• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

KINGMOKU

Captain Smoker said:
Get banned for a joke like this?
ugly.gif
No, you wont get banned. Matter of fact, I suggest you post numbers from that one site that has really good inside info. I cant acess that site with my current computer, so could you?

vg-chartz or something like that.

moku said:
No, you wont get banned. Matter of fact, I suggest you post numbers from that one site that has really good inside info. I cant acess that site with my current computer, so could you?

vg-chartz or something like that.
Really funny...

test_account

XP-39C²
Captain Smoker said:
ugly.gif

What i remember a guy got banned not too long ago for posting "fake" numbers. I write "fake" because iirc those numers werent fake, they were just 4 weeks combined hehe (they were taken from IGN or something) :) But it looked like they were fake due to the poster didnt say that it was monthly numbers. It was something like that atleast.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Captain Smoker said:
ugly.gif

Ugh, yea. Welcome to sales-age. People use these numbers as fact, so you just posting up some random, joke numbers can spread to some forum/website and be taken as fact there. Then you have an entire shit-storm going on.

GAF is huge. You need to realize that, and there have been several joke/rumor threads that have been picked up by huge publications [Hi IGN!!!] and then reported by them as factual.

reilo said:
Ugh, yea. Welcome to sales-age. People use these numbers as fact, so you just posting up some random, joke numbers can spread to some forum/website and be taken as fact there. Then you have an entire shit-storm going on.

GAF is huge. You need to realize that, and there have been several joke/rumor threads that have been picked up by huge publications [Hi IGN!!!] and then reported by them as factual.
Ok I understand, not going to happen again. :p

jarrod

Banned
test_account said:
If theres anything in this discussion that is crystal clear then it is that Sega Pico is a system thats aimed towards young kids. In Japan it even had "kids" in its name, so that argument is not muddy at all :)
So was Game Gear, which was rebranded Kids Gear in Japan. Keep wallowing in that mud. :lol

test_account said:
Gameboy was not aimed mainly for children no, but most players of it (atleast back then) might have been kids. Its like the same "cliche" (or what i shall say) that Wii is for kids, but its aimed to everyone, both young and old. Nintendo never marketed these systems specificly aimed to kids.
Are you kidding? Outside a handfull of one off campaigns (the only real notable one pre-VB being print ads targeting traveling businessmen in the late 1980s with Tetris) Game Boy adverising was aimed directly at minors. Hell, that's even the core reasoning as to why Nintendo stated they dropped the brand for DS, because it's brand recognition was too limited and targeted squarely at kids.

test_account said:
My points still stands, in my opinion the VB is a system of it's own on the same line as every other "normal" systems, its not a system that was aimed specificly to i.e kids like Sega Pico was. I also think its too early to label the PS3 as histories biggest failure eventho things arent looking so good right now. Can it be the biggest failure in history? It depends on what you put in failure, smallest amount of consoles sold, most money loss, most marked share loss etc. etc. (these things were discussed earlier).

Anyway, to be honest i dont know why we are discussing this. In the first place all i said was that VB was a failure compared to GB, and that i concider it a bigger failure than the PS3 since i think its too early to say PS3's final outcome. After this a long discussion starts. Now i feel its just a discussion about disproving eachother points because we dont agree. If we dont agree, that is fine of course, but this discussion isnt really going anywhere, which gets me abit "exhausted/tired" or what i shall say so i have to end it from my side. If people want to agree or disagree, no problem, but now i've said what i mean and i dont think i have anything more to say in this case.
Eh... it still comes down to you making a laughably reaching comparison, going rather out of your way to try and discredit or nitpick any counter comparisons, for who knows what end. Nevermind the shakey logic behind arguing it too early to call one platform a failure, then in the next breath proclaiming another platform somehow the bigger failure.

I agree, time to stop while you're ahead. ;)

jarrod

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Wow.

Is the 360's advantage over PS3 in North America going to remain bigger than the PS3's advantage over the 360 in Japan for much longer?
Um... yes? It's what, ~5m to ~1m now... how many more weeks do you see PS3 doing over 20k in Japan?

The PS3 outsold the 360 by about 50,000 units this week. That's 200,000 a month. I don't know what the difference in sales is in the U.S., but it's possible that with Europe, the PS3 might be outselling the 360 worldwide by a small amount each month.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Green Shinobi said:
The PS3 outsold the 360 by about 50,000 units this week. That's 200,000 a month. I don't know what the difference in sales is in the U.S., but it's possible that with Europe, the PS3 might be outselling the 360 worldwide by a small amount each month.

Remember this is the biggest time of the year for sales. In January I am pretty positive it will be less than 50K a week.

jarrod

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
And in the last week of November in the US, 360 outsold PS3 by what, 250k?

Rest assured, 360 is still reaming PS3 month to month worldwide, despite the slim JP lead and great white hope that's yrup. :lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Remember, fake numbers are saved for Euro sales threads.

"I'm pretty sure they sold 4.3 million PS3's in Spain last week, Spain is after all Sony Land..."

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
So was Game Gear, which was rebranded Kids Gear in Japan. Keep wallowing in that mud. :lol

If Game Gear was a kids system how does that changes anything about Pico? If you say that the roads in USA are icey, then another guy say that the roads in Canada are icey as well, does this mean that the roads in USA arent icey because the roads in Canada are icey? 2 or more systems can be aimed for kids, but i've never heard that Game Gear is a system that was aimed at kids at the same level as Pico was. But anyhow, if you belive that Sega Pico wasnt aimed for kids, thats fine by me.

jarrod said:
Are you kidding? Outside a handfull of one off campaigns (the only real notable one pre-VB being print ads targeting traveling businessmen in the late 1980s with Tetris) Game Boy adverising was aimed directly at minors. Hell, that's even the core reasoning as to why Nintendo stated they dropped the brand for DS, because it's brand recognition was too limited and targeted squarely at kids.

What i mean is that GB is not aimed to kids like Pico was. Nintendo might have focused on the minors in their ads because those were the ones who were most interested in gaming, but there were games for all ages. Tetris is maybe one of the best examples.

jarrod said:
Eh... it still comes down to you making a laughably reaching comparison, going rather out of your way to try and discredit or nitpick any counter comparisons, for who knows what end. Nevermind the shakey logic behind arguing it too early to call one platform a failure, then in the next breath proclaiming another platform somehow the bigger failure.

I agree, time to stop while you're ahead. ;)

The reason why i dont want to agrue anymore is because i see that you dont understand my points. You may think you understand them, but since i have to write much of the stuff over again it shows that you dont either havnt read my posts or that you dont understand what i mean, but since you quote what i say i guess you have read them. Maybe i'm not good enough to formulate my points, but unfortunately i dont think i can reformulate them any better so you will understand them.

And what you say in the end there makes me think that you havnt read all my posts (i wrote quite a few before you quoted me and you first quoted me on one of my first posts in this discussion). What i wrote in my previous post are things that i've already mentioned earlier in this thread. I wrote early on that i think its too early to call the PS3 the biggest failure in history and that i think the VB is one of the systems thats a bigger failure than the PS3 (VB's list of canceled games is about the same size (if not longer) than the list of released games and the system was discontunied the following year just to mention some factors). So this is not a "next breath proclaiming" as you claim. If you did read my previous posts i would found it wierd if you said something like that atleast.

If you dont agree with anything of what i say that is fine of course, but do you really think my comparisons are laughable? When i discuss things like this with people i dont call their agruments for laughable just because i dont agree with them. In cases like this i show people respect even if i dont agree with them, but maybe we are different. I also dont want to fight or become unfriendly with anyone just because we have different opinions.

Pimpwerx

jarrod said:
And in the last week of November in the US, 360 outsold PS3 by what, 250k?

Rest assured, 360 is still reaming PS3 month to month worldwide, despite the slim JP lead and great white hope that's yrup. :lol
You're gonna eat some crow in '08, jarrod.

Not from me, of course. I see Sony settling into a comfortable 3rd place. Saving ground strategically for the final stretch, which comes in years 6-10. :D PEACE.

Is there any definitive reason we should believe that Sony is pulling enough Euro sales in for the absolute floor mopping they're getting in NA? 35k a week in Japan isn't going to easily balance that out.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DeaconKnowledge said:
Is there any definitive reason we should believe that Sony is pulling enough Euro sales in for the absolute floor mopping they're getting in NA? 35k a week in Japan isn't going to easily balance that out.

If you trust their numbers, Nintendo showed a graph of Wii vs PS3 vs X360 sales in Europe on a week-by-week basis. The PS3 was either selling better or at least staying even with the X360 in 80% of Europe. And since the price-drop and introduction of bundles in Europe, the PS3 was selling a lot better. Granted, the Wii was mopping the entire floor with both :lol.

EDIT, here is the graph:

p39.gif

That's the best we've got for Europe so far.

Eteric Rice

reilo said:
If you trust their numbers, Nintendo showed a graph of Wii vs PS3 vs X360 sales in Europe on a week-by-week basis. The PS3 was either selling better or at least staying even with the X360 in 80% of Europe. And since the price-drop and introduction of bundles in Europe, the PS3 was selling a lot better. Granted, the Wii was mopping the entire floor with both :lol.

The Wii is like, a janitor.

donny2112

Green Shinobi said:
Is the 360's advantage over PS3 in North America going to remain bigger than the PS3's advantage over the 360 in Japan forever?

Pretty much, yeah.

Man God said:
Remember, fake numbers are saved for Euro sales threads.

"I'm pretty sure they sold 4.3 million PS3's in Spain last week, Spain is after all Sony Land..."

:lol

.dmc

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Is the 360's advantage over PS3 in North America going to remain bigger than the PS3's advantage over the 360 in Japan forever?

The GameCube lead pretty conclusively over xbox in Japan and a couple of European markets as well.

Lobster

Banned
.dmc said:
The GameCube lead pretty conclusively over xbox in Japan and a couple of European markets as well.

Was the GC the only Nintendo console that NA rejected? N64 performed the best in NA IIRC.

Lobster

Banned
Inflammable Slinky said:
Despite what you might expect, NA has always really been the Nintendo console stronghold, especially during its losing (N64 and cube) eras.

No I knew that NA has always been where Nintendo consoles have sold best. But Cube only sold 20 million WW..Didn't 64 rougly sell 20 million in NA alone?

OK guys, all-new feature to the database. Game groups. The genesis was realizing that if I ever get the Media Create data in there, there'd be instances where I'd need different game listings for some sets of games between different trackers. For instance, for Media Create there'd need be a "Pokémon Diamond" and "Pokémon Pearl" entry, while for Famitsu there'd just be the combined "Pokémon Diamond/Pearl" entry. That done, I'd want some way to show that they're related. As long as something like that is in place, though, there'd be no reason to not allow groupings of other kinds, which is what I started with tonight.

This is really a place where you guys can make of this what you wish. The opportunities for grouping are really endless; it's just a matter of what people think makes sense. If you've got a group you'd like to see, send me a list of the Game IDs that comprise that group, a title, and a description if it needs one.

To start off with I just ran down the game list and picked out things that stuck out, mostly series with titles that began very similarly. A Famicom Mini group. A Xenosaga group. An Ace Combat group.

A game can belong to multiple groups, all of which are listed on a game's individual page. For instance, Hot Shots Golf 4 is both in the group of all Hot Shots Golf games, as well as more specifically the group of different releases of Hot Shots Golf 4.

Another use could be to group together games with a developer in common. Here's a Mistwalker group.

Arthas

Banned
Wow, I didn't know the battle for second place was this fierce.

I suspect ps3 will edge out eventually, it seemingly outsold the xbox360 in it's first year after all, and the xbox360 didn't have any competition in it's first year.

Let's just twiddle our thumbs and wait for the truth to emerge, who will take the silver medal...I'll give it another 1-2 years before we know for sure.

felipeko

Arthas said:
I suspect ps3 will edge out eventually, it seemingly outsold the xbox360 in it's first year after all, and the xbox360 didn't have any competition in it's first year.
It had the PS2 competition in it's first year...

JoshuaJSlone said:
OK guys, all-new feature to the database. Game groups. The genesis was realizing that if I ever get the Media Create data in there, there'd be instances where I'd need different game listings for some sets of games between different trackers. For instance, for Media Create there'd need be a "Pokémon Diamond" and "Pokémon Pearl" entry, while for Famitsu there'd just be the combined "Pokémon Diamond/Pearl" entry. That done, I'd want some way to show that they're related. As long as something like that is in place, though, there'd be no reason to not allow groupings of other kinds, which is what I started with tonight.

This is really a place where you guys can make of this what you wish. The opportunities for grouping are really endless; it's just a matter of what people think makes sense. If you've got a group you'd like to see, send me a list of the Game IDs that comprise that group, a title, and a description if it needs one.

To start off with I just ran down the game list and picked out things that stuck out, mostly series with titles that began very similarly. A Famicom Mini group. A Xenosaga group. An Ace Combat group.

A game can belong to multiple groups, all of which are listed on a game's individual page. For instance, Hot Shots Golf 4 is both in the group of all Hot Shots Golf games, as well as more specifically the group of different releases of Hot Shots Golf 4.

Another use could be to group together games with a developer in common. Here's a Mistwalker group.

this is some seriously awesome stuff!

Should we not have rounded software numbers by today. Or are they going to be late, due to the holidays. (I'm sure they take their new year holidays differently. Anyways.

the thoroughbred said:
Should we not have rounded software numbers by today. Or are they going to be late, due to the holidays. (I'm sure they take their new year holidays differently. Anyways.
It's been mentioned a few times, but the soonest we should expect them is late tomorrow.

cvxfreak

Japan's still very much in holiday mode, so I guess tomorrow (Friday) or Monday JST will be the days we get any sort of new numbers.

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:

Very nice feature, joshuajslone. Very nice indeed.

Where is Vinnk, and his village report ? Now should be a good time for him to fill up the vacancy (provided he can get away from his holiday).

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Very nice feature, joshuajslone. Very nice indeed.

Where is Vinnk, and his village report ? Now should be a good time for him to fill up the vacancy (provided he can get away from his holiday).

I just got back home. I was in the states for Christmas. I can check out some stores tomorrow and have a report soon after that. Sorry, I've been away and am a bit out of touch with what has been going on the last 2 weeks. What would be good to check on?

Lobster said:
No I knew that NA has always been where Nintendo consoles have sold best. But Cube only sold 20 million WW..Didn't 64 rougly sell 20 million in NA alone?

Yup. 32 million N64s worldwide, 21 million US and ~5.5 million each for Japan and Europe. You just don't remember worldwide GC sales: ~21 million worldwide, 12 million US and about 4.5 million each in Japan and Europe.

Not so sure on NES and SNES numbers. Nintendo says that they sold 49 million SNESes worldwide and "more than 20 million" in the US, though other estimates put US SNES sales at 25-26 million. Nintendo also says that 60 million NESes sold worldwide; no US estimate here, even. It's got to be at least half of that total, probably more, but I don't know the exact number... the point is that Nintendo always did quite well in America, never did well in Europe (until the Wii), and didn't drop off in America after the SNES like they did in Japan. The GC dropped off a LOT more from the N64 than the N64 did from the SNES, that's for sure... and the NES to SNES dropoff could be the largest of all in pure numbers.

Even so, as that 12 million US to 9 million elsewhere ratio shows that Nintendo has always done very well in North America, quite unlike Japan or Europe. That's why it'll take the Wii a lot longer to pass GC sales totals in the US than it will/did in Japan and Europe.

A Black Falcon said:
Yup. 32 million N64s worldwide, 21 million US and ~5.5 million each for Japan and Europe. You just don't remember worldwide GC sales: ~21 million worldwide, 12 million US and about 4.5 million each in Japan and Europe.

Not so sure on NES and SNES numbers. Nintendo says that they sold 49 million SNESes worldwide and "more than 20 million" in the US, though other estimates put US SNES sales at 25-26 million. Nintendo also says that 60 million NESes sold worldwide; no US estimate here, even. It's got to be at least half of that total, probably more, but I don't know the exact number... the point is that Nintendo always did quite well in America, never did well in Europe (until the Wii), and didn't drop off in America after the SNES like they did in Japan. The GC dropped off a LOT more from the N64 than the N64 did from the SNES, that's for sure... and the NES to SNES dropoff could be the largest of all in pure numbers.

Even so, as that 12 million US to 9 million elsewhere ratio shows that Nintendo has always done very well in North America, quite unlike Japan or Europe. That's why it'll take the Wii a lot longer to pass GC sales totals in the US than it will/did in Japan and Europe.
GC only sold 4.5 mil in Europe? That's big big bomba.

BishopLamont said:

It's not like the NES, SNES, or N64 did well in Europe either, really... though given how often Nintendo released things there years late and at insane markups, it kind of deserved it.

Neo C.

BishopLamont said:
This is Europe. Before Playstation came out, videogames were pretty hardcore. Nintendo never was that popular as the PS1 and 2, at least home console wise. The Wii on the other hand could be more successful in Europe than SNES, N64 and GC combined.:lol

edit: beaten.

test_account

XP-39C²
A Black Falcon said:
It's not like the NES, SNES, or N64 did well in Europe either, really... though given how often Nintendo released things there years late and at insane markups, it kind of deserved it.

About NES, it depends on what you mean with well. NES was definitly the system at its time most places in Europe. UK seemed to be more on the Sega side, but other than that i think NES was the most popular system around. "Everyone" i knew had a NES :)

The highest serial number i've seen on a PAL-B NES console is about 5.5 million (which i own myself). The lowest i've heard of is something like 9400. I have an italian NES too, that one has serial number ~389k. I did own a UK NES once too, but i dont remember the serial number for that one. I think the serial code for UK NES is PI, while italian uses PM (maybe Australia too) and PAL-B consoles uses PE. I would guess that atleast 10 million NES consoles were sold in Europe, which is in my opinion not too bad, atleast not back in those days when gaming wasnt that casual as it is today.

My US NES has a serial number of somewhat 32 million so atleast 32 million NES consoles were sold in the US :) I have a Top Loader too, which was released in the end of the NES era, but unfortunately it doesnt use the same serial system as the front loader NES.

Grampasso

test_account said:
About NES, it depends on what you mean with well. NES was definitly the system at its time most places in Europe. UK seemed to be more on the Sega side, but other than that i think NES was the most popular system around. "Everyone" i knew had a NES :)

The highest serial number i've seen on a PAL-B NES console is about 5.5 million (which i own myself). The lowest i've heard of is something like 9400. I have an italian NES too, that one has serial number ~389k. I did own a UK NES once too, but i dont remember the serial number for that one. I think the serial code for UK NES is PI, while italian uses PM (maybe Australia too) and PAL-B consoles uses PE. I would guess that atleast 10 million NES consoles were sold in Europe, which is in my opinion not too bad, atleast not back in those days when gaming wasnt that casual as it is today.

My US NES has a serial number of somewhat 32 million so atleast 32 million NES consoles were sold in the US :) I have a Top Loader too, which was released in the end of the NES era, but unfortunately it doesnt use the same serial system as the front loader NES.
You may be right, but I can clearly remember how well marketing was handled by Nintendo in the NES years. I remember an Italian spot where a very famous italian singer (Lorenzo Cherubini, AKA Jovanotti) was playing TMNT on his NES and received a phone a call by "Mister Nintendo" :lol . The spots popping out on our TVs nowadays pretty much resembles that one, but they're more mature with Nicole Kidman, Patrick Stuart (it's him, right?) and Giorgio Panariello, a famous italian comician, all playing their WIIs or DSes.

A Black Falcon said:
Not so sure on NES and SNES numbers. Nintendo says that they sold 49 million SNESes worldwide and "more than 20 million" in the US, though other estimates put US SNES sales at 25-26 million. Nintendo also says that 60 million NESes sold worldwide; no US estimate here, even.
Actually on their Japanese investor relations site you can find shipment data for the last decade and total for pretty much all of their systems but Virtual Boy. Final NES/SNES breakdown:

NES
Japan: 19.35m
America: 34.00m
Other: 8.56m

SNES
Japan: 17.17m
America: 23.35m
Other: 8.58m

test_account

XP-39C²
Grampasso said:
You may be right, but I can clearly remember how well marketing was handled by Nintendo in the NES years. I remember an Italian spot where a very famous italian singer (Lorenzo Cherubini, AKA Jovanotti) was playing TMNT on his NES and received a phone a call by "Mister Nintendo" :lol . The spots popping out on our TVs nowadays pretty much resembles that one, but they're more mature with Nicole Kidman, Patrick Stuart (it's him, right?) and Giorgio Panariello, a famous italian comician, all playing their WIIs or DSes.

Hehe sounds like a cool commercial :) Do you know if its on YouTube or something? All i found was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnMlFAIUVE

JoshuaJSlone said:
Actually on their Japanese investor relations site you can find shipment data for the last decade and total for pretty much all of their systems but Virtual Boy. Final NES/SNES breakdown:

NES
Japan: 19.35m
America: 34.00m
Other: 8.56m

SNES
Japan: 17.17m
America: 23.35m
Other: 8.58m

Cool :) So they didnt sell 10 million in Europe as i thought, but the numbers seems to fit when i think about it. That serial numbered 5.5 million unit i have is a brand new one fron Spain. The guy i bought it from had a few new NES units, i guess he found them in an old stock or something. So i guess its from the late NES era when the interest for NES was lacking. Lets say 6 - 6.5 million in the PAL-B territories and 2 million in PAL-A territories (UK, Italy and Australia). Sounds abour right, no?

If its 34 million for USA, my 32 million console must be pretty "new" :)

farnham

Banned
Inflammable Slinky said:
Despite what you might expect, NA has always really been the Nintendo console stronghold, especially during its losing (N64 and cube) eras.
Nintendos Stronghold is THE WHOLE FRIGGIN WORLD...

Top Bottom