• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 22 - 28 May (kay, real this time)

HomShaBom

Banned
Eddz said:
Nintendo are pretty lucky, as right now there aren't many people who the DS doesn't appeal to.

What happens when everyone in Japan owns one? :lol

They release DSLite SP with 4D capabilities.

mindcontrol2.png

Brain Training 3: Mind Control.

(yes, i know thats the device which measures blood flow and blah blah blah)

lancubap said:
Incredible. This week the % of Handheld market that Nintendo has is like when it dominate with the GameBoy. Sony must absolutely do something with his PSP, otherwise Nintendo risk to dominate the portable market forever.
I can't imagine a concurrent bigger then Sony for Nintendo in Japan. If they fails in the long term to resist to the Nintendo DS....I don't know what Sony could do.

PSP is selling very well in the US and Europe, so Sony really doesn't have to worry about Japan all that much

Terrell

Viewtiful Darkness said:
PSP is selling very well in the US and Europe, so Sony really doesn't have to worry about Japan all that much
You realise that little to no Western developers make handheld games, right? I understand that it's a global marketplace now, but Japanese developers are going to see a problem putting games on a platform that sells equal to DS in the U.S. and is completely humiliated in comparison to the DS in their own country.

ioi

Banned
imastalker co. said:
can we get charts for DS vs. Everything Else Combined (World Wide) ?

it's time to get to the bottom of this.

How do you mean? Over what time frames?

Or are we trolling again or something.

thefro

Animal Crossing is starting to pass the Dragon Quest games in all-time Japanese sales (they'll pass DQ 5 within a couple weeks and DQ 1 & 2 are already in the dust) :lol

lancubap

Viewtiful Darkness said:

If you have read, I have said in Japan !!!
And of course you have the numbers in Europe to say that, right ?

Aurora

imastalker co. said:
Лицо, приславшее работу, должно быть её автором, либо должно получить от автора согласие на публикацию этой работы
С тех пор, когда Вы можете говорить на русском языке?

Terrell said:
You realise that little to no Western developers make handheld games, right? I understand that it's a global marketplace now, but Japanese developers are going to see a problem putting games on a platform that sells equal to DS in the U.S. and is completely humiliated in comparison to the DS in their own country.

A lot of Japanese developers, Namco and Capcom for example, are giving PSP much more support than DS. So the hardware sales don't really seem to be affecting developer support for the PSP.

Razoric

Banned
Viewtiful Darkness said:
A lot of Japanese developers, Namco and Capcom for example, are giving PSP much more support than DS. So the hardware sales don't really seem to be affecting developer support for the PSP.

as the games continue to bomb how long do you think that support will last?

jarrod

Banned
Viewtiful Darkness said:
Relative to DS maybe, but both DS and PSP are doing rather pitifully in the US compared to GBA (which is still outselling both). Looking at all markets, I think you could easily claim DS is selling very well in Europe and exceptionally in Japan, PSP is selling very in Europe while everywhere else is a bit dissapointing.

Burnst

Earthstrike said:
Anyway want to start making predictions on Christmas DS sales.
I say 1 milion per week for all of december (average)
1 million in a week? Did this ever even happen before?

Could only be possible if Nintendo can keep it up and Wii and PS3 will have little impact.

neptunes

1 million a week in december? hhmmm
I don't think they could produce that many units (for that timeframe) to supply such a demand.
especially with the wii comming this fall.

ioi

Banned
I think 1m in a week is pushing things a little.

I think a few weeks of 500-600k again are very likely though...

verplant said:
Yes... but non-german don't understand the name.

Was hab ich jetzt eigentlich verpasst?!? :)

PhoenixDark ist nen Nintendo Fan, er meint das was er schreibt also nicht so (so ne Art Monorojo-Parodie) ;)

Viewtiful Darkness said:

Why shouldn't Sony be worried about a market that - in that segment - is as strong as it has probably never been and for the last ~3 months is responsible for sth. like 50-70% of the sales worldwide?

Yeah actually PSP sales in North America seem to be losing momenteum ... the launch honeymoon/"newness" of the system has really worn off.

The DS/PSP kinda sell on par in North America with each taking turns selling slightly more for a couple of months ... with the DS Lite coming out the DS will probably overtake the PSP in North America for the next few months.

The thing about the PSP that's concerning in North America is things like the massive drop-off in UMD movie sales and the fact that the PSP got almost no boost from the $199.99 price cut.

PSP seems to have a lot more support from stores though, which is going a long way. In the UK the DS barely had a presense until lately.

Leonsito

TheGreatDave said:
PSP seems to have a lot more support from stores though, which is going a long way. In the UK the DS barely had a presense until lately.

Same in Spain, but I think is due to the store necessities of cleaning stock.

lancubap

Frankfurter said:
PhoenixDark ist nen Nintendo Fan, er meint das was er schreibt also nicht so (so ne Art Monorojo-Parodie) ;)
Ich glaube dass, schon klar war. Aber das war sehr lustig. :lol
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it will be interesting to see if New Super Mario Bros. will really become the best selling game on Nintendo DS in Japan.

Last week I interviewed some people of Sony Spain (for our magazine). PSP sales have skyrocketed in Europe since new packs came. Moreover software sales are selling very well in Spain and in the rest of Europe. They told us that 45% of software sales (handheld -psp, nds and gba-) are for PSP in Europe in 2006.
Of course animal crossing and metroid prime are selling extremelly extremelly well, but unfortunately much of the rest of nds catalogue is pretty much bombing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Are there 2 million games selling 50 copies each per country :ugly:? I think it's quiete hard to overcome two games in the top ten by games below the top 15 or top 50. If the new packages were pushing the psp that much I'd assume, at least some of the games would get a decent bump and could return into the charts. In my point of view this is quiete questionable.

Robinspain said:
Last week I interviewed some people of Sony Spain (for our magazine). PSP sales have skyrocketed in Europe since new packs came. Moreover software sales are selling very well in Spain and in the rest of Europe. They told us that 45% of software sales (handheld -psp, nds and gba-) are for PSP in Europe in 2006.
Of course animal crossing and metroid prime are selling extremelly extremelly well, but unfortunately much of the rest of nds catalogue is pretty much bombing.

Don't forget that in sony-speake "sold=shipped"

imastalker co. said:
Лицо, приславшее работу, должно быть её автором, либо должно получить от автора согласие на публикацию этой работы
Aurora said:
С тех пор, когда Вы можете говорить на русском языке?
You speak Ruskie?
film14.jpg

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Eddz said:
Nintendo are pretty lucky, as right now there aren't many people who the DS doesn't appeal to.
I don't know if it's luck or the business plan that they have been preaching for months (and that constantly gets disregarded by most people).

Robinspain said:

This neither has anything to do with the topic, nor does it make any sense considering the software charts we have been getting for the last ~3 months pretty much everywhere showed more DS games in the top 10/top 20 than PSP games.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Robinspain said:

The media may buy it, but GAF has nothing but time on its hands to fully debunk that. :lol

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
If I recall from previous threads I have a slight inaccuracy in one of my Game Boy counts I haven't tracked down, but...

PS2: 653,415
GBASP: 146,380
GBM: 96,217
GC: 50,576
Xbox360: 50,143
GBA: 2,717
Xbox: 1,510

I have 10 less for GBASP, but the GBA and GBM totals match mine. I only keep weekly track of the handhelds.

fresquito

Robinspain said:
I´d go as far as saying that ACWW alone has sold more copies than all PSP titles combined since it was released (heck, maybe even for the whole year :lol ). It´s been in the top 5 of almost every euro country for the last two months.

Tadaima

Sorry I forgot to post the latter yesterday, for those who are interested in seeing Okami fall to it's fiery death.

31: NDS - Naruto 4 DS (Takara Tomy)
32: PSP - Monster Hunter Portable (Capcom)
33: PSP - Talkman Euro (SCE)
34: PS2 - Final Fantasy XII (Bundled Version) (Square-Enix)
35: NDS - Tamagotchi Connexion Corner Shop (Bandai)
36: NDS - Puzzle Series Vol. 3: Sudoku (Hudson)
37: PS2 - Okami (Capcom)
38: PSP - Kazuo (SCE)
39: GBA - Calchobit (Nintendo)
40: NDS - Daredemo Asobi Taizen (Nintendo)
41: GBA - Super Mario Bros. (Famicom Mini) (Nintendo)
42: NDS - Sugar Sugar Rune: Queen Shiken wa Dai Panic (Bandai-Namco)
43: PSP - Dragonball Z Portable (Bandai-Namco)
44: NDS - Tea Dog's Room DS (MTO)
45: NDS - DS Travel Series: America (USA) (Nintendo)
46: GBA - Mother I+II (Value Selection) (Nintendo)
47: PSP - Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable (Konami)
48: PS2 - .hack//Vol.1×Vol.2 (Bandai-Namco)
49: PS2 - Pro Baseball Spirits 3 (Konami)
50: NDS - Legend of Stafi 4 (TOSE)

New Entries

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
rod said:
whats with all the "used copies of NSMB" posts going around? i mustve missed the memo
I'm joking, just taking the hate from the official thread and then extending it a bit. :p

I believe it was Lindsay who said that Japanese people should've read the impressions from Americans before running out to get the game since (in her opinion) it's just a rental. If they all got home and thought the same then they would all trade it in (ala FFVII: DoC) and the next week's number would bomb. :p

ioi said:
Think it's a 'joke' by Fuzzy that is a tad old now :p
It's only old because you're a dirty Nbot. :D

So ioi, why didn't MC under report the sales of NSMB like you say they always do? Is it because you're wrong on all your other accounts of Nintendo games? There's obviously a huge warehouse in Japan that's filled with unsold Nintendo games that makes up the difference between MC's sold numbers and Nintendo's shipped numbers. :D

Top Bottom