• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 22 - 28 May (kay, real this time)

Mario 3 really did seem like a game that never stopped selling back in the day. i mean seriously.

who didn't own that game at one point or another?

ioi

Banned
imastalker co. said:
ioi

im dieing to see a chart showing how DS (worldwide) has done against everything else combined (worldwide) since 11/04.

:)

Right, I'm still not sure what you want- are you asking for hardware? Just a number vs another number or monthly or what?

ioi

Banned
imastalker co. said:
hardware please.

how about a good old fashioned pie chart?

take your pick man :)

Well gimme 5 mins and I'll knock something up. It's gonna be pretty rough since we don't have accurate worldwide figures tho.

lancubap

ioi said:
Latest data is up here.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japwk.php?week=1&publisher=Nintendo

New Super Mario Bros has the 5th largest first week ever for a Nintendo game, and I think a good target to track against for now is Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green which is just touching on 3m now.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Pokemon+Fire+Red+%2F+Leaf+Green

Animal Crossing breaks the 3m mark, and the two Brain Trainings are over 2.5m, closing in quickly:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38865

Tetris DS is still tracking just ahead of English Training, and although not likely to have the same kind of legs, should cross 1m with ease.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Tetris+DS&name2=English+Training

Mario Kart DS is still keeping pace with Mario Kart 64, 2m looks possible now:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Mario+Kart+DS&name2=Mario+Kart+64

And the 2006 chart is already up on 2005, despite only being halfway through the year, with Brain Training 2 likely to pass FF XII in two weeks time and Nintendo taking something like half of all software sold so far in 2006.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japyearly.php?year=2006

You're the master of the charts !

Nintendo taking something like half of all software sold so far in 2006.

:O:O:O:O:O

ioi

Banned
HARDWARE SOLD SINCE NOV 2004

since04.gif

As I said before, these are my best guesses to the figures from shipment data, NPD, Media Create and so forth for the last 18 months.

Total=85.5m

thanks a lot.

well, that chart sure does say a lot about were things stand right now.

didn't know GBA has been outselling PSP. seems like all in all, Nintendo has sold slightly more hardware than Sony since nov 04.

Tadaima

Haha, there must be millions of un-sold PSPs sitting out there. No wonder it's getting so much shelf space over here (England).. The stores need to get rid of it! :lol

ioi

Banned
Right, I've fiddled with them a bit and recalculated and stuff and I'm pretty happy with the data now. It should go from end of Nov 2004 to end of May 2006 (18 months).

Trurl

Banned
ioi said:

since04.gif

As I said before, these are my best guesses to the figures from shipment data, NPD, Media Create and so forth for the last 18 months.

Total=85.5m
Wow, I can't wait to see the DS replace the GBA in North America.

The PSP seems to be doing pretty well too, it's funny how at the beginning of the handheld war so many people thought that one of the handhelds would have to fail.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
imastalker co. said:
Mario 3 really did seem like a game that never stopped selling back in the day. i mean seriously.

who didn't own that game at one point or another?
I never owned SMB3 until the GBA, then again my friend owned it on the NES and I used to go to his house (or him come to mine) every day so I never needed to buy it.

Trurl said:
Wow, I can't wait to see the DS replace the GBA in North America.

The PSP seems to be doing pretty well too, it's funny how at the beginning of the handheld war so many people thought that one of the handhelds would have to fail.

Nintendo = Sold

Sony = Shipped

koam

ioi said:

since04.gif

Total=85.5m

I want this exact chart, but japan only.

ziran

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17466
...In fact, it's clear from looking at this mid-May chart, and other recent Japanese charts, that the market is seeing something of a recovery after a long-term slow decline - and it's a recovery being led almost entirely by Nintendo, whose multi-million selling DS titles are pumping new life into a business which was becoming accustomed to a procession of endless flash-in-the-pan hits that struggled to break the half-million mark...
nice to a mainstream site cover the success of the ds in japan.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ziran said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17466

nice to a mainstream site cover the success of the ds in japan.
But why didn't they include up to the 28th if that article was published today? Damn "mainstream".

EDIT:
The PSP, meanwhile, has clearly failed to capture the imagination of the Japanese market; a year and a half after it launched, the system is selling only marginally more than the venerable PS2, whose primary market now must surely lie in gamers replacing broken systems or buying second consoles for younger siblings.
:lol

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
The continued strong sales of Nintendo's DS and DS Lite handheld consoles in Japan have brought the system to the verge of having sold 2.5 million units in the country in the latest set of regional hardware figures, with over a week left in the first half of the year.

:lol :lol

Jiggy

The PSP, meanwhile, has clearly failed to capture the imagination of the Japanese market; a year and a half after it launched, the system is selling only marginally more than the venerable PS2, whose primary market now must surely lie in gamers replacing broken systems or buying second consoles for younger siblings.
Ah, finally someone puts into words what I've been thinking the whole time.

Fuzzy said:

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
ioi said:

since04.gif

Total=85.5m

Seems over for Microsoft! :lol

In the last 18 months,

Microsft: 10 million units
Nintendo: 39 million units
Sony: 36.5 million units

starship

ioi said:
Well my chart is sold through for both.
13.5m sold through for PSP?

I think it's less than 12.5m by now.

Japan ~ 3.5m
NA ~ 5m
Europe ~ 3.5m (at best)
Other ~ 0.5m
------------------
Total ~ 12.5m

As for DS I think its spot on.

Japan ~ 8.5m
NA ~ 5m
Europe ~ 4.5m - 5m
Other ~ 0.5m
-------------------
Total ~ 18.5m - 19m

Amir0x

Banned
Frankfurter said:
I don't know enough about Talkman, but Nintendogs, Brain Training and Animal Crossing are games.

Sure, man. Whatever floats your boat!

anyway, I'm just glad Japan is embracing a real game for once. A good one at that! Don't know I will forgive them for Mother 3 not selling 1,000,000 copies on day one, though. Or maybe I should blame Nintendo for not shipping that much?

ioi

Banned
kia said:
13.5m sold through for PSP?

I think it's less than 12.5m by now.

Japan ~ 3.5m
NA ~ 5m
Europe ~ 3.5m (at best)
Other ~ 0.5m
------------------
Total ~ 12.5m

As for DS I think its spot on.

Japan ~ 8.5m
NA ~ 5m
Europe ~ 4.5m - 5m
Other ~ 0.5m
-------------------
Total ~ 18.5m - 19m

Well I think you're a little harsh on PSP. It's likely over 4m now in Europe, and a little over 3.5m in Japan etc, 13.5m seems about right.

starship

ioi said:
Well I think you're a little harsh on PSP. It's likely over 4m now in Europe, and a little over 3.5m in Japan etc, 13.5m seems about right.
According to latest MC chart, PSP sales are at 3,482,325 in Japan.
And if we accepted Gaybrush and The Colonel figures, PSP sales were at 2.35m units in Europe by the end of 2005, so 1.7m in 5 months (usually slow time of the year) in Europe alone? I don't think so.

My latest information is that psp is over 4 m in Europe now. I don't have any number for the end of 05, but I think that the 2.35 m figure is not completely accurate. From what I know NDS has surpassed the 5 m mark recentily. It's slitgly over that numer now. However, we need official confirmation.

Robinspain said:
My latest information is that psp is over 4 m in Europe now. I don't have any number for the end of 05, but I think that the 2.35 m figure is not completely accurate. From what I know NDS has surpassed the 5 m mark recentily. It's slitgly over that numer now. However, we need official confirmation.

Where do you have that information from?

starship

Robinspain said:
I think those that came up with that 2.35m figure, are more reliable than your source for your information, and I don't think DS has surpassed 5m mark, there is no way that 1.5m units has been sold during first 5 months of the year in Europe.

ioi

Banned
kia said:
I think those that came up with that 2.35m figure, are more reliable than your source for your information, and I don't think DS has surpassed 5m mark, there is no way that 1.5m units has been sold during first 5 months of the year in Europe.

I think 4m in Europe is about right. 5m in the us and 3.5m in Japan

heidern

So you reckon both the psp and DS have been averaging around 300,000 a month between January and May in Europe this year when in the US it is less than 200,000 each on average? Sounds pretty optimistic to me to be honest.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wow didn't know that ioi would receive so much hate for his PSP numbers. :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oblivion said:
Didn't receive enough imo. ;)

Why does he deserve the hate? It seems like he's pretty accurate about all the other numbers? Is he a closet PSP fanboy? If so I never knew it.

Why aren't people mad about the other numbers?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
mckmas8808 said:
Why does he deserve the hate? It seems like he's pretty accurate about all the other numbers? Is he a closet PSP fanboy? If so I never knew it.

Why aren't people mad about the other numbers?

Dude, I was joking. :p

Top Bottom