• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes June 7th

May releases that sold more in month 2 than in launch month, sales >50k per month:

2015 - Splatoon, Farming Simulator 15
2014 - Mario Kart 8
2013 - DK Country Returns
2012 - Dargon's Dogma
2011 - DiRT 3

So it's actually a much more common occurrence than I'd thought. Nothing as "core" as Overwatch though. Mostly Nintendo stuff.

Dargon's Dogma was the best game of the last generation, so it's only natural it would've sold more in the second month.

Buzzfeed presents the 32 Most Iconic Eye Rolls of All Time

I'll give this comment "The Mary"

LadyMaryEyeRoll.gif

Dargon's Dogma is a fine game though. But who is Dargon, anyway?

ethomaz

Banned
In NPD? Not likely. I dont think its art style appeals much to the general American gaming market whereas FFXV has been basically built around the idea of increasing western appeal.
WoFF is love!!!

In Japan I'm 70% sure it will sell more.

In US I believe it will outsell one version of the game... the PS4 version... combined FFXV will sell more.

FFXV is that bad in gameplay :(

allan-bh

WoFF is love!!!

In US I believe it will outsell one version of the game... the PS4 version... combined FFXV will sell more.

WoFF doesn't have more appeal that a new main (numbered) FF.

In US the chances of outsell PS4 version of FF XV is 0%. In Japan despite being on PS4 and Vita, is highly unlikely that beats FF XV.

Rymuth

So here's a thought: Am I crazy in thinking that MS will get WatchDoges 2 marketing?

Unity (Xbox) ----> Syndicate (Playstation)

Watchdogs (Playstation) ------> Watchdogs 2 (???)

would be in line with Ubi wanting to keep everyone happy.

If you are excited for the Xbox E3 conference don't forget to get your ticket for the hryb-train.
What'd he say now, what'd I miss?

Elios83

So here's a thought: Am I crazy in thinking that MS will get WatchDoges 2 marketing?

Unity (Xbox) ----> Syndicate (Playstation)

Watchdogs (Playstation) ------> Watchdogs 2 (???)

would be in line with Ubi wanting to keep everyone happy.

What'd he say now, what'd I miss?

I doubt this is about keeping everyone happy :D
These are business deals, the main reason why Microsoft got the AC Unity marketing deal was because they were planning to buy a few million of units from Ubisoft to make holiday bundles.

Abdiel

WoFF is love!!!

Wut.

No.

Look, I'm excited for World of Final Fantasy, but it's likely that the PS4 sku of it will barely outsell the XB1 sku for XV. There's no way in hell it will come anywhere close to the PS4 sku of XV. Our preorders for WoFF are barely registering by comparison. It's a one off, spin-off with a bizarre style, it's going to have to prove itself worthwhile, and it's not going to do anything by comparison.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but there's growing excitement for XV, but WoFF is coasting very much under the radar. (Also, most people are more than okay with the change away from the turn based system, like myself, having either is fine)

So I just watched the WOFF trailer.

I have no idea what I just watched.

There's normal people, little people, trash cans, what the hell is happening here. This is a JRPG yeah? Like a standard one, or some offshoot? I don't get it lol.

The people can shrink or grow? I mean it seems interesting.

Fdkn

WoFF is love!!!

you need to get over your XV hate man.
Don't buy it if you're so sure you don't like it but stop pretending that it's going to crash and burn because you've decided it is a terrible game before release.

Welfare

WoFF is love!!!

It won't outsell FFXV anywhere. That is a Vita game with a PS4 port and will sell just as bad on both consoles.

Unless you are joking, of course.

Less than 40 minutes left to post/edit predictions!

WoFF is love!!!

A tonne of games are bad in gameplay and sell a tonne, see Skyrim, FF 15 will sell on name alone.

Sterok

I'm under the impression that the 2DS is unpopular and doesn't sell much, so its price cut will have a minimal effect at best.

Ray Down

Banned
you need to get over your XV hate man.
Don't buy it if you're so sure you don't like it but stop pretending that it's going to crash and burn because you've decided it is a terrible game before release.

He won't, he's like Wagram in XV threads.

RexNovis

Banned
So Paragon just surprise released a $60 version of their game at retail with absolutely 0 fan fare or advertising that I am aware of. What's even more confusing is that its a free to play game.

I feel like MOBAs on console are just not gonna happen at this point either be it through confusing business/marketing decisions of the publishing parties or generally unappealing game design. I'm just not sure console is the place for MOBAs to begin with. Consoles arent exactly known for their cooperative and team based multiplayer communities... Regardless it seems like yet another MOBA is going to crash and burn on console. This one might actually make Battleborn look like a success in comparison.

Surprised RexNovis didnt get the format right a second time...

Too late

ps3ud0 8)

Wait what?!?!?!? Dont even joke about that. Thats just cruel man.

RexNovis

Banned
So I just witnessed this statement claiming Quantum Break was a "definite success"

No, it [Quantum Break] did not [bomb]. The game was a definite success for them and Microsoft. We can argue till the cows come home about how big that success was, but it was a definite success.

According to this poster apparently Greenberg called the game a success. Can somebody please find this Greenberg quote? I honestly can't believe it.

Javin98

Banned
So I just witnessed this statement claiming Quantum Break was a "definite success"

According to this poster apparently Greenberg called the game a success. Can somebody please find this Greenberg quote? I honestly can't believe it.
Hey, in your wildest dreams, anything is possible, so I say ignore those delusions and leave that dreamland. ;)

Raylan

Banned

A "definite success" because it became the “biggest-selling new Microsoft Studios published IP this generation”. Lmao.... this is still PR comedy gold.

Guymelef

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/quantum-break-preorders-well-ahead-of-plan-could-b/1100-6436196/

Preorders for time-bending Xbox One and PC game Quantum Break are "performing well ahead of plan," and the game is shaping up to possibly be a "mega hit," according to Xbox marketing executive Aaron Greenberg.

RexNovis

Banned
A "definite success" because it became the “biggest-selling new Microsoft Studios published IP this generation”. Lmao.... this is still PR comedy gold.

I don't understand how that could be true given that we know for a fact that Ryse sold substantially better. What am I missing here? At least I assume I'm missing something as that's usually how it is with their PR.

That was in reference to preorders. I'm talking about some statement claiming the game was success post release.

Edit: Nevermind apparently the poster is defining "definite success" as a reflection of the quality of the game and not its profitability or sales... Yea it didn't make any sense to me either.

Conduit

Banned
I don't understand how that could be true given that we know for a fact that Ryse sold substantially better. What am I missing here? At least I assume I'm missing something as that's usually how it is with their PR.

That was in reference to preorders. I'm talking about some statement claiming the game was success post release.

IIRC, Greeberg never mentioned "definite success". But he said this :

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/q..._ms_studios_published_ip_this_generation.html

But honestly, Ryse is no new IP. The game is quite old by now.

I think I recall something about 1st week of sales or something. Hazy, but it was one of those MS it's-true-but-still-misleading-but-hey-it's-true-so-boom kind of lines. The "X is the best-selling* Y ever!" lines.

Why do you care about incorrect sales assumptions outside of these sales threads? You seem to take it personally.

Why do you care about incorrect sales assumptions outside of these sales threads? You seem to take it personally.
If there are sales discussions outside, it's nice someone in here gives a hint. You can't watch all the threads all the time and with this system, bookmarking the npd thread gives a nice alert whenever something of interest happens.
And of course Rex takes incorrect sales assumptions personal. We all should.

Other question:
Will R&C second month be higher than Quantum Break's first?

Top Bottom