem Ryder looks so weird compared to her real world model counterpart. Hope that their character customization is up to the job.

o3LdxGI.jpg

t3_5yq7x1.png

Look at the two guns.

Look at them again.

If you still aren't sure what's happening.

Pellesaria B'Sayle is holding her gun backwards.

Wow, how in the world can you fuck this up...

Rellik

Huh. Apparently ME:A's character customization is way more extensive than the first three games since Ryder isn't military. According to Game Informer, "In one instance, I successfully made a Ryder with a shoulder-length purple mullet and multiple face tattoos."

lol

Just as long as it's better than the POS we got in DA:I. I love that game, but every character looked the same.

Man...I'm as big a Bioware fanboy as they come and am often overly optimistic...but this game is not going to score well, is it? 😳

Honestly upset that these issues are the focus before release after 5 years dev time. It's hard to blame the trolls though. It's too easy 😕

Can't help but think that Unreal engine should have been stuck with for ME. It looked great, and it felt great. Now things look incredibly unnatural in cutscenes. If you think scenes felt this unnatural in ME2/3, I'm not sure what to say to you.

Bug fixers going to have to work their magic and I feel for them.

i-Lo

Man...I'm as big a Bioware fanboy as they come and am often overly optimistic...but this game is not going to score well, is it? ��

Honestly upset that these issues are the focus before release after 5 years dev time. It's hard to blame the trolls though. It's too easy ��

Can't help but think that Unreal engine should have been stuck with for ME.

I have had the game preordered the day it was announced (PS4) and now I'm seriously reconsidering paying CAD$79 for a game that may become a better product post patches (as has now become the norm for this fucking industry) and at a discount.

prag16

Banned
Man...I'm as big a Bioware fanboy as they come and am often overly optimistic...but this game is not going to score well, is it? 😳

Honestly upset that these issues are the focus before release after 5 years dev time. It's hard to blame the trolls though. It's too easy 😕

Can't help but think that Unreal engine should have been stuck with for ME.
I think it will score well. Nitpicking by the likes of gaf and /v/ probably aren't a good indicator of the game's overall quality or its success. But yeah, I'd like to have seen what they would have done with UE4.

I think it will score well. Nitpicking by the likes of gaf and /v/ probably aren't a good indicator of the game's overall quality or its success. But yeah, I'd like to have seen what they would have done with UE4.

I hope you're right I really do. I'm just concerned about my favorite game creators.

Axiology

I'm watching this now and I'm not feeling it at all.

Part of what makes this feel like a soulless, corporate entry is all the cheesy quips between the characters. I feel like I'm watching Avengers 2 or something. This mission is a lot better than Peebee's Dora the Explorer one, but Liam's only slightly less annoying. "Yeah, let's charge in without any thought! I don't understand why my plan isn't working!"

Thankfully the gameplay shows that you actually can get cut down if you're out of cover for too long, but the combat seems unfocused and WAY less tactical than the earlier entries. They say they tried to make this one less of a cover-to-cover shooter this time, but I never heard anyone complain about that before. For me the tactical elements were what made ME2 such an addictive game.

Ooccoo

Might be worth it in a year. Game doesn't look good, too many things bother me (animations, DA:I syndrome, etc.)

Part of what makes this feel like a soulless, corporate entry is all the cheesy quips between the characters.

Can't lie I felt like this too. It didn't feel ME in that way to me personally. Felt like they were trying to make me laugh in a very forced way over and over again.

I get that they're taking a light hearted approach post trilogy, but it just didn't feel at all like an ME script to me. If the script is going to have corny jokes trying to be made that often, I'm very concerned. So honestly ironic because what I disliked most about ME3 was lack of levity (and hub worlds)

Guess it's all about quality writing. We'll soon find out, and I truly hope it's well done overall.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wow, how in the world can you fuck this up...

To be frank, this is a 1 sec clip in a game that coud potentially last 100 hours if you do everything. For all we know, that bug could be hard to fix and they figured it wasn't worth spending a whole day trying to fix it when most people would not notice it.
Or it could be fixed in the day 1 patch or a further one.

Garlador

Might be worth it in a year. Game doesn't look good, too many things bother me (animations, DA:I syndrome, etc.)

Ugh. I hate being here myself. I'm a HUGE Mass Effect fan! I'm replaying the trilogy right now! I even am okay with the Tali photo and ME3 ending post-Extended Cut!

I've pre-ordered every single Collector's Edition. I've bought every single DLC. I've replayed the games a half-dozen times. I have Mass Effect art hanging on my walls. I own the art books. I bought the comics. I played the mobile tie-in games.

... And I haven't mustered up the gumption to pre-order Andromeda. I'm still just too iffy on it after everything I've seen, and the fact that I'm NOT totally in love with it and probably won't get it at launch is bothering me, because I seriously want to but I've seen enough to give me heavy pause.

"The next trailer will do it", I tell myself, Andromeda's shopping page on Amazon pulled up and my finger over the pre-order button. But it doesn't, and I save it for later. I've gone through this process for months now.

Still haven't committed. And as a tried and true fan of Mass Effect and Bioware, my hesitation is making me analyze what exactly is making me wait and what about the game is rubbing me the wrong way. It's... interesting to reflect on that.

Staf

Looking through the PAX Stream, I find it kind of disappointing that Bioware didn't account for mesh clipping with the exploration vehicle when using one its primary mechanics:

LoKyltO

That's a really weird thing to miss...

Is it bad the real reason I'm getting this is to just play multiplayer? Hearing that it's just ME3's multiplayer expanded a bit is enough for me to be excited. That's really the only thing I care about seeing.

Also, any of you guys getting it on PC? If so we should team up when it comes out.

hydruxo

I'm a little bit worried about the soundtrack. John Paesano's previous work doesn't exactly instill confidence. ME has always had amazing music.

GavinUK86

Man...I'm as big a Bioware fanboy as they come and am often overly optimistic...but this game is not going to score well, is it? ��

Honestly upset that these issues are the focus before release after 5 years dev time. It's hard to blame the trolls though. It's too easy ��

Can't help but think that Unreal engine should have been stuck with for ME. It looked great, and it felt great. Now things look incredibly unnatural in cutscenes. If you think scenes felt this unnatural in ME2/3, I'm not sure what to say to you.

Bug fixers going to have to work their magic and I feel for them.

Nah you just need to step out of the Gaf echo chamber. Most people love what they've played. Just a bunch of people here love talking shit about Bioware games.

I'm predicting a 85-90 easily. They've been working on it a long time and it looks like a throwback to ME1 which is what they needed to do.

We'll see later on this week with the trial, which I'll be playing on PC.

cripterion

Nah you just need to step out of the Gaf echo chamber. Most people love what they've played. Just a bunch of people here love talking shit about Bioware games.

I'm predicting a 85-90 easily. They've been working on it a long time and it looks like a throwback to ME1 which is what they needed to do.

We'll see later on this week with the trial, which I'll be playing on PC.

I took a look over Reddit and it's not pretty there too... I don't think it's just Neogaf.

Basketball

What's this whole hubub about Bioware purposefully making females ugly in the game

any truth to it ?

because looking at a few videos and screenshots of the crew and welp looking kinda true.

Femryder definitely looks weird compared to the face model. Looking at all the female in the past most of them look garbage face wise besides Liara maybe.

Vamphuntr

Character creator looks hilarious (from reddit).

The complaining about the female Ryder is getting old. I think it's obvious at this point tat they've put more attention on the male version because their stats showed most people played male Shepard in ME3. So yeah it's rough and awkward but it's one of the few games where it gives you an option. Considering the amount of voice acting and animation in the game it's nice of them to be progressive.

I've spent more than 1000 hours in ME3 mp, easily the biggest amount if time I've spent in a game in my entire gaming history.

To me, ME3 has a much more compelling allure in its MP than SP. Hopefully MEA can replicate that.

I got more enjoyment out of it than even gears 3, which is stellar accomplishment imo.
Here's my profile for good measure

Is it bad the real reason I'm getting this is to just play multiplayer? Hearing that it's just ME3's multiplayer expanded a bit is enough for me to be excited. That's really the only thing I care about seeing.

Nope, it's the primary reason I'm getting the game, SP is literally the fun extra for me here.
It's also the reason why, for the first time, I'm just getting the standard edition of the game. I really don't care about those extra mp crates, when I know I'm going to be playing this for a long time.
The only SP thing I want is the gold nomad skin and that's for pre-purchase anyway.

I just get this weird feeling bioware lack confidence as a studio. They spend s lot of time discussing how much they've learned from Skyrim or The Witcher, but they don't seem a studio set in innovation anymore. They are a company based upon imitation and it showed with DA:I and it's starting to show with this game.

I hope I am wrong but biiware seem really behind the curve these days.

J_Viper

What's this whole hubub about Bioware purposefully making females ugly in the game

any truth to it ?

because looking at a few videos and screenshots of the crew and welp looking kinda true.

Femryder definitely looks weird compared to the face model. Looking at all the female in the past most of them look garbage face wise besides Liara maybe.

Cora is fine, it's Sara and PB that are the tragic disasters.

I'm hoping Sara can be fixed through the CC. Pb though, there is no hope.

LexW

Neo Member
I just get this weird feeling bioware lack confidence as a studio. They spend s lot of time discussing how much they've learned from Skyrim or The Witcher, but they don't seem a studio set in innovation anymore. They are a company based upon imitation and it showed with DA:I and it's starting to show with this game.

I hope I am wrong but biiware seem really behind the curve these days.

I don't think it's really true or fair at all to suggest that they don't innovate. Every ME game innovated, hardcore. DA:O was a sort of innovative throwback, DA2 was extremely innovative and daring (it's problems weren't from that, but from an 18-month dev cycle on a game that needed more like three years), and even DA:I tried an awful lot of new stuff, even if it didn't work out.

Prior to every game they've made endless comparisons, too, ME they were endlessly describing in terms of other games, or as "24 in space" or the like. DA:O they constantly compared to BG and so on.

Again, though, the real question is whether what they will try will work out? Every other game except ME2 has a lot of places where they tried stuff and it failed (this is why ME2 got such glowing reviews and is generally well-regarded, because nothing in it doesn't work or doesn't further the game - some might be imperfect, but nothing is a failure, unlike other Bioware games), so it'll be interesting to see how much works and doesn't work with ME:A.

Worst case scenario is likely that we get an okay space-CRPG (in a genre that has... no other entries at all...) attached to an almost certainly excellent Horde-mode MP.

Certainly people kind of want/expect it to fail, whether consciously or not. Problems like the clipping issue above are constant in virtually every game, but no-one would bother to gif them to point them out. Most of it seems to originate with /v/ and various SJW-haters, too, even if it enters the mainstream by less awful individuals, which is interesting.

Unless the CC is completely different to all Bioware CC previously (and people who've used it seem to hint that it's like a version of the DA:I CC with more options), we'll be able to get decent faces out of it.

diaspora

I don't think it's really true or fair at all to suggest that they don't innovate. Every ME game innovated, hardcore. DA:O was a sort of innovative throwback, DA2 was extremely innovative and daring (it's problems weren't from that, but from an 18-month dev cycle on a game that needed more like three years), and even DA:I tried an awful lot of new stuff, even if it didn't work out.

Prior to every game they've made endless comparisons, too, ME they were endlessly describing in terms of other games, or as "24 in space" or the like. DA:O they constantly compared to BG and so on.

Again, though, the real question is whether what they will try will work out? Every other game except ME2 has a lot of places where they tried stuff and it failed (this is why ME2 got such glowing reviews and is generally well-regarded, because nothing in it doesn't work or doesn't further the game - some might be imperfect, but nothing is a failure, unlike other Bioware games), so it'll be interesting to see how much works and doesn't work with ME:A.

Worst case scenario is likely that we get an okay space-CRPG (in a genre that has... no other entries at all...) attached to an almost certainly excellent Horde-mode MP.

Certainly people kind of want/expect it to fail, whether consciously or not. Problems like the clipping issue above are constant in virtually every game, but no-one would bother to gif them to point them out. Most of it seems to originate with /v/ and various SJW-haters, too, even if it enters the mainstream by less awful individuals, which is interesting.

Some idiot is going to shit their pants in impotent rage because you called Mass Effect a CRPG.

I just know it.

Harlequin

Haha, just goes to show how subjective this whole thing is. I think Peebee's face looks far less off than Sara's or Cora's. Cora has that really weird cartoon character look about her that doesn't seem consistent with the overall art style. That being said, it's not just female characters who look a tad weird. Scott's default face looks a bit strange, too, and so does Gill's (one of the crew members who was shown in the recent Tempest crew video). Out of the human Andromeda characters I've seen so far, Alec's and Liam's faces seem to be the only ones that don't feel at least a little bit off. At the end of the day, though, I don't think it's that big a deal but it is noticeable, I suppose.

pmj

It has been pretty weird, and sometimes sad, how people have been complaining about Sara's face. Critics in general can't agree on what exactly is wrong, with old arguments disappearing and new being invented in cycles. Remember how it was all about her jaw being all wrong? Nobody says that anymore.

Now some say it's that how she's always smiling. Even though looking through the videos released that's plainly not true.

I can't help thinking that most really just want her to be more dolled up and attractive. Just look at Basketball's post above, and at the recent praise of the pathetic default femshep in ME3 where she looked less like an elite soldier and more like a girl still in high school in heavy make-up.

Staf

I took a look over Reddit and it's not pretty there too... I don't think it's just Neogaf.

I tend to rotate between GAF, Reddit and Escapist. I think GAF is a lot more kinder to this, and most games tbh, than the others. Might be wrong though. I like what i'm seeing of ME so far overall, so i'm excited. But i can't remember a game that's been so sloppy when it comes to what they are showing before release than ME.

LexW

Neo Member
In all the ME games once you realised how dumb af these guys are in combat you gave them the most accurate weapon in your arsenal and were done with it.
Liara in ME1, didn't even have a type of gun she was good at.

I had hoped weapons aren't fixed, we knew armor was.

In ME1 most accurate is correct, but in ME2/3 you pick based on other characteristics, but basically it's a fairly mindless choice, and that's what you're right about.

In ME2 and ME3, the squadmates don't suffer from recoil, have infinite ammo, are pretty accurate, have no concept of "range" or "spread" and do not charge up weapons, so you can give them weapons that are "balanced" by bad recoil or being ammo hungry, and they'll do great, but they're fairly rubbish with charge-up weapons, or weapons which have spreading shots (like most shotguns - this is in contrast to ME1 where they're pretty good with shotguns).

Re: ME:A, I think if the weapons they have are good enough this is disappointing, but may not be a huge deal. Especially if, as Ian Frazier has specifically said, they've tweaked the AI for the characters based on those weapons, allowing them to play smarter (some weapons just make ME2/3 characters into idiots). Hopefully Drack will, for example, understand his shotgun isn't awesome at long range.

LexW

Neo Member
Some idiot is going to shit their pants in impotent rage because you called Mass Effect a CRPG.

I just know it.

I know, I know they will, but I've played CRPGs since the 1980s (and guess what - they'd been 3D and realtime since then - I played Dungeon Master in 1988, for example!), and I've DM'd pen and paper RPGs since the 1980s (and I still do), so when people try to tell me a game like ME "isn't an RPG", whilst insisting that various ridiculous games are, I just laugh. I just laugh more they earnestly explain that all RPGs involve dice-rolls, or all RPGs involve inventory management or allow you to directly control multiple character or the like. I mean good god...

No CRPG/WRPG/JRPG really emulates pen and paper roleplaying, but all of them nail aspects of it, and the ME series has nailed a lot of them - more than most.

J_Viper

It has been pretty weird, and sometimes sad, how people have been complaining about Sara's face. Critics in general can't agree on what exactly is wrong, with old arguments disappearing and new being invented in cycles. Remember how it was all about her jaw being all wrong? Nobody says that anymore.

Now some say it's that how she's always smiling. Even though looking through the videos released that's plainly not true.

I can't help thinking that most really just want her to be more dolled up and attractive. Just look at Basketball's post above, and at the recent praise of the pathetic default femshep in ME3 where she looked less like an elite soldier and more like a girl still in high school in heavy make-up.

There isn't really a science to it, she just looks bad, especially compared to the actual girl Bioware was basing her off.

And is there really something wrong with preferring attractive characters in a fantasy game?

Rellik

There isn't really a science to it, she just looks bad, especially compared to the actual girl Bioware was basing her off.

And is there really something wrong with preferring attractive characters in a fantasy game?

That's why there's a character creator.

pmj

You can have whatever preferences you want, but if it's really down to attractiveness I wish people would just say so.

There are certainly discussions that can be had around animations and even problems with face structure, but it's hard when you don't know where people are coming from. Is it bad because it's bad, or is it bad because she's not as bangable as you'd like?

While i haven't seen too much gameplay yet (will watch the stream later when i can), is whether this will be a "Ubisoft-style" open world game a concern to anyone else? By that i mean a large, mostly empty open world filled with repetitive, barely engaging content, enemies placed randomly and overall being quite bland and lifeless where a huge part of the gameplay is basically doing the same thing just to tick boxes until you reach a certain point. I might be wrong but that's sort of the impression i've got from some of the other things i've seen of it.

LexW

Neo Member

There's something wrong with DEMANDING the default character be physically attractive TO YOU in a game with full character creation, especially when you are playing a character of the opposite gender.

I mean, imagine if male lead characters in games were subject to the same sort of "She doesn't make MY dick hard so she's ugly and the designers are bad people!" criticism female characters routinely are?

But you do have to imagine it, because they aren't. The world is full of fairly ugly, unattractive male characters, who instead of being "hot" have faces "with character" or even some cases, are just ugly fuckers (Kratos, Marcus Fenix). I mean, can you imagine if you tried to make a game with the female equivalent of Marcus Fenix - raddled, lined, scared, with a head that's a fundamentally ridiculous shape, a terrible fucking bandana, and instead of awful, shameful facial hair, let's say, really stupid makeup.

You'd never, ever hear the end of it.

Yet who even critiques Fenix or Kratos' looks? Pretty much no-one.

And anyway, as noted, because there's chargen, you have the option of making a main character to perv on, so whinging that the default doesn't get your engine revving seems particularly extra-lame.

While i haven't seen too much gameplay yet (will watch the stream later when i can), is whether this will be a "Ubisoft-style" open world game a concern to anyone else? By that i mean a large, mostly empty open world filled with repetitive, barely engaging content, enemies placed randomly and overall being quite bland and lifeless where a huge part of the gameplay is basically doing the same thing just to tick boxes until you reach a certain point. I might be wrong but that's sort of the impression i've got from some of the other things i've seen of it.

It doesn't seem to have been a complaint from people who have played it, and didn't seem that way in the livestreams, but it's always a possibility.

That's the thing with open worlds - the line between letting you choose what to do and filling the world with pointless content is pretty damn narrow. TW3 occupies both sides of it, for example, but ends up being thought of fondly because enough of the content doesn't feel pointless.

Shadow of Mordor is another interesting example, because whilst it's full of pretty much what you describe, the gameplay and just the way the game works serves to actually make it pretty engaging (until towards the end when you get totally OP, anyway).

I seriously doubt the enemies will feel like they were "placed randomly". Even with all of DA:I's flaws, it didn't give that vibe.

prag16

Banned
Sara and PB that are the tragic disasters.

Nah, that's not overly dramatic or absurdly hyperbolic.

Personally I think both of them are fine. Not great, and could be better obviously. But fine. "Tragic disasters." Geez. Step away from the internet for a few minutes.

Ralemont

not me

Part of what makes this feel like a soulless, corporate entry is all the cheesy quips between the characters. I feel like I'm watching Avengers 2 or something. This mission is a lot better than Peebee's Dora the Explorer one, but Liam's only slightly less annoying. "Yeah, let's charge in without any thought! I don't understand why my plan isn't working!"

Thankfully the gameplay shows that you actually can get cut down if you're out of cover for too long, but the combat seems unfocused and WAY less tactical than the earlier entries. They say they tried to make this one less of a cover-to-cover shooter this time, but I never heard anyone complain about that before. For me the tactical elements were what made ME2 such an addictive game.

As far as the combat, the ME3 multiplayer really demonstrated how much relying on cover was holding ME combat back from being something even better than itself. Moving away from cover as the only option into a situation where it's one option among several is a smart move, and I think MEA will demonstrate a generation-sized leap over ME3 when it comes to the combat.

As far as the quips, that's been a BioWare thing since BG2 and has nothing to do with corporations, and as far as I'm concerned is the opposite of soulless. On the contrary, party banter is one of the BW fanbases's favorite things about the games and makes the characters feel alive. If you don't like Joss Whedon humor and dialogue style, though, I suppose you could simply not like it, but portraying it as part of a checklist EA is doing to sell games or something is way off base.

Nah, that's not overly dramatic or absurdly hyperbolic.

Personally I think both of them are fine. Not great, and could be better obviously. But fine. "Tragic disasters." Geez. Step away from the internet for a few minutes.

I really like PB's design, especially the raccoon stripe. On the sides of her head it kinds tapers off into a wing shape and gives it some nice style.

But wasn't the animation better in DA:I? Or did they simply do a better job hiding it with the camera angles/distance? I remember not having any issues with the animation in DA:I besides the gorilla walk the female protagonist had occasionally. I really thought it would only get better in ME:A given that DA:I was the first game they did on the new engine.

I don't think DAI animation was "better" but it was more muted with fewer things going on. Animations were more subtle when they happened and they didn't have the weird lip movement bug that's going on in this MEA footage. I think the difference is MEA is really trying for complex facial movements and they are sometimes failing, which makes it look worse. DAI is kind of more in the "KOTOR" camp where there's an angry face, a happy face, etc etc.

pmj

Not really. Bioware has been warding off such questions by talking about their focus on story and areas being handcrafted.

And even if that turns out to just be straight up lies, the story won't be gated by any of that busywork.

Beyond anything I need to get my hands on it to see how it is, no matter of gameplay footage or quirks, glitches, impressions is gonna do anything for me until I play the trial. Like I get the negative reactions, but also the positive feedback but need to judge it for myself.

Not really. Bioware has been warding off such questions by talking about their focus on story and areas being handcrafted.

And even if that turns out to just be straight up lies, the story won't be gated by any of that busywork.

My concern isn't so much the story being gated off behind that, but rather the "main" aspect of the gameplay itself being overall filler content.

i-Lo

Character creator looks hilarious (from reddit).

The complaining about the female Ryder is getting old. I think it's obvious at this point tat they've put more attention on the male version because their stats showed most people played male Shepard in ME3. So yeah it's rough and awkward but it's one of the few games where it gives you an option. Considering the amount of voice acting and animation in the game it's nice of them to be progressive.

That character does show off good potential of the creator tool set.

Also, it's not the first time Bioware has screwed up human female faces. They did Asari version just fine. I think it comes down the skin shader they used as well as the hair. Jack from ME2 looked better than Miranda, Chobot's character, Ashley et al for me due to her lack of hair. I am not trying to be a jerk here but I thought that they'd have improved things by now given that their male models fair comparatively better. Perhaps, the inclusion of facial hair/stubble helps a lot.

But yeah, at the least, this time they got a model to be the face of fem shep unlike the first three games.

I question whether putting more effort into your male character model because more people play males is "progressive", whatever progressive means in this context. If you imagine that people aren't playing female characters because the female character's half-assed, then they're just perpetuating the problem.

Top Bottom