• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/01 - 09/07

Fady K

Kandinsky said:
you sure? lol

Anyways, i hope 360 gets a nice boost this week!

Yes, im sure.

You surely realized you dug up posts from TWO YEARS AGO.

And 2 years ago, the DS wasnt the beast it is today. I didnt care much for it back then. Today its got so much awesome shit. And as a gamer, i am more than happy with that.

jimbo said:
Wednesday we should get IU sales and Famitsu hardware, but what's Friday? First day sales for what?
Well, there is Eternal Sonata for PS3. I'm not sure if anyone cares, though. Probably not. :I

But I for one am pretty interested in seeing how Dragon Ball DS is going to perform next week. :I

jimbo

Banned
slaughterking said:
Well, there is Eternal Sonata for PS3. I'm not sure if anyone cares, though. Probably not. :I

But I for one am pretty interested in seeing how Dragon Ball DS is going to perform next week. :I

It will be interesting to see if it outsells the 360 version(it should) which in turn may decide whether or not it's worth porting games to the PS3 so late.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Laguna said:
Actually it isn´t. Especially considering its budget (development- and marketing-wise) and even the "idea" to recoup this sales in the west doesn´t seem to work that well.
Since Microsoft were the ones fronting the money, they probably don't care at all about recuperating development costs. They just want more headway into a market they haven't already tapped.

And considering Vesperia had about 4 days in the NPD reporting period, coupled with its apparent lack of stock, we can't really say anything about its impact in the US yet.

jimbo said:
It will be interesting to see if it outsells the 360 version(it should) which in turn may decide whether or not it's worth porting games to the PS3 so late.
Most if not all PS3 ports/versions outsell their 360 counterpart in Japan.

Kandinsky

Fady K said:
Yes, im sure.

You surely realized you dug up posts from TWO YEARS AGO.

And 2 years ago, the DS wasnt the beast it is today. I didnt care much for it back then. Today its got so much awesome shit. And as a gamer, i am more than happy with that.
I dont know, i was just reading that epic thread and i found your posts funny, specially after calling jonnyram troll/fanboy :)

Fady K

Kandinsky said:
I dont know, i was just reading that epic thread and i found your posts funny, specially after calling jonnyram troll/fanboy :)

If this were two years ago, you'd be absolutely right. I was more of a fanboy and judged consoles too quickly. Two years ago I also wouldnt have called jonnyram a troll because back at the time I dont recall him trolling much at all.

As for myself right now, I love the DS so much that I wish many of its developers would work on Wii products more as well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
^^^

Can't you just get that shit out of the way?

IT:

When are new Wii colors supposed to hit Japan? Do we have any official release dates?

PS3 really needs a one-two (three?) punch in no more than a couple of months-wide window:
Something like Yakuza 3/FFXIII/GT5... I don't know how feasible that'd be (probably not very uh?) but I really don't see anything else in the way of working things out for the "poor" PS3 than gaining momentum with "KAs" releases, not even a massive price drop (and that ain't going to happen either) which I'm sure would loose its steam pretty quick.

Laguna

Banned
icecream said:
Since Microsoft were the ones fronting the money, they probably don't care at all about recuperating development costs. They just want more headway into a market they haven't already tapped.

And considering Vesperia had about 4 days in the NPD reporting period, coupled with its apparent lack of stock, we can't really say anything about its impact in the US yet.

Most if not all PS3 ports/versions outsell their 360 counterpart in Japan.

I doubt MS is so indifferent about this. Like you said MS is doing those investments to tap in a market they´ve never been successful with their Xbox. But it just doesn´t seem to work. After 3 years they have a "userbase" clearly under 1million there and software isn´t selling well either. Even if it´s Microsoft we are talking about and we all know that they have an incredible amount of money "to throw away" you should know that they aren´t doing this for charity in other words when they green lighted most of these projects back then in 2005/2006 they sure as hell didn´t thought to be in this sad position. If they were really so indifferent about recouping costs they would continue trying to tap in the Japanese market this way and secured the next Tales of (for example) but they didn´t.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I was referring to the titles that MS directly funded, not third-party efforts. And in that sense, we don't have any definite opinion on what their future plans are yet.

If you're talking about Vesperia, it was Namco's choice, not MS.

Laguna

Banned
icecream said:
I was referring to the titles that MS directly funded, not third-party efforts. And in that sense, we don't have any definite opinion on what their future plans are yet.

If you're talking about Vesperia, it was Namco's choice, not MS.

It doesn´t matter if it´s an MS or 3rd Party game the results are obvious and the same. If your projects result to losses or a break even at best you´ll see changes. Tales of is a really good example because we already saw these mentioned changes with the announcement to continue the series on other systems.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I'm not sure where you're getting with this. The next Tales games were decided long before Vesperia even went on sale much less these results.

Namco chose to put Vesperia on the 360 knowing full well how weak it was performing in Japan. Team Symphonia wanted to make an HD Tales no matter what, and that was the only choice at the time.

Whether they will continue to develop HD Tales series or shift to other platforms will be known by their next project, not the many other projects on other platforms by the other teams currently in development.

Laguna

Banned
icecream said:
I'm not sure where you're getting with this. The next Tales games were decided long before Vesperia even went on sale much less these results.

Namco chose to put Vesperia on the 360 knowing full well how weak it was performing in Japan. Team Symphonia wanted to make an HD Tales no matter what, and that was the only choice at the time.

Whether they will continue to develop HD Tales series or shift to other platforms will be known by their next project, not the many other projects on other platforms by the other teams currently in development.

No, it wasn´t that long ago. They were announced just some months ago with Tales of Hearts and next Tales of for Wii.

Now the big question why? Yes, why were the next Tales games decided before ToV released? :D

Sorry, but you can´t be serious, can you? The X360 situation in Japan is horrible, you would be dumb if you waited ToVs release to decide where you´ll go with your franchise, seeing that on the other hand the Wii is selling well and ToS2 already sold passable (and what a surprise the next Tales for Wii was confirmed after seeing those sales).

Now, to the dumb question. Why did they even bother with ToV?
The answer is simple, they were a little more optimistic back than in 2005/2006 (I know it was announced last year but EGM and other insiders hinted Tales of and also Star Ocean4 for X360 already back in 2005/2006).

I´m not saying that they expected the X360 to be a success (no way, but they neither expected that it would flop similar to the first Xbox) but they expected that games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, some other little jRPGs like Enchanted Arms and also the announcemnt of Last Remnant or Infinite Undiscovery would create a profitable niche market on X360 for jRPGs so they could profit by knowing that there won´t be any competition for their games for several months and to also have the option to realease it one year later on a very successful HD console. On top of that most likely some MS moneyhats sure helped to make this decicion. How do you explain the ToV bundles? I doubt Namco marketed the bundle this was Microsoft, nor do I think that Namco give away these ToV units for a best friends low price, the other way is more likely ;)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Paracelsus said:
I still find it kind of weird.

"Spring 2009"? If by "main" they mean "Team Symphonia" then that means they started developing it as soon as they were done with Vesperia (June? July?) or that somebody else's doing it? I don't think a main Tales of is a game that can be done in way less than a year. ._.
Namco calls almost every Tales game a "mothership" title (both Vesperia and Hearts are for example). So main doesn't mean Team Symphonia, it means "Hey its not a spin-off". As for the release date, well, Namco is releasing 5 Tales of games just this year alone. As for the developer, lets just hope its not another "internal" game like Legendia or outsourced like Tempest.

Spiegel

Paracelsus said:

"Spring 2009"? If by "main" they mean "Team Symphonia" then that means they started developing it as soon as they were done with Vesperia (June? July?) or that somebody else's doing it? I don't think a main Tales of is a game that can be done in way less than a year. ._.

Main Tales of means nothing.

Alpha Systems developed Tales of Innocence

duckroll

Paracelsus said:

Here's my outlook: The Wii Tales will be by Team Destiny and has been in development since the ToD remake on PS2 wrapped up in late 2006, just like how ToV is by Team Symphonia and started development after TotA was released in late 2005. 2 to 2.5 years is the average development cycle of a Tales game developed by Tales Studios internally. ToH on DS is by members of Team Symphonia and Team Destiny which did not work on either projects, instead staff with previously lower positions stepped up to take over the key roles in development.

This explains why since ToDr was released, everything else up until ToV was all developed by outsourced developers, was a re-release or a port, or developed by a totally fresh unknown team (ToSKoR). The two main Tales Studios teams have been working on ToV, ToH and the unnanmed Wii Tales for years now. After the Wii Tales ships next year, there'll probably be a year or two of a "dry" Tales spell again.

Why would Team Destiny want to work on the Wii when Team Symphonia is already in HD? Simple. 2D graphics. :lol

Japanese releases in this week:

09/15 - 09/21/2008

PS2:
09/18 Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 (w/SFIII 3rd Strike Value Pack)
09/18 Def Jam: Fight for NY (EA:SY! 1980)
09/18 G1 Jockey 4 2008
09/18 G1 Jockey 4 2008 (Twin Pack w/WP7Max08 )
09/18 Heart no Kuni no Alice
09/18 Hokuouki
09/18 Hokuouki (Limited Edition)
09/18 Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (w/Vampire Collection Value Pack)
09/18 Medal of Honor: Vanguard (EA:SY! 1980)
09/18 SSX 3 (EA:SY! 1980)

PS3:
09/18 Def Jam: Icon (English-Language Version) (EA Best Hits)
09/18 Fight Night Round 3 (EA Best Hits)
09/18 G1 Jockey 4 2008
09/18 G1 Jockey 4 2008 (Twin Pack)
09/18 Trusty Bell: Chopin no Yume Reprise
09/18 Unreal Tournament 3

NDS:
09/18 Dragon Ball DS
09/18 Illumi Slight: Hikari no Puzzle
09/18 Long Vacation: Iruka to Watashi
09/18 Ochishi Keiji: Keiji-San, Watashi ga Arimashita
09/18 Yajuu Keiji: Tokyo Douji Tahatsu Tero o Chinatsu Seyo!

Wii:
09/16 Kappa-kun to Asobou: Kappa-kun to Mori no Nakamatachi

09/18 Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles (Best Price!)
09/18 G1 Jockey Wii 2008
09/18 Kororinpa (Hudson the Best)

PSP:
09/18 Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! Battle Arena
09/18 Samurai Dou Portable

09/20 Neo Angelique Special
09/20 Neo Angelique Special (Premium Box)

X360:
09/18 Unreal Tournament 3

grandjedi6

duckroll said:
Here's my outlook: The Wii Tales will be by Team Destiny and has been in development since the ToD remake on PS2 wrapped up in late 2006, just like how ToV is by Team Symphonia and started development after TotA was released in late 2005. 2 to 2.5 years is the average development cycle of a Tales game developed by Tales Studios internally. ToH on DS is by members of Team Symphonia and Team Destiny which did not work on either projects, instead staff with previously lower positions stepped up to take over the key roles in development.

This explains why since ToDr was released, everything else up until ToV was all developed by outsourced developers, was a re-release or a port, or developed by a totally fresh unknown team (ToSKoR). The two main Tales Studios teams have been working on ToV, ToH and the unnanmed Wii Tales for years now. After the Wii Tales ships next year, there'll probably be a year or two of a "dry" Tales spell again.

Why would Team Destiny want to work on the Wii when Team Symphonia is already in HD? Simple. 2D graphics. :lol
Did we ever find out if that "3rd" Tales of Team was actually the developers of Symphonia Wii?

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
Did we ever find out if that "3rd" Tales of Team was actually the developers of Symphonia Wii?

What "3rd" Tales of team? Tales Studio is more than "Team Destiny" and "Team Symphonia", and in fact Namco has been moving away from specifically using those labels because they seem to like moving staff around more freely lately. We just use those because they're an easy way to describe core groups of staff that work together inside Tales Studio.

grandjedi6

duckroll said:
What "3rd" Tales of team? Tales Studio is more than "Team Destiny" and "Team Symphonia", and in fact Namco has been moving away from specifically using those labels because they seem to like moving staff around more freely lately. We just use those because they're an easy way to describe core groups of staff that work together inside Tales Studio.
I blame Datschge for filling my head with stupid misinformation.

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
I blame Datschge for filling my head with stupid misinformation.

It's not misinformation, it's just rather dated. Back then based on what we know it was totally logical speculation to think there might be a third team forming within Tales Studios. But now with the Tales of Hearts staff list available, I feel it's much more likely that ToSKoR was a ToL-like deal where they put together a "special" team to fill the void when their main staff leads are all busy on other projects. We'll see.

apujanata

Fady K said:
Of course liking something doesn't make you a fanboy, duh. If hes not a 360 fanboy then I guess hes just a Sony troll. If you're really free just go browse through his posting history.

I think you haven't seen his hundreds of PS2, PS1 game collection. Heck, he is even one of the earliest PS3 buyer in Japan. I remember his joke about "Gundam : Target not in sight" game he bought during PS3 launch.

I think you should invest in :
- sarcasm meter
- "laughter/joke is the best medicine"
- "how to investigate things that you didn't know before you make a fool out of yourself".

I didn't remember you being so "hostile" before. Something happened to you in real life ? Or is it just that my memory was wrong ?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
apujanata said:
I think you haven't seen his hundreds of PS2, PS1 game collection. Heck, he is even one of the earliest PS3 buyer in Japan. I remember his joke about "Gundam : Target not in sight" game he bought during PS3 launch.

- sarcasm meter
- "how to investigate things that you didn't know before you make a fool out of yourself".

I didn't remember you being so "hostile" before. Something happened to you in real life ? Or is it just that my memory was wrong ?

Thanks for derailing the topic. You can go make a defend jonnyram topic you know.

rykomatsu

icecream said:

At CEDEC last week, namco said 360, PS3, and multiplat were considered for Vesperia, so i doubt 360 was the only choice at the time for something HD specific. They wanted to target a global audience so that's why they opted for 360 (amongst other merits, which they didn't elaborate on).

Fady K

apujanata said:

- sarcasm meter

No you were right - I did pay attention pretty well. He was alright with the PS3 when it first launched. Things have been different since though. Except when it comes to Wipeout HD.

By the way, is tomorrow the day we get the latest weekly sales?

rykomatsu

Fady K said:
By the way, is tomorrow the day we get the latest weekly sales?

Famitsu is Wed i think
Media Create (via gpara.com) for software is also...late wed/early thurs
Media Create for hardware is late Thurs i think

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Uh...sorry, I must be out of the fucking loop, but a Pokemon PLATINUM? Is that a new REAL Pokemon title? Haven't heard of it at all.

Case said:
750,000 first 2 days? Thats like a million+ first week...
Do these people ever get tired of Pokemon?
34j80ab.gif

JaMarco

Oblivion said:
Uh...sorry, I must be out of the fucking loop, but a Pokemon PLATINUM? Is that a new REAL Pokemon title? Haven't heard of it at all.
R/B/Yellow>G/S/Crystal>R/S/Emerald>D/P/Platinum

Saint10118 said:
Thanks for the clarification!

:lol ioi's gut tells him 750k with no info from gpara, enterbrain, famitsu? What a fucking joke.
Yeah, but when I was babelfishing sinobi the other day I think I read something about him predicting the game to sell ~1 million first week. So while the ******** numbers are obviously pulled out of somenones ass, we can still prepare for numbers of the same dimension.

Oblivion said:
It's the half-update.

Like Yellow and Crystal.

Except it doesn't fit within the naming scheme at all, they should have called Crystal "Platinum" and Platinum "Crystal" but that's just me.

donny2112

slaughterking said:
So while the ******** numbers are obviously pulled out of somenones butt,

There are known websites that provide preorder data from certain stores for games in Japan. He probably came up with the first week sales number by comparing Platinum's preorders to how past games turned out. Before anyone think's that's accurate, however, I would highly recommend finding the posts of Square2005 when he used to try to guess the weekly sales based on the normalized sales numbers from a single store in Japan that provided such preorder information along with weekly data.

There are a lot of data sources out there. ioi's fallacy is in thinking he can take that and come up with a reliable model for a whole country/territory. That applies to Japanese, U.S., and European sales data, by the way.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
There are known websites that provide preorder data from certain stores for games in Japan. He probably came up with the first week sales number by comparing Platinum's preorders to how past games turned out. Before anyone think's that's accurate, however, I would highly recommend finding the posts of Square2005 when he used to try to guess the weekly sales based on the normalized sales numbers from a single store in Japan that provided such preorder information along with weekly data.

There are a lot of data sources out there. ioi's fallacy is in thinking he can take that and come up with a reliable model for a whole country/territory. That applies to Japanese, U.S., and European sales data, by the way.

Correct. He takes an incredibly small sample size, extrapolates it across entire regions, and then adjusts after the fact so his numbers compare favorably with other, more reliable, accurate, and non-bullshit MARKET RESEARCH FIRMS. His site is a joke, and if it wasn't for a better-than-nothing PR staff and zero competition, he'd already be belly up.

I wonder if he's making any money off of that.

Vinnk

Well, today a 3rd grade student told me he got Pokemon Platinum. I asked him "so how is it?" and he said it's really boring. He said "I's the same as diamond" He looked really bummed about it. I wonder if that's the general reaction to this game. Word of mouth like that could remove some of the legs.

And now based on what one kid told me I predict 600,005 sales.

I hope VGChaaaaatzz doesn't steal my scientific sales data

Top Bottom