• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: PS3 Price Drop Coming in August (Gamescom)

[Nintex] said:
Based on what?

Games. Move gets them, Kinect doesn't. That on rails Fable game and a few exercise games are all I can see on the Kinect schedule this year, maybe some Forza can move some units.

Sony have been supporting Move with first party games at least, Infamous 2, Resistance 3 and Killzone 3 all have baked in Move support.

RPGamer92

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Did you miss last holiday season in the US, were you even born back then?
Did you miss where I said "since January" in my post? I haven't seen a single Kinect "exclusive" game in the NPD top ten since launch.

[Nintex]

PSFan said:
Did you miss where I said "since January" in my post? Were you even born back then?
January NPD:
01. Call of Duty: Black Ops* (360, PS3, WII, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
02. Just Dance 2 (WII) Ubisoft
03. Dead Space 2* (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
04. Little Big Planet 2* (PS3) Sony
05. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (WII, 360, PS3) Majesco
06. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PSP, WII, PS2, PC) Take 2 Interactive
07. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood* (360, PS3) Ubisoft
08. Dance Central (360) MTV Games
09. Michael Jackson The Experience* (WII, DS, PSP) Ubisoft
10. DC Universe Online: The Next Legend Is You* (PS3, PC) Sony

Xbox 360 - 381,000
Wii - 319,000
PS3 - 267,000

RPGamer92

Banned
[Nintex] said:
January NPD:
01. Call of Duty: Black Ops* (360, PS3, WII, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
02. Just Dance 2 (WII) Ubisoft
03. Dead Space 2* (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts
04. Little Big Planet 2* (PS3) Sony
05. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (WII, 360, PS3) Majesco
06. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PSP, WII, PS2, PC) Take 2 Interactive
07. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood* (360, PS3) Ubisoft
08. Dance Central (360) MTV Games
09. Michael Jackson The Experience* (WII, DS, PSP) Ubisoft
10. DC Universe Online: The Next Legend Is You* (PS3, PC) Sony

Xbox 360 - 381,000
Wii - 319,000
PS3 - 267,000
Has there been a Kinect game in the top 10 from February-Now?

Lince

Banned
Labadal said:
Might buy myself a back up unit if this is true.

and I have a PS3 Slim 320 GB pack unopened / factory sealed (latest hardware revision before the recent 3000 models were announced this week)... I guess I was too paranoid about launch models dying and I wasn't ready to stop playing Demon's Souls... at the end of the day that launch system with PS2 B/C is still working as smooth as the first day. Of course I'm the OCD type and experienced enough in assembling/disassembling the unit to clean it thoroughly every 3-4 weeks.

[Nintex]

PSFan said:
Has there been a Kinect game in the top 10 from February-Now?
April 2011, Michael Jackson: The Experience, 8 on the multiplatform list, Xbox 360 version 5th on the individual SKU list.

bobbytkc said:
I do not think the response in the rest of the world is quite as enthusiastic .
We've seen Kinect Sports and Dance Central on the PAL charts often, Kinect Sports was on there for weeks on end.

It's all about the Zumba in the UK charts. PS3 Zumba sells around 10% of 360 Zumba, which in turn sells about 10% of Wii Zumba.
Move's impact is hard to judge, it doesn't seem to have been anywhere near as effective as Kinect for selling sports or dancing games, whether it can survive as a shooter/ psn peripheral alone I'm not sure.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
[Nintex] said:
April 2011, Michael Jackson: The Experience, 8 on the multiplatform list, Xbox 360 version 5th on the individual SKU list.

We've seen Kinect Sports and Dance Central on the PAL charts often, Kinect Sports was on there for weeks on end.
I thought we are talking about how kinect drive sales of the systems? I fail to see how that is of direct relevance. We have system numbers, use them if you want. The point is not whether direct has impact, but whether it significantly boosted sales of the 360 over the ps3 such that they require a reactionary strategy of a significant price drop.

[Nintex]

test_account said:
Why the personal insult?
Because I'm sick of the spinning. Kinect did great last holiday season and I don't like the thing at all. I've posted pictures stating "I'd rather drink my own piss than play with Kinect" but you guys simply can't ignore the facts. Just look up the NPD numbers with 5 minutes of google searching.

RPGamer92

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Because I'm sick of the spinning. Kinect did great last holiday season and I don't like the thing at all. I've posted pictures stating "I'd rather drink my own piss than play with Kinect" but you guys simply can't ignore the facts. Just look up the NPD numbers with 5 minutes of google searching.
Yes it did do great last holiday season but I was asking about just this year which looks like only one exclusive made a top ten (Dance Central in January, I'll admit) and the rest have all been multiplatform. It just seems fishy to me that MS hasn't bothered to mention Kinect sales since the holiday ones.

test_account

XP-39C²
[Nintex] said:
I understand. I actually dont think that he was spinning to be honest, but rather that he didnt belive (or was unaware of?) that Kinect did much for the Xbox 360 hardware sale.

RPGamer92

Banned
test_account said:
I understand. I actually dont think that he was spinning to be honest, but rather that he didnt belive (or was unaware of?) that Kinect did much for the Xbox 360 hardware sale.
Exactly I know Kinect did great during the holiday but I was wondering about this year. Again, no need for insults

DMeisterJ

Banned
Why is it Kinect vs Move in a PS3 price cut thread? o_O

Anyway, I think the definitely need more than a fifty dollar cut to make their projections this year, so I imagine it will be more than fifty.

Carl

My Europe launch 60GB is still chugging along somehow *touch wood* but if price drops i may have to retire the old girl and get a slim unit.

I get so paranoid about my 60gigger dying :(

AvidNobody said:
I'd love to pick up a new 360 250 gb w/ kinect for ~300 this year. Hopefully there are some great holiday deals.

It's already €300 on Amazon.
But how does this affect your percieved value of the PS3?

Metalmurphy said:
Might finally buy a slim if they end up putting a 802.11n card on a new model.

If they put a wireless N card in and drop it to $199 I will buy another model.

I have found that HD streaming is impossible w/o Wireless N since I've moved to a new house.

Also, I'll put my hat into the $199 camp too. I mean there was even an Amazon deal lately where you could have picked up a 160GB model for $199.99 w/o any gift cards.

MikeE21286 said:
If they put a wireless N card in and drop it to $199 I will buy another model.

I have found that HD streaming is impossible w/o Wireless N since I've moved to a new house.

Also, I'll put my hat into the $199 camp too. I mean there was even an Amazon deal lately where you could have picked up a 160GB model for $199.99 w/o any gift cards.
PS3 will never be upgraded. If anything, this new model will be slightly downgraded (no LED lights for instance). Besides, Sony never upgraded the PSP's wireless B.

Each $100 price cut on the ps3 has been because of a downgrade to the hardware. $400 40gb ps3 lacked ps2 BC, usb ports, card readers, hdd capacity compared to $500 model. $300 slim lacked touch sensitive buttons and had cheaper construction.

KingDizzi

Banned
DMeisterJ said:

Anyway, I think the definitely need more than a fifty dollar cut to make their projections this year, so I imagine it will be more than fifty.

People mad son. Some mad because PS3 will wipe the floor with 360 in EU after the price cut, some mad that 360 will continue to wipe the floor with PS3 in NA after the price cut. This is madness. :(

Wazzim

Banned
Funny note: £200/€225 is $320, more than the current price of the PS3 in the US. European Playstation fans are the real Playstation fans confirmed.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Wazzim said:
Funny note: £200/€225 is $320, more than the current price of the PS3 in the US. European Playstation fans are the real Playstation fans confirmed.
ASP for the PS3 has been $310 - $320 for most of this year in the U.S.

Corto

A PS3 cheaper than a PSVita could be challenging for me... Which one to buy first? A new shinny Slim to replace my 60GB, or be a first adopter and buy Vita day one? Hmmmmmm

FrankT

DMeisterJ said:

Doesn't really add up. Barely projecting more this year than last. I mean unless demand just dries up real quick. I stick with my guess at $50 US, but who knows. I expect at least that much from MS on the low end as well.

gcubed

Wazzim said:

taxes, how do they work?

Jtyettis said:
Doesn't really add up. Barely projecting more this year than last. I mean unless demand just dries up real quick. I stick with my guess at $50 US, but who knows. I expect at least that much from MS on the low end as well.

i dont see a price drop from MS, but rather a bundle realignment. Every 360 sold will include a kinect without the bundle pricing

LiK

Corto said:
A PS3 cheaper than a PSVita could be challenging for me... Which one to buy first? A new shinny Slim to replace my 60GB, or be a first adopter and buy Vita day one? Hmmmmmm
Depends on which one you wanna play more.

Meier

How easy is it to transfer data from one system to another? Is there any sort of transfer cable for the PS3 like the 360? I have two already but would be willing to replace my fat with another Slim if the price was right.

FrankT

gcubed said:
taxes, how do they work?

i dont see a price drop from MS, but rather a bundle realignment. Every 360 sold will include a kinect without the bundle pricing

Oh there will be a price drop. After 3 years with nothing and Mattrick noting number 1 WW there is no other way for that to happen and it still may not in the face of a Sony cut. At least $50 on the low end and probably bringing down the $250Gb Kinect bundle to $300. Already testing the waters now with all these promotions.

gcubed

Meier said:
How easy is it to transfer data from one system to another? Is there any sort of transfer cable for the PS3 like the 360? I have two already but would be willing to replace my fat with another Slim if the price was right.

there is a transfer utility in the ps3, i think you use a crossover network cable? havent done it

Jtyettis said:
Oh there will be a price drop. After 3 years with nothing and Mattrick noting number 1 WW there is no other way for that to happen and it still may not in the face of a Sony cut. At least $50 on the low end and probably bringing down the $250Gb Kinect bundle to $300. Already testing the waters now with all these promotions.

i dont see the low end going below 199, but i can definitely see the 199 including a kinect, maybe the upper ends dropping 50. I also dont see the PS3 dropping $100, that should put it above the 15m number

FrankT

gcubed said:
there is a transfer utility in the ps3, i think you use a crossover network cable? havent done it

i dont see the low end going below 199, but i can definitely see the 199 including a kinect, maybe the upper ends dropping 50. I also dont see the PS3 dropping $100, that should put it above the 15m number

So somehow they maintain lead, but yet let go of the pricing difference they have had all this generation? Not gonna happen. They will move on the lower end as well. This Aug $199 will be three years old it's beyond time, and Mattrick sounded pretty confindent as he did last year after the Slim reveal. There is really no other card they can play to maintain such lead or build to one WW. Oh you are saying $50 read that wrong. I still maintain they will go to $149 this fall.

gcubed

Jtyettis said:
So somehow they maintain lead, but yet let go of the pricing difference they have had all this generation? Not gonna happen. They will move on the lower end as well. This Aug $199 will be three years old it's beyond time, and Mattrick sounded pretty confindent as he did last year after the Slim reveal. There is really no other card they can play to maintain such lead or build to one WW. Certanly not in the face of a $199 PS3 as you suggest with a 4GB at the same price.

no no, i DON'T see a ps3 dropping to 199. If they were going to drop it 100 i see a higher projected sales number which they didnt do.

FrankT

gcubed said:
no no, i DON'T see a ps3 dropping to 199. If they were going to drop it 100 i see a higher projected sales number which they didnt do.

Yea I corrected that after re-reading. Still though we will see a lower end cut is my guess at this point. They could play one other card with a new slim-slim but that looks at least a year off with the 320GB Gears SKU revealed for Sept, if it ever happens again.

offshore

£199.99 is just still too much.

£179.99 could work, but pretty much every retailer would have to mark it at that price for it to be a success. But even then, MS would probably reduce the price of the 360, and the PS3 will be the most expensive once again.

Wazzim

Banned
gcubed said:
taxes, how do they work?
$266.66 without taxes, it's $285 on Amazon right now; so even excluding taxes, with the price drop, it's still only ~$20 less than the US price right now. And yeah I know why they do it and all but it still amazes me every time I do the conversion.

crispyben

Anecdotal evidence for 50€/$/£ crowd: all PS3 consoles (160GB solo, 320GB I2, 320GB Move, 320GB TS4, 320GB KZ3, 320GB LBP2+KZ3, 320GB Sims 3+KZ3...) have just dropped 50€ to 249€/299€ at Fnac (largest French electronics retailer), instore and online. Even though it says "special offer", it also says "price drop on all PS3 consoles", which sounds pretty permanent to me. Will it drop another 50€ after Gamescom? I guess they could be trying to make a quick buck in the meantime...

Elios83

offshore said:
£199.99 is just still too much.

£179.99 could work, but pretty much every retailer would have to mark it at that price for it to be a success. But even then, MS would probably reduce the price of the 360, and the PS3 will be the most expensive once again.

That doesn't mean a lot, it's not about who has the lower price but about reaching price milestones which open key markets.
Kinect for example is overpriced at 150$ (also compared to Move) but it has successfully attracted a more casual audience to the 360 in the US.
For the PS3 the 199$ price is a huge deal even if competition is still cheaper because it would be the first time in 5 years on the market that the product has a price finalized at mass market adoption.
That of course if they really drop to 199€ and not 249€. I might start asking to my retail sources what's hapenning this year, although it's a bit early, usually they order the new model in mid-late July.

gwarm01

My 40GB is still chugging along, seems to work as good as the day I bought it. In a fantasy world they could release a PS3 that was as small was the PSone. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom