• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Cassamassina: "Wii is $50 too expensive and three weeks too late."

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unfortunately true. Especially about the date, because Wii Sports slightly eases the price shock, though like he says the Classic Controller should come with it too.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Matt cassasamamamia saying what weve been saying since the price was announced.

This thread is AWESOME!

LCGeek

formerly sane
Honestly I say good, maybe get someone in the channel who is actually going to go after lazy developers on Wii. He whines like a girl about something that he has know about for at least year. Wii isn't 360 but a game as crappy looking as COD3 shouldn't get a free pass same with Farcry.

In Australia the Wii is launching at $399 AU with Wii Sports but if you preorder one you get a game of your choice for free. Games here retail for $99 AU so that made me more comfortable with the price.

vasuba

Banned
hydragonwarrior said:
Someone's out for VENGEANCE.

probably a sony fanboy who feels threatened. threatened animals lashout violently when in danger.

And as far as launch period it makes perfect sense to a buisness. Fanboys just for weeks kept thinking it was gonna be an october launch and are moody it wasnt

JDSN

Banned
Matt reads GAF.

QuickKick89 said:
Always gotta hammer the point home to the Big N's shitsucking fanboys.

Lol, its fun cos you probably wont get banned.

Edit:
QuickKick89
Banned
(Today, 11:25 PM)
Reply | Quote

Still funny.

Pellham

Banned
its a shitty price but we all know the moms and dads are going to eat the system up for christmas. i think its 100% guarenteed that Nintendo will drop the price to $200 in the spring just like they did with the N64 and Gamecube in order to attract hardcore gamers looking to complement their 360.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
if you're going to evaluate wii's price in terms of the hardware -- and that's what casasasasas is explicitly doing -- there's absolutely no reason to stop at "$50 too expensive." he's just going through the motions.

Pellham said:
its a shitty price but we all know the moms and dads are going to eat the system up for christmas. i think its 100% guarenteed that Nintendo will drop the price to $200 in the spring just like they did with the N64 and Gamecube in order to attract hardcore gamers looking to complement their 360.

weesitty!

masud

Banned
Pellham said:
Or just bundle it with Galaxy.

jepense

Judging by the opening post I thought he was going to seriously cry in the blog, but actually he seems to be saying "I don't like it but it may be good businesswise." Oh well, it's his job.

Pellham said:

You normally don't drop the price to attract hardcore gamers.

Jiggy

That's a bit misleading since he does go on to say it's what they should do business-wise.

But with that said... I agree with the first half of the spinning in the thread title. $200 was the only sensible price point unless they were going to bundle it with Zelda instead of Wii Sports, or, hey, better yet, bundle it with a "one game free" coupon and let people choose Zelda, Wii Sports, or anything else like Excite Truck. :eek: Imagine that.

-Rogue5-

I think the price, depsite the outcrys for hardcore gamers, is completely understandable. What bothers me is the release date; Nintendo should have shipped in mid-October or (at the very latest) the first sunday in November... Even if it meant shipping with a couple of hundred thousand untis less, it would get the brand out there and build hype before the juggernaut that is the PS3 takes over... Now it's launch is going to be surrounded by PS3 news. It's bad form.

SuperPac

It's going to make little difference this year. Nintendo would likely sell the same number of units at $199 as they will at $249 -- that is, all of them. They can drop to $199 in the spring or later while PS3 and 360 are still well above $300, and get that extra boost that a price drop provides. If there's any price to be whining about right now, it's the PS3.

Pellham said:

Ehh. Wasnt Nintendo mostly after NON-HARDCORE gamers?

Kolgar

-Rogue5- said:
I think the price, depsite the outcrys for hardcore gamers, is completely understandable. What bothers me is the release date; Nintendo should have shipped in mid-October or (at the very latest) the first sunday in November... Even if it meant shipping with a couple of hundred thousand untis less, it would get the brand out there and build hype before the juggernaut that is the PS3 takes over... Now it's launch is going to be surrounded by PS3 news. It's bad form.

But but but the two systems are aimed at different markets!

mj1108

The only thing 3 weeks too late is that blog post of his. Where the hell were these comments 3 weeks ago?

Polari

I think he's wrong about the launch date. This is Nintendo on the attack rather than playing defense, and it's what they've needed to have be doing for a long time.

It'd be better for them if they launched before the PS3 in Japan instead of December, especially considering Sony's only going to have 100,000 units available on launch day. I doubt Nintendo has any manufacturing or supply issues considering the hardware, don't know why they're launching that much later...

$250 is a smart move for nintendo. that gives them quite a few solid price drops over the course of the console's lifetime. honestly, stfu and buy it or dont.

AdamBot

If it were six weeks too late and $100 too much, there might have been a problem.

Three weeks and $50 will not make the slightest difference.

-Rogue5- said:

Nah. Wii's going to be getting all the writeups in Time magazine and whatnot as the hot holiday item. PS3 is going to be absurdly expensive, completely unavailable by noon of launch day and not quite as original/newsworthy.

Striek

Meh at price, being a Nintendo system it was never going to represent value-for-money, and with Sonys price they saw it opening. Lame but meh.

As for three weeks late? More like three years. It really could've been a nice mid-generation console after they saw the GC was (going to be) a failure.

>>This is Nintendo on the attack rather than playing defense

How is it attack? By being later than your competition?

AniHawk

_leech_ said:
It'd be better for them if they launched before the PS3 in Japan instead of December, especially considering Sony's only going to have 100,000 units available on launch day. I doubt Nintendo has any manufacturing or supply issues considering the hardware, don't know why they're launching that much later...

They're launching it on the anniversary of the DS's launch. Sony launched the PSP on the 10th anniversary of the Playstation. Nintendo's launching Wii in NA 5 years (and one day) after the GC (most of their big titles/events fall on November 18-21).

Superstition, I suppose.

Bearillusion said:
You normally don't drop the price to attract hardcore gamers.
The term "hardcore" has no real meaning nowadays.

It used to have one single implication with which everyone was in agreement: someone who plays the everliving snot out of his/her games until said games are mastered. It did not take into account things like purchase frequency or level of affluance.

Over the last two generations, no one knows what the hell it means anymore.

- Madden/Halo-only gamers use it to describe themselves.
- GAF and other forums use it to describe people who are tech-savvy and knowledgable on the subject of games, regardless of their skill.
- Reggie uses it to mean people who buy Mario and Zelda.
- Others, including Sony, use it to describe only those gamers that spend some minimal amount of money on games and consoles.

It's actually a little sad how many groups want to be thought of as hardcore. It's one of the more pitiful aspects of the industry and I hope we are able to drop it soon.

Deku

Banned
My problem with Matt is that not only is he the biggest whiner this side of the Internet, and he does literally have a negative opinion about a lot of things, for someone of his stature, he should really know better. But he seems to want to believe what GAF and his idiot friends at the IGN board thinks will happen rather than the some rather large hints Nintendo was giving the public (and presumably to him) for ages.

$250 was not unexpected. A minority on GAF predicted it and even predicted which game would be bundled. Matt may have a fanbase and tenure at IGN to warrant his unassialable positon as lord of Nintendo websites there, but he seems awfully flaky and clueless for someone who has been convering one company for the last 10 years. Perhaps if he would spend less time smoozing for half baked exlcusives and sensationalizing Japanese megaton announcements...

Deku said:
My problem with Matt is that not only is he the biggest whiner this side of the Internet, and he does literally have a negative opinion about a lot of things, for someone of his stature, he should really know better. But he seems to want to believe what GAF and his idiot friends at the IGN board thinks will happen rather than the some rather large hints Nintendo was giving the public (and presumably to him) for ages.

$250 was not unexpected. A minority on GAF predicted it and even predicted which game would be bundled. Matt may have a fanbase and tenure at IGN to warrant his unassialable positon as lord of Nintendo websites there, but he seems awfully flaky and clueless for someone who has been convering one company for the last 10 years. Perhaps if he would spend less time smoozing for half baked exlcusives and sensationalizing Japanese megaton announcements...

Matt reminds me of Albedo(in a saner way) from the Xenosaga series. Kinda that love/hate thing going on with him & Nintendo. Can you really blame him? You want to strangle Nintendo for not making the Wii at least a step up on a technical aspect from last generation(as we will soon be refering to PS2/Xbox/GC) but on the other hand, Zelda!!! It's love/hate......

SuperPac

LiveFromKyoto said:
Nah. Wii's going to be getting all the writeups in Time magazine and whatnot as the hot holiday item. PS3 is going to be absurdly expensive, completely unavailable by noon of launch day and not quite as original/newsworthy.

True. You could demonstrate the Wii on The Today Show and even if the anchor knows nothing about video games you could have them playing. Give a PS3 controller to an anchor and it'll be like "WTF do I do?" Nintendo is not going to have any troubles selling Wiis this holiday. They may start having troubles into 2007, but everyone else is going to as well with their systems being $50-250 more expensive than Wii.

Owzers

I was going to get a Wii this fall as a cheap companion system next to my 360. $250 isn't cheap. If i'm going to spend that much, i might as well get a PS3 for $500 now that it's an option given the addition of the HDMI port on all systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom