• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
itxaka said:
awesome. Whic console is the all time winner LTD in japan? nes/snes? How many units?

AFAIK GB+GBC is higher than DS, but nothing else. I don't actually know how many units the NES shipped and data that old is a little unreliable, but I'm pretty sure whatever the number, the DS has now passed that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
RE:UC hanging in there nicely.

Chocobo nowhere to be seen. Bomba

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Just a question, but does anyone actually read/find interest in the posted Famitsu Top 30s? Does the fact that the news in it is eight days old mean no one really cares one way or the other?

It's not difficult to keep posting it, so I plan on continuing to post it. I am just curious how useful (if at all) anyone finds it.

I find it interesting. Unfortunately everyone wants data as soon as possible so people end up for some reason thinking that Media-Create is more reliable or a better source than Famitsu. Personally, I'm more interested in Famitsu data because a) heading back, Famitsu is older so we have a far better comparative basis to old titles, and b) We get top100/top500 from Famitsu, so even on a go-forward basis most of our data other than weeklies will end up being Famitsu in the long run.

I can't speak to which is statistically more accurate or has a better tracking methodology, but I personally prefer Famitsu.

Satter

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Lower numbers for Wii and DS compared to Famitsu. Higher numbers for PSP and PS3

Someone before said that Famitsu and MC numbers eventually washout. I'd sure like to know when this'll happen because I believe this trend has been going on for a little while now.

Busaiku said:
20,954,157 for the DS; 20,901,468 for the PS2. Unless my addition is off...:lol

That's quite impressive. And yet the system is still getting the cold shoulder from many publishers. I mean, not even a single Street Fighter game? The Playstation must have had about ten of them. Hell, even the black and white gameboy had one. I guess developers just aren't interested.

Busaiku said:
Going by software, it's the DS and PS2.
Not anymore. I previously predicted that SMG's release would be the turning point when Wii software would start consistently outselling PS2 software, and so far that's been the case for 5 of the 7 weeks we've had Famitsu software pie data for since then.

donny2112 said:
Just a question, but does anyone actually read/find interest in the posted Famitsu Top 30s? Does the fact that the news in it is eight days old mean no one really cares one way or the other?

It's not difficult to keep posting it, so I plan on continuing to post it. I am just curious how useful (if at all) anyone finds it.
This is one data archiver to another, but you're my key source for non-Babelfished English titles for the new games, so it's very very useful. From a thread conversation standpoint, though, yeah, it is a bit old hat considering the MC data from the day before, and that it's the finished equivalent of leaked Famitsu data from 8 days earlier.

schuelma

Stumpokapow said:
Interesting to see Umbrella Chronicles still kicking around. Patapon patabombed.

Yeah, it's probably close to 200K now. Pretty impressive performance.

itxaka

Defeatist
apotema said:
Game boy, with a lot more

Yep, wikipedia put them at 31 million LTD, GB + GBC but as alwys this data could have come from god knows where.

Anyway, time to the DS to go for the 31 million mark!

schuelma

So we won't get MC or Famitsu numbers next week correct?

Busaiku

itxaka said:
Yep, wikipedia put them at 31 million LTD, GB + GBC but as alwys this data could have come from god knows where.

That's certainly not out of the question.
With a YTD of what will be over 7 million, next year it may be about the same, maybe 1-2 million less, and the following year maybe another 2-3 million drop.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BishopLamont said:
Where's the Top 50 Cheese?

He's away from his program and so he'll have to manually translate and put the data up. In the mean time, just babelfish or googletrans the M-Create page. Unless you're looking for archival-level translations, you should be able to understand the result.

Stumpokapow said:
He's away from his program and so he'll have to manually translate and put the data up. In the mean time, just babelfish or googletrans the M-Create page. Unless you're looking for archival-level translations, you should be able to understand the result.
Ah ok.

gcfan2k5

Busaiku said:
With a YTD of what will be over 7 million, next year it may be about the same, maybe 1-2 million less, and the following year maybe another 2-3 million drop.

Dont worry, if sales start to slump they will just release DS Mini with DQ9 bundled in an exclusive DQ9 skin color. :lol

So if the first page is any indication the rest of the thread is filled people are calling GT5 Prologue bomba and that nothing can save the PS3 now.

Am I right?

CrisKre

Its interesting to me how it seems Wii will reach 4mil units sold before PS3 will reach 1.5mil. That is A LOT of units difference. Im STILL surprised there havent been much more game announcements for wii. Nintendo (its been a while since Mario Kart announcement) or 3rd party.

botticus

itxaka said:

From here:

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/report/NintendoAnnualReport2005.pdf#page=33

32.47 million as of 3/31/05, when the DS was at 2.12 million.

gcfan2k5 said:
Dont worry, if sales start to slump they will just release DS Mini with DQ9 bundled in an exclusive DQ9 skin color. :lol
Or perhaps drop the price.

schuelma

CrisKre said:
Its interesting to me how it seems Wii will reach 4mil units sold before PS3 will reach 1.5mil. That is A LOT of units. Im STILL surprised there havent been much more game announcements for wii.

It's like 4.45M to 1.6M.

itxaka

Defeatist
Busaiku said:

wow, what? 7 million YTD?? Incredible. They could go for that 32 million mark, if the DS dosn´t go really down from here and it´s still alive the could make it in 3 years.

Jokeropia

Busaiku said:
Going by software, it's the DS and PS2.
Like Joshua said, Wii is now selling more software than PS2.
ethelred said:
Hey, Strawman, talked to Dorothy lately?
Did you miss that people were arguing exactly that? It was quite common back when PSP got the Slim & Lite/Crisis Core boost while most other systems were down.

kamikaze

Innotech said:
50. brie
49. gouda
48. swiss
47. cottage
46. pro-

oh, nvm. :D

wtf! no way swiss is only at 48...top 20 for sure! :D

the ds ltd #s really put its success into perspective. it's even more staggering that the ds hit that mark in 3 years.

CrisKre

wow, what? 7 million YTD?? Incredible. They could go for that 32 million mark, if the DS dosn´t go really down from here and it´s still alive the could make it in 3 years.

At this rate, and seeing how DQIX hasnt been released yet, it may just hit that number in 2 years. *mind blows*

Link

The Autumn Wind
perfectchaos007 said:
Lower numbers for Wii and DS compared to Famitsu. Higher numbers for PSP and PS3
Isn't it usually like that? Probably due to which retailers they use for their tracking services.

EDIT - Hmm, I guess it isn't. It's always fluctuating one way or the other. Oh well.

schuelma

Link said:
Isn't it usually like that? Probably due to which retailers they use for their tracking services.

No, it fluctuates back and forth. A few weeks ago MC had Wii higher and PS3 lower and Sony fans were questioning MC's reliability. It evens out in the end.

I wonder why the GB LTDs and the GBC LTDs are put together? The old GameBoy isn't upwards compatible to the GBC games and while the added color screen really is no huge step forward, it's still a different system.
Not that it really matters...

rakka said:
but unfortunately are still buying mario party too

and this is a problem why? I don't understand why hardcore gamers have this elitist attitude where by they get upset when anything they don't like sells well. The fact that both SMG and mario party are selling is good for the industry.

Metalmurphy said:
So if the first page is any indication the rest of the thread is filled people are calling GT5 Prologue bomba and that nothing can save the PS3 now.

Am I right?

No your wrong, and it's pretty obvious why you would jump to that conclusion.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
AFAIK GB+GBC is higher than DS, but nothing else. I don't actually know how many units the NES shipped and data that old is a little unreliable, but I'm pretty sure whatever the number, the DS has now passed that.

GB and GBC are different systems. You can't play GBC games on GB, so they shouldn't be counted as one.

So by that logic, does that make DS the top selling system in Japan ever?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AdventureRacing said:
and this is a problem why? I don't understand why hardcore gamers have this elitist attitude where by they get upset when anything they don't like sells well. The fact that both SMG and mario party are selling is good for the industry.

I'm not sure if rakka is anti-all-casual-games or just anti-Mario-Party. For me, I'm very disappointed that Mario Party 8 has been selling well, because it's easily the worst installment in the entire series and no company should be rewarded for that sort of thing. MP DS is pretty damn fun though, even without Wi-Fi play, and I'm all for that.

omg rite said:
GB and GBC are different systems. You can't play GBC games on GB, so they shouldn't be counted as one.

So by that logic, does that make DS the top selling system in Japan ever?

I don't know the breakdown of GB versus GBC in the 31 million number that's kicked around for the two together. It's possible it's not, and it's possible it is. I think it's safe to say that six months from now, it is guaranteed that the DS will be the top selling system in Japan ever.

31./40. [NDS] Won!tertainment: Music Channel (Capcom)
32./23. [NDS] Tales of Innocence (Bandai-Namco)
33./39. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
34./00. [PS3] Time Crisis 4 (Bandai-Namco)
35./41. [NDS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters World Championship 2008 (Konami)
36./34. [NDS] MySims (EA)
37./49. [NDS] Yes! Precure 5 (Bandai-Namco)
38./29. [NDS] Nep League DS (Jaleco)
39./42. [WII] Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Capcom)
40./32. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
41./00. [NDS] Survival Kids 3 (Konami)
42./37. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo)
43./36. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
44./00. [NDS] Mamegoma: Heartwarming Diary (TDK Core)
45./25. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)
46./00. [PSP] Patapon (Sony)
47./00. [NDS] Tea-Dog's Big Adventure (MTO)
48./30. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
49./00. [WII] Powerful Pro Baseball 14, Definitive Edition (Konami)
50./00. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)

NDS - 32
WII - 9
PS2 - 4
PS3 - 3
PSP - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   279,563 |   222,144 | 6,948,478 | 20,954,157
2. WII   -   232,907 |   170,558 | 3,544,308 |  4,463,951
3. PSP   -   171,804 |   184,610 | 2,908,095 |  7,440,224
4. PS3   -    58,167 |    63,720 | 1,131,412 |  1,588,970
5. PS2   -    20,391 |    18,025 |   746,609 | 20,901,468
6. 360   -     7,908 |     8,561 |   234,335 |    499,037
7. GBA   -       100 |       140 |    50,634 | 15,348,713
8. NGC   -        31 |        32 |    10,526 |  4,179,994
GBA = 4 GBA + 54 SP + 42 Micro
NDS = 12 DS + 279,551 Lite

itxaka

Defeatist
CrisKre said:
At this rate, and seeing how DQIX hasnt been released yet, it may just hit that number in 2 years. *mind blows*

So anybody with data and knowledge that have the average of per-week DS hardware could moreless predict the expected YTD for next year? I don´t mean the exactly, but the goes up/goes down predicted when you know how other hardware has done?

Probably I´m asking too much but I found the DS mindblowing and I´m empty on what could it do next year.

test_account

XP-39C²
schuelma said:
No, it fluctuates back and forth. A few weeks ago MC had Wii higher and PS3 lower and Sony fans were questioning MC's reliability. It evens out in the end.

Hasnt it been like this with most/all systems? If some under tracked fans asks whats going on :p

MPDS really shows how popular Nintendo games can become when on the DS.

Really, HAL has to make an SSBDS. It's not even like Sakurai would have to direct it (although he'd obviously have to supervise and develop parts of it). Take the original SSB engine, all 12 originals, add some from Melee and Brawl, new levels, returning/new items, Assist Trophies, Final Smashes, and some handheld-oriented characters.

Kuramu

omg rite said:

I was going to say....
So anyone know what GB sold on it's own?

Top Bottom