• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

Sviatoslav said:
And the 360 is such a huge failure that those rules don't apply to it and its sales went up too. :lol
Pretty much. It's sales are so close to bottom that any small spike is going to make for an overinflated trend.

justchris

papelnabangka said:
I agree, even with the catastrophic failure, the PS3 is still a Playstation by name and the brand still carries alot, if not a diminished clout, the same way the Nintendo brand still carrying alot of clout back then despite floundering like a fish out of water.

Well, it's not so much the brand, as it is, with the PS2 gamer seemingly abstaining from this generation so far, there's no conclusive way to tell which way they will jump. History says they'll go for the top selling console, which means Wii, but there are a lot of factors that can affect that decision. I think the divergence in games going to the 360/PS3 vs. the Wii will alter the playing field significantly.

I also figure there's around 50 million PS2 gamers who've yet to jump into this generation. That's a pretty big swing vote no matter who it goes to. If Wii is selling (as it appears) to mostly a new audience, that's not going to make or break them, but that could seriously affect the 2nd vs 3rd place ranking.

Last generation, total install base was ~160 million. Currently, we're looking at a current gen install base of ~35-40 million. That leaves a minimum 120 million to go to match last gen (this is counting home consoles only, some people may leave consoles for handhelds). I honestly believe, though, that we can manage 200-250 million console install base before this gen plays out, but it's gonna be at least another year before it really picks up. Prices have to go down on hardware first.

davepoobond said:
perhaps PS3 is more akin to PS1 than the PS2? start out slow, end big. we know N64 and Gamecube weren't like that.
PS1 was an unknown from a new competitor without a fanbase ready to go. N64, PS2, GameCube, PS3 weren't.

felipeko said:
I bet Nintendo could've sold more 10 million of N64 consoles if they were willing to lose $2 billion in the process.
Sony must have lost a lot more on the PS3 by now, no? Roughly $3b from what we know (fiscal 2007 plus 2 quarters of 2008) and that loss is offset by the profits from PS2 (hard- and software) and presumably PSP (hardware) and the fact that R&D probably ate into profits well before 2007.

And with the price drops and bundles this can only get worse for the last two quarters of 2008. Financially PS3 is an absolute disaster and Sony can thank Stringer that the rest of the company is well off, otherwise they'd be in deep shit.

Paracelsus said:
Wasn' t that one of the PS3 main problems during the first year, as in the massive lack of third party support?
Not really, it hasn't seen the sheer volume of titles the Wii has seen but most big third party games were released on PS3. But between 360 and PS3 latter only plays second fiddle so the PS3 version is in most cases the port. And you can't blame the devs/pubs either with the stellar software sales on 360.

.dmc

Banned
justchris said:
I honestly believe, though, that we can manage 200-250 million console install base before this gen plays out, but it's gonna be at least another year before it really picks up. Prices have to go down on hardware first.

That is a massive leap of faith that assumes that there were 160 million 'real' gamers who are just slow getting into this generation, that Nintendo's success is built close to almost entirely on 'new' gamers and that they'll find an extraordinary number of them.

Personally I imagine that the scenario closer to the truth is that Nintendo are capturing the 80% of Playstation owners who bought in at $>199, casual, indifferent gamers who see gaming as an amusement rather than the next great medium. They may be expanding the market as well, but I don't think they're expanding it to the point that they'll drag an extra 40-100million gamers in, that's fucking crazy talk.

Sony + Microsoft were following a very conventional strategy of attracting the enthusiast early adopter, and using that momentum to become the default game platform, thereby grabbing the late adopters. As far back as E3 2005 I saw Nintendo's biggest chance at success with the Wii was bypassing that stage and leaping straight into that 80% of Sony's audience of late adopters. And I think that's what they're doing. I don't think you can pretend that either Sony or Microsoft are going to cross a magic price threshold that will take them to PS2 adoption levels, because I think that the greater portion of that audience is already disappearing.

All IMHO of course.

.dmc said:
That is a massive leap of faith that assumes that there were 160 million 'real' gamers who are just slow getting into this generation, that Nintendo's success is built close to almost entirely on 'new' gamers and that they'll find an extraordinary number of them.

Personally I imagine that the scenario closer to the truth is that Nintendo are capturing the 80% of Playstation owners who bought in at $>199, casual, indifferent gamers who see gaming as an amusement rather than the next great medium. They may be expanding the market as well, but I don't think they're expanding it to the point that they'll drag an extra 40-100million gamers in, that's fucking crazy talk.

Sony + Microsoft were following a very conventional strategy of attracting the enthusiast early adopter, and using that momentum to become the default game platform, thereby grabbing the late adopters. As far back as E3 2005 I saw Nintendo's biggest chance at success with the Wii was bypassing that stage and leaping straight into that 80% of Sony's audience of late adopters. And I think that's what they're doing. I don't think you can pretend that either Sony or Microsoft are going to cross a magic price threshold that will take them to PS2 adoption levels, because I think that the greater portion of that audience is already disappearing.

All IMHO of course.

Ey 40-100 Million is a very big gap, 40 Million extra I can see Nintendo pulling it off, with the way Wii is selling already. 100 Million extra? Maybe Wii 2. Really though, it depends if Nintendo is up for it, if they continue to be conservative on production, I can't see how they'll outdo PS2 numbers. I also think they should concentrate on Europe the most, seeing as how the potential there is the biggest. They've already got Japan in the bag, and is rolling on fine with USA.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Actually on their Japanese investor relations site you can find shipment data for the last decade and total for pretty much all of their systems but Virtual Boy. Final NES/SNES breakdown:

NES
Japan: 19.35m
America: 34.00m
Other: 8.56m

SNES
Japan: 17.17m
America: 23.35m
Other: 8.58m

Ah, very nice! Close to what I thought they were, but it's nice to see the actual numbers. :)

NES

Japan: 19.35m
America: 34.00m
Other: 8.56m

SNES
Japan: 17.17m (11% decline from previous gen)
America: 23.35m (31% decline from previous gen)
Other: 8.58m (0.002% increase from previous gen)

N64
Japan: 5.5m (69% decline from previous gen)
America: 20.6m (12% decline from previous gen)
Other: 6.75m (21.3% decline from previous gen)

GC
Japan: 4m (27% decline from previous gen)
America: 12.8m (38% decline from previous gen)
Other: 4.8m (29% decline from previous gen)

That really shows how huge the SNES-to-N64 collapse was in Japan. No other transition comes even close, though overall sales decline every time but one. It's also interesting how much Sega hurt Nintendo in the 16-bit race, while in Europe Nintendo was flat... though I think Sega's European sales were definitely above Nintendo's.

In the US, the N64 was actually Nintendo's biggest success of its post-NES consoles by this reckoning, given that it ended up with only a 12% decline while the SNES and GC both dropped over 30% from their predecessors. Of course that doesn't tell the whole story, given that 23 million was enough for the SNES to win the US while 20 million put the N64 at half of the PSX's ~40 million sold in the US, but that looks pretty good compared to the GC's 38% decline competing against a system that again sold over 40 million. Even so though, with 62% of its worldwide sales in the US, the GC was much more successful here than anywhere else.

jarrod said:
Overall, N64 really only saw a dramatic decline from SFC in one core region... comparably, PS3's stumbling about everywhere compared to PS2. N64 still moved ~65% of what it's predecessor managed, PS3's going to lucky hit half that figure. Again, the drop from PS2 to PS3 in terms of Nintendo's mainline platforms would be like going directly from Famciom/NES to Gamecube in one cycle.

And in its best region, Nintendo got 88% of its previous system's total with the N64. I highly doubt Sony will be anywhere NEAR that number in any region, to say the least.

test_account said:
Cool :) So they didnt sell 10 million in Europe as i thought, but the numbers seems to fit when i think about it. That serial numbered 5.5 million unit i have is a brand new one fron Spain. The guy i bought it from had a few new NES units, i guess he found them in an old stock or something. So i guess its from the late NES era when the interest for NES was lacking. Lets say 6 - 6.5 million in the PAL-B territories and 2 million in PAL-A territories (UK, Italy and Australia). Sounds abour right, no?

If its 34 million for USA, my 32 million console must be pretty "new" :)

The real key for European NES sales is how they compared to Sega Master System and computer systems sales. How did the NES or SNES's 8.5 millions sold actually compare to its competition at the time... that the Europe numbers are so far below the US and Japan numbers for both systems suggests to me that my belief that Nintendo wasn't doing anywhere near as well in Europe with those systems as they did in the US and Japan is reasonable. No way was 8.5 million the winning system... though given that I was under the impression that computer systems were dominant for a while, and many, many more people own computers than use them seriously for gaming, exact number comparisons might be hard. Are there any European SMS/Genesis numbers out there, at least? :)

A Black Falcon said:
Ah, very nice! Close to what I thought they were, but it's nice to see the actual numbers. :)

SNES
Japan: 17.17m (11% decline from previous gen)
America: 23.35m (31% decline from previous gen)
Other: 8.58m (0.002% increase from previous gen)

N64
Japan: 5.5m (69% decline from previous gen)
America: 20.6m (12% decline from previous gen)
Other: 6.75m (21.3% decline from previous gen)

GC
Japan: 4m (27% decline from previous gen)
America: 12.8m (38% decline from previous gen)
Other: 4.8m (29% decline from previous gen)
Those are really dismal European numbers. Safe to say that the Wii will outsell all previous Nintendo consoles by next year in Europe. Huge turn around.

apujanata

.dmc said:

All IMHO of course.

Very nice theory there. Logicaly probable too. PS3 are screwed if your theory is true.

BishopLamont said:
Those are really dismal European numbers. Safe to say that the Wii will outsell all previous Nintendo consoles by next year in Europe. Huge turn around.

Yeah, that's why Nintendo's success in Europe this time is so surprising... they've never really BEEN successful in Europe before with major consoles. This will really be the first time...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think Wii wouldn't have had half of its success in Europe (and perhaps in other regions) without the DS paving its way.

polluar

marc^o^ said:
I think Wii wouldn't have had half of its success in Europe (and perhaps in other regions) without the DS paving its way.

that's interessting , but i think also the wii would'nt have been such a succes in France without the huge TV campaign wich has been made.

Every day since maybe october, you had three commercials each hour for the wii on TF1, F2, M6 and TNT

The PR push has been also quite efficient. In every newspaper from dailies to magazines like elle, femme actuelle... tv mag, kiddie mag, finances and biz newspaper or senior press, you could see the wii.

And it's not finished, the issue of january of Femme Actuelle already dedicated an article to Wii Fit.... A press demo has been performed in a Spa Hotel in Switzerland for press. I think we 're going to see Wii Fit every where.

But no release date :(

Lobster

Banned
marc^o^ said:

I agree. IMO a lot of Wii's success is from DS. DS made Nintendo look fresh, brand new and smart.

The console shows this aswell. A White Wii looks really sophisticated compared to previous Nintendo consoles.

Neo C. said:
This is Europe. Before Playstation came out, videogames were pretty hardcore. Nintendo never was that popular as the PS1 and 2, at least home console wise. The Wii on the other hand could be more successful in Europe than SNES, N64 and GC combined.:lol

edit: beaten.

Its a bit weird, really.

When I was a kid, every boy and quite a lot of girls, played Sega Mega Drive and SNES. Before that it was all NES. But very few people actually had a NES.

Then the battle raged on. Most people had both Sega and SNES. And GB's too. I could swear, well at least in the UK and circa 1994 that anyone would know what a "Super Nintendo" was. That was how we referred to it. I don't think anyone called it a SNES. I can understand that in the rest of Europe that gaming wasn't all the popular. After, the N64 came out. And most people knew what it was. But the cool thing was known as Sony, and GTA. I can remember all my family get togethers and a lot of us playing Street Fighter II Turbo, and all my friends would play when they came over too.

What bogs my mind though, GC was very difficult to find good software for. Most high street shops never really supported it. All the games for the last 3 years are second hand, hardly no official peripherals. But I went to Europe specifically Barcelone, Paris. and over there all there electronic shops stocked lots of GC hardware and official peripherals, and even good games. I remember buying my RGB Scart cable there, for around £20 (equated), because it just wasn't available in the UK. But I assumed the GC had a reasonably good following in the UK. Until I went University, I didn't realise just how many people still play SSBM/MK:DD etc etc. I found lots of people with a GC. And this is in 2006.

test_account

XP-39C²
A Black Falcon said:
No way was 8.5 million the winning system... though given that I was under the impression that computer systems were dominant for a while, and many, many more people own computers than use them seriously for gaming, exact number comparisons might be hard. Are there any European SMS/Genesis numbers out there, at least? :)

According to 2 sources at Wikipedia, Master System sold about 13 million units worldwide. NES was the dominant console in most parts of Europe back in those days, even with "only" 8.5 million sold. Gaming back then wasnt as huge as it is now. Computer gaming might have been more of a competitor back then ye. You had C64, Amiga, Atari ST, Spectrum ZX and so on.

farnham

Banned
How the Hardwares are doing

PS3 and GT5P is selling but not greatly.. There is a small pricedrop on GT5P

PSP Hardware is selling but the Software is looking dark.

For the DS both Hardware and Software is selling so much that shipments cant cope with the demand..

The Wii seems to be No.1 this week. Wii Fit is selling greatly and the demand is way higher then the shipment.. For used copies you pay 14000 Yen instead of 8800 Yen

Super Mario Galaxy is selling well.. TV Commercials are re airing and its selling near to 800k

The 360 is not selling despite of the season

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?main=ps&table=game_ps04&page=1&left=b&num=36799

2ch Hardware -> Ruliweb -> neoGaf

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
farnham said:

For the DS both Hardware and Software is selling so much that shipments cant cope with the demand..

The Wii seems to be No.1 this week. Wii Fit is selling greatly and the demand is way higher then the shipment.. For used copies you pay 14000 Yen instead of 8800 Yen

Super Mario Galaxy is selling well.. TV Commercials are re airing and its selling near to 800k

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?main=ps&table=game_ps04&page=1&left=b&num=36799

So this means shortages for DS again?
Amazing to see Wii, Wii Fit and SMG all sell well.

farnham

Banned
starship said:
So this means shortages for DS again?
Amazing to see Wii, Wii Fit and SMG all sell well.
take it with a pitch of salt though..

its from 2ch hageru... this place is the origin of the megaton rumor and many other bullshit rumors that weren't true

ksamedi

farnham said:

Kind of expected, WiiFit is acting like Brain Training did for the DS.

farnham said:

Ouch - not good news.

Pretty much the story everywhere for the past 12-18 months, no?

Wowza.

:D

After a horrid start, it looks like SMG is going to burn its way to the million mark, thanks to what appears to be a combination of WiiFit, strong advertising, the holiday boom and good word-of-mouth. Dunno how much to expect for this when all's said and done, though - will it persist much past the holiday season?

farnham

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
After a horrid start, it looks like SMG is going to burn its way to the million mark, thanks to what appears to be a combination of WiiFit, strong advertising, the holiday boom and good word-of-mouth. Dunno how much to expect for this when all's said and done, though - will it persist much past the holiday season?

This wants to make me scream

GIVE ZELDA TP A SECOND CHANCE YOU DAMN NINTENDO YOU

Lobster

Banned
farnham said:

You wouldn't believe how nice this tid bit of info is to me..God the sales age inside of me was about to shrivel up and keep hurting me instead of dying.

Great to hear about SMG..seriously..Atleast maybe our LTD predictions will be right.

gimz

farnham said:
actually they are not used, in Japan game store are not allow to sell new game for higher than the marked price, but it doesnt affact second hand market, so they are marked as second hand so they can sell them for a higher price, same thing happen for the DSlite year ago
farnham said:
actually i really cant imagine how this DS madness really is in Japan...

guess i will have to see it for myself when i go to Japan this April

farnham said:
This wants to make me scream

GIVE ZELDA TP A SECOND CHANCE YOU DAMN NINTENDO YOU
ya they shouldve re-release Zelda with small change like "CONTROLABLE CAMERA", and it will do much better than when it first released

justchris

.dmc said:

All IMHO of course.

Well, okay, perhaps my thought wasn't complete. First off, 160 million is the approximate install base for last generation. I'm estimating the approximate install base of this generation at ~40 million, which is a difference of 120 million that needs to be made up to even match the previous generation.

When I say I expect this generation to exceed the previous generation by anywhere from 40-100 million units, I'm not talking about all of that purely coming from the Wii. Part of it will come from the Wii picking up new and lapsed gamers, yes, but a lot of it will come from how this generation is playing out as far as actual games go. Last generation, a gamer could be satisfied with a PS2 and not need anything else. This generation, it's becoming more and more apparent that to really cover your bases, you're going to need more than one system. There'll still be a casual majority that only has the one system, but I think there'll be more multi-console owners this generation than there were the previous one.

And look at the trends we're already seeing. In NA the 360 started slow, but is really quickly pushing past the Xbox in sales. The Wii is trending well above the PS2, and the PS3 is trending not far behind the GC. In Japan the 360 may double the Xbox ltd, the Wii is trending above the PS2 and the PS3 is trending not far behind the GC. European numbers are sketchier, but it appears both the 360 & the PS3 are likely to beat the Xbox, and the Wii is trending similarly to the PS2.

Assuming all 3 systems continue to roughly match historical trends, that indicates a general increase in overall install base for consoles as a whole. As prices decrease and multi-console ownership becomes more viable for the core market, that'll drive more hardware sales to keep the trends up.

If the 360 & the PS3 manage ~35 million each, the Wii will only just barely need to beat the PS2 (at ~130 million) to get me that 200 million number for the entire generation.

DSL 195000
PSP 158000
PS2 30000
PS3 49000
Wii 162000
360 9200

1.OG 199000 (70% sell-thru)
2.MP DS 162000(1232000)
3.FF4 138000(447000)
4.SO1 115000
5.Wii Sport 94000(2465000)
6.DQ4 90000(1053000)
7.WiiFit 81000(818000)
8.Wii Play 72000(1991000)
9.Haruhi 71000
10.SMG 68000(748000)

21.COD4360 26000
26.COD4PS3 21000
OUT.Gundam Musou 360 9400
OUT.人生Wii 6600
OUT.人生DS 4800
OUT.ポリフォニカ 4700
OUT.のだめ 2400
OUT.Gundam Slot Wii 1600
OUT.Metal Slug Wii 1100

11.Layton2 65000(615000)
12.Mario & Sonic 56000(363000)
13.MP8 46000(1054000)
14.MHP2 38000(1490000)
15.Pokemon Dungeon 38000(1257000)
16.MK DS 35000(2695000)
18.Power Baseball 10 30000(158000)
19.New SMB 27000(4995000)
20.WEPS2 26000(545000)
22.TOI 22000(178000)
23.GT5P 22000(158000)
25.Layton1 21000(766000)
27.Card Hero DS 19000(68000)
29.ぶつもり 18000(4514000)
30.Dora Baseball DS 18000(115000)

God, DQIV is a manimal. FFIV might drag out 800k if it can hang on a little while longer, but 700k is seeming more likely. Mario & Sonic is going to end up with a ridiculous multiplier given its first week. And Super Mario Galaxy is hanging on like a pro. Thank god Japan finally caught on.

Not sure how to feel about Star Ocean numbers. My sense is that they're good (for PSP), but we'll have to see if they completely collapse next week.

Oh, and lol at ToI.

Frillen

AnimeTheme said:
DSL 195000
PSP 158000
PS2 30000
PS3 49000
Wii 162000
360 9200

1.OG 199000 (70% sell-thru)
2.MP DS 162000(1232000)
3.FF4 138000(447000)
4.SO1 115000
5.Wii Sport 94000(2465000)
6.DQ4 90000(1053000)
7.WiiFit 81000(818000)
8.Wii Play 72000(1991000)
9.Haruhi 71000
10.SMG 68000(748000)

21.COD4360 26000
26.COD4PS3 21000
OUT.Gundam Musou 360 9400
OUT.人生Wii 6600
OUT.人生DS 4800
OUT.ポリフォニカ 4700
OUT.のだめ 2400
OUT.Gundam Slot Wii 1600
OUT.Metal Slug Wii 1100

11.Layton2 65000(615000)
12.Mario & Sonic 56000(363000)
13.MP8 46000(1054000)
14.MHP2 38000(1490000)
15.Pokemon Dungeon 38000(1257000)
16.MK DS 35000(2695000)
18.Power Baseball 10 30000(158000)
19.New SMB 27000(4995000)
20.WEPS2 26000(545000)
22.TOI 22000(178000)
23.GT5P 22000(158000)
25.Layton1 21000(766000)
27.Card Hero DS 19000(68000)
29.ぶつもり 18000(4514000)
30.Dora Baseball DS 18000(115000)

Wait, isn't this supposed to be the biggest sales week in Japan, so why is everything down compared to last week?

ksamedi said:
Those are some nice COD4 sales. BTW, is DQ4 doing better than the PS1 remake?
I'm pretty sure it's tracking ahead now, but I'm at work so we'll have to wait for ethelred, jjs, donny, or someone who isn't too lazy to search the charts from when they've been posted before.

botticus

Frillen said:
Wait, isn't this supposed to be the biggest sales week in Japan, so why is everything down compared to last week?
I seem to recall hearing that this reported week would be slower, with the first week of January being the big one.

Soule

Does anyone know if Rune Factory 2 will be in next week's thread? It was released on 3rd of January, but what I really want to know was if anyone knows the sales of Rune Factory 1 so far?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
super funk said:
Didnt it do a lot better than the first Tales game on DS?

No. TotT price collapsed majorly and did 200k on the nose. ToI will pass TotT, but "a lot" is a pretty substantial exaggeration, and the budgets of the two games are miles apart.

Soule said:
Does anyone know if Rune Factory 2 will be in next week's thread? It was released on 3rd of January, but what I really want to know was if anyone knows the sales of Rune Factory 1 so far?

125k (Moor Angol)

Paracelsus

DeaconKnowledge said:
Super Mario Galaxy hanging in there.

PS3 is dropping slowly but surely.

DMC4 and Disgaea should be able to stop PS3 from falling below 40k. Maybe.

And I'm glad SO: First Departure did not bomb. \m/_

Top Bottom