• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/01 - 09/07

jimbo

Banned
slaughterking said:
Infinite Undiscovery apparently sold 70.000 units first day.

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

Hot damn! Haters owned. Although I will admitt after the recent reviews even I expected it to do a lot less.

Looking forward to the hardware spike for next week.

And HEY donny2112 or PantherLotus!

Could you PLEASE post the Monthly hardware numbers in your OP before I have a breakdown. Don't make me PM your asses.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jimbo said:
Hot damn! Haters owned. Although I will admitt after the recent reviews even I expected it to do a lot less.

Looking forward to the hardware spike for next week.

Could you PLEASE post the Monthly hardware numbers in your OP before I have a breakdown. Don't make me PM your asses.

Handhelds tonight. I might do monthly MC vs. NPD comparisons, but donny did an AMAZING job yesterday in the NPD thread (put in article form on LC).

I'm not sure exactly what you'd like, other than totals. If you choose to do this yourself, you'd certainly have a valid contribution.

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Handhelds tonight. I might do monthly MC vs. NPD comparisons, but donny did an AMAZING job yesterday in the NPD thread (put in article form on LC).

I'm not sure exactly what you'd like, other than totals. If you choose to do this yourself, you'd certainly have a valid contribution.

I did:

Here's August 2008 monthly MC hardware numbers. Covers Aug 4 - Aug 31:

DS - 251,534
PSP - 212,182
Wii - 162,470
PS3 - 39,861
360 - 38,995
PS2 - 35,901

I just wanted you to list them as another column in your hardware table. You know, this week, last week, August, YTD, LTD and maybe have a last month column as well.

Brings things together nicely. That way we can compare this month to last month, not just this week/last week, we will have it all right there together in one table, be able to add/compare it to NPD and all this WITHOUT having to go looking through 4 or 5 MC threads anytime that needs to be brought up.

PS: If i knew how to do a table, I would do it for you, but I tried HTML coding and it didn't work because it's turned off .

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^^^aaaaaaaaaah! I see what you mean. Gimme some time. Dealing with wife stuff and friday night date things. Probably later.

Just saw this:

Raggy said:
Have you stopped doing predictions for next week Panther? I loved those.

Yeah, for now, for a couple reasons.

1. How many times can I say "Wii = 30k-60k, PS3 = 7k-16k, 360 = 1.5k-5k?" I mean, I can claim to be extremely accurate but how hard is it? Here's how:

2. Look at the past 12 weeks of data, compare to the previous year, adjust for big titles/accessories/SKUs. It's a solid method when we get data week to week, while it would never work in the NPD threads.

3. I might someday go back to it, probably when I'm bored. What I hope to create through my charts is an ability for ALL users (not just me) to see what is happening and make the same predictions for themselves.

4. Sales-Age is always looking for new brethren. Why not pick up the mantle using the method I described above? Just be honest about your results and you could have a nice little following.

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
^^^aaaaaaaaaah! I see what you mean. Gimme some time. Dealing with wife stuff and friday night date things. Probably later.

Ok. Cool. I know it takes time out of your day so we really appreciate it. And like I said, I wouldn't mind doing it, I just haven't figured out how to do a table on GAF.

Fady K

Good numbers for IU! Very very good for a new IP! If the game is as lazy as Error makes it out to be though - and thats coming from one of the biggest Tri-ace fans here - then it really is lucky to sell this much, undeservingly. Though Tales of Vesperia deserves to win the sales crown in the end =(

Kagari said:
Jesus christ, you don't have to be like that. It was a serious question.

Dont worry about him Kagari, learn not to expect any less from one of the biggest PS3 trollers and even bigger 360 fanboy on the board :lol

Paracelsus

jimbo said:
I still didn't. Could you fill me in? What's up with the lines?

- Kagari works at a videogame store.
- They (?) think/assume Kagari voluntarily "boosts" PS3 sales and belittles 360 and Wii ones when she does the US retail musings.

