• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: PS3 Price Drop Coming in August (Gamescom)

Rhazer Fusion said:
Still calling a price drop to $249, if one happens.

Because Sony has projected the same numbers as last year at $299 and the dip in sales hasn't been that drastic, I think $249 will bump them up to previous numbers. I am putting my bet in too that a full $100 won't happen in view of recent announcements by the company.

$249 with a pack in first party title.

Toki767

I'm definitely hoping for a price drop since my 40gb died. $199 would be nice but I just don't see them making it that low. For $250 though I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a new one seeing as I really want one in time for all the Fall games.

OldJadedGamer said:
Because Sony has projected the same numbers as last year at $299 and the dip in sales hasn't been that drastic, I think $249 will bump them up to previous numbers. I am putting my bet in too that a full $100 won't happen in view of recent announcements by the company.

$249 with a pack in first party title.

After Q1 being down 25% they need to sell 1.3 million more than last year, not just meet the number.

I think 200 is what it will be. Sony has a lot of studios that need to sell software, it's in their best interest at this point to really get hardware out there.

Nizz

Kagari said:
$199 is definitely coming. The PS3 Black Ops bundles are being sold with a $50 giftcard on top of them at some retailers currently.
That price point would be awesome. The more people that can enjoy a PS3 the better. If it does end up going to $199.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If the PS3 drops to 199$ I'm finally buying one in a hearth beat. Just in time for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

tigerin

Special J said:
gj necro old thread :p

but i doubt the price will drop in usa. will probably be limited to europe where the ps3 is ~$350+ US.

i've been watching this thread like a hawk man. lol

but if it was only a 50 dollars price drop, then i would have got the black ops bundle with the $50 giftcard at gamestop. as trading black ops would gets me some credits.

here i'm hoping it would be $200 dollars. knowing gamestop with their greediness, i can't see why they would put a giftcard on top of the bundle.

btw, sony is planning to remodel the ps3 slim by adding in a smaller fan and take away the wifi led ligh(plus a few other minor changes), right? supposedly this month, thus a cheaper and affordable ps3. maybe that's one of the reason gamestop tried to cleared up the stocks and get in the new model.

here's the link.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434523

Jomjom

Banned
If they are only going to drop to $249, they shouldn't even bother. Might as well leave it at $299 and make some more profit. No one is going to care if it only drops a measly $50. I personally feel $199 isn't even low enough because MS can easily go down to that price.

jling84 said:
If they are only going to drop to $249, they shouldn't even bother. Might as well leave it at $299 and make some more profit. No one is going to care if it only drops a measly $50. I personally feel $199 isn't even low enough because MS can easily go down to that price.

Or $250 with a pack in game and maybe an updated system with 802.11n or something.

And the 360 is already at $199, they would drop to $150 but I think it's too soon for them to hit $99 even though I think they could afford it. Their sales are up so they have no rush to drop the price like Sony does right now but they can't let Sony be the same price as them.

x3r0123

hmm somehow I feel bad for paying the full price at launch... but price drops happens eventually so nothing I can do about it.

Revolver

Still holding out hope for $199. I'll jump to a slim at that price. I've noticed a couple of stores near me have been out of stock for a couple of weeks. So I'm hoping a price drop is imminent.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
laika09 said:
For $199 I'll upgrade to a slim.

I'd like to buy a Slim on the cheap for 3.6+ games and keep my current "fat" PS3 (CFW) as a region-free BD player.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I think the Vita will be a tough sell at $250/$300 if the PS3 is selling for $200.

Possible we see them both drop to $200?

Toki767

Skel1ingt0n said:
I think the Vita will be a tough sell at $250/$300 if the PS3 is selling for $200.

Possible we see them both drop to $200?
The PSP came out at $250 while the PS2 was $200 if not less I believe.

GSR

A $200 price point would make a PS3 extremely tempting for me, I have to say. It just seems to have more/better exclusives than the 360 these days, and there's no way I can lug my gaming desktop to uni. But then, of course, being at uni precludes playing catch-up on five years of games - so even if it does hit $200 I'll probably have to pass.

Maybe if my roommate is interested in it, but I doubt it - he does lug his gaming desktop to uni, and I don't think he's much interested in console gaming.

GSR said:
A $200 price point would make a PS3 extremely tempting for me, I have to say. It just seems to have more/better exclusives than the 360 these days, and there's no way I can lug my gaming desktop to uni. But then, of course, being at uni precludes playing catch-up on five years of games - so even if it does hit $200 I'll probably have to pass.

Maybe if my roommate is interested in it, but I doubt it - he does lug his gaming desktop to uni, and I don't think he's much interested in console gaming.

Doesn't mean you have to buy all the games at once. And you're lucky that the exclusives you'll want to play, you'll be able to find them all for $20 or so.

Truespeed

$100 seems like a pretty steep price drop for a system selling relatively well. I'm guessing it's more like $249. $199 would be insane, though.

My prediction is that they're going to go to 199.99 and there won't be another price drop for a very long time. It's imperative for them to drop the price of the console under 200 dollars because of how old the PS3 is. 199.99 would be a price point that is ideal for people looking for a second PS3, people wanting to own a second HD console, and for people that have wanted a PS3 but found the entry price to be too steep. Centering this around the launch of Uncharted 3 could be enormously successful for them.

Another thing to consider is that their software sales have been impressive and it would likely benefit them to increase PS3 hardware sales to feed into that even more.

I really hope the drop the price to $199 for future owners of the console
i had to get a new one in june, i tried to fix my old 80GB backwards compatibility one, but still no use it YLOD, at least i got it when you buy one at best buy is $100 dollar gift card i'd still enjoy that price! heh

Top Bottom