• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: PS3 Price Drop Coming in August (Gamescom)

Luckyman said:
MS and Sony can truly fuck up with Wii U if they want
What does this mean? MS and Sony secretly making Wii U?

Or did you mean 'they can truly fuck up' or 'truly fuck with'?

Also, I see this happening when Wii U releases in late 2012:

Microsoft drops the Xbox 360 to $99.99 from wherever it's at (probably $150 at that time)
Sony drops the PS3 to either $99.99 to match Microsoft or $149.99 to maintain their Sony-ness.

Both of those price drops will keep PS3 and 360 selling strong.

I'm all for price cuts, but surely the smarter move would be to have some kind of value bundle alongside the Vita release instead of a price cut now.

$399.99 nets you a Vita and PS3 160gb, makes sense given the connectivity between the two and might help Vita sales.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Deadly Joker said:
The forecast for this fiscal year was 15m.

Well that's even less congruent with $199, IMO. Unless at this stage in the lifecycle platforms really have to run that fast just to 'stay put', so to speak (?)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
gofreak said:
Well that's even less congruent with $199, IMO. Unless at this stage in the lifecycle platforms really have to run that fast just to 'stay put', so to speak (?)

They just barely missed 15 million last FY at $299. I don't think they would make it by just dropping $50.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Kagari said:
They just barely missed 15 million last FY at $299. I don't think they would make it by just dropping $50.
Do you think they'll also announce game bundles along with the price drop at gamescom?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mr_Brit said:
Do you think they'll also announce game bundles along with the price drop at gamescom?

Holiday bundles aren't announced until closer to November, at least in the US.

If MS doesn't drop to $150 when Sony drops to $199, can anyone else see the PS3 sales spiking and pulling hard past Xbox 360? I really see $199 as the magical price point that'll put the PS3 into a lot of homes, especially since it doubles as a very solid, well-updated Blu-Ray player.

yurinka

I think $50 price cut is enough to reach the 15M target in addition to a Move bundle price cut.

But if $100 price cut is coming I think sales can even higher than 15M.

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:
If MS doesn't drop to $150 when Sony drops to $199, can anyone else see the PS3 sales spiking and pulling hard past Xbox 360? I really see $199 as the magical price point that'll put the PS3 into a lot of homes, especially since it doubles as a very solid, well-updated Blu-Ray player.

Not in the US.

yurinka

Karma said:
Not in the US.
I think it would match 360 numbers in USA and UK, but would clearly surpass it all the other main markets like Japan or the other Euro markets.

And it would finally surpass it clearly in worldwide LTD numbers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Kagari said:

I dunno. Historically $299->$199 has seen volumes spike in a big way...right? At least I've always been under that impression.

But they would now see that 'just' giving them 700k more units over the previous fiscal year?

To me that expectation smells more of a smaller drop and value-adds. Could be wrong of course.

Rhindle

They've had at least $50 of incentives on the console since January, and these days it's more like $100 of incentives.

A $50 price cut won't do anything. At best, they might try for a $249 Uncharted3 bundle.

Dambrosi

Banned
Not surprised. The entire UK games retail front has shat itself as of late. The games retailers desperately need something other than overly fussy parents buying Kinects to get their fat spoiled kids off their arses and give them some exercise for a change so that the council don't put them in a home to drive games sales.

This...might do it, but I sincerely doubt it will have much of an effect, to be honest. People simply have far higher priorities in these difficult economic times, like paying the ever-rising price of food and rent, to worry about another box under the telly they're still making payments on, thanks to the banks fucking us all over.

This'll make it €50 / £30 cheaper than Vita, £50 cheaper if UK retailers really do sell them at £179.99... that could have interesting implications, they should look at Nintendo and realise that Sony products *can* compete with Sony products.

My fat PS3 died, so I may be interested in picking up a slim, provided I can get a good deal.

Mr_Brit

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
This'll make it €50 / £30 cheaper than Vita, £50 cheaper if UK retailers really do sell them at £179.99... that could have interesting implications, they should look at Nintendo and realise that Sony products *can* compete with Sony products.

My fat PS3 died, so I may be interested in picking up a slim, provided I can get a good deal.
VITA hasn't been priced in the UK yet, any prices so far are just estimations by retailers.

bjaelke

Now I don't know if I should get a PS3 next week and claim the welcome pack packages (I have 2 accounts) or save the money for the price drop and then use the saved money on some other games.

Mr_Brit said:
VITA hasn't been priced in the UK yet, any prices so far are just estimations by retailers.

Going on previous launch prices of gaming hardware in the UK where the equivalent prices were $250 / €250, it'd be an educated guess to say around £230 for the wifi model and £250-279 for the 3G model. A £199 or £179 PS3 would definitely be below Vita's UK launch price.

Jezbollah

I am wondering what price the PS2 was when the PS3 was announced?

It may be that they use the same model of pricing - if they do then we may get a clear indicator as to when the PS4 is announced - if they go by past trends..

allan-bh

°°ToMmY°° said:
Mrsp in uk is 250 pounds. If it goes to 199 or 179, that's a 100 dollars/euro price cut.

In euros MSRP is $299,99

So, $50 pounds price cut is more likely $50 euros price cut

duk

Banned
BoobPhysics101 said:

ps3 wont pass up 360 in the US this gen

Xater

allan-bh said:
In euros MSRP is $299,99

So, $50 pounds price cut is more likely $50 euros price cut

Is is probably the most confusing thing ever written.
KuGsj.gif

Anyway a $199 PS3 would be interesting. Just imagine the Wii U arriving in such a market place.

RPGamer92

Banned
$200 would make more sense because who would want to be a $250 console when they could buy a $250 handheld (Vita) with very identical power/specs?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Even if Sony drops the price on the PS3 I really don't see the 360 dropping in price any time soon, would seem foolish considering how well they are doing atm.

cjelly said:
It's been £199 since about April.

Not rrp though, if it hits £199 rrp then that means we'll most probably be paying around £179 like it says in the original post or even less tbh.

RPGamer92

Banned
Honestly, has Kinect been making that big an impact on 360 sales since January? I haven't heard any news about Kinect since since it sold 8 million. MS didn't even mention Kinect sales in their E3 briefing which makes me think it hasn't been selling like MS hoped it would.

PSFan said:
Honestly, has Kinect been making that big an impact on 360 sales since January? I haven't heard any news about Kinect since since it sold 8 million. MS didn't even mention Kinect sales in their E3 briefing which makes me think it hasn't been selling like MS hoped it would.
Kinec sales news was conspicuous by its absence at E3. I get the feeling that Kinect sales have slowed down since March because of the complete lack of new software, or wouldn't surprise me if Move sales overtake Kinect sales worldwide before the end of this year.

PSFan said:

In April I think they said the worldwide sales of Kinect Sports and Dance Central added up to 5 million, which... struck me as rather low to be honest. Perhaps everyone else is building killer robots with them. They'll take over the world one way or another.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
PSFan said:
What has this got to do with a potential PS3 price cut? Seems like spouting nonsense for the sake of it.

cjelly said:
What has this got to do with a potential PS3 price cut? Seems like spouting nonsense for the sake of it.

It's all related really. The state of competing devices is very important to PS3 sales potential...

RPGamer92

Banned
cjelly said:
That Kinect was suppose to drive 360 sales way above PS3's yet it doesn't appear to be doing so.

Top Bottom