Now re-read the joke again.

then it really is lucky to sell this much, undeservingly.

Well, if Radiata sold how much, 295k (?), then IU has the right to sell as much as it want.

jimbo

Banned
Paracelsus said:
- Kagari works at a videogame store.
- They (?) think/assume Kagari voluntarily "boosts" PS3 sales and belittles 360 and Wii ones when she does the US retail musings.

Now re-read the joke again.

Well, if Radiata sold how much, 295k (?), then IU has the right to sell as much as it want.

Ahhhh got it now. Thanks.

It will be interesting to see what does better, IU or ToV. With ToV placing 33rd this week, I forsee it making a come back next week. It will be interesting to see which one of these two will do better, but both have a good chance of taking down BD eventually.

If elites and arcades really are going to get sold out how long until they get restocked? Unless that is very soon than it's a pretty big cock-up by MS.

jimbo

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
If elites and arcades really are going to get sold out how long until they get restocked? Unless that is very soon than it's a pretty big cock-up by MS.

True but at the same time, they LITERALLY have not been able to BUY this kind of publicity for the 360 in Japan. Even though they miss out on some hardware sales with them selling out, I think all of these little sell-outs will help them in the long term.

It's better to be viewed as to sell less after a big spike because your system is sold out, versus the usual decline because your system is not popular.

If they can sell enough consoles to make headlines every couple of weeks such as beating the PS3, or even the Wii....but still sell out, that's great for them I think. That creates excitement. I

basik

is any of japan gaf getting one piece unlimited cruise on wii? I think it came out yesterday and I need to know how import friendly it is.

rykomatsu

AdventureRacing said:

Restock on Amazon.co.jp I thought was supposed to be on 9/14

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MC-THREAD-HHCHARTS-TITLE.png

Click to enlarge:

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jimbo said:

Code:
[B][U]Hardware  | This Week | Last Week | Last Month |     YTD    |    LTD     [/U][/B]
DS        |   51,412  |   56,439  |    242,512 |  2,073,607 | 23,246,211
PSP       |   34,462  |   41,664  |    188,143 |  2,622,573 | 10,224,173
WII       |   33,128  |   35,755  |    157,092 |  2,035,354 |  6,687,269
PS3       |    8,317  |    9,775  |     38,505 |    639,404 |  2,290,855
360       |    1,044  |    3,124  |     15,077 |    131,507 |    641,972

:D

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Code:
[B][U]Hardware  | This Week | Last Week | August  | Last Month |     YTD    |    LTD     [/U][/B]
DS        |   51,412  |   56,439  | 251,534 |    242,512 |  2,073,607 | 23,246,211
PSP       |   34,462  |   41,664  | 212,182 |    188,143 |  2,622,573 | 10,224,173
WII       |   33,128  |   35,755  | 162,470 |    157,092 |  2,035,354 |  6,687,269
PS3       |    8,317  |    9,775  |  39,861 |     38,505 |    639,404 |  2,290,855
360       |    1,044  |    3,124  |  38,995 |     15,077 |    131,507 |    641,972

:D

Thank you. I went ahead and added August in there for ya.:D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jimbo said:
Thank you. I went ahead and added August in there for ya.:D

that would actually be incorrect. it's the last 4 weeks, not "august." it might work out this time, but that place will be the last four weeks from now on.

donny2112

Fady K said:
Dont worry about him Kagari, learn not to expect any less from one of the biggest PS3 trollers and even bigger 360 fanboy on the board

Congratulations, Jonnyram! You're now a PS3 troll/360 fanboy. Trophie Awarded/Achievement Unlocked!

Insert "Sonyram" pic here.
:lol

Fady K said:
Dont worry about him Kagari, learn not to expect any less from one of the biggest PS3 trollers and even bigger 360 fanboy on the board :lol

Oh shut the hell up already.
Fanboys calling each other fanboys adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

Fady K

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh shut the hell up already.
Fanboys calling each other fanboys adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

Yes, you're right. Thats when both are fanboys of course.

You see in my case I love my PS3, Wii, 360, DS, and PSP almost equally. Id love to see how im a fanboy.

Laguna

Banned
Hero said:
Is that really good for IUD? What was the budget for this game?

Actually it isn´t. Especially considering its budget (development- and marketing-wise) and even the "idea" to recoup this sales in the west doesn´t seem to work that well. Most recent examples ToV (wasn´t even in top 10 and thereof sold under 110k in the states its first week) and IU (ranked pretty low in Europe even in this slow sales period).

This sales are considered "good" here, because we know that the X360 and its games in general sell bad in Japan and it could have sold even worse. In other words we are just nice guys ;)

apujanata

Fady K said:

You see in my case I love my PS3, Wii, 360, DS, and PSP almost equally. Id love to see how im a fanboy.

Jonnyram is NOT an X360 fanboy/PS3 troll. If you claim that he is a fanboy, I would say you are also calling yourself fanboy. Previously, I thought that your comment was just a joke, but it seems that you are not joking.

Jonnyram Liking X360 != Jonnyram an X360 fanboy. Just like me liking PS2 != apujanata a PS2 fanboy.

Fady K said:

(neutral) Fady K
PS3, Wii, 360, DS, and PSP fanboy
(Today, 06:24 PM)
Reply | Quote

Fady K

apujanata said:
Jonnyram is NOT an X360 fanboy/PS3 troll. If you claim that he is a fanboy, I would say you are also calling yourself fanboy. Previously, I thought that your comment was just a joke, but it seems that you are not joking.

Jonnyram Liking X360 != Jonnyram an X360 fanboy. Just like me liking PS2 != apujanata a PS2 fanboy.

Of course liking something doesn't make you a fanboy, duh. If hes not a 360 fanboy then I guess hes just a Sony troll. If you're really free just go browse through his posting history.

BishopLamont said:
(neutral) Fady K
PS3, Wii, 360, DS, and PSP fanboy
(Today, 06:24 PM)
Reply | Quote

That doesn't sound so bad actually.

Vinnk

I visited game stores today Sunday, and I thought to myself "Wow the 360 restock didn't happen yet" because the supply seems to be the same as when I checked 2 weeks ago. But with all these reports coming in that they restocked I can only come up with 2 theories:

1. The restock has not hit my little town yet.
2. It did hit but they are already almost all sold out again.

I will try to ask some storekeepers tomorrow.

And when did we step into a parallel universe where the XBOX 360 is supply constrained in JAPAN?

Laguna said:
Actually it isn´t. Especially considering its budget (development- and marketing-wise) and even the "idea" to recoup this sales in the west doesn´t seem to work that well. Most recent examples ToV (wasn´t even in top 10 and thereof sold under 110k in the states its first week) and IU (ranked pretty low in Europe even in this slow sales period).

This sales are considered "good" here, because we know that the X360 and its games in general sell bad in Japan and it could have sold even worse. In other words we are just nice guys ;)

That's 70k in 1 day you do realize this right? Not in a week. That's pretty darn good when you get to tally world units. It would be a shame if MSFT didn't restock in time. And would probably upset SE as well. It could have met potential sales lost due to new customers not having a 360 and wanted to pick one up with IU.

Defuser

Vinnk said:
I visited game stores today Sunday, and I thought to myself "Wow the 360 restock didn't happen yet" because the supply seems to be the same as when I checked 2 weeks ago. But with all these reports coming in that they restocked I can only come up with 2 theories:

1. The restock has not hit my little town yet.
2. It did hit but they are already almost all sold out again.

I will try to ask some storekeepers tomorrow.

And when did we step into a parallel universe where the XBOX 360 is supply constrained in JAPAN?
We already step in loooong time ago when 360 is getting all JRPGs while PS3 doesn't.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Fady K said:

Oh I see how it is... PC hater.

Laguna

Banned
Revelations said:
That's 70k in 1 day you do realize this right? Not in a week. That's pretty darn good when you get to tally world units. It would be a shame if MSFT didn't restock in time. And would probably upset SE as well.

Sure ;) But I hope you know that especially RPGs games are known to be very frontloaded, no? also ToV did similar numbers first day (70k ToV+ 10k ToV bundles) but has only sold about 150k so far. I can´t see IU doing much better than this. Those numbers just aren´t good for a relative high budget game with similar marketing budget, but they are indeed good for a X360 game in Japan. That´s the whole point my friend, no reason to be offended.

freddy

Banned
Would having a console supply constrained and releasing a press statement saying exactly that be a way to change the perception of your console in the Japanese market?

You have a console that has been dead in the water in sales with a growing library of titles that appeal to Japanese audiences( ie. JRPgs). Your closest rival in technology and sales is only 6 to 7000 ahead week by week and your hoping that closing in to Christmas you can find something to give you an edge. Losing a few thousand sales the week(s) before is nothing to you in the global sense. Do you create a sense of demand and hope that it will build momentum and give you the chance to close on the sales of PS3 and pass them?

Keeping in mind the recent price drops.

While the sales boost may be insignificant the bragging rights of beating out your rival in a region would be huge.

There has been talk on this forum before of creating artificial demand on a much larger scale(much of it unfounded admittedly) but it's certainly something worth looking at.

Fady K

SovanJedi said:
Oh I see how it is... PC hater.

Actually that reminds me, I need to do some PC gaming too T_T Im an adventure gaming nut, so I think I should be able to pick up a few of those. Oh, and there is one PC game im eagerly anticipating - Still Life 2 :D

Rock_Man

When Dengeki summarize the period April - August, they find only 5 non-games in the Top 100 with sales of only 522,000 units, compared to last year when there were 18 non-games with sales of 2,257,000. What happened to brain training?

Rock_Man said:
When Dengeki summarize the period April - August, they find only 5 non-games in the Top 100 with sales of only 522,000 units, compared to last year when there were 18 non-games with sales of 2,257,000. What happened to brain training?
It's not evergreen, just really-really-longgreen.

Kandinsky

Fady K said:

you sure? lol

Anyways, i hope 360 gets a nice boost this week!

cvxfreak

Rock_Man said:

I think it's just the time for the Brain games to slowly fade out of the scene. They've been selling for a very long time, and probably still do away from our sights, but the days of them consistently pulling huge numbers seems to be over. NSMB and AC have also declined considerably week per week, although recently Pokemon DP made a little rebound that I expect to subside now that Platinum is out.

I'm wonder what brought about the surge of interest in MKDS since last year, though.

jimbo

Banned
Laguna said:

I disagree. If IU can do 150k in Japan alone, that IS good, not just because it's on 360 either. It's a new IP, it didn't exactly get a strong marketing push and from reading about it, it's not exactly a very polished game. There have been higher rated JRPG's released this generation. Games shouldn't and don't always sell on publisher name alone or budget.

jimbo

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Next week should/shall be interesting, first on wednesday, then on Friday.

Wednesday we should get IU sales and Famitsu hardware, but what's Friday? First day sales for what?
freddy said:
Would having a ..........

While the sales boost may be insignificant the bragging rights of beating out your rival in a region would be huge.

That's what I am thinking too. And they still should sell more than they have, well possibly all year. All in all I think MS has deffinitely got some kind of momentum going in Japan, and with the price drop and The Last Remnant still to come out, it should be the longest stretch of positive news for them they have ever had in Japan. They have to be pretty happy about things. Of course the fact that the PS3 is dong so bad in Japan is helping create these headlines more so than these events themselves. It just seems like MS had the right games at the right time and I doubt even they expected this since there's no way to really plan on what time of the year your competitor might be sucking. Sometimes just being lucky helps too.

If only they had SO4 coming out in December.

Top Bottom