• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive comparison chart compares size of every sci-fi spaceship

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

You now while I love this some of these ships would actually crush into a ball due to their own gravity. Science ruining space battles once again.

Scirrocco

Of all of these I'm most surprised at the Farscape ships. The 'Leviathan' is so tiny compared to the huge Peacekeeper and scarran ships.

TrutaS

You can feel every single hour of lifetime wasted on this otherwise amazing chart. I like the non-square shaped ones (rounded edges and a hint of color).

The Death Star should have its own listing in a corner somewhere, unless I missed it.

Also, where is Firefly's Serenity? I can't find it. Surely it's there somewhere!

No V saucer, or am I missing it?
Bottom left quadrant somewhere. It's tiny.

Obligatory

This is amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

It's an embodiment of the feeling you get from some of these designs.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Where is the Death Star?
Death Star is not a ship.

More like, where is Mantle's Approach which is just as big (if not bigger) than the Death Star.

And before anyone says anything, yes, Mantle's Approach is enormous. And the size has been confirmed as legit by 343i themselves.

Length: 142.7 kilometers (88.7 mi)

Width: 138.6 kilometers (86.1 mi)

Height: 371.4 kilometers (230.8 mi)

ISCyhLG.png

Subitai

On past iterations I remember seeing the Whale Probe from Star Trek IV on the diagram. I guess it didn't make the cut this year.

I think this is the 4th thread on this subject and 2nd starting with this person's chart. Still not sure this has everything to scale yet. Mass Effect stuff is at the bottom now instead of the top and can be found easily if you look for the Crucible.

NekoFever

Here's my approximation of this image alongside the Death Stars:

Edit: Fixed version below.

Scale is 1px = 1km, based on Wikipedia's maximum diameters of the Death Stars.

Senoculum

Is the Zerg Behemoth the largest living thing amongst sci-fi? Minus Marvel of course, with their walking Gods who sneeze out planets and stuff...

Updated using Death Star scales from here:

deathstarufuan.jpg

2px:1km

This makes me think they messed up the proportions of the trench scenes in Star Wars. If it really is that big, then there should be tons of room in the trench for the X-wings. They make it look like a tight squeeze in the film. I choose to believe the Death Star is not that big.

QEUhzHP.jpg

Babylon 5 is a station and it's on there.
Where? I'm not seeing it. Are you sure you're just not confusing it with the Explorer class ship? Besides, if they were going to feature a station from B5, it should have been Babylon 4 - it was over twice the size IIRC and had engines making it capable of moving on its own.

This makes me think they messed up the proportions of the trench scenes in Star Wars. If it really is that big, then there should be tons of room in the trench for the X-wings. They make it look like a tight squeeze in the film. I choose to believe the Death Star is not that big.

QEUhzHP.jpg

Not the same trench. This is what the equatorial trech should look like

HDC4-falconintobay2-sm.jpg

DeathStarIIHangars-TCSBRBD2.png

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

QEUhzHP.jpg

Not the same trench. It was just a longitudinal trench somewhere in the northern hemisphere of the Death Star. The big equatorial trench is home to the hangar bays, engines and such. It can be seen when the Millennium Falcon is being dragged in by tractor beam.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
The Death Star is a space station, not a spaceship.

If that is the case, what is the range on their planet killing laser thingy? I always saw it as a mobile threat, and not something that just hung out in the galaxy with the capability of sniping rebel planets from anywhere.

On the other hand, if it is a ship, where are the engines? Every other Star Wars ship has massive visible engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom