• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor - Beta starts June 21st [EA-CONF]

LQX

Videos shows promise but I really hope this game does not feel like a battlefield game. That was my biggest worry with Dice doing it. Medal of Honor has always had a sort of COD feel more than BF one and I hope that's not lost.

-viper-

Banned
KZObsessed said:
Looks like a cross between Modern Warfare and BFBC which is great but there's barely any recoil. The shooting doesn't look in any way enjoyable.
The shooting has more recoil than MW2.

edit: LQX, I completely agree. I honestly don't like Battlefield BC2. Also this seems to have vehicles in. I HATE vehicles.

It just kind of looks like a BC2 mod, which it pretty much is too. And the way they've made it different is to make it faster paced and weapon handling simpler seems like. More like MW2. Scaled back destruction?

Not sure if want.

Think I'd rather keep playing BC2...and if they were to release some damn maps maybe I would. It's been what three months, and I can still only access six of the eight maps. And that whole thing is of course another reason to be skeptical of Medal of Honor. The chance is moderately high that they'll pull the same stunt again, in which case I'm definitely out.

But I might pre-order for the beta. And then cancel.

Of all the eye-roll inducing stuff I saw yesterday, this game made me roll my eyes the most.
They took BC2 (literally) and removed all vehicles and maybe sped it up a little bit...pow "Medal of Honor" is reborn.

KZObsessed

-viper- said:

That's not really saying anything at all. And you know how much I hate the gunplay in CoD.

The guns are almost completely static in this while holding down the trigger. I don't like that, I enjoy having to control the recoil and therefore spread of the guns in frantic situations. There's nothing more satisfying that winning a 3 vs 1 in a shooter because you've kept your cool under fire and maintained accuracy due to controling the recoil/spread.

I wouldn't find the gunplay in this engaging over the longterm. I could probably get about 20 hours of enjoyment out of it before getting bored so it may still be worth a purchase if the SP is qulaity and a decent length. No more 5 hour MW2 bullshit.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
dexterslu said:
If you've already got your code, how did you get it? where did you preorder it? I've got VIP and want to play on the 17th but it doesn't look like amazon will begin e-mailing codes until long after the head start is over..

Yeah, wtf this is all about?

dexterslu

GameStop has finally updated their site with Pre-Order info:

"Reserve Medal Of Honor and receive guaranteed access to the multiplayer beta. Online preorder customers will be emailed beta codes beginning 6/18/2010. Beta begins 6/21/10. Available online and in-store while supplies last.*

Online Customers: A code and instructions on how to redeem your beta invitation will be emailed within 2 business days of reservation, beginning 6/21/2010 – 7/18/2010.

Store / In-Store Pickup Customers: A pre-order card containing a code and instructions on how to redeem your beta invitation will be available at time of reservation, beginning 6/21/2010 – 7/18/2010."

I'm going to go a head and pre-order my copy online at GameStop as well..just to be safe.

Not surprising given who's developing this, but god damn at the mortar thuds.

As for hunting down the beta, meh. I'll stick with paintball for the summer and wait for the retail version.

Lots of similarities to BFBC2 such as gun animations like bob, reloading, firing, etc. It also looks like there's no need to burst fire. :\

Looks great though and the assault mode is a welcome return to FPSs (haven't seen that in a game since TimeSplitters 3 or some shit?).

Oh and I'm guessing DICE has ditched bullets lead/drop to appease quick scoping/camping CoD tards.

-viper- said:

edit: LQX, I completely agree. I honestly don't like Battlefield BC2. Also this seems to have vehicles in. I HATE vehicles.

I'm guessing vehicles are only in specific objective modes such as the Assault mode.

PedroLumpy said:
That definitely looks like CoD, but the devils in the details. For those not on the MW2 train it looks interesting.

I personally am hoping for an end of the grind for weapons, perks, attachments etc. Balancing weapons is hard, no need to make it more complicated by limiting stuff to certain players. I hope they keep the treadmill for customizable stuff, I loved gold camo for CoD4.

It's been confirmed that there are UNLOCKABLE BEARDS.

I basically went to Amazon and preordered right that fucking second.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Confidence Man said:
$60 for PC on amazon. :/

Looks like they're jumping on the bandwagon.

Wow, I prepaid for the PC game when EA was having the PAX coupon code and it was 50$ then.. (30 with that coupon)

That sucks they are doing the 60$ PC game too...

dexterslu

TriangularDuck said:
It's been confirmed that there are UNLOCKABLE BEARDS.

I basically went to Amazon and preordered right that fucking second.

Yeah, I laughed when he said it but then I thought "holy shit, that's awesome" can't wait to give this a go.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Fuck you Activision. Fuck you and your $60 precedent.

And fuck you EA for following along.

If Crysis 2 is $60 on PC I'm going to be pissed. Its the one game I'd actually buy at that price, but I'll hate it if I have to.

vocab

$60, and preorder only beta. That's how you sell games!

Mr. Snrub said:
So I might be an idiot, but why could you not preorder, play beta, decide you don't like game, cancel preorder?

That's what I plan to do.

Just don't preorder on Steam.

It basically looks just like a less "cartoony" BF BC2 which is already pretty much CoD gameplay wise. Meh.

But the maps look big and thats a plus for me.

If they were going for a Call of Duty feel then surely 60fps was a must..

It seems the CoD series is the only console fps out there that can deliver that framerate.

Ok consider me hyped. I will probably preorder ASAP in time for the beta.

