• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive comparison chart compares size of every sci-fi spaceship

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

eI0rDW4.png

Forerunner structures are just ridiculous. The rings in the original Halo array in the Forerunner novels were even bigger – 30,000km across rather than the mere 10,000km of the ones we see in the games. And the Precursors before them built filaments between star systems that were impervious to anything but a Halo firing.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Forerunner structures are just ridiculous. The rings in the original Halo array in the Forerunner novels were even bigger – 30,000km across rather than the mere 10,000km of the ones we see in the games. And the Precursors before them built filaments between star systems that were impervious to anything but a Halo firing.
Precursors are god-like beings that were able to move galaxies around and predate the universe as we know it, but the Star Roads (the filaments) are just one awe inspiring example of their power.

Forerunner technology itself is ridiculous.

Even on the chart the OP posted, the Forerunner Keyship is one of the largest ships and that thing was kept inside the High Charity....

rexor0717

This is the site I am most familiar with when it comes to space ship size comparisons.
Pro-tip: at -2000X, the background depicts the moon at scale.

The Halo thingie, Ringworld, and Dyson Sphere are the only things bigger than it.
I mean, if we want to throw those very non-ship-looking things into the ring, then let me just get this out of the way. I promise I'll stop.
TTGL
Multiple hundred thousands of lightyears tall.

Then we have STTGL
Millions of light years in size.

Savitar

That chart is older than old and thrice beyond old than that. Even old doesn't know how old that chart is.

But it does get updated which is nice.

Always love looking at it now and then.

CorvoSol

I mean, if we want to throw those very non-ship-looking things into the ring, then let me just get this out of the way. I promise I'll stop.
TTGL

Multiple hundred thousands of lightyears tall.

Then we have STTGL

Millions of light years in size.

STTGL belongs on a chart of mecha, though, not ships.

xenist

Really nice comparison image, leaves me wondering if they all somehow had a brawl at once what vessel would be left standing?

Probably something from Warhammer 40K. They look like they could ram apart most other ships on this without even flinching. And many of them have planet killing capabilities. Multiple ones.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
the Great Fox is on there next to the Wall-E ships, above the right side of the giant Independence Day ship. No arwing, probably because it'd only be a couple pixels at most at that scale.

Took me a while but I found it, I dont remember the spaceship in independence day looking like that at the top with a more dome shape

As awesome as this is, I wish there was some kind of interactive version of this where you could mix and match what you want, compare ships directly, etc. It can be an adventure finding the ship you want on this.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Its not really a ship but the Dyson sphere from TNG would eclipse everything.

url-1.jpeg

Interesting thing I read about Dyson shells is that if one were to be constructed, it could be done so with less than one solar mass worth of materials.

Protein

Banned
Warhammer 40k writers need to step up their game. Add more zeroes to the end of those lengths. Increase those penises.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Interesting thing I read about Dyson shells is that if one were to be constructed, it could be done so with less than one solar mass worth of materials.

Yup, Ringworlds are also pretty mass efficient. Its easy to underestimate just how much material you save by making the layer thin.

Of course, as the titular novels explain, if civilization ever collapses you're fucked for it rearising to the same degree thousands or millions of years later since your natural resources are kind of screwed by the lack of plate tectonics or any actual geology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom