• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

itxaka

Defeatist
BrodiemanTTR said:
Or maybe I'm just talkin' crazy.

They won´t be happy. They went for 100% market to 60% but well, they have sell a lot with cheap technology, sell a lot of games and their brand has upped and it´s more strong now than last generation so I don´t think they will be satisfied nor really worried.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
PantherLotus said:
pretend my charts are in this post.

2. Let us also say holy shit that sucks at the lack of announced REAL 3rd party content for the Wii. It's getting a lot of spin-offs, party games, and random original nintendo-inspired original IPs, but rarely any front line hardcore gaming announcements. Fighting games (non DBZ or Nintendo), Racing games (non kart), RPGs/sRPGs/aRPGs (non spinoff), and extreme sports (Skating/Snowboarding) are few and far between and those that do fit the criteria aren't cutting it. Nintendo consoles' stigma of being a 1st party machine has not been changed. One might point to the emergence of 3rd party success on the DS as a blueprint for how it may change. Hopefully it does. I expect the Wii to average around 55-65k per week this year.

My mom and father in law were at my house today to get my kids to spend the night. Rewind a few days ago at the Christmas dinner, an uncle of mine was telling him about the Wii and how he can't find it. Up until Xmas, I would say my father in law was vaguely familiar with it. Back to today, I just happened to bring up that conversation to him and he said he'd look at it for a minute. 5 minutes of bowling and 10 minutes of wii golf sold him. Then I told him Tiger Woods is on the console as he is an avid golfer. He is going to buy a wii and just get tiger woods every year. The game might be different for other people, but it is generally the same thing. It is the console of the causals. You don't really know how to sell to causals because they can be so 'fly by night' Who knew Carnival Games would be selling so well? Sure, just take the Chucky Cheese experiences, sans pizza and tokens, and put it on a console. When you look at it, it might seem like a no-brainer, but it really isn't. Casual gamer taste is modular is that it is in constant flux.

The_Joint

Link said:
He already said there's no real way to determine the numbers, but his point is valid. A household is much more likely to have multiple units of a handheld over multiple units of a console. Doesn't really take a scientific study to realize that.

Not to disagree with the common sense logic, but, for many years at many times I only had a handheld and no console. I've known many adults, usually women, who only had a portable console and nothing else. That's just to illustrate the counterpoint that I've never seen brought up.

Common sense (or whatever the logic is) says that a household is more likely to have multiple units of a handheld over multiple units of a console but I would be really interested in seeing a study done that quantifies that.

PantherLotus said:
3. Ok, the PS3 and 360 are done in Japan. We'll see a huge boost to the PS3 if MGS4/FFXIII/etc ever come out, but until then, Sony will have to hope that HD ever takes root in Japan. I don't suspect that it will. I expect/project the PS3 to average about 28-38k per week this year.
You seem to start this part negative, but 28-38K per week wouldn't be too bad. Even devoid of any holiday bumps, that'd be a good 1.7 million for the year; much more the performance of an earlier PSP than a GCN or PS3 as we've seen it this year. It'd also be maintaining more than half of its current bumped numbers every week.
PantherLotus said:
1. What's the deal with the "as of the week of" column? Shouldn't they all be the same, or is that when they dropped out of trackable range?
The latter. Usually this means the last week it was in the Top 30 or the week of a Top 100/500, but there's the occasional extra source.
AdmiralViscen said:
Isn't this pretty much how every gen goes in Japan?
Yeah. PS2 and GCN were so far not all that different from what Wii and PS3 have done, except that PS2 had over a year head-start and thus had an even bigger lead from the get-go. (Sorry for not mattering at all in this, Dreamcast.)
PantherLotus said:
Yes but that does not allow for hyperbole.
Acceptable reasoning.

Link

The Autumn Wind
PantherLotus said:
4. Software - Nintendo sells. DS kills. PSP pirates. Wii 1st party amazes, 3rd parties shit in our cereal bowls. PS2 is done. PS3 has a couple bright spots but phails. 360 is deader than dead.
We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning.

I'm still wondering why SCEI haven't announced anything big for the PSP. Ok there was Patapon and MnG2P, but you know what happened to those :(.

AniHawk

WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY?

Link said:
We didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning.
:lol :lol :lol

I was thinking of this before I even read your response.

Chocobo and Nights :( not even in the Top 50 - bomba.

MySims is holding steady. EA really scored a hit with that one, at least on DS. Never thought it would be such a solid performer in Japan. I know they designed it so that it would appeal more to the japanese market but I didn't think they'd succeed in that.

Good to see RE:UC. TC bombing, I don't think we'll see an awful lot of Guncon games. Musou 5 already gone the way of the dodo.

Mr. Pointy said:
I'm still wondering why SCEI haven't announced anything big for the PSP. Ok there was Patapon and MnG2P, but you know what happened to those :(.
I hope they are working hard on PS3 software. If you buy a PSP I think you're well aware that it doesn't see as many releases as the DS. PSP doesn't really need a boost right now. At least I don't think that a big title for PSP would drive other software sales - and that's the big problem for PSP right now. The release list looks so barren because hardly anything sells great and there's money to be had on DS.

BrodiemanTTR said:
Look, I know the DS is the DS, and it seems dumb to say this the week it passes the juggernaut PS2 LTD. But does anyone think some collars might be getting a bit tight at NoJ over the resurgence and subsequent steadying of PSP sales to a high level that borders on nipping at the heels of the DS? Sure we :lol and post GIFs, but is it possible that Iwata is not bathing in a pool of gold coins, but rather sitting at the top of his fortress of bone, pounding his desk and shouting, "Damn! I thought we took care of this thing two years ago!" I can't imagine him being satisfied with Sony occupying one bit of the handheld sector, let alone grabbing nearly 40% of weekly sales.

Mario Party DS is killing, and I know the focus right now is on establishing the Wii, but overall it feels like Nintendo has eased up -- maybe too much for their own good. One thing is for sure, the era of mass shortages and ravenous demand is over. I'm surprised we haven't heard about NSMB 2, BT 3, and a slew of new colors in an attempt to squash this uprising. Maybe there is a redesign coming, maybe they believe DQIX will be a gamebreaker.

Nintendo concentrated more on Wii than on DS and it showed. I don't think they are too worried about PSP's success. The hardware is selling but the software is not and that's the biggest factor for revenues. Besides Nintendo wasn't forced to drop the price on the hardware yet because that still sells phenomenally. There's no way they can't be happy about the current situation, they make a lot of money on both hard- and software.

DQIX will be massive and a price drop will be massive as well.

donny2112 said:
Just a question, but does anyone actually read/find interest in the posted Famitsu Top 30s? Does the fact that the news in it is eight days old mean no one really cares one way or the other?

It's not difficult to keep posting it, so I plan on continuing to post it. I am just curious how useful (if at all) anyone finds it.
I find interest in them, it's good to see numbers for positions beyond No. 10. Since they're "old" it's no use discussing them but I think a lot of people find them useful.

mr tibbs

If we take some figures and compare them side by side.

Wii = 232,907 PS3 = 58,167 difference = 174,740
DS = 279,563 PSP = 171,804 difference = 107,759

232,907 makes it the 3rd highest weekly sales numbers ever for the Wii.
58,167 makes it the 6th highest weekly sales numbers ever for the PS3.
174,740 makes the difference the 3rd best ever for the Wii.

279,563 makes it the 7th highest weekly sales for the Lite DS combo
171,804 makes it the 3rd highest weekly sales for the PSP, whilst,
107,759 makes the difference the 49th best for the DS.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wow, those Wii sales are almost stupidly high, amazing stuff, DS has finally past PS2, with one week to spare in 2007, and it hasn't even came close to stopping yet, could it pass 30million sold? should do.

As for software, Wii Fit? monster, SMG gaining legs, and Layton still doing well, and as usual, DS domination of nearly all of the top 50, evil Ninty.

legend166

BrodiemanTTR said:
Look, I know the DS is the DS, and it seems dumb to say this the week it passes the juggernaut PS2 LTD. But does anyone think some collars might be getting a bit tight at NoJ over the resurgence and subsequent steadying of PSP sales to a high level that borders on nipping at the heels of the DS? Sure we :lol and post GIFs, but is it possible that Iwata is not bathing in a pool of gold coins, but rather sitting at the top of his fortress of bone, pounding his desk and shouting, "Damn! I thought we took care of this thing two years ago!" I can't imagine him being satisfied with Sony occupying one bit of the handheld sector, let alone grabbing nearly 40% of weekly sales.

Mario Party DS is killing, and I know the focus right now is on establishing the Wii, but overall it feels like Nintendo has eased up -- maybe too much for their own good. One thing is for sure, the era of mass shortages and ravenous demand is over. I'm surprised we haven't heard about NSMB 2, BT 3, and a slew of new colors in an attempt to squash this uprising. Maybe there is a redesign coming, maybe they believe DQIX will be a gamebreaker.

I think this:

NDS - 32
PSP - 2

Means that Iwata doesn't care. The PSP, software wise, is just not competition for the DS. Why ethelred keeps pushing it as a healthy, viable software platform, I don't know.

AniHawk

legend166 said:
I think this:

NDS - 32
PSP - 2

Means that Iwata doesn't care. The PSP, software wise, is just not competition for the DS. Why ethelred keeps pushing it as a healthy, viable software platform, I don't know.

Because every now and again, a company that spent millions of dollars and a few years of development on a single game will have it sell over 500k in Japan.

Rock_Man

donny2112 said:
Just a question, but does anyone actually read/find interest in the posted Famitsu Top 30s? Does the fact that the news in it is eight days old mean no one really cares one way or the other?

It's not difficult to keep posting it, so I plan on continuing to post it. I am just curious how useful (if at all) anyone finds it.

Your weekly top 30 post is one of the most interesting in the whole thread, especially since you now include numbers for games outside of the top 30. Some of the numbers haven't even been posted before, am I right? Like Smash Court Tennis 3. Thanks!

Neo C.

Stumpokapow said:
If you count third party stuff or potential new IP, I think the 2008 could be very rich software-wise. We know that Nintendo withdrew a tad from 2006 to 2007 to allow third parties to fill out the DS library. Whether they will continue to tone down releases in 2008 or pump it back up, who knows.
I don't see Nintendo pumping it back up, why should they? Wii should be top priority at the moment, there's still a lack of software in contrast to the DS which is a healthy handheld with big 3rd party support.
I don't think this is a bad sign too, maybe Nintendo won't bring many (or any?) systemsellers for the DS, but that just means there's more room for smaller games like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars.

apujanata

legend166 said:
I think this:

NDS - 32
PSP - 2

Are you sure Ethelred ever said that "PSP is a healthy, viable software platform (in Japan)" ? I don't remember him ever said that. He sometimes attack DS / Wii S/W sales who many thought as good, or defend PSP S/W sales that many thought as bad (like Monster Hunter Portable), but I don't think he ever generalize things like "PSP is a healthy, viable software platform".

Just my two cents. (or twenty yen)

Stop It

legend166 said:
I think this:

NDS - 32
PSP - 2

Because, amazingly enough, there are PSP owners out there, millions of them in fact, it's just the small fact that they are very hard to pursuade to actually buy games instead of pirate them, a first step would Sony making a firmware that isn't leaky as a drum and making new releases only support these new firmwares, but somehow I think we may have already passed that stage, ho hum. :(

legend166

Stop It said:
Because, amazingly enough, there are PSP owners out there, millions of them in fact, it's just the small fact that they are very hard to pursuade to actually buy games instead of pirate them, a first step would Sony making a firmware that isn't leaky as a drum and making new releases only support these new firmwares, but somehow I think we may have already passed that stage, ho hum. :(

I agree with you. Although, I think the problem is half-piracy and half the fact that a lot of the consumers are probably buying the system with no intention to play any games, legit or pirated.

BrodiemanTTR said:

I don't see why nintendo would care when it doesn't seem to affect the DS. The problem with your thinking is your looking at a percentage. Yes nintendo went from 100% to 60% but the hard numbers have went up. What i mean is that 60% this gen is going to be more than the 100% they used to have.

Also when you sell 300,000+ hardware in a week, and have 32/50 for software i don't think you'll be sweating about it.

apujanata said:
Are you sure Ethelred ever said that "PSP is a healthy, viable software platform (in Japan)" ? I don't remember him ever said that. He sometimes attack DS / Wii S/W sales who many thought as good, or defend PSP S/W sales that many thought as bad (like Monster Hunter Portable), but I don't think he ever generalize things like "PSP is a healthy, viable software platform".

Just my two cents. (or twenty yen)

Im pretty sure all ethelred said was that under the right circumstances a game can sell well on the PSP. I also don't remember him calling it a viable software platform.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Stop It said:

I don't understand the piracy argument regarding PSP software. Isn't it easier to pirate DS games than PSP games? I consider myself relatively tech-savvy and while I know how to pirate DS games, I don't even have a clue where to begin with the PSP. Why would one handheld console invite so much more piracy than another, arguably better (in terms of available software and ease of piracy), handheld console?

And the DS doesn't even have firmware updates (that I'm aware of) to counter-act rampant piracy.

Stop It

B!TCH said:
I don't understand the piracy argument regarding PSP software. Isn't it easier to pirate DS games than PSP games? I consider myself relatively tech-savvy and while I know how to pirate DS games, I don't even have a clue where to begin with the PSP. Why would one handheld console invite so much more piracy than another, arguably better (in terms of available software and ease of piracy), handheld console?

And the DS doesn't even have firmware updates (that I'm aware of) to counter-act rampant piracy.

I honestly don't know either, but frankly, the PSP has sold shedloads of units over the last 3 months and yet hasn't had more than 5 titles in the top 30 in a week, and usually hasn't got close, if they aren't pirating they just aren't playing games, which, either way, isn't helping Sonys cause here.

As for the method of piracy, a quick google shows it just needs a PC, a cable, and some special software which changes a battery to change the FW and thus allow for dodgy games to be played, so it's cheap, relatively simple and the rewards are huge, I guess that may be why piracy for it is more rampant than the DS, also, the target demographic of the DS are more "casual" and less likely to know/want to put the effort ino opirating games, probably.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
B!TCH said:

You need a special card to pirate for the DS, it's rare to be able to buy them out of the internet;

You only need a common Memory Stick for the PSP that you can buy at convinence stores, supermarkets, pharmacies, etc.

D.Lo

itxaka about Nintendo's attitude to PSP still selling decently said:
They won´t be happy. They went for 100% market to 60% but well, they have sell a lot with cheap technology, sell a lot of games and their brand has upped and it´s more strong now than last generation so I don´t think they will be satisfied nor really worried.
Um, the PSP does not have 40% marketshare. In total hardware sales the DS has 73% and the PSP 27%.

Based on software sales, which are currently around 80 million DS to 15 million PSP, the DS is 84% of the market and growing and the PSP 16% and slipping.

I don't think there's anything Iwata can do about PSP hardware sales short of making DS media/flash carts an official product, piracy and all. He can be happy that the PSP is the absolute best competitor he could possible dream of, one that does not sell software.

To Sony, at this point the PSP sales must be like Walkman sales, one off hardware profit and no more revenue from there on.

test_account

XP-39C²
justchris said:
Not to invalidate you point, because it is a good point, but for the original Gameboy, my brother and I had to share. There were the same number of GBs in our household as there were NESes. It is possible to share a handheld, so it'd be a very difficult comparison/calculation to make as to how many people have access.

Hell, I lend out my DS Phat fairly regularly to friends who are deciding if they want to purchase one or not. 6 times out of 7 it's ended up in the purchase of a DS Lite, but that's one extra person who has/had access to a DS who doesn't own one. On that note, people borrow (and rent) consoles on a regular basis. I don't think there's any possible way to make this calculation at all.

There are exceptions of course, i had to borrowed my sister's GB myself back in the days :) I remember i wanted one, but i never got one then (now i do though). But as Link already mentioned, i already said that this comparision isnt 100% correct, since as you say, its hard to calculate what the real numbers are, but i'd say its a pretty safe bet to say that there are more handhelds pr. household than there are consoles pr. household in general (of current/last gen that is. Some households might have like 7-8 consoles from 1980 to 2005, but only 1-2 handhelds).

The_Joint said:
Not to disagree with the common sense logic, but, for many years at many times I only had a handheld and no console. I've known many adults, usually women, who only had a portable console and nothing else. That's just to illustrate the counterpoint that I've never seen brought up.

Common sense (or whatever the logic is) says that a household is more likely to have multiple units of a handheld over multiple units of a console but I would be really interested in seeing a study done that quantifies that.

There are indeed people who only own a handheld system. My parents for example only owns a DS (there are a NES console avalible for use there though (which i doubt they use more than 1-2 time a year), but its mine, i havnt moved them to my apparment yet (i already have a NES here though so no problem hehe) but if a household has 1 handheld system and no console at all, the household will still have more handhelds than consoles ;) But as said above, its hard to calculate how it really is, but i'd say a pretty safe bet to say that there are more handhelds pr. household than there are consoles pr. household :)

I think people are blaming piracy way too much for the PSP's lackluster software performance. Take a look at the music industry, sure the numbers have gone down but the big percentage of music comes from CD's still. All you need for music piracy is the Internet,
for PSP software piracy you need to even know the existence of it in the first place and knowledge on how to change firmware unofficially. When you get people asking recommendations on getting either the iPod or the PSP, you know music/video is the centre attraction of the system. PSP software is similar to Wii third party software, people are unaware or are just not interested because there is better alternatives.

Rolf NB

JoshuaJSlone said:
You seem to start this part negative, but 28-38K per week wouldn't be too bad. Even devoid of any holiday bumps, that'd be a good 1.7 million for the year; much more the performance of an earlier PSP than a GCN or PS3 as we've seen it this year. It'd also be maintaining more than half of its current bumped numbers every week.

The latter. Usually this means the last week it was in the Top 30 or the week of a Top 100/500, but there's the occasional extra source.

Yeah. PS2 and GCN were so far not all that different from what Wii and PS3 have done, except that PS2 had over a year head-start and thus had an even bigger lead from the get-go. (Sorry for not mattering at all in this, Dreamcast.)

Acceptable reasoning.
Uh, isn't that contradictory, kind of?
Did the Gamecube ever scratch 25% market share? Counting LTDs and current-gen home consoles only, the PS3 is a hair above 24% now. I find it hard to believe that the Gamecube ever managed to do that, but I don't have the data.

It's true that the share is shifting in favor of the Wii just now (PS3 share approaches 19.5% if this week's trends continue forever), but it's easy to find explanations for these current motions, such as:
*the festive season probably pulls the market towards family entertainment
*Wii Fit spike > GT5 Prologue spike

goompapa

My view on why the PSP software sales suck is because the PSP is still stuck in the handheld ghetto, where people see handhelds as a cool gadget not so much as a viable gaming machine.
Actually not unlike the gameboy days and the early GBA days, when software softwares also suck hard.
But whereas on the GB and GBA there are still the Pokemons and the big Nin-mascots games to make sales overall somewhat respectable, the PSP has Monster Hunter a few rare FF and not much else.

The DS on the other hand has long left the handheld ghetto.

Aeris130

BishopLamont said:
I think people are blaming piracy way too much for the PSP's lackluster software performance. Take a look at the music industry, sure the numbers have gone down but the big percentage of music comes from CD's still. All you need for music piracy is the Internet,
for PSP software piracy you need to even know the existence of it in the first place and knowledge on how to change firmware unofficially. When you get people asking recommendations on getting either the iPod or the PSP, you know music/video is the centre attraction of the system. PSP software is similar to Wii third party software, people are unaware or are just not interested because there is better alternatives.

Music has a way (way) bigger installbase then the PSP that doesn't need to purchase company-specific apps to listen to it, as well as extensive marketing through radio, mtv etc. Buyers also include the mainstream non-techie bu-bu-but-if-I-open-Napster-teh-police-will-sue-me-for-a-billjon-dollarz people.

Piracy on the PSP isn't the major, major issue. The fact that the PSP is a relatively competent portable media player, in spite of the fiddliness of putting stuff on there, and the fact that it is being bought by most people just for those features, with gaming being peripheral, is what's hurting SW sales.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I took my code for listing a single platform's sales and modified it to combine X360/PS3/Wii while ignoring publishers with names like "Microsoft" and "Pokémon". Tada, an overview of third party console performance. Having made that it seemed silly not to change a few characters to make a portable version, so I did. I notice Monster Hunter Freedom 2 is currently the best-selling portable third party game of the generation, though DQM Joker might really still be in the lead if it's sold a few dozen thousand more beneath the charts.

Here's the portable third-party situation two years ago. Slightly worse numbers than the present-day console numbers, though obviously with lower production budgets.

Nice work! :D

Looking at the console list, I think it looks decent, if the three consoles were actually just one console. As that list is spread across three consoles, though, ...

Rock_Man said:
Your weekly top 30 post is one of the most interesting in the whole thread, especially since you now include numbers for games outside of the top 30. Some of the numbers haven't even been posted before, am I right? Like Smash Court Tennis 3. Thanks!

It was posted at 2ch with the other numbers that were posted here, but as Kurosaki Ichigo pointed out recently, some games tend to not make the jump from there to here for some reason.

I'm glad to know that the lack of comment on the numbers does not indicate a lack of interest. Thanks to all who responded! :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Donny2112 (i think) posted a list a few months ago with upcomming releasedates for like 3 months. Is there an updated list like this for the next months to come?

Also, i saw a yearly (or something) Wii software list from Media Create with updated numbers. Is there a list like this for PS3 and 360 as well?

First day sales

PS2 Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Gaiden - 150k (135k regular, 15k LE)
PSP Star Ocean: The First Departure - 80k (75k regular (200k shipment), 5k LE (10k shipment))
PSP Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku - 62k (17k regular, 45k LE)
PS3 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 14k (20k shipment, 70% sell through)
360 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 14k (20k shipment, 70% sell through)
360 Gundam Musou International - 3k
WII Nodame Cantabile: Dream * Orchestra - 1k
WII Metal Slug Complete - <1k
WII Anime Slot Revolution: Pachi-Slot Kidou Senshi Gundam II - Ai Senshi Hen - <1k

D.Lo

Mr. Pointy said:
Piracy on the PSP isn't the major, major issue. The fact that the PSP is a relatively competent portable media player, in spite of the fiddliness of putting stuff on there, and the fact that it is being bought by most people just for those features, with gaming being peripheral, is what's hurting SW sales.
Well in that case it's not so much 'hurting' software sales as inflating hardware sales.

As I said above the PSP is 27% of the handheld market in hardware LTD but 16% and slipping in software LTD. To have the same tie-ratio as the DS, the PSP would have to have sold 3.03 million less consoles, or 4.4 million total, less then the Wii has LTD.

So I suppose that's a fair way of looking at it - in terms of market share, we could consider 3 million PSPs to have sold as media/piracy (whatever you think it is) devices and 4.4 million as game players akin to the DS. 16% of the handheld market.

NeonZ

Is this just Anthology?

PS2 Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Gaiden - 150k (135k regular, 15k LE)

Hm... Below even the usual starting numbers of secondary SRWs (in main systems, that is). I hope this means the next one will go back to franchise crossovers, rather than OG games...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
WII Nodame Cantabile: Dream * Orchestra - 1k
WII Anime Slot Revolution: Pachi-Slot Kidou Senshi Gundam II - Ai Senshi Hen - <1k

:lol

The reality of the PSP situation is that the PSP as a game system is not what's selling all these units. It's the media capabilities that are pushing the system. Piracy has never buoyed a platform to hardware success on its own and the PSP is no different. PSP sales are indicative of a media hub that happens to play games, not a games machine that happens to be a convergence device.

I think the bigger question would be why a developer would look to the PSP as a solid platform for a major title over the Wii long term.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
duckroll said:
Anime licensed game, SNK Playmore game, Pachislot game. Come on.

The DS version of the Nodame game sold pretty well... Not that that does much for the Wii. Still, 1k? That's pretty sad.

duckroll said:
SO1 PSP is going to outsell ToI. :lol
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I find it funny that we'll probably get 2 PSP games in the top 10 next week. All this talk of bad PSP software sales, then SO 1st and Haruhi happen.

AniHawk

Mr. Pointy said:
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I find it funny that we'll probably get 2 PSP games in the top 10 next week. All this talk of bad PSP software sales, then SO 1st and Haruhi happen.

And that will have made all the difference.

nli10

PSP is selling to three groups of people:

Tech Savy - these people use the machine for media & movies or pirated and buy minimal software - currently seem to be the largest group (60%?)

Flat-Earthers - they play their one favourite type of game and buy that one near release - probably a good few of these (30%?)

Gamers - they buy a range of games (more than they pirate) and are willing to buy unknown titles - probably less of these (10%?)

PSP is doing well, it can stay afloat with the user split like this (Wii would be 75% families by my guess), especially if hardware is sold at a profit. UMD sales are really inconsequential I feel.

swerve

Jonnyram said:
Damn, forgot CoD4 came out this week... anyone know if the JP version has full English options?

I picked it up today. Breaks down thusly:

All game VO is in English (making the game entirely playable)
Subtitles only in Japanese
Objectives only in Japanese (probably the biggest issue, but there's always a yellow dot telling you where to go next, so it doesn't really matter)
Options only in Japanese

So, basically, all text is Japanese only, but the majority of the game seems driven by the VO script. Which is surprisingly good, actually.

duckroll

Laguna said:
Yeah PSP software sales are excellent!... It´s nice to see people fooling themself :lol

I don't see anyone saying PSP software sales are excellent. I wasn't aware that sales can only be "really bad" or "excellent". :p

Top Bottom