• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 7th | UK General Election 2015 OT - Please go vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be voting Tory again.

In school we were taught about the importance of voting, and that if you didn't like any of the main parties, instead of not voting it is better to vote for a small party even if it doesn't have a chance of getting in. Reason being, if all the people who said they weren't voting voted Green instead, it probably wouldn't be enough to get them in, but it may be enough to make the big parties take notice. The big parties would wonder why there was a sudden leap in votes for Green, and would possibly look to take on some of the Green policies as a way to bring those voters over to them. End result, big party gets a few better policies, and your vote did make a difference.

That lesson always stuck with me, and I always think now that it's such a waste when people don't vote, they won't think it's because you don't agree with any of the main parties, they'll just think it's because you're lazy, or you just don't care.

Jim Murphy hilarity. More from him on Question Time, yey!

[EDIT - Note to Paxman, Cameron and the entire Westminster circus...

...Salmond is no longer leader of the SNP.]

I love the UK press. Paxo is pretty much "bigger" than any politician, inc DC. I can't imagine that happening in many other countries. I know in France the press are deferential to the point of queasiness, and I can't imagine anyone giving any US President this kind of battering. I'm glad we have politicians that do it, too.

In school we were taught about the importance of voting, and that if you didn't like any of the main parties, instead of not voting it is better to vote for a small party even if it doesn't have a chance of getting in. Reason being, if all the people who said they weren't voting voted Green instead, it probably wouldn't be enough to get them in, but it may be enough to make the big parties take notice. The big parties would wonder why there was a sudden leap in votes for Green, and would possibly look to take on some of the Green policies as a way to bring those voters over to them. End result, big party gets a few better policies, and your vote did make a difference.

That lesson always stuck with me, and I always think now that it's such a waste when people don't vote, they won't think it's because you don't agree with any of the main parties, they'll just think it's because you're lazy, or you just don't care.
Completely agree with you and I wish the young people of the UK would get out and vote, for whoever. Just vote for someone (not the tories though ;-) )

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, and he one-up'd Paxman. Loving this, loving it.

Ed's doing well but I think he's being a bit high-and-mighty for someone who's got more than a few blemishes on the ol' dirty politicking record.

HAHAHA. "Let me tell you... right..." queue laughter.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
#VoteLabour
10647075_927174113990104_2605981487837102603_n.jpg

Jezbollah

I do give Ed in separating himself from the 2003 war decision.

But he will get destroyed by the likes of Putin on the foreign scene. It is amongst my biggest fears of a Labour government.

I'm not a huge fan of Paxo's lines of enquiry here. There are so many better things to challenge him on. You don't need to ask him if he knows people think he's weak. There are so, so many other things that are more relevant and useful and - since I think this is Paxo's goal - damaging.

Empty

lots of bad answers but overall good for miliband's image. really shown his real self not just the myth created by how unphotogenic he is. passionate, funny, sincere.

Jezbollah

I think from the Paxman interviews, Cameron was pretty consistent throughout - Ed on the other hand was a bit flustered early on but came back pretty well.

I'd score that a draw.

Uzzy

Ed got a bit flustered at the start with the questions on immigration, but recovered very well. Seemed genuinely passionate, and I liked his reminder that we're a United Kingdom, not just a bunch of colonies of the South East.

Wes

venison crêpe
I bet the opinion polls will be in favour of labour tomorrow

Well the Lib Dems would've got 100+ seats last time around if the polls after the first debate in the last election were to be believed.

But I think Ed would've come off better of the two for sure. But that's what everyone expected.

Viewing figures would've been interesting. Will people have turned over during the Paxman bit with Ed to watch the 10pm news?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

This all the way. Your vote isn't wasted even if you think it will be. I think it was the 1992 election when 51% - yes 51% - of a substantial poll said that they would vote LibDem if they thought they had a chance of winning. That was a big opportunity missed by all of them who chose not to vote or to vote other than for their convictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom