• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PAX Livestream

AlStrong

Are we able to take default Ryder and customize on top of that or does it go straight to the presets if you choose to customize?

I mean, I wouldn't mind just default Ryder, but with a different hair style, for example.

Sai

Can't customize the default Ryders.

What I'm wondering is if we keep the default names for our custom characters, will the NPCs still use our surnames exclusively.

Spinx

Are we able to take default Ryder and customize on top of that or does it go straight to the presets if you choose to customize?

I mean, I wouldn't mind just default Ryder, but with a different hair style, for example.

You can't customize the default Ryder.

What I'm wondering is if we keep the default names for our custom characters, will the NPCs still use our surnames exclusively.

Some will use your first name.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey Bioware, how about putting all the damn Mass Effect DLC on sale on Origin, you know in honor of the new game release. Goddamn that shit still so expensive!!!!

I read that if you keep the default, they'll go for a mix of the first name and Ryder/Pathfinder. Otherwise it'll just be Ryder or Pathfinder.

diaspora

If you leave Scott and Sara's name alone they'll use "Scott" or Sara" iirc.

i-Lo

You can create custom characters, but you can't tweak the defaults supplied by Bioware.

So, in essence, you can replace the twins but then no one will call them by their first name as opposed to staying with default characters but being unable to change ANYTHING (not even their hairs?) with the only comfort that they'll be using their first names once in a while.

If that's the case then personally I find that utterly lame.

pmj

So, in essence, you can replace the twins but then no one will call them by their first name as opposed to staying with default characters but being unable to change ANYTHING (not even their hairs?) with the only comfort that they'll be using their first names once in a while.

No, they're still Scott and Sara Ryder unless you rename them.

Sai

Some will use your first name.
I read that if you keep the default, they'll go for a mix of the first name and Ryder/Pathfinder. Otherwise it'll just be Ryder or Pathfinder.
If you leave Scott and Sara's name alone they'll use "Scott" or Sara" iirc.
Neat! I knew this would be the case with the default presets, just wasn't sure if this would also be the case with custom characters.

Thanks, everyone!

It's just like it was with Sheploo in the original trilogy, except that if you keep their default names, you'll occasionally be addressed with them.

Same situation if you make a custom character with the default names.

i-Lo

No, they're still Scott and Sara Ryder unless you rename them.

Neat! Thanks.

It's just like it was with Sheploo in the original trilogy, except that if you keep their default names, you'll occasionally be addressed with them.

Same situation if you make a custom character with the default names.

Ah, ok, much better. Thank you folks.

Sai

What's interesting is that even the custom presets are based on actual people this time around. So I'm a lil' curious as to why the defaults were made an exception in this regard.

Maybe the defaults are the only professional models, and they didn't want their visage tarnished?

A little off-topic since I want to to in fresh, but do you guys happen to know how Origin Access works on this title? The page says you can play for 10 hours and that it's limited to the first planet. So are those all the limitations? I can dick around the first (Hinterlands :D) planet for 10 hours as I was playing the full game? No other artificial barriers for example?

pmj

What's interesting is that even the custom presets are based on actual people this time around. So I'm a lil' curious as to why the defaults were made an exception in this regard.

Maybe the defaults are the only professional models, and they didn't want their visage tarnished?

It was the same in the trilogy, actually. No changing of Vanderloo allowed.

I suspect the reasons for why we can't are of the technical and boring variety. It would be nice though, as in the trilogy I found myself often wishing I could keep the default but change something small on them.

Luckily this time I think I'm mostly fine with Sara's hairdo, which is something that used to be a big problem.

Wulfram

It was the same in the trilogy, actually. No changing of Vanderloo allowed.

I suspect the reasons for why we can't are of the technical and boring variety. It would be nice though, as in the trilogy I found myself often wishing I could keep the default but change something small on them.

Luckily this time I think I'm mostly fine with Sara's hairdo, which is something that used to be a big problem.

The customisable presets are also based on face scans, so I don't really see why there'd be technical reasons.

They stopped you changing the DA2 default faces, when there was no technical need to. Fortunately, there was soon a mod which fixed that. Maybe there'll be one for MEA.

Mifec

A little off-topic since I want to to in fresh, but do you guys happen to know how Origin Access works on this title? The page says you can play for 10 hours and that it's limited to the first planet. So are those all the limitations? I can dick around the first (Hinterlands :D) planet for 10 hours as I was playing the full game? No other artificial barriers for example?

It cuts off the story after a while.

pmj

The customisable presets are also based on face scans, so I don't really see why there'd be technical reasons.

They stopped you changing the DA2 default faces, when there was no technical need to. Fortunately, there was soon a mod which fixed that. Maybe there'll be one for MEA.

Well then. Maybe it's just about preserving the (imagined) integrity of Bioware's own creations then. That would be silly.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It has been pretty weird, and sometimes sad, how people have been complaining about Sara's face. Critics in general can't agree on what exactly is wrong, with old arguments disappearing and new being invented in cycles. Remember how it was all about her jaw being all wrong? Nobody says that anymore.

