• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

D.Lo

JoshuaJSlone said:
NES
Japan: 19.35m
America: 34.00m
Other: 8.56m

SNES
Japan: 17.17m
America: 23.35m
Other: 8.58m
'Other' figures remind me of something.

Nintendo sales are just so different to Sony and Microsofts because they only sell videogames and built their international company on that. With the Famicom/NES, Nintendo didn't just have to establish a brand, they had to build a company from the ground up in most countries. Unlike Sony and MS who already had vast resources, offices in every country, and complete retail distribution networks, Nintendo had nothing. It actually took them their first three generations to get full branch offices in all major countries instead of sub-contracting other companies with existing distribution networks. Nintendo was distributed by Mattel in Australia until halfway through the SNES lifespan, for example, and still does not have an office in New Zealand even today.

The DS and Wii are the first unqualified successes Nintendo has had since finally being a true international company. That alone pretty much guarantees the Wii will be their most successful home console ever.

jarrod

Banned
test_account said:
If Game Gear was a kids system how does that changes anything about Pico?
It doesn't... but it's worth noting SEGA's direct response to Game Boy had "Kids" in it's branding. Pico's not the only games platform aimed at children... handhelds pre-DS/PSP were largely for kids as well.

test_account said:
What i mean is that GB is not aimed to kids like Pico was.
And? PS2 wasn't aimed at the same demographic GB was either, I guess that also invalidates any comparison there?

test_account said:
The reason why i dont want to agrue anymore is because i see that you dont understand my points. You may think you understand them, but since i have to write much of the stuff over again it shows that you dont either havnt read my posts or that you dont understand what i mean, but since you quote what i say i guess you have read them. Maybe i'm not good enough to formulate my points, but unfortunately i dont think i can reformulate them any better so you will understand them.

And what you say in the end there makes me think that you havnt read all my posts (i wrote quite a few before you quoted me and you first quoted me on one of my first posts in this discussion). What i wrote in my previous post are things that i've already mentioned earlier in this thread. I wrote early on that i think its too early to call the PS3 the biggest failure in history and that i think the VB is one of the systems thats a bigger failure than the PS3 (VB's list of canceled games is about the same size (if not longer) than the list of released games and the system was discontunied the following year just to mention some factors). So this is not a "next breath proclaiming" as you claim. If you did read my previous posts i would found it wierd if you said something like that atleast.

If you dont agree with anything of what i say that is fine of course, but do you really think my comparisons are laughable? When i discuss things like this with people i dont call their agruments for laughable just because i dont agree with them. In cases like this i show people respect even if i dont agree with them, but maybe we are different. I also dont want to fight or become unfriendly with anyone just because we have different opinions.
I understand what you're saying perfectly, I think we all do. Diversionary comparions aside, I don't think calling the PS3 "the biggest failure in gaming" is at all off base looking at where things sit today, where they look headed, and the dramatic scale of things. Sure, there's been platforms that sold worse or were dropped quicker, but not any platform in a similar position. PS3's going to be lucky if it cracks 30m lifetime the way things are going, which in itself may be a pretty respectable figure, but when you consider the positioning, support and branding this machine had... that's a pretty epic drop, far more dramatic than an experimental 3D "portable", kids edutainment toy or various MegaDrive hardware add-ons. making those sorts of flimsy comparisons doesn't put PS3 in a better light, it more reveals the massive scale of it's decline and the desperation of it's proponents.

Famitsu data for the week ending on december 23 (so i'm really in topic!!!)

2007/12/17 - 12/23

01. (DS / S-E) Final Fantasy IV - 308.794 / 308.794
02. (DS / Nintendo) Mario Party 8 - 307.901 / 1.070.481
03. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Fit - 210.406 / 737.475
04. (Wii / Nintendo) Super Mario Galaxy - 109.029 / 680.165
05. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Sports - 108.629 / 2.370.673
06. (DS / S-E) Dragon Quest IV - 108.352 / 962.776
07. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Play - 104.635 / 1.918.814
08. (Wii / Nintendo) Mario & Sonic at Olympic Games - 100.433 / 307.198
09. (DS / BandaiNamco) Doraemon Baseball: Dramatic Stadium - 96.454 / 96.454
10. (PS2 / BandaiNamco) Naruto Shuuppuden: Narutimate Accel 2 - 94.330 / 94.330
11. (DS / Pokemon) Pokemon Mistery Dungeon Darkness/Time - 83.454 / 1.218.261
12. (DS / Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Devil's Box - 68.289 / 550.454
13. (Wii / Nintendo) Mario Party 8 - 60.320 / 1.007.899
14. (DS / Nintendo) Mario Kart DS - 53.158 / 2.660.373
15. (DS / Nintendo) Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero - 49.163 / 49.163
16. (DS / Capcom) Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk x Shinobi/Dinosaur - 47.056 / 203.285
17. (DS / Konami) Power Pro Pocket 10 - 46.891 / 128.832
18. (PS2 / Alchemist) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri - 42.385 / 42.385
19. (PS2 / Konami) Winning Eleven 2008 - 39.041 / 518.742
20. (PS2 / Konami) Power Pro Baseball 14 Ketteiban - 37.480 / 37.480

Mario Party 8 and DS became million sellers in the same week, DQIV non game status is around the corner, WE 2008 (PS2) is over half million, not bad at all.
No PSP (as usual) and no PS3 games on top20, Sony should be worried... (ok, ok, PSP is considered as a multimedia device more than a game system for japanese people bla bla bla bla....)

I understand what you're saying perfectly, I think we all do. Diversionary comparions aside, I don't think calling the PS3 "the biggest failure in gaming"

I think its the biggest failure in gaming when looking at what it was forecasted to do. Most systems that failed were never expected to do much anyway. Dreamcast, 3DO, Jaguar. The PS3 was the next generation of playstation. Playstation 2 I believe sold more systems than any other console to date. ( unless NES beat it ) Anyhow it was by far the most sold console of last gen. and for PS3 to not only be in last place, but WAY WAY in last place for worldwide sales is just about the biggest disapointment you can get. Sure other consolse like the 3DO sold less in their lifetime, but they weren't coming off their best selling console of all time.

Edit: I think I basically said what has already been said. sorry

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
PS3 is a far cry from being the worst failure in history. N64 was worse off imo, and that wasn't even that bad...

everything is just ballooned because games are of higher quality now. things happen faster.

ksamedi

davepoobond said:
PS3 is a far cry from being the worst failure in history. N64 was worse off imo, and that wasn't even that bad...

everything is just ballooned because games are of higher quality now. things happen faster.

I highly doubt that.

jarrod

Banned
davepoobond said:
Overall, N64 really only saw a dramatic decline from SFC in one core region... comparably, PS3's stumbling about everywhere compared to PS2. N64 still moved ~65% of what it's predecessor managed, PS3's going to lucky hit half that figure. Again, the drop from PS2 to PS3 in terms of Nintendo's mainline platforms would be like going directly from Famciom/NES to Gamecube in one cycle.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
jarrod said:
Overall, N64 really only saw a dramatic decline from SFC in one core region... comparably, PS3's stumbling about everywhere compared to PS2. N64 still moved ~65% of what it's predecessor managed, PS3's going to lucky hit half that figure. Again, the drop from PS2 to PS3 in terms of Nintendo's mainline platforms would be like going directly from Famciom/NES to Gamecube in one cycle.

And hitting half of what PS2 sold is still twice that the N64 sold...

Actually, it would still be more than N64+GC combined, no?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
reilo said:

PS3 hitting 60 million? Yeah thats likely >_>

jarrod

Banned
reilo said:

No, I meant half of 65%. Realistically, it'd take a miracle for PS3 to move 50% of what PS2 managed... it's not even possible at this point really.

Honestly, PS3 is probably going to sell somewhere between what GC and N64 moved, unless there's some huge shifts coming...

botticus

reilo said:

Which would be great if it was competing against those two platforms.

jett

D-Member
davepoobond said:

N64 games sold, though. Nintendo's especially. Sony am cry.

gimz

Moor-Angol said:
Famitsu data for the week ending on december 23 (so i'm really in topic!!!)

2007/12/17 - 12/23

01. (DS / S-E) Final Fantasy IV - 308.794 / 308.794
02. (DS / Nintendo) Mario Party 8 - 307.901 / 1.070.481
03. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Fit - 210.406 / 737.475
04. (Wii / Nintendo) Super Mario Galaxy - 109.029 / 680.165
05. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Sports - 108.629 / 2.370.673
06. (DS / S-E) Dragon Quest IV - 108.352 / 962.776
07. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Play - 104.635 / 1.918.814
08. (Wii / Nintendo) Mario & Sonic at Olympic Games - 100.433 / 307.198
09. (DS / BandaiNamco) Doraemon Baseball: Dramatic Stadium - 96.454 / 96.454
10. (PS2 / BandaiNamco) Naruto Shuuppuden: Narutimate Accel 2 - 94.330 / 94.330
11. (DS / Pokemon) Pokemon Mistery Dungeon Darkness/Time - 83.454 / 1.218.261
12. (DS / Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Devil's Box - 68.289 / 550.454
13. (Wii / Nintendo) Mario Party 8 - 60.320 / 1.007.899
14. (DS / Nintendo) Mario Kart DS - 53.158 / 2.660.373
15. (DS / Nintendo) Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero - 49.163 / 49.163
16. (DS / Capcom) Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk x Shinobi/Dinosaur - 47.056 / 203.285
17. (DS / Konami) Power Pro Pocket 10 - 46.891 / 128.832
18. (PS2 / Alchemist) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri - 42.385 / 42.385
19. (PS2 / Konami) Winning Eleven 2008 - 39.041 / 518.742
20. (PS2 / Konami) Power Pro Baseball 14 Ketteiban - 37.480 / 37.480

Mario Party 8 and DS became million sellers in the same week, DQIV non game status is around the corner, WE 2008 (PS2) is over half million, not bad at all.
No PSP (as usual) and no PS3 games on top20, Sony should be worried... (ok, ok, PSP is considered as a multimedia device more than a game system for japanese people bla bla bla bla....)
5 wii titles, 4 DS and 1 PS2 in Top 10
Wii>DS this week

davepoobond

Innotech said:

i was talking in the general sense. as time goes on it is simple to see that games are getting more and more impressive technically as a whole. its all about technology, and it costs money.

of course if you pick and choose shitty games to prove some sort of unrelated point...you're going to win that battle.

jett said:
N64 games sold, though. Nintendo's especially. Sony am cry.

not Jet Force Gemini. NINTENDO AM CRYYYY

or Pokemon Snap

or Hey You Pikachu

HK-47 said:
PS3 hitting 60 million? Yeah thats likely >_>

probably not. who knows though, did anyone ever think PSP would be selling as much as it is now? Its increasing YOY.

jarrod said:

perhaps PS3 is more akin to PS1 than the PS2? start out slow, end big. we know N64 and Gamecube weren't like that.

jarrod

Banned
davepoobond said:
not Jet Force Gemini. NINTENDO AM CRYYYY

or Pokemon Snap

or Hey You Pikachu
Actually RARE am cry, considering they made and self-published JFG. :lol

Pokemon Snap was a huge seller too, moving nearly 4m units... in fact it's outsold every PS3 game so far released, outselling Motorstorm and Resistance combined even at this point. Actually, even Hey you Pikachu has outdone any lone PS3 game (selling almost 2m iirc). :p

davepoobond said:
who knows though, did anyone ever think PSP would be selling as much as it is now?
They did back in 2004. Hell, people thought this machine was going to be the Nintendo-killer. ;)

davepoobond said:
perhaps PS3 is more akin to PS1 than the PS2? start out slow, end big. we know N64 and Gamecube weren't like that.
Yeah, that'd fall under the "miracle" thing I mentioned earlier. :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
davepoobond said:

So if I said, "the sky is pink and clouds are made of maple candy.. imo", would it make it true?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
omg rite said:
So if I said, "the sky is pink and clouds are made of maple candy.. imo", would it make it true?

cfht-pink.jpg

Yes.

davepoobond

jarrod said:
Actually RARE am cry, considering they made and self-published JFG. :lol

Pokemon Snap was a huge seller too, moving nearly 4m units... in fact it's outsold every PS3 game so far released, outselling Motorstorm and Resistance combined even at this point. Actually, even Hey you Pikachu has outdone any lone PS3 game (selling almost 2m iirc). :pl

while we're talking about comparability, maybe you should be comparing those releases to SNES games instead.

omg rite said:

yes.

hahahaha @ picture

How was the N64 a huge failure? It sold about 17 million less than the SNES. The PS3 will probably sell at least 50 million less than the PS2, and probably much more.

jarrod

Banned
davepoobond said:
while we're talking about comparability, maybe you should be comparing those releases to SNES games instead.
Sure, but 2-4m is pretty respectable no matter the platform really... espeically for genre divergent spinoffs.

davepoobond

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
How was the N64 a huge failure? It sold about 17 million less than the SNES. The PS3 will probably sell at least 50 million less than the PS2, and probably much more.

failure is not and should not be measured by how much a decrease there is in install base from one console to the next. Just because it doesn't do as well as the one before it it doesn't make it a failure.

it has to be compared to the other consoles in its generation, as well as the "losers" of the last generation.

if the PS3 ends up getting an install base that is XBOX+GC but its still less than Wii and 360...what does that make it?

antiloop

Threi said:
The loser of this generation?

Depends if you are in it for the statistics or the quality of the games. All consoles so far have had great games. At least the ones I have owned.

They are all winners. :)

Lobster

Banned
Wait what? Since when is the Ps3 going to sell half of Ps2 :lol

It will probably only do 25 million max! Remember, its doing as well as the GC was doing.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
antiloop said:
Depends if you are in it for the statistics or the quality of the games.

Is this the Quality Games Create thread now?

Innotech

Banned
antiloop said:
Depends if you are in it for the statistics or the quality of the games. All consoles so far have had great games. At least the ones I have owned.

They are all winners. :)
well the wii already has the #2 highest ranked videogame ever in Super Mario Galaxy. Id say thats pretty good quality.

Wii-za

jarrod, do you really expect th PS3 to sell ~40 million units in its lifetime?

davepoobond said:
N64 was worse off imo

So then I must said: It will be a success if the PS3 sells 10 million units in its lifetime..imo

omg rite said:

*looks at picture*

oohhh...

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
It doesn't... but it's worth noting SEGA's direct response to Game Boy had "Kids" in it's branding. Pico's not the only games platform aimed at children... handhelds pre-DS/PSP were largely for kids as well.

And? PS2 wasn't aimed at the same demographic GB was either, I guess that also invalidates any comparison there?
This comparison started with that you saying that GBA was more like the Pokémon Mini. I then said that Pokémon Mini was a system that was aimed at one specific group while VB (or GBA for that matter) wasnt in the same way. You also said it was "muddy" to call Pico a kids system, but every Pico game (atleast in the US) got a EC (early childhood) rating. But anyway, if you agree or not agree to what i say is up to you.

jarrod said:
I understand what you're saying perfectly, I think we all do. Diversionary comparions aside, I don't think calling the PS3 "the biggest failure in gaming" is at all off base looking at where things sit today, where they look headed, and the dramatic scale of things. Sure, there's been platforms that sold worse or were dropped quicker, but not any platform in a similar position. PS3's going to be lucky if it cracks 30m lifetime the way things are going, which in itself may be a pretty respectable figure, but when you consider the positioning, support and branding this machine had... that's a pretty epic drop, far more dramatic than an experimental 3D "portable", kids edutainment toy or various MegaDrive hardware add-ons. making those sorts of flimsy comparisons doesn't put PS3 in a better light, it more reveals the massive scale of it's decline and the desperation of it's proponents.
Since you call my comparisons diversionary it shows that you didnt understand what i ment. I never tried to divert any of my points. All i did was to reply to your posts. I stand for everything i said in this discussion.

I already said that i think PS3 can be the biggest failure when it comes to money losses and that there are different factors to choose from when you're going to label something a failure. Biggest failure in money loss, biggest failure in supporting the system, biggest failure drop in market share etc. etc. This was also not an attempt to put the PS3 in a better light, but i still think other systems are a bigger failure than the PS3.

Its a pity that you dont understand what i ment since i would like for you to understand what my points are of course, but as said, unfortunately i dont think i can reformulate my points better than i have already done. I guess we'll have to end this discussion with agreeing to disagree.

test_account

XP-39C²
Wii-za said:
So then I must said: It will be a success if the PS3 sells 10 million units in its lifetime..imo

If PS3 should sell 10 million worldwide, N64 would defintily be a bigger success compared to PS3, no doubt about that. PS3 is already upto 6-7 (?) million consoles sold worldwide within its first year so the chances for it to only sell 10 million is astronomical small :)

Top Bottom