• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

jarrod said:
There's also FFX-2, which is about as much of a "spinoff" as CCFF7 basically. :lol

FFX-2 is a full RPG; it has the same gameplay, in the same amounts, as a "normal" FF. FF:CC (just like FFT) is in a different genre and has different gameplay; in CC's case, it's in in a lesser amount than a "normal" FF. That's what makes one a spinoff and one... something else. (A "sequel," perhaps? :lol )

Xeke said:
I'm not sure if I really believe all this FFIV is more popular stuff.

Well, the PS1 sales numbers and the informed opinions of individuals directly familiar with the opinions of Japanese gamers definitely carry less weight than your off the cuff opinion here.

Jiggy37 said:
so I'm hoping this can open the gates for remakes of other excellent games that--unlike DQIV--were never released outside Japan, or were never re-released in the long while since they were made.

Well -- we got Front Mission 1. Beyond DQ5/6 (which we'll definitely be seeing), though, I'm not sure what else we could reasonably expect to see get remade and hit US release that never came out here before. Bahamut Lagoon? Live-a-Live? SD3 is the only real AAA title that we haven't ever gotten, and I'm thinking Mana is going to take a rest for a while....

Sage00 said:
So I was just looking at third party software attach ratios for Wii and.. this surprised me. From what I'm seeing it's around .5:1? Seriously.. almost half of Wii owners don't even own 1 third party title? Am I doing it wrong? I must be, because that sounds crazy.. o.o
Sounds about right. Though we should have a better idea once the Top 100 comes out, and an even better idea once the Top 500 comes out (by which time it will be really out of date). Looking at the week before and of the Top 500 list for DS in 2005, software sales appear to go up by several million thanks to both legitimately large holiday sales, and phantom increases in LTDs that happened under the radar.
Link said:
Can someone who's good at this sort of thing (Joshua?) figure out what the theoretical weekly max is for Wii sales going by known worldwide shipments and distribution percentages? I'm curious to see if all those slow weeks the Wii had will be negated by holiday sales and if they'll end up selling everything that was left sitting around anyway.
Donny's probably worked more with stuff like that. Right off the bat it seems to me it would be hard to tell precisely how the shift from 1 million/month to 1.8 million/month occurred.
_Alkaline_ said:
How much did Sunshine end up selling in Japan?
Nearly 800K.
ethelred said:
No. And if they try that, given the calibre of the team making the game, it's going to backfire on them in a big way.
Could it do more damage than Dirge of Cerberus?
Vic said:
but FFIII didn't do very well after it's first week (because of the low shipment, fault to SE). If FFIV is selling decently in the coming weeks, it's probably going to surpass FFIII numbers.
Why expect that, though? FF games are extremely front-loaded. FF III's shortages made it an exception, so it approximately doubled its first week sales. I'm probably not quite right on this thanks to all the various rereleases and spinoffs out there, but tripling-quadrupling seems nearly unprecedented for FF.
the thoroughbred said:
Everyone seems so sure that SMG is going to stay a bit longer. But as soon as the festivities are over everything drops like a lead zeppelin. I reckon it will be back to 10k numbers in about 2 weeks. Next will probably bigger, it usually is, right? But after the new year thats it.
A game doesn't have to keep doing 100K to "stay a bit longer" and significantly increase total sales. In early November to lure people away from the edge of the roof, I compared SMG to games like Kirby Squeak Squad. Decent start, but a really big surge in December. Between its November 2 launch and the end of 2006, it had reached 700K. By the time it dropped out of the Top 30 it was at 888K. By the middle of 2007 it was at 995K, and we'll probably soon find it's past a million by now.

Super Mario 64 DS was at 470K by the end of 2004, 693K when it last appeared in the Top 30, and by the middle of this year was at 1.04M.

Super Mario Sunshine was at 600K after two months, 643K by the time it dropped out of the Top 30, 677K by the end of 2002, and is now at nearly 800K. And of course Wii has a bit more potential for continued sales than GameCube.
cvxfreak said:
The standalone releases for FFV and FFVI sold far lower than FFIV's. FFVI's was actually released the same day as FFC if I remember correctly, and sales were very low as a result. Still, that's a lot of FFIV PSone.
Ha. Could the rule be "first FF rerelease sells best", which worked in IV's favor on PS1 but not on DS? This also seems to hold for GBA: I&II sold the best, even though it was 1050 more yen than the eventual releases of IV, V, and VI.
HK-47 said:
Just like TP sold better than WW or OoT?
Super Mario Galaxy released when Wii had sold more than GCN had by SMS's release or N64 had by SM64's release. Twilight Princess released when Wii had sold less than GCN had by WW's release or N64 had by OOT's release.

Jiggy

charlequin said:
Well -- we got Front Mission 1. Beyond DQ5/6 (which we'll definitely be seeing), though, I'm not sure what else we could reasonably expect to see get remade and hit US release that never came out here before. Bahamut Lagoon? Live-a-Live? SD3 is the only real AAA title that we haven't ever gotten, and I'm thinking Mana is going to take a rest for a while....
Well, a couple things... I said any potential DS remakes didn't have to come from S-E alone. And by "great" games I don't mean full-on AAA; there's lots of lesser stuff that I'd be happy to see.

But exactly what that stuff is, I admittedly don't know--the trouble with asking for forgotten classics to be remade is that, well, they're forgotten, so I don't have any specific requests in mind. I'm not any more sure of what's out there than most people, but I'm guessing that good lost games exist. (I'd never heard of Live a Live before that one thread a few months ago, for one.) Without having examples, though, I'd still say generally that decent candidates for being remade might be games without much text to translate, like quirky 2D platformers.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
HK-47 said:
SMK did not outsell SMW or SMA

And Mario Kart 64 didn't outsell SM64, iirc. But if he was relegating it to Japan, then it might be true.

fresquito

People sems to be concerned with how third party software performs on the Wii. Now, can you tell me what game you expected to do better on the Wii? Realistically.

I only had some hope for We Love Golf. Anything else was utter garbage or condemned to bomb (like Zack & Wiki).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
JoshuaJSlone said:
http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/n64.php
1 Mario Kart 64 Nintendo 1.711.161
2 Super Mario 64 Nintendo 1.639.914
3 Super Smash Bros. Nintendo 1.632.055

Everything else is significantly lower.

Wow! I didn't realize SSB was that high. No wonder Nintendo went all out for Melee.

Link said:
We're in a Media Create thread, of course I was only referring to Japan.

No, you weren't.

Jokeropia

Go go Galaxy! Great legs displayed by many titles in the chart.
BishopLamont said:
Another 100k week and Galaxy is only 30k~ from SMS, since next week is going to be even bigger, I wouldn't be surprised if it passes it next week.
Next week is unlikely to be bigger, but the first week of January has a chance.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Isn't the wii board already the best selling peripheral of these last years in Japan? If it follows wiiplay's trend, it could end up at more than 2 millions over there. This perspective is certainly appealing for developpers to use it in other games and I can't wait to see more creations put into this device. Anyone else here thinks this is the most innovative/promising peripheral we've seen in a long time?.

apotema

My Fate in Japan is slowly getting restored... We will have to wait and see if DMC4, Mario Kart and Smash Bros sell

ki/oon

I've played Wiifit last week, and it was insanely fun… and I'm not even a girl!
This shit is going to sales truckloads.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
apotema said:
My Fate in Japan is slowly getting restored... We will have to wait and see if DMC4, Mario Kart and Smash Bros sell

DMC4 isn't on the Wii. Look at what Dynasty Warriors: Gundam did and scale down your expectations.

ethelred

fresquito said:
People sems to be concerned with how third party software performs on the Wii. Now, can you tell me what game you expected to do better on the Wii? Realistically.

I only had some hope for We Love Golf. Anything else was utter garbage or condemned to bomb (like Zack & Wiki).

Utterly ridiculous.

ivysaur12

Banned
Considering how poorly SE handled the launch of DQ:S, it ended up doing moderately well.

But besides Nintendo and Capcom, no console games in Japan are really doing well right now, no matter the platform.

apotema said:

I'm kind of puzzled, why do you have DMC4 and two of the biggest games in history in the same sentence?

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Why expect that, though? FF games are extremely front-loaded. FF III's shortages made it an exception, so it approximately doubled its first week sales. I'm probably not quite right on this thanks to all the various rereleases and spinoffs out there, but tripling-quadrupling seems nearly unprecedented for FF.

For new Final Fantasys, you're correct in that they are extremely front-loaded. For the remakes, a good rule of thumb seems to be about doubling its first week in sales. That would mean 600-650K for FFIV, which would be below my expectations for a LTD number (750-800K).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
rakka said:
but unfortunately are still buying mario party too

Actually Mario Party DS is pretty much the best installment since probably Mario Party 2 so it's not as bad as it might seem.

jko

donny2112 said:
Ordered by first week sales:

Code:
NDS Final Fantasy III                    502K .. 52K .. 53K ... 1 million (20070701; probably would've done better with more stock early on)
[b]NDS Final Fantasy IV                     309K[/b]

WS  Final Fantasy                        147K .. 56K .. 44K ... 377K (20011230)
[B]GBA Final Fantasy V Advance[/B]              147K .. 33K .. 14K ... 243K (20061231)
WS  Final Fantasy II                     147K .. 28K .. 17K ... 242K (20011230)
GBA Final Fantasy VI Advance             137K .. 36K ..     ... 280K (20070701)
GBA Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls  137K .. 34K .. 26K ... 269K (20041226)
PS1 Final Fantasy IV                     119K .. 49K .. 23K ... 261K (19971228)
GBA Final Fantasy IV Advance              99K .. 35K .. 21K ... 219K (20061231)
PS1 Final Fantasy II                      57K .. 25K .. 14K ... 138K (20021229)
PS1 Final Fantasy                         55K .. 23K .. 14K ... 122K (20021229)
PSP Final Fantasy                         53K .. 41K ..     ... 118K (20070701)
PS1 Final Fantasy V                       51K .. 20K .. 11K ... 152K (19981227)
PSP Final Fantasy II                      34K .. 12K ..     ...  46K (20070617)
PS1 Final Fantasy VI                      27K .. 10K ..     ...  37K (19990321)
WS  Final Fantasy IV                      20K ..  6K ..  4K ...  30K (20020414)
Ooohhh yeah! Better the chance we'll see an FFV remake!!!!! :D

Jokeropia

Just like I predicted, all the people who proclaimed console gaming to be dead in Japan referring to DS and PSP as the only systems selling spoke too soon and used a far too limited amount of weeks to determine any trends. The primary platforms in Japan are not the DS and the PSP, it's the DS and the Wii.

rpgfan16k

Stumpokapow said:
Actually Mario Party DS is pretty much the best installment since probably Mario Party 2 so it's not as bad as it might seem.

I'm actually seriously thinking about buying it myself. "Better than Mario Party 2" doesn't help, as that's the only one I still enjoy to this day (except the duel mode from 3).

GT5 Prologue numbers are unquestionably bad, although not as bad as LO :-(

So, with Nintendomination again...is DMC the next time we'll see something different on the charts? How much does everyone expect it to move the ps3 in particular?

donny2112

Famitsu Dec 10-16

1. NDS Mario Party DS 160115 / 762580
2. WII Wii Fit 119841 / 527069
3. PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue 108040 / NEW
4. NDS Dragon Quest IV 78288 / 854424
5. NDS Prof. Layton and the Devil's Box 73496 / 482165
6. WII Super Mario Galaxy 70541 / 571136
7. WII Wii Sports 68497 / 2262044
8. WII Wii Play 66942 / 1814179
9. WII Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 58044 / 206765
10. WII Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: The Labyrinth of Lost Time 43756 / NEW
11. PS2 Winning Eleven 11: PES 2008 40632 / 479701
12. PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2 39091 / 124957
13. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 38818 / 1134807
14. NDS Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 34734 / 81941
15. PS2 SD Gundam G Generation Spirits 30131 / 313296
16. WII Mario Party 8 29130 / 947579
17. NDS Tales of Innocence 27910 / 134643
18. NDS Mario Kart DS 25811 / 2607215
19. PS2 Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes 23340 / 148738
20. NDS Mega Man Star Force 2: Beserk x Shinobi/Dinosaur 22925 / 156229
21. NDS Kirarin Revolution Tsukutte Misechao! Kime*Kira Stage 20802 / NEW
22. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 20612 / 1419369
23. NDS Dinosaur King - 7 Pieces 19389 / 96888
24. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 18201 / 4932627
25. PS3 Winning Eleven 11: PES 2008 18039 / 210864
26. WII NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams 16762 / NEW
27. PS2 Yakuza 2 (BEST) 16257 / 33916
28. NDS Taiko Drum Master 16181 / 224660
29. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 15786 / 725821
30. NDS Tamagotchi no Puchi Puchi Omisecchi: Mina San Kyu 15760 / 161320

*. 360 Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom 15000 / NEW
*. NDS Ookiku Furikabutte: Honto no Ace ni Nareru kamo 9300 / NEW
*. WII We Love Golf! 8600 / NEW
*. WII Soul Calibur Legends 6900 / NEW
*. PS2 Spectral Gene 4200 / NEW
*. NDS KuruKuru * Princess: Yume no White Quartet 4100 / NEW
*. 360 Shikigami no Shiro III 3100 / NEW
*. 360 Stuntman Ignition 1200 / NEW
*. 360 Smash Court Tennis 3 1000 / NEW
*. WII Shikigami no Shiro III 970 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Nov 12-18, 2007
Nov 19-25, 2007
Nov 26-Dec 2, 2007
Dec 3-9, 2007

ethelred

Jokeropia said:
Just like I predicted, all the people who proclaimed console gaming to be dead in Japan referring to DS and PSP as the only systems selling spoke too soon and used a far too limited amount of weeks to determine any trends. The primary platforms in Japan are not the DS and the PSP, it's the DS and the Wii.

Hey, Strawman, talked to Dorothy lately?

Flakster99

marc^o^ said:
Isn't the wii board already the best selling peripheral of these last years in Japan? If it follows wiiplay's trend, it could end up at more than 2 millions over there. This perspective is certainly appealing for developpers to use it in other games and I can't wait to see more creations put into this device. Anyone else here thinks this is the most innovative/promising peripheral we've seen in a long time?.

I've expressed this thought before, and I'll express it again: that shot in the arm the DS and it's software provided Japan in late 05 is happening again thanks to the Wii and Nintendo's own software.

Like a mirror image, multiple pieces of ingenious, fun, pick up and play software cluttered together, taking advantage of other consoles' software droughts, going for the jugular.

And +1 Wii Fit. :D

donny2112

Just a question, but does anyone actually read/find interest in the posted Famitsu Top 30s? Does the fact that the news in it is eight days old mean no one really cares one way or the other?

It's not difficult to keep posting it, so I plan on continuing to post it. I am just curious how useful (if at all) anyone finds it.

Redd

Stumpokapow said:

Wait is it really as good as Mario Party 2? Hmm I might have to get the DS game this weekend if true.

jgwhiteus

Busaiku said:
Going by software, it's the DS and PS2.

Well, for third party software. First party software on the Wii is doing just fine - how did its total software sales do relative to the PS2 this year? (I can't think of the best-selling PS2 game this year; I'm pretty sure Wii Sports and even Mario Party 8/Wii Fit now have outdone them? Maybe even SMG at this point.)

Two points maybe on this Wii third party software debate:

1. There's no denying that a lot of third party software has bombed, even stuff you'd expect to do moderately well (for example, I thought Chocobo Dungeon would at least sell 100K). At the same time, maybe it's unrealistic for the Wii to be pulling in PS2-level numbers for third party software at this stage - people tend to forget it started from (way) behind this generation, and furthermore that it was originally intended to occupy a different, more casual space from the expected market leader, PS3 - i.e. it wasn't going to have the depth and breadth of traditional games and gamers that the PS2 did when it started out. But it's suddenly been thrust into the position of market leader, and people expect it to act like the PS2 - except the PS2 userbase of traditional console gamers appear to be sticking with the PS2 (or DS) for at least a little longer. I think the Wii will eventually win them over in the next few years, but like the DS, its first year or two will be rough (for third party games). It probably needs to pull in an even more commanding userbase to achieve comparable numbers to the PS2's early third party software sales.

2. On future third party games - in the US, the third party sales situation's begun to reverse slightly with GHIII and smaller titles like Lego Star Wars, etc. - they don't always light up the top 10 charts (except GHIII, which has probably reached a million in the US by now?), but they do make good numbers for their publishers. The meme of "third parties can't sell on Nintendo systems because N-Tards only buy Nintendo games" is a bit tired, especially for people who were around during the NES and SNES days. Maybe Nintendo had the majority of sales back then, too, but third parties did well for themselves because Nintendo had the largest userbase. Fact of the matter is, even if a smaller percentage of your userbase buys games, if your lead is big enough it doesn't matter.

And I can't see third parties being content with Nintendo raking in the vast majority of profits for the entire life of its console - what Japanese video game exec is going to say, "Gosh, I'm happy that Nintendo is raking in billions by putting out a couple of titles each year for the Wii; I'm not interested in getting some of that money. Let's see if we can't spend money and help the PS3 out (and risk even worse sales)." Publishers will go where they think there are profit opportunities. There are plenty of game genres that Nintendo does not occupy (or does occupy, but where a cheap imitation wouldn't hurt). Eventually, more enterprising publishers will see if they can steal some market share by filling in the gaps with a big title.

felipeko

donny2112 said:
Just a question, but does anyone actually read/find interest in the posted Famitsu Top 30s? Does the fact that the news in it is eight days old mean no one really cares one way or the other?

It's not difficult to keep posting it, so I plan on continuing to post it. I am just curious how useful (if at all) anyone finds it.
I like seeing LTD for the top 30 once in a while... And some time the confirmation of the bombs...

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   279,563 |   222,144 | 6,948,478 | 20,954,157
2. WII   -   232,907 |   170,558 | 3,544,308 |  4,463,951
3. PSP   -   171,804 |   184,610 | 2,908,095 |  7,440,224
4. PS3   -    58,167 |    63,720 | 1,131,412 |  1,588,970
5. PS2   -    20,391 |    18,025 |   746,609 | 20,901,468
6. 360   -     7,908 |     8,561 |   234,335 |    499,037
7. GBA   -       100 |       140 |    50,634 | 15,348,713
8. NGC   -        31 |        32 |    10,526 |  4,179,994
GBA = 4 GBA + 54 SP + 42 Micro
NDS = 12 DS + 279,551 Lite

yankeeforever2 said:
171,804 units and no titles in the top 30, thats fucking insane.

If Sony still weren't making a profit on every PSP sold, they would be in big trouble. Fortunately they do make money on every PSP sold now.

yankeeforever2 said:
171,804 units and no titles in the top 30, thats fucking insane.

That was the number I was wanting to see after seeing no software in the top 30. And Nintendo selling a combined 500,000+ units in a week is just ...
crazy.gif

Top Bottom