• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes June 7th

RexNovis

Banned
Why do you care about incorrect sales assumptions outside of these sales threads? You seem to take it personally.

I don't take it personally but I do take issue with people spreading complete falsehoods and misinformation as fact. I would think that's something most people would be against.

Saying Quantum Break didn't bomb and was a "definite success" certainly falls under one of the two categories mentioned so yea of course I would call it into question and confront the poster about it.

It's also nothing new. Perhaps you've missed the countless other conversations and debates I have participated in regarding sales on this forum. Hell I even debated the appropriate expectation of sales for PS4 in May in this very thread.

The point is the spread of misinformation should never be taken lightly especially when said misinformation is in a field without an abundance of data easily accessible to the masses such as game sales.

If there are sales discussions outside, it's nice someone in here gives a hint. You can't watch all the threads all the time and with this system, bookmarking the npd thread gives a nice alert whenever something of interest happens.
And of course Rex takes incorrect sales assumptions personal. We all should

For the most part yea but it's not that o take this personally I just can't abide false sales information spreading unchecked. If I see it I am going to address it.

Sweet summer child, you're not familiar with Senjutsusage, are you?

Nope not that I can recall. He certainly has some interesting definitions for the word "success" as applied to games though.

I think I recall something about 1st week of sales or something. Hazy, but it was one of those MS it's-true-but-still-misleading-but-hey-it's-true-so-boom kind of lines. The "X is the best-selling* Y ever!" lines.

Right but how is this one true is what I'm asking. We know Ryse sold way better so it can't possibly be true.

Other question:
Will R&C second month be higher than Quantum Break's first?

I think the movie was their gambit for decent legs and obviously it didn't pan out particularly well so I doubt it will break 150k in May without the movie pushing it. But I could be wrong. I think most everyone underestimated it last month. I could certainly be doing the same this month.

Hawkens

May releases that sold more in month 2 than in launch month, sales >50k per month:

2015 - Splatoon, Farming Simulator 15
2014 - Mario Kart 8
2013 - DK Country Returns
2012 - Dargon's Dogma
2011 - DiRT 3

So it's actually a much more common occurrence than I'd thought. Nothing as "core" as Overwatch though. Mostly Nintendo stuff.

DD was 93k at the end of May, so it was sitting close to 200k by the end of June?

Abdiel

I don't take it personally but I do take issue with people spreading complete falsehoods and misinformation as fact. I would think that's something most people would be against.

Saying Quantum Break didn't bomb and was a "definite success" certainly falls under one of the two categories mentioned so yea of course I would call it into question and confront the poster about it.

It's also nothing new. Perhaps you've missed the countless other conversations and debates I have participated in regarding sales on this forum. Hell I even debated the appropriate expectation of sales for PS4 in May in this very thread.

The point is the spread of misinformation should never be taken lightly especially when said misinformation is in a field without an abundance of data easily accessible to the masses such as game sales.

For the most part yea but it's not that o take this personally I just can't abide false sales information spreading unchecked. If I see it I am going to address it.

Nope not that I can recall. He certainly has some interesting definitions for the word "success" as applied to games though.

Right but how is this one true is what I'm asking. We know Ryse sold way better so it can't possibly be true.

I think the movie was their gambit for decent legs and obviously it didn't pan out particularly well so I doubt it will break 150k in May without the movie pushing it. But I could be wrong. I think most everyone underestimated it last month. I could certainly be doing the same this month.

SenjutsuSage is... a loyalist among loyalists. He was fanatical about certain expectations at the start of the generation, would argue with me on things I would provide store information on. He's not anti Sony or anything, from what I can tell, he just is firmly drunk on the Kool-Aid. It's fine, just, trying to have a conversation with him about almost anything is rarely going to be worthwhile, since his logic almost always becomes cyclical, self-informed, or outright farcical.

We only know that for packaged, right? I believe the line was for digital & retail combined. Given the free Win 10 code offer...

I think I'm remembering it right.

RexNovis

Banned
We only know that for packaged, right? I believe the line was for digital & retail combined. Given the free Win 10 code offer...

I think I'm remembering it right.

Oh man I had forgotten about the free Windows 10 copies with digital preorders. You might be right. That would be some kind of spin if they counted free copies as "selling."

SenjutsuSage is... a loyalist among loyalists. He was fanatical about certain expectations at the start of the generation, would argue with me on things I would provide store information on. He's not anti Sony or anything, from what I can tell, he just is firmly drunk on the Kool-Aid. It's fine, just, trying to have a conversation with him about almost anything is rarely going to be worthwhile, since his logic almost always becomes cyclical, self-informed, or outright farcical.

Yes I have been informed by a few other users now. Lesson learned. I shan't waste my time in the future.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Before the NPD is out (around 20 hours) i wanna say that in my opinion OverWatch gonna be very low at retail... something in the between of 200K to 400K. imo, of course.

RexNovis

Banned
Before the NPD is out (around 20 hours) i wanna say that in my opinion OverWatch gonna be very low at retail... something in the between of 200K to 400K. imo, of course.

Probably right yea but I'd estimate it'll be somewhere between 300k and 450k which given the sales would mean a massive digital skew for the title. Shouldnt have any issues coming in 3rd for such a slow sales month despite that though.

ps3ud0

How do such people exist? I just cant fathom how you internally resolve such a stance - it was just be so alien to me not to accept logic and facts.

Bemused...

ps3ud0 8)

Javin98

Banned
How do such people exist? I just cant fathom how you internally resolve such a stance - it was just be so alien to me not to accept logic and facts.

Bemused...

ps3ud0 8)
So you're telling me Quantum Break doesn't have the most enjoyable mechanics in a TPS game this gen?

im_shocked.gif

To be fair, though, I never played QB and I simply have no interest in it. That whole TV show thing somewhat sounds boring to me.

Abdiel

Oh man I had forgotten about the free Windows 10 copies with digital preorders. You might be right. That would be some kind of spin if they counted free copies as "selling."

Yes I have been informed by a few other users now. Lesson learned. I shan't waste my time in the future.

Someone PM'd me to say I should apologize to them about my comments. I will stand by them as being perhaps a bit harsh, but not inaccurate. It's a public forum, and he can see what I've said, if he has any issue, he can speak to me on it. I've tried having 'discussions' with him in the past where it was less constructive than pulling the keys out of my keyboard and then dismantling my mouse.

Oh well.

Anyway.

Guys! We finally have the Persona 5 preorders posted! Fuck yeah! It already got a bunch! And... almost fucking none for the PS3! Who's surprised? Not this guy!

Someone PM'd me to say I should apologize to them about my comments. I will stand by them as being perhaps a bit harsh, but not inaccurate. It's a public forum, and he can see what I've said, if he has any issue, he can speak to me on it. I've tried having 'discussions' with him in the past where it was less constructive than pulling the keys out of my keyboard and then dismantling my mouse.

Oh well.

Anyway.

Guys! We finally have the Persona 5 preorders posted! Fuck yeah! It already got a bunch! And... almost fucking none for the PS3! Who's surprised? Not this guy!

PS3 version seems to be pretty much out of obligation in the west to not piss off the dozens of people who'll throw a huge fit.

Abdiel

PS3 version seems to be pretty much out of obligation in the west to not piss off the dozens of people who'll throw a huge fit.

Basically. There's a small, very niche group of people that still actively buy titles for their PS3s, that are new titles. The most active buyers we see for PS3 are typically used game purchasers... and as our used game selection is pretty minimal compared with our competition GS, we don't get nearly as much of that traffic anyway.

We're far enough into the new generation that anything else being released on PS3 usually has extenuating circumstances, or else they wouldn't bother. Like Trails of Cold Steel... if they could have had a PS4 release and not a PS3 one, to go with their Vita release, lord knows they'd have done that in a heart beat.

Abdiel

Really? I think it was the other way around as it was initially only announced for PS3 and Atlus saw the PS4 userbase explode and quickly added PS4 support.

You're basically saying the same thing, in different words. As a result of how quickly the PS4 exploded, the PS3 was being left behind. So Atlus (And I believe the rumor was, Sony was helping), quickly shifted to make a PS4 version, which became the main version, and were downporting the PS3 version, as the secondary focus.

That's why all the 'news' about it was reassuring that 'yes, we are in fact even still releasing the ps3 version', but it doesn't get any special editions at all. Just a straight up release.

The primary buying audience for games like these has moved on to the PS4, so they needed to shift the game to to maximize the chance to sell it.

Edit: Sorry, caught your post before the edit...

And sheesh, I've posted a lot tonight. I'm off for the night! Seeya lads.

You're basically saying the same thing, in different words. As a result of how quickly the PS4 exploded, the PS3 was being left behind. So Atlus (And I believe the rumor was, Sony was helping), quickly shifted to make a PS4 version, which became the main version, and were downporting the PS3 version, as the secondary focus.

That's why all the 'news' about it was reassuring that 'yes, we are in fact even still releasing the ps3 version', but it doesn't get any special editions at all. Just a straight up release.

The primary buying audience for games like these has moved on to the PS4, so they needed to shift the game to to maximize the chance to sell it.

Edit: Sorry, caught your post before the edit...

And sheesh, I've posted a lot tonight. I'm off for the night! Seeya lads.

Thanks for the info on P5 pre-orders! Keep us posted every now and then.

I think the movie was their gambit for decent legs and obviously it didn't pan out particularly well so I doubt it will break 150k in May without the movie pushing it.
Yeah, we had high hopes. It was very promising, had nice marketing but in the end it was less than expected, just a philm.

RexNovis

Banned

Oh well.

I mean if he has an issue with your post he should say so himself. Pretty bizarre that someone else would PM you about it.

Actually going by your description I think I might vaguely remember him. Did he used to sport a Ryse avatar? Was that him? I remember someone with a Ryse avatar driving you and plenty of others in sales GAF absolutely crazy and then he just kind of disappeared like a mythical creature retreating back into the mists from whence it came ne'er to be seen again. If it is indeed the same guy Im thinking of than your description is pretty much spot on.

Anyway.

Out of curiosity, how do the Persona 5 preorders compare to FFXV?

Also any chance you can comment on this?

Wow that is way more Limited Edition SKUs than what I'm expecting. I was thinking somewhere around 25-30k. I tend to think Limited is very literal this time as it's an actual special SKU similar to what we saw with the limited Taken King SKU.

Hmm so yea I guess mostly y'all just have a completely different estimation for the limited SKU than I do along with more HW sales potential from some of the multiplats.

Maybe Abdiel can shed some light on the stock figures to expect for it and that would help give us a better frame of reference for our predictions.

Basically it would be super helpful to get some idea of how many of these limited Edition Uncharted 4 consoles there were in stock. A few of us have very different ideas of just how limited the bundle is likely to be and some clarification would be much appreciated.

kyser73

Ah man, I was hoping to see Rex savaging Senjutsu Sage right here in this thread :)

Just out of interest, did QB outsell The Order in its first month?

Ah, I see. 150k...well then...

foxbeldin

Actually going by your description I think I might vaguely remember him. Did he used to sport a Ryse avatar? Was that him? I remember someone with a Ryse avatar driving you and plenty of others in sales GAF absolutely crazy and then he just kind of disappeared like a mythical creature retreating back into the mists from whence it came ne'er to be seen again. If it is indeed the same guy Im thinking of than your description is pretty much spot on.

Yes he did.

Conduit

Banned
I mean if he has an issue with your post he should say so himself. Pretty bizarre that someone else would PM you about it.

Actually going by your description I think I might vaguely remember him. Did he used to sport a Ryse avatar? Was that him?

He has some fanbase here?

Anyway, yes, he had Ryse avatar before.

cilonen

Yes indeed. Before QB, Ryse was the game of the forever supposedly.

Ah man, I was hoping to see Rex savaging Senjutsu Sage right here in this thread :)

It was 109k for the game and about 40k for the white console bundle.

Seems that bundle saved it from being a truly sad opening.

Edit: Truly sad = Wonderful 101-esque

kyser73

It was 109k for the game and about 40k for the white console bundle.

Seems that bundle saved it from being a truly sad opening.

Edit: Truly sad = Wonderful 101-esque

Damn, should have posted my 'Will be MS' The Order' prediction...

Senju really doubled down in that thread.

RexNovis

Banned
Yes he did.

He has some fanbase here?

Anyway, yes, he had Ryse avatar before.

Yes indeed. Before QB, Ryse was the game of the forever supposedly.

Whelp then yea Abdiel's description is completely accurate from what I remember. Figured the guy was gone ages ago.

I mean we've established theres no point. I've already addressed and corrected his comments in the aforementioned thread his refusal to acknowledge or respond tells me I shouldn't waste my time addressing him further. These days I'm trying to be a wiser gentler Rex and sometimes its honestly just not worth the inevitable frustration.

Nah it sold significantly less which is precisely what I and many others pointed out to Mr.Sage only to go unanswered.

ps3ud0

Surely QBs got to be line for one of the biggest failures this generation? While we don't have its budget it can't have been cheap at all and MS didn't skimp with marketing either.

ps3ud0 8)

RexNovis

Banned
Surely QBs got to be line for one of the biggest failures this generation? While we don't have its budget it can't have been cheap at all and MS didn't skimp with marketing either.

ps3ud0 8)

There's a chance, small though it may be, that digital couldve comprisied a significant portion of sales with the digital preorder bonus of the free Win 10 copy so retail sales might not be as accurate a measure as they usually are. Even granting a large digital share though its hard to believe it was profitable. Especially given the lengthened development time and the hollywood talent they hired on. But yea it might not be quite as grim as the NPD figures would suggest.

Really wish we had some way of tracking digital sales. The lack of data is becoming increasingly problematic.

ps3ud0

There's a chance, small though it may be, that digital couldve comprisied a significant portion of sales with the digital preorder bonus of the free Win 10 copy so retail sales might not be as accurate a measure as they usually are. Even granting a large digital share though its hard to believe it was profitable. Especially given the lengthened development time and the hollywood talent they hired on. But yea it might not be quite as grim as the NPD figures would suggest.

Really wish we had some way of tracking digital sales. The lack of data is becoming increasingly troublesome.
I guess doubling retail sales is a fair guesstimate considering, still not really what QB deserved. I am surprised it did so badly, everything leading up to launch didnt suggest anything out of the ordinary; rather strong sales...

ps3ud0 8)

RexNovis

Banned
I guess doubling retail sales is a fair guesstimate considering, still not really what QB deserved. I am surprised it did so badly, everything leading up to launch didnt suggest anything out of the ordinary; rather strong sales...

ps3ud0 8)

Eh the single player story driven action game genre has become an incredibly difficult sell this gen. Only the biggest and most effectively marketed titles of this ilk seem to avoid dismal sales. So it's not entirely Quantum Breaks fault but I really don't think the live action episodes helped their case. Most consumers seemed rather down on the whole concept from the get go.

There are more things to software and sales, ps3udo, than are portrayed in our data.

EGM1966

ps3ud0 8)
It's up there. It's not that the games terrible or anything IMHO just a victim of multiple factors really conspiring against it.

One, it took too damn long to arrive from reveal. Remedy need to quit this (although may has been MS pushing too)

Two, the design of game/TV blend was clearly not popular and if anything had a negative association with XB1 launch. The game was obviously intended to fit with a demographic that embraced XB1 for TV/media as well as games and highlight both mediums. When that aspect of XB1 died at market the game increasingly felt like a relic from an alternative reality as time went on. More where XB1 media aspects were broadly embraced.

Three, it's short and SP only and yet again is focused on a core mechanic in the same vein as Alan Wake. That's a real tough sell on console currently. I suspect the market expects Uncharted 4 level of no expense spared expansiveness from SP TPS for exclusives and even Uncharted has MP firmly established now. Popular SP only on console today tends to be larger, more open adventure titles like Witcher or Fallout.

Four, has to be said, it's on the less popular console with smaller install base.

Five, on PC at launch it got caught up in UWP arguments and launched too early (by that I mean it shouldn't have launched until they'd removed the up scaling and could render native and had a damn quit option). Peak launch sales were obviously hurt in the crossfire of PC gamer criticism of UWP and perception it was a console port that didn't meet PC standards. By time it was patched damage to perception was done.

Five B: it's Windows store title on PC. I get why but that was always going to kill sales on PC. This game desperately needed to be on Steam.

In short, risky SP only short game elements aside the title got caught up over the years with all kinds of negative association even on PC when it was announced there.

It's sad but just looking at say Amazon YTD charts for UK and US shows how far down it is compared to other titles you'd expect it to be rubbing shoulders with. Add to that the huge PR focus over many years and clear statements from MS indicating hopes for it to be a big hit and a showcase and the game really hasn't been a success by any metric. Even critically it didn't stand out even if it wasn't shredded like say The Order.

So yeah, not a great situation. I'm presuming Remedy's new partner announcement indicates they're going to go multiplatfofm for their next release and I expect that to include Steam this time.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm presuming Remedy's new partner announcement indicates they're going to go multiplatfofm for their next release and I expect that to include Steam this time.

There's also a chance, however remote, that Sony may open up the checkbook and cockblock MS from getting Remedy's next game. They're looking to go for the jugular now.

Javin98

Banned
why would Sony waste money on Remedy? Nobody outside the internet cares about them.
........ Wrong thread, bruh?

I know a discussion on who Remedy's new partner is just started a few posts up, but the aggression just seems... weird.

Welfare

There's also a chance, however remote, that Sony may open up the checkbook and cockblock MS from getting Remedy's next game. They're looking to go for the jugular now.

Cockblocking another <150k debut is going for the jugular?

Single player AAA truly is dead.

It's up there. It's not that the games terrible or anything IMHO just a victim of multiple factors really conspiring against it.

One, it took too damn long to arrive from reveal. Remedy need to quit this (although may has been MS pushing too)

Two, the design of game/TV blend was clearly not popular and if anything had a negative association with XB1 launch. The game was obviously intended to fit with a demographic that embraced XB1 for TV/media as well as games and highlight both mediums. When that aspect of XB1 died at market the game increasingly felt like a relic from an alternative reality as time went on. More where XB1 media aspects were broadly embraced.

Three, it's short and SP only and yet again is focused on a core mechanic in the same vein as Alan Wake. That's a real tough sell on console currently. I suspect the market expects Uncharted 4 level of no expense spared expansiveness from SP TPS for exclusives and even Uncharted has MP firmly established now. Popular SP only on console today tends to be larger, more open adventure titles like Witcher or Fallout.

Four, has to be said, it's on the less popular console with smaller install base.

Five, on PC at launch it got caught up in UWP arguments and launched too early (by that I mean it shouldn't have launched until they'd removed the up scaling and could render native and had a damn quit option). Peak launch sales were obviously hurt in the crossfire of PC gamer criticism of UWP and perception it was a console port that didn't meet PC standards. By time it was patched damage to perception was done.

Five B: it's Windows store title on PC. I get why but that was always going to kill sales on PC. This game desperately needed to be on Steam.

In short, risky SP only short game elements aside the title got caught up over the years with all kinds of negative association even on PC when it was announced there.

It's sad but just looking at say Amazon YTD charts for UK and US shows how far down it is compared to other titles you'd expect it to be rubbing shoulders with. Add to that the huge PR focus over many years and clear statements from MS indicating hopes for it to be a big hit and a showcase and the game really hasn't been a success by any metric. Even critically it didn't stand out even if it wasn't shredded like say The Order.

So yeah, not a great situation. I'm presuming Remedy's new partner announcement indicates they're going to go multiplatfofm for their next release and I expect that to include Steam this time.

The problem with Quantum Break is that the game has amazing shooting sections wrapped around live action video that was on par with a straight to DVD production and platforming that was lackluster, at best. I think if they had removed the live action stuff and made the platforming better, the game would have been highly reviewed and sold much better.

Abdiel

Out of curiosity, how do the Persona 5 preorders compare to FFXV?

Also any chance you can comment on this?

Basically it would be super helpful to get some idea of how many of these limited Edition Uncharted 4 consoles there were in stock. A few of us have very different ideas of just how limited the bundle is likely to be and some clarification would be much appreciated.

So, persona 5 just had its preorders open, so they've just started accruing. It's not really a fair comparison, when we've been accepting then for xv since the 2013 reveal. However, ps4 sku seems healthy, it's not going to be the same mainstream volume (persona is not final fantasy) but it could do really well, and I hope it does. It looks awesome.

As to the uncharted bundle, our stock of them mostly sold, but there's still some available in each store. We had more than just a few per store, quite a few actually, more than enough to cover any preorders and then some. My store has two left.

ps3ud0

Eh the single player story driven action game genre has become an incredibly difficult sell this gen. Only the biggest and most effectively marketed titles of this ilk seem to avoid dismal sales. So it's not entirely Quantum Breaks fault but I really don't think the live action episodes helped their case. Most consumers seemed rather down on the whole concept from the get go.

There are more things to software and sales, ps3udo, than are portrayed in our data.

Damn, all the genres I love seem to be dying :(

Thanks though

ps3ud0 8)

Sony does not need Remedy. They already have that style of game on lockdown. Well, "had" since UC seems to be retiring for the time being.

Uncharted isn't SP only and that would be more of an exception to the rule anyway.

I still don't agree, games like Dishonored, Doom, Wolfenstein keep getting made, and seem to to fine in the long run. Don't see that many buying UC, Doom etc..for MP.

Top Bottom