• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PAX Livestream

Third one looks kind of okay? But, in my opinion, from an aesthetic standpoint, I think the original trilogy faces were more believable. Not necessarily more appealing (some of the original trilogy faces were pretty jank) but more believable in their environment.

latest

Really?

Anyway, they've also got these "aliens" to worry about, you know. If they weren't in the game, then I'm sure we could have more variation in the human faces.

Again, I don't work in the video games industry, but I'm pretty sure making a game doesn't work like "I want thing" and you get it.

cripterion

You've just shown me 4 pretty distinct looking human faces, so I don't really see what your point is here. Which characteristic makes these faces look "generic" to you, exactly?

Hard to put it into words but these are the faces I would expect for a random sidequest npc not people that you interact with multiple times and that are part of your main crew.

They look like they spent 5 minutes in the character creator making them and called it a day.

This.
That's why I first said it reminds me of fifa generic create a character face

And arguably some of these even look better.

eot

Banned
Was checking the Andromeda initiative briefing videos to get more info on the game (and get myself immersed prior to launch). It's really well done and explains quite a few things about the voyage, how it is possible, etc..
Reading the codex will be a pleasure in the game cause they seem to have put effort into the background and well they do still have a pre-established lore to back them up. On the other hand some things still look poor like character models, I mean these are supposed to be important NPC's : they are the Nexus leadership and look at them

Director of Colonial Affairs: Foster Addison
large.img.jpg

Nexus Security: Sloane Kelly
large.img.jpg

Are these placeholders or they'll actually be the actual NPC's we have to deal with?
I really hope the game will be in some ways moddable on pc cause some of these things are really dragging down the game for me.

This reminds me of Deus Ex: Invisible War :S

A-V-B

latest

Really?

Anyway, they've also got these "aliens" to worry about, you know. If they weren't in the game, then I'm sure we could have more variation in the human faces.

Again, I don't work in the video games industry, but I'm pretty sure making a game doesn't work like "I want thing" and you get it.

Yes, it's really what I believe. That the characters, while looking jank, were more believable, in my opinion, when compared to their environment. That picture is exactly how I remember human NPCs looking and does not deter me.

Yes, it's really what I believe. That the characters, while looking jank, were more believable, in my opinion, when compared to their environment. That picture is exactly how I remember human NPCs looking and does not deter me.

Well, they almost objectively look like shit, so I don't know what you want me to tell you.

A-V-B

Well, they almost objectively look like shit, so I don't know what you want me to tell you.

While I was playing, I knew they didn't look great. I keep telling you that I think they look jank. I always have. But in motion, compared to the environment, they didn't bug me.

I don't know why we're arguing about aesthetic opinion when that's an abyss of disagreement that will literally never end.

While I was playing, I knew they didn't look great. I keep telling you that I think they look jank. I always have. But in motion, compared to the environment, they didn't bug me.

I don't know why we're arguing about aesthetic opinion when that's an abyss of disagreement that will literally never end.

True dat.

That being said though, how can you judge the believability of "them compared to their environment, while you were playing" when you haven't played the game yet? And well, I'm not even sure what "more believable in their environment" even means. Are you saying the environments looked equally shit? That seems like a weird thing to make a distinction about.

A-V-B

True dat.

That being said though, how can you judge the believability of "them compared to their environment, while you were playing" when you haven't played the game yet? And well, I'm not even sure what "more believable in their environment" even means. Are you saying the environments looked equally shit? That seems like a weird thing to make a distinction about.

At the time, considering the tech available in 2007, I actually found a few aspects of the character animation impressive -- namely the way their eyes tracked the player, and their movements and gesticulations while talking. It kind of balanced out the jankiness of NPC design.

Same thing doesn't hold up with Andromeda. The way they "come to life" kinda creeps me out now. I'd say that's the main difference, for me.

pmj

It's nice, isn't it, to always have "You are a sexist" card in your pocket to throw at whenever you see someone criticizing her face.

Her face looked weird, her face animated weird, but apparently that is not something exclusive to her only in this game, it's just that she's one of the leading mains so the effect is much more pronounced.

I didn't say that wanting pretty girls in your games makes you a sexist. I can relate, I like pretty girls too. But I do think it's a bit sad if that's why you're here bashing Sara's looks, especially if you neglect to mention that that's what it's about.

And about faces...

I think these two are fine, even though they're clearly straight out of the character editor and not scans of real people. With a cast of 1200 characters, I never expected anything else.

Edit: How do you make the images appear smaller? This clearly didn't turn out right.

Hm, I think I got it.

I didn't say that wanting pretty girls in your games makes you a sexist. I can relate, I like pretty girls too. But I do think it's a bit sad if that's why you're here bashing Sara's looks, especially if you neglect to mention that that's what it's about.

And about faces...

I think these two are fine, even though they're clearly straight out of the character editor and not scans of real people. With a cast of 1200 characters, I never expected anything else.

Edit: How do you make the images appear smaller? This clearly didn't turn out right.

Put the image in a quote, like this: ["QUOTE starts"] ["Img starts"] URL [ "/IMG ends"]["QUOTE ENDS"]

EDIT: You got it :)

Well hell, you're right. 1200 speaking characters. I'd like for anyone to show me a game that has over a thousand speaking characters, and that also somehow has better better facial animation and "less generic" character models, whatever that means in a game with alien NPC's.

eizarus

Banned
Sigh. Just a few days ago I wrote that u was cautious and wanted to wait for the hype to die down post release before I took the plunge. However, the hype is starting to build for me too and I'm just sitting here convincing myself not to buy it day one. I really don't have the time for another huge game.

cripterion

Well hell, you're right. 1200 speaking characters. I'd like for anyone to show me a game that has over a thousand speaking characters, and that also somehow has better better facial animation and "less generic" character models, whatever that means in a game with alien NPC's.

I don't think Horizon has that many speaking characters but the faces look much more believable, individual human beings as a whole and even side characters met for a brief side quest had a distinct face. Witcher 3 as well.
I have no beef with the aliens, by design they're are meant to be similar.

Anyways, didn't mean to pile on the game that much more, I'm very much looking forward to play it. My expectations on certain aspects were maybe too high.

Are we expecting the female Ryder trailer to release today?

And that short clip of mp gameplay looks good, about what I expected really. Can you use your jetpack to jump around in mp?

pmj

Are we expecting the female Ryder trailer to release today?

And that short clip of mp gameplay looks good, about what I expected really. Can you use your jetpack to jump around in mp?

You can, and one preview mentioned a map with plenty of verticality and zipping around between levels. Sounds good.

Was the full multiplayer reveal supposed to be up on wednesday or was that just something I imagined?

You can, and one preview mentioned a map with plenty of verticality and zipping around between levels. Sounds good.

Was the full multiplayer reveal supposed to be up on wednesday or was that just something I imagined?

Yes you can use the jetpack in MP.

I would think you can do the same as in the sp.
This preview talks about it

http://www.mmorpg.com/mass-effect-a...ast-2017-hands-on-with-multiplayer-1000011602

Thanks. Good to know. Going to be interesting with the added verticality.

Third one looks kind of okay? But, in my opinion, from an aesthetic standpoint, I think the original trilogy faces were more believable. Not necessarily more appealing (some of the original trilogy faces were pretty jank) but more believable in their environment.
The original trilogy not only copied a bunch but had pretty much the same generic faces.

I understand having grown tired of things like that that but I don't get holding ME 1 through 3 to a standard that's much higher than the games were.

prag16

Banned
It was the same in the original trilogy. Humans looked bad most of the time while the aliens were great. Seems like a tradition almost.
Yeah. Pretty much. Human side characters in the trilogy were far worse than this.

And our of those four, one the second one looks outright bad. The other three are fine.

Mifec

How can a company with so much budget mess this up so often or just make such constantly drab and weird animations?

f38.gif

One of them is not official but at this point it's becoming hard to tell.

Daily reminder CDPR made over 7000 new animations for Blood and Wine.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Stop picking on Mass Effect you guys :(

I want Andromeda to be good. Let me dreaaaaaaaaaaaaam !

If you really believe that then just wait to play the game.

metalshade

Ok, now who told them to let this shit get in a trailer? There's no way they can put that in the final game, right? "Excuse me while I slowly move your gun out of the way and point mine at you, kind sir."

CDPR really put their heart into that game.

Pretty sure she is actually turning his own gun on him, not unholstering her own.
But yeah, whilst the animations might be buggy, and look terrible, at this point, I don't give a damn.
It has been years since I have played a mass effect, and I am in, graphics and the like be damned.

Keasar

Ok, now who told them to let this shit get in a trailer? There's no way they can put that in the final game, right? "Excuse me while I slowly move your gun out of the way and point mine at you, kind sir."

CDPR really put their heart into that game.

The gif is slowed down so it's not full speed. And she is disarming an opponent and turning his gun back against him. Problem is it is such a wonky and slobbery animation of her grabbing the gun, flipping it around for a second while looking stonefaced as fuck and then do a tiny cocky smile while finally bringing it up.

Personally I would have just asked the animators "Watch Rush Hour, use that."
giphy.gif

prag16

Banned

That's slowed way down, first of all. Second of all, it's not even that bad. That little smug smirk really pissed so many people off that much that it's still a frequent topic of discussion several weeks later? Third, the Jackie Chan one is solid, but I guarantee if they had her make the face he makes after the disarm, people here would have still cried about it loudly.

Yawnny

https://prod-media-masseffect.pulse.ea.com/content/masseffect/en_GB/andromeda-initiative/training-hub/arks-and-nexus/nexus-leadership/_jcr_content/mediaGallery/media/media/asset/adaptiveimage/large.img.jpg[/IMG]

large.img.jpg

Are these placeholders or they'll actually be the actual NPC's we have to deal with?
I really hope the game will be in some ways moddable on pc cause some of these things are really dragging down the game for me.

My god.. I had no idea the character models looked this bad. This seems like a giant leap backwards.

Lt-47

Was checking the Andromeda initiative briefing videos to get more info on the game (and get myself immersed prior to launch). It's really well done and explains quite a few things about the voyage, how it is possible, etc..
Reading the codex will be a pleasure in the game cause they seem to have put effort into the background and well they do still have a pre-established lore to back them up. On the other hand some things still look poor like character models, I mean these are supposed to be important NPC's : they are the Nexus leadership and look at them

Director of Colonial Affairs: Foster Addison

Those 2 are place indeed holder, same with the krogan. We've seen those character again and they don't look like clone with different skin color anymore.

eizarus

Banned
The gif is slowed down so it's not full speed. And she is disarming an opponent and turning his gun back against him. Problem is it is such a wonky and slobbery animation of her grabbing the gun, flipping it around for a second while looking stonefaced as fuck and then do a tiny cocky smile while finally bringing it up.

Personally I would have just asked the animators "Watch Rush Hour, use that."
wp1a382307.gif

My bad, haven't seen the version with the correct speed.

I just realised I'd love for Bioware to make a Rush Hour game with Chris Tucker voicing his character and every single line of dialogue from him being something funny/snarky.

prag16

Banned
Makes me kinda worried that the character creator won't allow faces to be all that diverse.

DA:I definitely had that problem do a significant extent (as did the ME trilogy). Yeah you could make some wonky looking shit, but if you tried to make something "reasonable" most created faces ended up looking pretty similar to one another.

cripterion

I guess maybe the generic feeling also comes from the fact that everyone wears the same clothes in space and once again haven't played the game so their faces will get more familiar over time

Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Advisors.jpg

Imo these look very distinct thanks to their uniforms and other details. Liliana's face however...

shd-agent-dossiers-base-of-operations-post-1024x480.jpg

Another game I didn't care for but at least you can tell a story behind that face. Just looking at them they have more character. Might be just the eyes that bug me in Andromeda though lol.

I preordered the game today and found out it comes out on the 23rd here in Europe. Sucks!

Has there been any video on MP from PAX? I've read a few articles, but hadn't seen any with video. Not that it matters too much anyways, as I'll be playing in about 3 days.

Peroroncino

o3LdxGI.jpg

t3_5yq7x1.png

Look at the two guns.

Look at them again.

If you still aren't sure what's happening.

Pellesaria B'Sayle is holding her gun backwards.

Hahaha, holy shit, how the hell do you screw up something so basic as pointing the gun in the correct direction lmao.

Reminded me of this:

tumblr_om3ug8aQCM1rdewwro1_540.gif

and this:

cjv68i2E2Sjfy.gif

tumblr_o6la08ePU41t3cxt2o1_400.gif

Hahaha, holy shit, how the hell do you screw up something so basic as pointing the gun in the correct direction lmao.

Reminded me of this:

tumblr_om3ug8aQCM1rdewwro1_540.gif

and this:

cjv68i2E2Sjfy.gif

tumblr_o6la08ePU41t3cxt2o1_400.gif

Oh really? Does it also remind you of the fact that this is the actual speed of that particular sequence?

RNzlSR.gif

Here's the source in case you want to recheck that.

It's really special that even with all the supposed animation flaws, people still feel the need to pull shit straight out of thin air.

Andodalf

Banned
Oh really? Does it also remind you of the fact that this is the actual speed of that particular sequence?

RNzlSR.gif

Here's the source in case you want to recheck that.

It's really special that even with all the supposed animation flaws, people still feel the need to pull shit straight out of thin air.

The amount of slowed down gifs to make this game look worse is really strange. Why are so many people personally offended by the possibility of it being good?

pahamrick

Got it preloaded on PS4, and its interesting there's already 3 patches worth of patch notes listed in the patch History (1.01 - 1.03).

1.01 is the one with all the changes, 1.02 and 1.03 is standard stability stuff.

Top Bottom