• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 22 - 28 May (kay, real this time)

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
When does Opera's DS web browser come out? Will it be listed on Media Create?(because technically it could be considered an accessory rather than a game)

Darmstadtium said:
When does Opera's DS web browser come out? Will it be listed on Media Create?(because technically it could be considered an accessory rather than a game)

They include Brain Training software in the charts, so I don't see why they wouldn't include Opera

Viewtiful Darkness said:
They include Brain Training software in the charts, so I don't see why they wouldn't include Opera

Brain Training is a game (some don't wanna accept that, but it's a fact; try wikipedia for example), Opera isn't.

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
So ioi, why didn't MC under report the sales of NSMB like you say they always do? Is it because you're wrong on all your other accounts of Nintendo games? There's obviously a huge warehouse in Japan that's filled with unsold Nintendo games that makes up the difference between MC's sold numbers and Nintendo's shipped numbers. :D

Well there are a couple of obvious possibilities.

The first being that Nintendo's "900k NSMB sold" actually came from Media Create as their sell through stuff often does.

The second being that 900k is the shipped number (unlikely as we have heard 1.5m since then) and that on this occasion Media Create got it spot on.

Nobody actually knows or ever will know how much it actually sold. What did Dengeki have, 860k or something? It's unusual for MC to be higher for Nintendo stuff, and I'd expect Famitsu to come in at 850k or something like that.

I don't really know what the question was to be honest :p

cvxfreak

Fuzzy, according to my super secret Famitsu charts, used Nintendo game sales count toward new ones too! That's why Media Create tracked more GameCubes sold than shipped!

donny2112

I would think Talkman is more like those travel guides that came out for the DS.

Either way, the Opera browser is on a cartridge, so they'll probably track its sales like a normal game.

ioi,

I believe Fuzzy is trying to say that you previously stated that Media-Create undertracks Nintendo game sales, so the fact that they got it "right" this time invalidates all your previous assumptions about undertracking of Nintendo games by them. I usually consider Fuzzy a little more level-headed than that, though, so I very much think he was just joking and poking a little bit of fun at your assumptions. ;)

Besides, I think you've stated that the undertracking is more noticable in the long-term totals tracking companies give versus the overall shipped numbers given. The weekly numbers are too varied to look at individually, I'd think.

jarrod

Banned
The_lascar said:
Talkman is a game.
Not from what I understand, it's just a mascot driven tranlation utililty. Comparable DS "utility software" from Nintendo is limited to...

-Pictochat (Nintendo)
-DS Rakuhiki Jiten (Nintendo/Sanseido)
-Kanji Sonomama DS Rakubiki Jiten (Nintendo/Sanseido)
-Tabi no Yubi Sashi Kaiwa Chou DS: DS Series 1: Thai (Nintendo/TOSE)
-Tabi no Yubi Sashi Kaiwa Chou DS: DS Series 2: Chuugoku (Nintendo/TOSE)
-Tabi no Yubi Sashi Kaiwa Chou DS: DS Series 3: Kankoku (Nintendo/TOSE)
-Tabi no Yubi Sashi Kaiwa Chou DS: DS Series 4: America (Nintendo/TOSE)
-Tabi no Yubi Sashi Kaiwa Chou DS: DS Series 5: Deutsch (Nintendo/TOSE)
-Shaberu! DS Oryouri Navi (Nintendo)
-Nintendo DS Browser (Nintendo/Opera)

jj984jj said:
Well it's as much of a game as Nintendogs and Brain Training so yeah...
Again, Talkman is basically utility software. Which is pretty different from Nintendogs (pet sim) or Brain training (quiz game), both of which are actual games in well established, more than decade old gaming genres.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
Fuzzy, according to my super secret Famitsu charts, used Nintendo game sales count toward new ones too! That's why Media Create tracked more GameCubes sold than shipped!
Then I say NSMB will sell another 530K next week!

From what I recall, Talkman has plenty of Brain Traing-style Listening/Speaking tests and some hidden minigames (once you achieve some good test scores).

Amir0x

Banned
Talkman is a non-game, Nintendogs and Brain Training and Animal Crossing - all non-games.

Who cares, this is about NEW! Super Mario Bros. Finally the Japanese public embraces real games.

Amir0x said:
Talkman is a non-game, Nintendogs and Brain Training and Animal Crossing - all non-games.

I don't know enough about Talkman, but Nintendogs, Brain Training and Animal Crossing are games.

ioi

Banned
donny2112 said:
ioi,

I believe Fuzzy is trying to say that you previously stated that Media-Create undertracks Nintendo game sales, so the fact that they got it "right" this time invalidates all your previous assumptions about undertracking of Nintendo games by them. I usually consider Fuzzy a little more level-headed than that, though, so I very much think he was just joking and poking a little bit of fun at your assumptions. ;)

Besides, I think you've stated that the undertracking is more noticable in the long-term totals tracking companies give versus the overall shipped numbers given. The weekly numbers are too varied to look at individually, I'd think.

Yes I know what he said and I know it was in jest, the flaw is that we don't actually know where the 900k figure from Nintendo came from. I'd imagine Media Create, along with the 8.4m hardware "sold" whereas the Tetris and 950k DS in April probably came from their own shipments. It's very difficult to tell what came from where though since Jonnyram's original post was so vague. There are a lot of potential scenarios and we don't really know much about any of them. The fact still remains though, that for all other DS games the shipments seem to be tracking significantly higher than the figures we get from Media Create and so on, more significantly that we would expect them to be.

ioi

Banned
Latest data is up here.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japwk.php?week=1&publisher=Nintendo

New Super Mario Bros has the 5th largest first week ever for a Nintendo game, and I think a good target to track against for now is Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green which is just touching on 3m now.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=New+Super+Mario+Bros&name2=Pokemon+Fire+Red+%2F+Leaf+Green

Animal Crossing breaks the 3m mark, and the two Brain Trainings are over 2.5m, closing in quickly:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38865

Tetris DS is still tracking just ahead of English Training, and although not likely to have the same kind of legs, should cross 1m with ease.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Tetris+DS&name2=English+Training

Mario Kart DS is still keeping pace with Mario Kart 64, 2m looks possible now:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Mario+Kart+DS&name2=Mario+Kart+64

And the 2006 chart is already up on 2005, despite only being halfway through the year, with Brain Training 2 likely to pass FF XII in two weeks time and Nintendo taking something like half of all software sold so far in 2006.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japyearly.php?year=2006

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
Or, put another way, the largest first week ever for a non-Pokemon Nintendo game.

Well, we don't know what kind of numbers Super Mario Bros. 3 put up 16 or so years ago. Super Mario World on the other hand, probably didn't sell 900K because it was a launch game.

KINGMOKU

Jiggy37 said:
Yes, I forgot the disclaimer: best-selling game that we actually have data for.
That doesnt really diminish the results though.

What the DS is doing is beyond anything we have ever seen.

Memles

I totally want to see Video Game Training...using a scaled learning process, the "game" takes levels from various Nintendo games, and then works on various skills (Button Mashing, Hand-Eye coordination, puzzle solving, etc.) and then little tests are created based on one's skill level.

With all these non-gamers out there, surely they might want to get better at real games too.

polg

HAYGUYZ... just wanted to mention that the charts will be back once I automate them (SQL2005 + SQL Reporting for those who care). Just haven't had the time. I promise they will be back :D

Memles

imastalker co. said:
check out the first Wario Ware dude.

That doesn't count in the least; it neither guides your hand nor goes indepth into the importance of knowing one's surroundings. Wario Ware might get people used to basic skills, but it needs to apply them to real game situations. That's where (Real)* Game Training comes in, clearly.

Jiggy

Memles said:
I totally want to see Video Game Training...using a scaled learning process, the "game" takes levels from various Nintendo games, and then works on various skills (Button Mashing, Hand-Eye coordination, puzzle solving, etc.) and then little tests are created based on one's skill level.

With all these non-gamers out there, surely they might want to get better at real games too.
That actually sounds really cool, but I don't think Nintendo would ever do it. It goes against their whole Wii philosophy of wanting to make gaming more intuitive...

I couldn't agree more with that "Videogame training on playing videogames" videogame, cause quite frankly, it's starting to piss me off everytime I see an 8 year old or below, or 20 year old+ NOT KNOW HOW TO FREAKIN' DOUBLE JUMP!!!

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Well, we don't know what kind of numbers Super Mario Bros. 3 put up 16 or so years ago. Super Mario World on the other hand, probably didn't sell 900K because it was a launch game.

Well I have guesstimated Super Mario World at 220k as you can see on the site. It is only a fairly rough guess, but as I explained before it has been arrived at by consideration of a number of things

1) The fact that we know it jumped to around 60-70k the following christmas and then fell back to around 20k through 1992- we have some data for this. We also have data on Mario Land, Tetris on GB and Mario Bros 3 suggesting how much they were selling at that point too. As those titles are also likely to see a steady decline year on year (so they may have sold 1.5* as much in the same timeframe the year before) and as we have no other data for these games and probably never will, then we can track back and make some reasonable guesses.

2) We have hardware and total software figures on a yearly and sometimes 6 monthly basis going right back to launch. This means that, for example, if 1.6m SNES consoles were sold between Nov 90 and Mar 91 then we know that SMW can't have realistically sold more than this, same with early GB sales etc.

3) We can use trends of modern Mario titles (of which NSMB is a bit of an anomaly) and see how they track over a number of years.

We don't and never will have all the data, but we have enough to piece together little bits here and there and try to fill the gaps.

So I guess to answer your point, I'd realistically say Super Mario World could possibly have sold anywhere between 150 and 300k first week, while Mario Bros 3 could have been much higher, but the fact it was still doing 20-30k a week in 91-92 after being released in 1988 suggests it was another Mario game with massive legs and probably only a modest first week. Times have changed a little remember, same with the movie industry. Compare the box office for ET week on week to something like Spiderman 2, movies (and games) tend to be far more frontloaded these days. Just looking at something like Dragon Quest VI vs VII vs VIII or Final Fantasy VI vs VII vs VIII vs IX etc can show you that.

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Final+Fantasy+VI&name2=Final+Fantasy+XII

Top Bottom