I'm not sure what it is that grabbed me, given that I really disliked BF:BC2. I think the fact that this looks like it is combining the fidelity of BC2 (without the fucking awful player/gun models) and I assume the fantastic audio, with the fast-paced, lone-wolf playstyle of COD. People might laugh - but that's why I prefer COD:MW and MW2 to the other shooters... I don't want to coordinate with a team or move in squads etc. I want to spawn and kill some people for points/EXP. It also seems to have fixed a major issue I had with BC2 - health:damage ratio. Looks like it only takes a few bullets to kill someone now... which I'd much prefer over Battlefields system.

Now I have to find how I'm going to balance Starcraft 2, Halo Reach, MoH, possibly COD:Black Ops, and Crackdown 2 this year. I assume I'll want to be playing all of them for quite a while.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Kinda wish they'd implement Bulletstorm's kill point overlay as opposed to that huge, obstructing smear.

G_Berry

Banned
Just pre-ordered on Steam!

steammm.jpg

Bring on the 17th!!!!!

Rahxephon91 said:
It basically looks just like a less "cartoony" BF BC2 which is already pretty much CoD gameplay wise. Meh.
But the maps look big and thats a plus for me.

Wat. Pretty sure BC2 and MW fanboys alike know this isn't true.

I'm curious and cautiously optimistic. On one hand, I told myself I'd never pay $60 for a PC game. On the other, this looks pretty fucking awesome and I'm glad they're attempting to strike a balance between teamwork and lone wolf via points earned. And on my last hand, it just looks fucking fun.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Erasus said:
Also I did not notice any killstreaks that stack into other killstreaks.

I did.

http://videos.pcgames.de/v/MuuqC3iXMpw/Medal-of-Honor/Multiplayer-Gameplay-E3-2010/

It happens a few times in that video but the clearest one is at the end, around the 10:20 mark. It looks like the way it works is that instead of a kill streak like MW, it's a "score streak" or whatever in MoH. In the video, his first streak reward is unlocked at 40 points. You can see the tracker for it above the ammo. Hitting 40 unlocked mortar or "intel" which is probably a UAV. He picked mortar, and got enough kills from the mortar strike to unlock another streak reward, the air strike IIRC. So they do stack.

I wonder if you customize them though. In the earlier parts of that video he has different types of ammo as score streak rewards.

kuYuri

Watching gameplay footage and I'm shocked to discover killstreak rewards in the game. I mean, I expected things to be copied from MW, but damn.

Also, $60 for PC. :(

I'm pretty disappointed that DICE decided to ditch the destruction found in BC2. I was dreaming of the new strategies that would have been opened up in Search and Destroy (or Objective as it was called in old MoHs). I imagined being able to create new creative ways of getting to the bomb site or flanking protectors when going to defuse. They said there will be some destruction, but I think it's going to be stupid shit like wood fences and other objects. Hopefully I am wrong and while there won't be complete destruction (BC2) there will be certain buildings, etc with weak walls.

Oh and I read that there isn't killstreak rewards, but point rewards. Like if you help your team, do objectives, and kill. Which is infinitely better because it rewards team play more than just camping in a shrub.

Drewsky

GeneralIroh said:
Is it easy to cancel preorder on steam? If I don't like whats in the beta will I be able to get a refund?
BFBC2 didn't run as well as I had hoped on my PC so I cancelled my preorder from Steam on that. It was pretty easy, just emailed them and they sent me back an email saying that the $50 had been credited to my account.

Might not work like that every time though.

Well guys i live in Turkey and i would like to try the beta. Here, there is not a single shop that offers pre-orders or such stuff and Amazon don't send PS3 games to Turkey. So either i pre-order it with a fake adress or i gotta do something similiar. Is there any website that i can pre-order then cancel it? And if they cut 5 dollars or so i would'nt care because beta will make my decision about buying the game or not. Also i am sure there will be an open beta or something like that in spring but i want to try this now. So any recommendations?

vocab

G_Berry said:
Why?

And does anyone know if this game will have dedicated PC servers?

Cause I'm sure you can't cancel preorders so easily on steam. Also, Killstreaks? And They stack? Oh boy. This game is going to be one giant lulz fest. I'm gonna clear servers out so damn fast.

Drewsky said:
BFBC2 didn't run as well as I had hoped on my PC so I cancelled my preorder from Steam on that. It was pretty easy, just emailed them and they sent me back an email saying that the $50 had been credited to my account.

Might not work like that every time though.
You can cancel prepurchases for a full refund. It's Valve policy.

Not really impressed, I mean if I wasn't told at first what it was, I would have thought I was watching MW2 footage at parts. And killstreaks? Ugh.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
BattleMonkey said:
Not really impressed, I mean if I wasn't told at first what it was, I would have thought I was watching MW2 footage at parts. And killstreaks? Ugh.

Which is exactly what I'm looking for. MW2 without all the shitty perks.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Mr. B Natural said:
Of all the eye-roll inducing stuff I saw yesterday, this game made me roll my eyes the most.
They took BC2 (literally) and removed all vehicles and maybe sped it up a little bit...pow "Medal of Honor" is reborn.
No.

They took CoD:MW.

Then ported it to Frostbite and added a couple classes. And beards.

edit:
If they were going for a Call of Duty feel then surely 60fps was a must..

It seems the CoD series is the only console fps out there that can deliver that framerate.
When I played MW2 on my PS3 it seemed to run at 30fps almost as often as 60fps. It isn't very stable.

Top Bottom