Now some say it's that how she's always smiling. Even though looking through the videos released that's plainly not true.

I can't help thinking that most really just want her to be more dolled up and attractive. Just look at Basketball's post above, and at the recent praise of the pathetic default femshep in ME3 where she looked less like an elite soldier and more like a girl still in high school in heavy make-up.

It's nice, isn't it, to always have "You are a sexist" card in your pocket to throw at whenever you see someone criticizing her face.

Her face looked weird, her face animated weird, but apparently that is not something exclusive to her only in this game, it's just that she's one of the leading mains so the effect is much more pronounced.

AzerPhire

Whats the cheapest way to get this on PC so that I can play on Thursday? Is there a different countries Origin store where the game is cheaper than the US/Canadian versions?

prag16

Banned
It's nice, isn't it, to always have "You are a sexist" card in your pocket to throw at whenever you see someone criticizing her face.
But I mean that doesn't appear to be what he was doing. I actually in general don't recall anyone trying to make that argument.

And reading what he ACTUALLY said, he's not exactly wrong..

JMY86

Whats the cheapest way to get this on PC so that I can play on Thursday? Is there a different countries Origin store where the game is cheaper than the US/Canadian versions?

The game will be available for a limited 10 hour trial Thursday via Origin Access on PC and EA Access on Xbox One. The is cost $5 per month or $30 per year. You will essentially be paying $5 for a 10 hour trial of the game, if you decide to purchase the game you will receive 10% off the full game as as EA/Origin Access member.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
But I mean that doesn't appear to be what he was doing. I actually in general don't recall anyone trying to make that argument.

And reading what he ACTUALLY said, he's not exactly wrong..

It's tiresome to see that when we criticize Sara's look it's always assumed that we do it because we want her to be prettier and dolled up.

More and more videos came up and it became increasingly obvious that the jarring animation/look is not limited only to her, which is unfortunate.

Harlequin

The game will be available for a limited 10 hour trial Thursday via Origin Access on PC and EA Access on Xbox One. The is cost $5 per month or $30 per year. You will essentially be paying $5 for a 10 hour trial of the game, if you decide to purchase the game you will receive 10% off the full game as as EA/Origin Access member.

You can try Origin Access for free for 7 days, actually. That's what I'm planning on doing.

I do have a question regarding the Origin trial, though: it says that your progress during the trial carries over to the full game. Does that only apply if you buy the full version digitally through Origin or also if you buy a physical copy?

Ambient80

Man, some of the dialogue in these videos is bad. "See ya, losers!" Is this a Teen Disney-funded game or something? Just seems very poor. :

JMY86

You can try Origin Access for free for 7 days, actually. That's what I'm planning on doing.

I do have a question regarding the Origin trial, though: it says that your progress during the trial carries over to the full game. Does that only apply if you buy the full version digitally through Origin or also if you buy a physical copy?

You should be fine. I think the retail version only contains a Origin game code.

prag16

Banned

Are you sure? Or does this perhaps vary by region? The 7 day free offer on the website disappeared at some point last week. (U.S. here.)

It's tiresome to see that when we criticize Sara's look it's always assumed that we do it because we want her to be prettier and dolled up.

More and more videos came up and it became increasingly obvious that the jarring animation/look is not limited only to her, which is unfortunate.

Likewise the constant shitting on her has also become tiresome.

Tragic. Horrible. Ugly. Disaster. Scary. Garbage. All those and more have been used on gaf to describe her face. At what point does it become unreasonable?

retail copy also runs through origin obviously.
Origin does have this weird quirk where you can have multiple copies of the same game, which you can individually install, but they all share the same dlc and savegames.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Tragic. Horrible. Ugly. Disaster. Scary. Garbage. All those and more have been used on gaf to describe her face. At what point does it become unreasonable?

I'll make sure not to criticize her looks or anything about her in the future if you are present, then.

prag16

Banned
I'll make sure not to criticize her looks or anything about her in the future if you are present, then.

deadhorse.jpg

hbkdx12

Man, some of the dialogue in these videos is bad. "See ya, losers!" Is this a Teen Disney-funded game or something? Just seems very poor. :

light hearted tone for the win!

I'm really hoping the cheezy light hearted stuff eases up as the game progresses and (presumably) things become more serious and more is at stake

Harlequin

Are you sure? Or does this perhaps vary by region? The 7 day free offer on the website disappeared at some point last week. (U.S. here.)

I'm in Germany and it's still there so it may well vary by region (though it does say "limited time only" so who knows for how long it'll still be up here).

You should be fine. I think the retail version only contains a Origin game code.

retail copy also runs through origin obviously.
Origin does have this weird quirk where you can have multiple copies of the same game, which you can individually install, but they all share the same dlc and savegames.

Yeah, that's what I suspected. Thanks :)!

Kneecap

I think it becomes unreasonable when we are all a hive mind with the same tastes.

cripterion

Was checking the Andromeda initiative briefing videos to get more info on the game (and get myself immersed prior to launch). It's really well done and explains quite a few things about the voyage, how it is possible, etc..
Reading the codex will be a pleasure in the game cause they seem to have put effort into the background and well they do still have a pre-established lore to back them up. On the other hand some things still look poor like character models, I mean these are supposed to be important NPC's : they are the Nexus leadership and look at them

Director of Colonial Affairs: Foster Addison
large.img.jpg

Nexus Security: Sloane Kelly
large.img.jpg

Are these placeholders or they'll actually be the actual NPC's we have to deal with?
I really hope the game will be in some ways moddable on pc cause some of these things are really dragging down the game for me.

Ozorov

Was checking the Andromeda initiative briefing videos to get more info on the game (and get myself immersed prior to launch). It's really well done and explains quite a few things about the voyage, how it is possible, etc..
Reading the codex will be a pleasure in the game cause they seem to have put effort into the background and well they do still have a pre-established lore to back them up. On the other hand some things still look poor like character models, I mean these are supposed to be important NPC's : they are the Nexus leadership and look at them

large.img.jpg

large.img.jpg

Are these placeholders or they'll actually be the actual NPC's we have to deal with?
I really hope the game will be in some ways moddable on pc cause some of these things are really dragging down the game for me.

Wait... Is that from Andromeda?

martino

large.img.jpg

large.img.jpg

Android confirmed ? (same model with different custiomization ?)

hbkdx12

large.img.jpg

large.img.jpg

I feel like I'm looking at images from a mobile game. Both npcs look identical just with a palette swap. Ugh.

I hope this doesnt turn out to be one of things where we look back in retrospect and realize that the fact that they didn't really start putting out substantial info/gameplay until a month before release as a sign of obvious subpar quality.

large.img.jpg

large.img.jpg

Thats uhm...pretty bad if you put it together with all the dead looking npcs and statue like animations we've seen in some of the videos. Seems like they didnt put much effort in presentation and their focus, hopefully, was the story.

cripterion

Wait... Is that from Andromeda?

These are from the Andromeda Initiative briefing vids. You have info points at times and these were there along with the female Krogan (who looks well... like a Krogan lol).
But these stand out as incredibly generic, like a lot of the people we have seen from the crew, generic looking characters that look clones, just like you would find in Fifa or NBA 2K for non face scanned players.

Like I don't want to harp on the game about this all the time but it's pretty much in every footage they've shown, for all the good points the game has, this does drag down the game.
I know they can't facescan every people and such but I would expect more variation in the faces and even face scanned people look worse than what you would find in FIFA.
This is done on the same engine. (I know it's a football, not open world bla bla).
pogbafifa17-min.jpg

250015808.jpg

image_3.img.jpg

96840d69095c3c2bd037dd61a291dd10.jpg

Is face scanning expensive, time consuming to do? I mean my avatar was done in 2K16 and I think it looks better than the npc's in Andromeda. I'd take face scans of the Bioware team over these generics anyday.

They're bad screenshots. We already know what that Sloan character looks like from the first gameplay video, as she's the person Ryder was talking to, and she looks perfectly fine in that one.

mass%20effect%20andromeda%20animation.jpg

But please, don't let me be the one to stop you from the circlejerk.

]
Is face scanning expensive, time consuming to do? I mean my avatar was done in 2K16 and I think it looks better than the npc's in Andromeda. I'd take face scans of the Bioware team over these generics anyday.

Well, I don't make video games for a living, but logic dictates that if it were easy or even feasible for whatever pipeline they're working with, then they would be doing it. What I'm wondering at the moment, how do those faces animate?

cripterion

They're bad screenshots. We already know what that Sloan character looks like from the first gameplay video, as she's the person Ryder was talking to, and she looks perfectly fine in that one.

mass%20effect%20andromeda%20animation.jpg

But please, don't let me be the one to stop you from the circlejerk.

Well, I don't make video games for a living, but logic dictates that if it were easy or even feasible for whatever pipeline they're working with, then they would be doing it.

I didn't take the screenshots, it's from their own website. I agree with you that they are of poor quality and I'm not disputing that, merely the faces of the human crew members that look generic.

None of them seem memorable to me at first glance, might change once I play and see their mug constantly though.

You've just shown me 4 pretty distinct looking human faces, so I don't really see what your point is here. Which characteristic makes these faces look "generic" to you, exactly?

A-V-B

You've just shown me 4 pretty distinct looking human faces, so I don't really see what your point is here. Which characteristic makes these faces look "generic" to you, exactly?

Third one looks kind of okay? But, in my opinion, from an aesthetic standpoint, I think the original trilogy faces were more believable. Not necessarily more appealing (some of the original trilogy faces were pretty jank) but more believable in their environment.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It was the same in the original trilogy. Humans looked bad most of the time while the aliens were great. Seems like a tradition almost.

Top Bottom