• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: Only about 1/3 of PC players in the US owns a PS4, and only 8% own a PS5.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not to mention the extra little 2-3% of willing double dippers. Its just too much money to leave on the table.

There will still be a gap between releases, but I think it will be more like 2-3 years instead of 5-6 years.

Neofire

Sounds like he's trying to convince his self. Dude is using old, out if context, data when most of these ports aren't even released yet. Haven't a impact on the ps5 or the Playstation platforms in general won't happen for another year or two.

The fact that you can go to any forum and a large amount of people say if all Playstation exclusives come to PC then there is no need to have a playstation 5. I mean it's not rocket science. Plus you can see that it didnt help MS push more consoles with the Xbox one when they started releasing their games on a regular on PC.

yurinka

~33% for PS4 and -in less than a year - ~8% for PS5 is way higher than I expected.

8% owning a PS5 seems kind of like a massive number given how large the PC population should be and how small the number of PS5s sold are. Like, what the heck are the defining as PC player? That number honestly suggests that nearly every PS5 owner also has a gaming PC, which I don't think is a reasonable statement.
Do we know how many PS5s have been sold in USA? Knowing they are a 8% of the PC gamers we can canculate the USA PC gamer population. I assume by PC gamers he means people who buys on Steam, Epic Store and so on, not the casual people who plays solitaire and browser games.

Last edited:

NickFire

8% owning a PS5 seems kind of like a massive number given how large the PC population should be and how small the number of PS5s sold are. Like, what the heck are the defining as PC player? That number honestly suggests that nearly every PS5 owner also has a gaming PC, which I don't think is a reasonable statement.
Yeah that number just feels really off. I'm not sure even 8% of PS4 / prior PS4 owners in the US have a PS5.

Topher

Gold Member
Sounds like he's trying to convince his self. Dude is using old, out if context, data when most of these ports aren't even released yet. Haven't a impact on the ps5 or the Playstation platforms in general won't happen for another year or two.

The fact that you can go to any forum and a large amount of people say if all Playstation exclusives come to PC then there is no need to have a playstation 5. I mean it's not rocket science. Plus you can see that it didnt help MS push more consoles with the Xbox one when they started releasing their games on a regular on PC.

I've made this point before and I'll say it again. PS games on PC is not going to turn console gamers into PC gamers. There are fundamental differences as Piscatella points out. Consoles are primarily in the living room with a big TV and is made for couch gaming. PCs are typically on a desk. So the "need" to have a PlayStation 5 isn't going to change at all. The need is to have a console that plays PlayStation games.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I'm curious what the % is outside of the US. My understanding was that Sony was always aiming for markets where PC had a resurgence or larger ratio in comparison to consoles like parts of Asia.

What are they classifying as "PC Players"? Are these people whom we would consider gamers? Or are they people who have a PC and happen to play Solitare or some random browser game a couple times a year?

Last edited:

TonyK

I had a good PC and it ran Horizon Zero dawn like shit (for PC standards). There are a lot of PCs out there, but only a fraction of them could run PS5 ports.

ethomaz

Banned
What are they classifying as "PC Players"? Are these people whom we would consider gamers? Or are they people who have a PC and happen to play Solitare or some random browser game a couple times a year?
Probably the users that buys games in the stores NPD tracks... that includes I believe Steam, Origins, EGS, etc... I have to check which one they get data actually.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
Not to mention the extra little 2-3% of willing double dippers. Its just too much money to leave on the table.

There will still be a gap between releases, but I think it will be more like 2-3 years instead of 5-6 years.
I think the gap will be 1 year at most. As you said, there's just too much money on the PC market. 1 year console-exclusivity has been basically the norm for Sony with 3rd party games, so it would make sense for them as well.

Topher

Gold Member

Yeah, 8% seems really high. NPD said a couple of years ago that 35% of Americans were PC gamers.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pc-gamers-vs-console-gamers-numbers

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So that’s 33% of ps4 owners who will no longer feel compelled to buy a ps5, buy yearly psn subs, buy third party titles digitally on psn, buy microtransactions on psn and will just give their money to Gabe instead.

Sony gets 70% cut for horizon instead of the full 100% cut on psn. They lose out on the $500 console revenue. $420 on ps+ revenue for an entire Gen and who knows how many hundreds more on third party sales. All to sell 1 million extra copies on pc.

tony-stark-not-a-great-plan.gif

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hey it work for the Greeks.
PC gamers are saying they don't need a PS5 now because they got a taste
But after they drip feed them some legacy games they'll be like..
3eGaa2P.jpg

jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
One in three is actually decent. I wonder what the numbers look like for Xbox and Switch. I would guess more PC gamers own a Switch. But who knows? Maybe they just emulate those games.

Topher

Gold Member
So that’s 33% of ps4 owners who will no longer feel compelled to buy a ps5, buy yearly psn subs, buy third party titles digitally on psn, buy microtransactions on psn and will just give their money to Gabe instead.

Sony gets 70% cut for horizon instead of the full 100% cut on psn. They lose out on the $500 console revenue. $420 on ps+ revenue for an entire Gen and who knows how many hundreds more on third party sales. All to sell 1 million extra copies on pc.

If they are primarily PC gamers then they probably were not buying third party games on PS or paying for PS+ at all. So the question still remains how will Sony approach their PC releases. If they delay then plenty of PC gamers, like myself, will simply not want to wait and will buy a PS5. If it will eventually be day one as some claim then yeah, a lot of PC gamers won't bother with console at all. So I guess the question about the math is whether retaining the 1/3 of PC gamers as console owners is more important than reaching the other 2/3 that were never a customer in the first place. Either way, I seriously doubt this is all so Sony can sell an "extra million copies".

Last edited:

Kacho

One in three is actually decent. I wonder what the numbers look like for Xbox and Switch. I would guess more PC gamers own a Switch. But who knows? Maybe they just emulate those games.
I think the percentage would be close but there are fewer Switches sold so probably not as high. Things get tricky when you factor in hardware refreshes too like the PS4 Pro and Switch OLED.

I’d wager a good chunk of that percentage are enthusiasts who game across multiple platforms.

You’re too reasonable for this. Stop.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

STEAM isn't an unreasonable metric to gauge "PC players" and their numbers don't show something out of whack with what the NPD is supposedly saying.

HFW will not be on PC for quite awhile.

. . .also I'm going to assume a large multinational company did more than enough research to make sure their future release plans weren't contradicted by a single meme post on NEOGAF.

yohan12

Until Sony launches their own PC Store and Launcher

He's using actual data. Where is your data to support this will destroy PlayStation?

CitizenZ

Banned
Who did they poll, their employees?

Jus a simple piece of useless info. There are 10 million Twitch streamers alone. Do you think they care if they have a console or PC?

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
I think the percentage would be close but there are fewer Switches sold so probably not as high. Things get tricky when you factor in hardware refreshes too like the PS4 Pro and Switch OLED.

I’d wager a good chunk of that percentage are enthusiasts who game across multiple platforms.

You’re too reasonable for this. Stop.
I know I've read that switch owners typically tend to own another console or gaming pc so I would guess pc gamers are more likely to buy a Switch than a ps4. This data must be available though if it's available for ps4 and pc.

lils

i'm surprised it's that high. it doesn't make sense as a PC user to spend money on a console when you could just make your PC better. what's the benefit of having a console as well, apart from a few more games?

kingfey

Banned
That is crazy high.

Seems like PC Master Racers loves to play on consoles.
not really.
Playstation owners are the ones who have the pc gaming. or those who want to dip in.

Most PC players are from worldwide. Korea, china, other asian countries, africa, Europeans and amercians.

"In 2020, there were an estimated 1.75 billion PC gamers worldwide, up from 1.5 billion PC gaming users in the previous year."

China and korea are all about mmo, and shooter games. With f2p games becoming popular, you will see more pc gamers.

This data is only US, who arent really that much competitive, like the rest of the world.

In Egypt, we used to have cafes with pc, and we used to play gta SA, and miami.

kingfey

Banned
PC players are as much fanboys as console players. If you don't release on Steam they are Full of mimimi.
only the vocal minorities.

There are a lot of good games, which arent on steam, epic. Mmo usually have their own stores.

I was a pc gamer in 2016. I used to play mmo alot, and most of my favorite mmo werent on steam.

kingfey

Banned
More markets = More sales = More money = Bigger Budgets and investments = More and better games. Sign me up!
That is were we are going now.

MS and Sony are seeing all these free money laying around.

Consoles are becoming old, as technology advances.

Remember the Blu-ray and dvd movies, these are going out now, and its all stream, digital now. This way, movie companies make more money, without wasting money on dvd, store and warehouses labor.

Top Bottom