• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: PS3 Price Drop Coming in August (Gamescom)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/45051/PS3-17999-from-August

Industry expects new bargain price for PS3 to be announced in August; Will bargain 360 and Wii bundles help reignite the market?

Sony is planning another Gamescom barnstormer – with a PlayStation 3 price cut on the cards.

An announcement is expected at the August event in Cologne. Trade insiders are hoping for an RRP of £199.99, with retail prepared to go to £179.99.

But Microsoft might have to act in response if it wants 360 to be the No.1 console. That means a price drop or a value-oriented Kinect bundle are possibilities.

Both Sony and Microsoft gave us a ‘no comment’ when questioned about upcoming price activity.

This has been an expensive generation for hardware. This far in and we're just barely approaching sub-$200 price points for all the consoles. Maybe.

snap0212

If Sony drops the price of the PS3 in August, Microsoft will have a price drop in September.

I'm interested to see how a price drop would affect the US sales. People buy an Xbox if their friends have one already. However, one of my buddies bought an Xbox recently simply because he was able to get it for less than he'd have paid for a PS3. He's the first of my friends to buy an Xbox. I'm not really sure what the deciding factor for the average player really is: friends or the price.
Massa said:
How much is that in real money
202 Euro. :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
$199 is definitely coming. The PS3 Black Ops bundles are being sold with a $50 giftcard on top of them at some retailers currently.

Pranay

Awesome News

Many friends of mine have not purchased a console this gen and i guess it will be a perfect time to buy one when a price drop occurs!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hanmik said:
I just bought a PS3 .. so off course they will lower the price now..

You should have looked up the price history of the console. September marks the 2nd year since the last official price drop (by way of the Slim) and if you had known that your brain would've told you to 'wait and see'. :p

Nert

Hanmik said:
------------

I just bought a PS3 .. so off course they will lower the price now..

I bought a PS3 about three weeks before the announcement of the slim model and the concurrent price drop. Oh well, I guess : /

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ratrat said:
Hope they drop in Japan as well.

I8UGs.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
£199 wouldn't typically translate to $199.

$199 would be amazing this year but I'd be surprised if they skipped the $249 mark.

Hanmik

JaseC said:
You should have looked up the price history of the console. September marks the 2nd year since the last official price drop (by way of the Slim) and if you had known that your brain would've told you to 'wait and see'. :p

my brain told me to wait..but Gaf told me to buy a new one.. because my old PS3 had YLOD´ed..

Marius_ said:
Price cut rumors, doom articles, Uncharted....... feels like 2009 all over again.
let's just take this out and it feels like every year.

Every month or so I can always count on a good old doom and gloom Sony thread.

Jomjom

Banned
Knowing Sony this will be a measly $50 price drop that won't matter at all. General public does not see much difference in $299 and $249. Either drop $100 or don't even bother.

gofreak said:
£199 wouldn't typically translate to $199.

$199 would be amazing this year but I'd be surprised if they skipped the $249 mark.

They went from $600 to $500 to $400 to $300.

Sony has never dropped the price by less than $100. $200 would make perfect sense.

Kagari said:
$199 is definitely coming. The PS3 Black Ops bundles are being sold with a $50 giftcard on top of them at some retailers currently.

I got mine a week ago at Best Buy with a $100 Best Buy gift card and $40 worth of Albertsons' gift cards. Bought a $100 Visa gift card with the BB gift card. Selling Black Ops for $40 so that's $160 + tax with $40 worth of groceries.

Perfect time to buy another PS3. :)

Fuck, I read this as "MVC3 PRICE DROP COMING IN AUGUST" and got hyped for the second iteration or whatever. :(

I guess I could get excited for a PS3 price drop.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Deadly Joker said:
They went from $600 to $500 to $400 to $300.

Sony has never dropped the price by less than $100. $200 would make perfect sense.

Yeah, but when the price was higher, $100 drops were proportionately smaller than they would be now. At some point they'd have to migrate to smaller drops, I'd be surprised if they didn't do that with the next one.

Plus their forecast for the FY is - what - 16m units? It doesn't seem like a very aggressive forecast if they're going to have a 199 PS3 this holiday. I dunno though, maybe the market is slowing. (Working off the top of my head here, though - can anyone confirm the forecast?)

gofreak said:
Yeah, but when the price was higher, $100 drops were proportionately smaller than they would be now. At some point they'd have to migrate to smaller drops, I'd be surprised if they didn't do that with the next one.

Plus their forecast for the FY is - what - 16m units? It doesn't seem like a very aggressive forecast if they're going to have a 199 PS3 this holiday. I dunno though, maybe the market is slowing. (Working off the top of my head here, though - can anyone confirm the forecast?)

The forecast for this fiscal year was 15m.

Top Bottom